Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Newb from NE Iowa

This is a discussion on Newb from NE Iowa within the New Puffer Fish Forum forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Just droppin in to say Hi. I have an issue to ask about just not sure if I should include ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes DooDude's Avatar

Newb from NE Iowa

Just droppin in to say Hi. I have an issue to ask about just not sure if I should include it in this post or start a new one?

Been Puffin for about a yr. Started a Humi about 5 mos ago. all has been fine till recently.

I have 2 Humis & a coolidor. I also will add that I do disaster work and use Hydrometers daily, so I understand them and also have a fullproof way of keeping the smaller hydrometers used in the humis calibrated well.

Problem is: recently Im experiencing alot of tunneling burn in my smokes. Has not been a problem until recently. Im averaging 64% and 58Deg. This I watch like a hawk, so I know its been mostly stable. I seems like maybe the outside of the sticks must be more moist then the inside?? Hence the tunneling burn. Im lost?

Not sure what the problem is or what to do. Any help would bemost appreciated. Thank You in advance. Michael.

No longer a community member.

Re: Newb from NE Iowa

to Puff, Michael. I sometimes experience tunneling when I smoke on a day where the ambient humidity is very high (pretty common in Southern Virginia. The wrapper will pull moisture out the air and slow its burn down.

Well Maybe thats the problem? Many say they outside of the sticks are to Humid, whick just doesnt make sense to me. Humi running 64% & 58deg F.

Howdy Michael

Welcome to Puff!

There are benefits that accrue based on posts and time since joining, so you might be better served by starting a new thread.

Meanwhile...

What kind of humidity medium are you using?

Did the sticks that are tunneling come from a box inside the coolidor?

Best wishes, Dafiddla
    Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Righteously Bitchin' voiceoverguy's Avatar

A fellow Iowan! Welcome to Puff!

Ole Crusty Spiked Fish tpharkman's Avatar

Welcome to the pond. I am in Iowa just south of you a little ways. Hope you enjoy your time here.
    Agnes, have you seen my Don Diegos?

Welcome Michael!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

TO PUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Another fellow Iowan. Welcome to Puff Michael. Don't have clue though as to your issues -- but welcome anyway.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Sprouthog's Avatar

Welcome, how long have they been at this humidity and temp?

Thanks for all the kind words from you fellow Iwegians. Most of the the smokes have been resting from 2/3 weeks to well over a month. That being said, I believe these particular smokes just need some more time? Over the weekend I/We smoked at least a Doz of my standard favorites that have been resting in the same Humi and there were no issues whith any of them. Im going to say they just need a litttle more rest? Smoke em if you got em?

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DooDude View Post
    Smoke em if you got em?
    And if you don't have em -- get em -- and then smoke em!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Sprouthog's Avatar

I usually don't smoke anything new until it's rested for 2 months. If I want to try it sooner I'll put it in a ziplock bag with a hygrometer for 24hrs, check the RH then make the call. My ready to smokes are at 62 and my storage is at 65. My temp runs 65 to 70 degrees.

Welcome to the site man