Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Introduction post by a tall cigar-smokin' lady

This is a discussion on Introduction post by a tall cigar-smokin' lady within the New Puffer Fish Forum forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hey, I'm Amy. Started smoking cigars about a year ago, I smoke 1-2 a month (trying to avoid getting totally ...

Introduction post by a tall cigar-smokin' lady

Hey, I'm Amy.

Started smoking cigars about a year ago, I smoke 1-2 a month (trying to avoid getting totally addicted). I generally stick to mild cigars, as I'm not in it for the nicotine, but I need to have my red dots now and then!
    I'm indie software/game developer,guitar & bass player, and a lover of firearms. I'm also into fish keeping, gardening, hiking, camping, that kind of stuff.

Nice to meet everyone!

While I'm here, does anyone have suggestions for darker cigars with a little more complexity, but not with a nicotine level that will stroke me out? I know they usually go hand in hand, but certainly there are dark-wrapped, light-filled exceptions? I'm all ears!

Thanks!

I wasn't kidding when I said I was a tall cigar-smokin' lady.

Introduction post by a tall cigar-smokin' lady-amelia-cigar3.jpg
    Last edited by Amelia Isabelle; 05-03-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Adding a photo of myself

Re: Introduction post by a tall cigar-smokin' lady

Try Fuente Hemingway Short Stories. My gal enjoys them. Welcome. I'm a Sig, cigar and guitar person as well. Just Cowboy chords though in the privacy of my home.
    Amelia Isabelle likes this.

I love Sigs, I don't care what anyone says. One day I'm going to grab a P228.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Isabelle View Post
    I love Sigs, I don't care what anyone says. One day I'm going to grab a P228.
    I have a P239 and a P226...but I can't tell you here because it's the cigar forum. If you haven't seen, there is a firearms forum here as well.

I'm in no shape to be affording firearms at the moment, sadly. I live in the City, and I don't love it. I miss being out in the country. I miss being able to shoot whenever, the privacy, the nature-y stuff. Milwaukee is butts.

Welcome Amelia! A sig is next on my list, current fav is my 92FS and my slightly furnitured AR. I am an IT Consultant, long walks on the beach...wait wrong forum... never lived in the country but I imagine how relaxing and tranquil it would be.
    For the cigars try the AF Maduros with a couple of months of rest on them.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Welcome to the place and since you're starting this hobby your tastes are going to change...a lot. Trying mild cigars first is always a good idea and then let YOUR own tastes dictate what you like as what some of us might tell you might probably be something you won't like. This is your personal journey so start buying singles and maybe in multiples of 3 and samplers that have different brand names. Judging by your photo this is going to be a very busy thread....good luck.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

lol, I was under the impression that I was allowed to divulge a little information about myself in my introduction post. I'm not going too far off topic, I hope!

Another for the AF, I'll have to check them out. I have historically not loved smaller ring gauge cigars (they never seem to taste as good), I'd rather smoke a few inches of a churchill, cut off the ash, blow out the smoke, and light it up again later. I have a small humidor (it says 50 count, but I call b/s. It's got about 20 in it right now, and I wouldn't feel comfortable adding more than a half a dozen more); does anyone have any ballpark experiences as to how long it takes for nicotine content to dissipate in a bold smoke?

I love the complexity of dark cigars, but it's just too much nicotine. Even after a half of most Connecticuts, I get a little dizzy. I want to try and take it easy with the cigar smoking, I still try and limit myself to one or two a month. As much as I'd like to burn an entire oscuro, I just don't see it happenin'.

Here's my modest noob humi!

Introduction post by a tall cigar-smokin' lady-humidor.jpg
    Last edited by Amelia Isabelle; 05-05-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Adding a photo

Well, from what I read, it takes about 4-5 years for nicotine to completely go away,but i have only been enjoying cigars for about 3 and i don't have any sticks, for now, that are that old. I just started collecting and aging so i will check in a few years and get back to you...lol I will say this, some of my everyday maduros really mellow out after about 6 months, so that might be a good starting point.
    it's ok to share a little about yourself

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Instead of looking for low-strength cigars, try drinking a soda with your maduros (root beer or dr pepper for dark wrappers, cream soda for the lighter ones is my preference). The sugar and/or corn syrup will help counteract the nicotine effects, to a pretty great degree.

Also, check out the Liga Privada Papas Fritas, the L'Atelier Cracker Crumbs, and the Drew Estate MUWAT Baitfish. All are the dark, bold flavor you're looking for, but in a much smaller package.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Thanks for the advice, but I am on a keto diet. I aim to limit my sugar intake to 20g a day (about 1/3 of a can of soda), so that's not gonna be a thing unfortunately.

Elco... I can already see that a huge custom-build humidor is in my future. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Isabelle View Post
    Elco... I can already see that a huge custom-build humidor is in my future. lol
    I had my little 50 count for a couple of years, then I setup a 48qt cooler, which is almost full, now I have a CHC-251S Whynter Cigar Cooler waiting to be setup, unfortunately it has been sitting in my garage for a couple weeks while I wait to receive some new Spanish cedar drawers for it, it came with some glue on the originals so MFR is sending me replacements. That is what I am going to keep my aged/aging sticks in.

Welcome to the rabbit hole...lol

Quote Originally Posted by elco69 View Post
    I had my little 50 count for a couple of years, then I setup a 48qt cooler, which is almost full, now I have a CHC-251S Whynter Cigar Cooler waiting to be setup, unfortunately it has been sitting in my garage for a couple weeks while I wait to receive some new Spanish cedar drawers for it, it came with some glue on the originals so MFR is sending me replacements. That is what I am going to keep my aged/aging sticks in.

Welcome to the rabbit hole...lol
    It's still cheaper than owning a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by NormH3 View Post
    It's still cheaper than owning a boat.
    Agreed!

It'll just have to be something to work for. I'm way too broke right now, even to fill up the rest of my 50 count. One day! *daydreams*

I kept wishlisting dark looking cigars that, as the vendor rated, were 'medium strength' (as opposed to 'full'), but apparently that is a descriptor for flavor intensity, not nicotine? Are darker wrapper cigars always higher in nicotine, is it more based on the filler? harumph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast