Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Don Thomas Corojo -- A nice turd!!!

This is a discussion on Don Thomas Corojo -- A nice turd!!! within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; PREFACE: Okay... It was one of those "impulse buys" at C-bid about 8 months ago. The tissue-wrapped presentation caught my ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Don Thomas Corojo -- A nice turd!!!

PREFACE:

Okay... It was one of those "impulse buys" at C-bid about 8 months ago. The tissue-wrapped presentation caught my eye. So did the low box-price. So I scored a couple of boxes, tucked them away in a cooler, and never touched them until two days ago. I'm NOT a fan of Corojos (prefer the Maduros), and I expected a real dog turd... But after smoking a few of them, my belief that fine cigars CAN be had at value prices was restored!

CONSTRUCTION & BURN:

Even before I peeled away the tissue wrap on this Churchill, it was obvious that this thing was like a petrified turd... Hard as a rock! I moistened and clipped the cap (cleanly), and grimaced, expecting to endure a hard draw and unpredictable burn.

A few puffs changed my mind. Draw was great, and it settled into a nice, even burn without correction. I left it in the tray several times for several minutes, and it came back to life immediately, with no fuss! I've fiddled with cigars three times the price that exibit burn characteristics three times worse!

BODY & FLAVOR:

This is where it gets weird! I expected the worst!

I'd peg it in the medium-body range, producing a moderate condensity of smoke... Kind of the nice, "lazy" body that makes for a good afternoon smoke.

The FLAVOR is what really hit me, and I believe much of it has to do with the wrapper. Somehow, they selected a wrap that allows both SWEET and SPICY flavors to envelope the palate. It's kind of the cigar equivalent of a cross between milk chocolate and dark chocolate... Tough to describe, but a nice balance!

OVERALL:

Please don't bid on these things until AFTER I've scored another box or two. And please don't expect the "greenies" to deliver much pleasure fresh from the mailbox.

This is a cigar that wants to be "tucked away" for enjoyment down the road. It wants to show you how mellow a Corojo can become with age and patience.

(As usual, my opinions are entirely subjective, and may be entirely preposterous!)

Elder Puffer Fish Leader ca21455's Avatar

Re: Don Thomas Corojo -- A nice turd!!!

Thanks for the review. Some of the Don Thomas smokes are pretty good especially considering the price.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Smokey Bob's Avatar

One of my favorite go-to cigars! I am smoking one as I type.

Robert
    They call it menopause because MAD COW was taken.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

The Sun Grown Don Thomas is Excellent wait for your local B&M to recieve shipment of these.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish cricky101's Avatar

Thanks for the thorough review. And your disclaimer at the end made me chuckle.
    ----
    Chris

what a nice suprise that musta been, a lot of non cuban "corojos" don't agree with me either but on your recommendation I won't be so quick to run from these

thanks
    - Jason

As always Palm, your reviews are great!

No longer a community member.

This one is a definite surprise. You expect the worst, and get something pretty
    darn good.

Wow, these are cheap! And, they are decent looking. Think I will pick up a 5er and give them a try, they are cheap enough - in the "you cant go wrong" territory!

I stopped smoking them a few years back guess ill pick some up again and give them a try. (the new ones.) thxs for the review.
    God is good

Flag signing for Alex herf. Cast your vote
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=181336

Quote Originally Posted by palm55 View Post
    PREFACE:

Okay... It was one of those "impulse buys" at C-bid about 8 months ago. The tissue-wrapped presentation caught my eye. So did the low box-price. So I scored a couple of boxes, tucked them away in a cooler, and never touched them until two days ago. I'm NOT a fan of Corojos (prefer the Maduros), and I expected a real dog turd... But after smoking a few of them, my belief that fine cigars CAN be had at value prices was restored!

CONSTRUCTION & BURN:

Even before I peeled away the tissue wrap on this Churchill, it was obvious that this thing was like a petrified turd... Hard as a rock! I moistened and clipped the cap (cleanly), and grimaced, expecting to endure a hard draw and unpredictable burn.

A few puffs changed my mind. Draw was great, and it settled into a nice, even burn without correction. I left it in the tray several times for several minutes, and it came back to life immediately, with no fuss! I've fiddled with cigars three times the price that exibit burn characteristics three times worse!

BODY & FLAVOR:

This is where it gets weird! I expected the worst!

I'd peg it in the medium-body range, producing a moderate condensity of smoke... Kind of the nice, "lazy" body that makes for a good afternoon smoke.

The FLAVOR is what really hit me, and I believe much of it has to do with the wrapper. Somehow, they selected a wrap that allows both SWEET and SPICY flavors to envelope the palate. It's kind of the cigar equivalent of a cross between milk chocolate and dark chocolate... Tough to describe, but a nice balance!

OVERALL:

Please don't bid on these things until AFTER I've scored another box or two. And please don't expect the "greenies" to deliver much pleasure fresh from the mailbox.

This is a cigar that wants to be "tucked away" for enjoyment down the road. It wants to show you how mellow a Corojo can become with age and patience.

(As usual, my opinions are entirely subjective, and may be entirely preposterous!)
    Nice review! I absolutely agree with you. These are probably the most night and day cigar between green and age. I got a wheel of the maddie's around a year ago and thought they were one of the nazties cigar's I've ever had. I pulled one out two days ago and this baby was plump full of flavor! I couldn't believe it! I mean, this tasted like a $10+ stick.

These get my vote for the cigar with the most potential.
    "While smoking a cigar, we are in the presence of eternity...the smoke drifts gently heavenward on its quest to combine with the great eternal oneness." - Prince Sined Yar Maharg Love Jimmy

Maturing Puffer Fish

I'm bumping this for an inexpensive smoke - I grabbed a five pack of these to try (did not want to blind buy a box), I have smoked a lot of Don Thomas Cigars. The two I have tried have both been decent sticks (without me aging them at all), not off the wall great but a great value for the money. Mine were 6x50's special edition Corojo's, burned fairly well for a Don Thomas. Each box I have ever purchased of theirs has a few bad sticks in them, goes with the territory for them I believe, I always get one with a knot in it or something and can't draw, I throw it and grab another. This Corojo is by far the best of their cigars I have smoked and the price really can not be beat. (I have smoked the Classico's, Special Connecticut's and even a box of Churchill maduro's when they made them years ago, which was really bland). I would smoke the Connecticuts again if they did not have so many throw aways in the box. The Don Thomas Corojo is a decent stick for under 3 bucks.