Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Barber-Pole", "Candy-Cane" Ghurka.....(Long..)

This is a discussion on "Barber-Pole", "Candy-Cane" Ghurka.....(Long..) within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Not sure what it's called......but this was a HUGE cigar (double corona I imagine....if not, at least a churchill size) ...

"Barber-Pole", "Candy-Cane" Ghurka.....(Long..)

Not sure what it's called......but this was a HUGE cigar (double corona I imagine....if not, at least a churchill size) stick that RADAR graciously sent me in the Ground Zero Atomic bombing run that I was the unsuspecting, (but welcome ), victim of. (Pictures are visible in the "Ground Zero" or "Thanks for the Mammaries" threads.....)

RADAR actually sent me a 5-PACK of these beauties, along with some wonderful non-Cubans and a couple of Robainas!!!

THANKS YET AGAIN, BROTHA!!!

Anyhow, I fired up one of these bad boys the other day at my local watering hole. The looks I got were priceless, as no less than 4 people came over and inquired to "What the hell IS that your smoking?" For those not familiar, these smokes have a contrasting, light and dark, dual-twisted wrapper, much like the Arturo Fuente Between-The-Lines. I can only assume that the two different wrappers were Connecticut Shade and Cameroon...(someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

The construction on these was nothing short of perfect. The different wrappers were exactly the same width, and they gracefully twisted to their ending at the cap with precision. No veins that I could find, no bumps, no imperfections noted. I was impressed just looking at it, and found it difficult to set it on fire.......(but, reluctantly....you know I did!!)

The pre-light aroma was nothing to really get exited about, as it wasn't strong or overly noteworthy. (maybe my sense of smell is not what it used to be......that's why I always struggle with these reviews.....I just can't discern all the different flavors that the "pros" around here seem to find with seemingly effortless regularity....)

I snipped the cap off, and was surprised that the little circle actually had both colors of wrapper in it.....(kind of like a little "Yin-Yang" swirl). I had not expected this, as the lighter Connecticut Shade wrapper appeared to make up most, if not all, of the cap. I guess the darker leaf was underneath or something.......kind cool to look at sitting on the bar next to my drink!! Any way, my meager attempt at a review presses on:

The foot toasted quickly and evenly. No problems getting the entire end to turn a nice charcoal black color.....the wrapper did not try to light quicker than the binder/filler. I then began puffing to draw the first bit of flavor throught the stick. A sweet waft enveloped the air around me as the blue hued smoke lifted into the neon lights of the sports-bar. Immediately, several bar patrons looked over to me. This twisty-thing that I had lit up attracted people's attention!! A girl at the end of the bar must've smelled it when the air was carried down to her and her male companion, as she gave me a "thumbs-up" and then her guy did the same. They probably wished they had one!! Ah.....the jealously of the cigarette smokers ensues yet again......
    My wife said "It smells good....." (Not sure what that really means, however, as she's never told me a cigar smelled bad!!!) So take it for what it's worth!!

The initial flavor was very surprising. I was expecting a medium-bodied smoke, due to the darker of the two wrappers; but this one was decidedly mild. A very smooth and cool smoke that had a hint of sweetness to it. So I figured with such a long cigar, it would only get stronger as we smoked on. More on that thought later.....!!

The ash was tight, with little flaking. I was impressed with how firm it was, considering it was two twisted wrappers. It remained firm throughout the entire smoke, and I only had to touch up the stick once at about half-way. This was probably my fault, however, as I was putting it to rest on the ashtray several times as I was drinking a huge Franziskaner Hefe Weissen in between sips of Wild Turkey 101. (I like a strong drink to wet my palate in between some of the puffs. I find the combination is exquisite!!). Even my constant handling and passing the cigar to my wife (and her handling of it) did nothing to cause the wrapper to unravel/crack or split in any way. A real top-notch example of what an accomplished roller can produce.

As I approached half-time with this large stogie, my wife and I both noticed that the flavor profile was not changing. Not one bit. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as this tasted very, very good. It was just a bit more mild than we are used to. It's importatnt to note that this stick was not TOO mild.....again, it tasted very good, with big, copious amounts of smoke. by the way, the draw was perfect......especially for such a long vitola. One only needed to gently pull to fill one's entire mouth/throat with leafy goodness!! A pleasant suprise, as lately I've experienced a few problems with long cigars.

My wife said she would smoke more of my stick (did I just say that? ) when it got toward the end so she could get a "stronger" taste to it. She actually likes the strong, full flavored smokes the best....although she doesn't smoke them that much. So I continued to quietly puff away in between gazing at it's swirled beauty in the flickering light of about 20 TVs in the bar. Nothing like a tall, twisted cigar. (kind of like me! I supposed).......it was fitting, I thought, as I sipped some more whiskey.

Onward........Through the fog.......(damn the torpedoes!):

To our surprise, this smoke tasted exactly the same all the way through. It never got bitter or "hot"....even as it was approaching the very end. Smooth, creamy, almost caramel-like flavor was what I noticed most with an underlying hint of "earthiness" (probably due to the darker of the two wrappers...).....right down to the delicious finger-burning little nub.

I don't think I've ever experienced this before. Every other smoke I've tried, (especially in the larger sizes) changed at least a little bit. Even my wife was shocked. She commented that: "I think I could actually smoke the whole thing....." (She said this because she finds that almost all cigars get to be "too much" at the end...this one wasn't)

Even though the smoky journey I went on with this stick took aver an hour and a half to complete.....I felt it was over too soon. Parting is always such sweet sorrow......

All in all, this was a very enjoyable smoke. The uniqueness of the appearance tends to enhance one's experience, for sure, especially in the presence of non-cigar-smokers. Try to find one, it won't dissapoint you, even if you are prone to lean toward the fuller-flavored smokes. I don't know where RADAR got them, but they are certainly an impressive smoke. Maybe someone can chime in here and tell us what they're called, and when they were produced. I could find nothing on them when doing a search.

I'm just happy as hell I've got four more to smoke!! Thanks again to a great BOTL!!!
    Last edited by Uniputt; 04-20-2005 at 03:20 PM.

INSERT CLEVER, COMICAL WITTICISM HERE

[SIZE="2"].[/SIZE]

No longer a community member.

Re: "Barber-Pole", "Candy-Cane" Ghurka.....(Long..)

Very nice. Stories around a review are the best. Torano makes a nice cigar and K Hansottia blends a nice range of medium bodied smokes. Barber poles are cool.

Can walk again.

Excellent review U-putt! Sounds like a good golf course smoke. I've been wanting to try one. I've seen them with conn and mad wrappers. Maybe those wouldn't be as mild, but they do look great and a good conversation starter.

NCRM

I love Toranos!! In fact, when I first started smoking, the Reserva Selecta Churchill was my go-to smoke. (I started out with the milder blends)

Now, two of my favorite Non-Cubans are the Exodus 1959 Gold torpedo and the 1916 Cameroon Robusto.

I received a few K. Hansotia-labeled smoked in the recent bomb blasts, and am looking forward to giving them a go soon!!

[SIZE="2"].[/SIZE]

Nice review! I've never had any barber pole cigar, but I have to admit they look pretty cool. The only cigar I've tried with two different wrappers is the La Escepcion Tapa Negra that I picked up in a fiver from JR a few years ago. I'll have to check these out.
    What would Lemmy do?

D. Generate posts: Now with added fake British accent! Brilliant! Cheers!

User who chose to leave. Franksmith's Avatar

Awesome review.... thanks!

Radar gifted me one of these also in a contest (Thanks Radar!) and I have yet to smoke it but your review definitely has me looking forward to it!

Sure is a big rascal!

Quote Originally Posted by Franksmith
    Awesome review.... thanks!

Radar gifted me one of these also in a contest (Thanks Radar!) and I have yet to smoke it but your review definitely has me looking forward to it!

Sure is a big rascal!

Yup, it's a big-un....! And was oh-so-good. You'll really like it, I'm sure.

Does anyone know what they are called?

What are the actual wrappers on it?

The binder?

The filler?

The age?

(I know........ alot of questions....but inquiring minds want to know!! )

[SIZE="2"].[/SIZE]

Puffer Fish with some spikes Cobrajet's Avatar

Wow, my first post here and I actually know what I'm talking about. Amazing!

The cigar mentioned here is the Gurkha Grand Master Dos Capas, meaning two wrappers. It's wrapped with alternating Cameroon (lighter) and Habana 2000 (darker) leaves. The rest, binder and filler, is aged (no idea how long) Dominican. The size is 8.5x52.

I have to admit to being sort of a Gurkha junkie and was quite pleased to read your great review of these. I've had several resting since January and am eager to try them. Thanks for the review!
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I'm not interested." - Homer Simpson

I want to start by saying nice review! Looks like you spent a lot of time typing it up, and the details make it fun to read. That said, am I the only one that gets a vibe from the candy canes? I'll probably try one just to try it, but unless it is the best cigar I have ever smoked I think I'll stay away. I like the complexity in a simple cigar, I guess (strictly *MHO*) candycanes seem too showboaty to me. When a cigar has an immediate "what the hell is that" response I think it overlooks the important aspects that make up a good cigar. Again I am in no way judging this cigar, because I have never had it. I'm just sharing my initial reaction, and wondering if I'm the only psycho Just my .32 cents.

User who chose to leave. Franksmith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonVon
    ... I'll probably try one just to try it, but unless it is the best cigar I have ever smoked I think I'll stay away. I like the complexity in a simple cigar, I guess (strictly *MHO*) candycanes seem too showboaty to me. When a cigar has an immediate "what the hell is that" response I think it overlooks the important aspects that make up a good cigar. Again I am in no way judging this cigar, because I have never had it. I'm just sharing my initial reaction, and wondering if I'm the only psycho Just my .32 cents.

I don't think you are off the mark unecessarily.... I too think that they look "showy" but fortunately like you I am withholding judgment for the real test which fortunately has been provided by Radar on a contest bomb. In the form of a tiny Gurkha I will plunge into a testing effort that might take well over an hour!

There are so many cigar companies out there that are resorting to marketing instead of quality & reputation but that is the nature of the beast in todays market... of ANY segment.

Like my Dad says... "try it once and if you do not like it, you never have to try it again" and frankly.... testing cigars is not what I consider too much of a chore

Quote Originally Posted by Franksmith
    I don't think you are off the mark unecessarily.... I too think that they look "showy" but fortunately like you I am withholding judgment for the real test which fortunately has been provided by Radar on a contest bomb. In the form of a tiny Gurkha I will plunge into a testing effort that might take well over an hour!

There are so many cigar companies out there that are resorting to marketing instead of quality & reputation but that is the nature of the beast in todays market... of ANY segment.

Like my Dad says... "try it once and if you do not like it, you never have to try it again" and frankly.... testing cigars is not what I consider too much of a chore
    Well said

Maturing Puffer Fish

I have 5 of the Sherpa Mystic Special Edition Dos Capas I got off of Cbid a few weeks back during my big spending spree. They look awsome and cant wait to try one, but for now they are sitting in my humidor along with 6 Gurkha Legend Aniversario Perfectos and 5 Sherpa Diablo Presidente's (now thats a huge mother cigar...

I just keep staring into the humidor longingly every day waiting for them to ripen...and my cold to go away.

Awsome review. Granted Im totally new to all this but I definately believe the mood and events surrounding the smoke add alot to the experience.

Awesome review. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet
    Wow, my first post here and I actually know what I'm talking about. Amazing!

The cigar mentioned here is the Gurkha Grand Master Dos Capas, meaning two wrappers. It's wrapped with alternating Cameroon (lighter) and Habana 2000 (darker) leaves. The rest, binder and filler, is aged (no idea how long) Dominican. The size is 8.5x52.

I have to admit to being sort of a Gurkha junkie and was quite pleased to read your great review of these. I've had several resting since January and am eager to try them. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the replies, all of you!

And cobrajet, thanks for clearing up the construction of these. If the lighter wrapper is indeed a Cameroon, it's the lightest I've seen......it really had me thinking it was a Connecticut Shade.

[SIZE="2"].[/SIZE]

Very entertaining and informative review David. Thank you..
    Skeeter a bad influence? I think not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast