Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Good Cheap Cigars?

This is a discussion on Good Cheap Cigars? within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; "Cheap" is often in the eye of the purchaser. I can't fault any suggestions in this thread, but here are ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes craigchilds's Avatar

Re: Good Cheap Cigars?

"Cheap" is often in the eye of the purchaser. I can't fault any suggestions in this thread, but here are some "even cheaper" ideas:

If you're looking for real cheap, you could buy some handmade mixed filler bundle cigars. Riata is a pretty consistent cigar in this category. As with any mixed filler, you have to watch out for burn problems.

Or you could go for Consuegra, which are seconds of Punch, Hoyo de Monterry, ERDM, JR Ultimates, Excalibur, and a few other popular brands. I've found the ratio of good cigars to bad ones is 60%/40%. But, hey, for under a buck...

On CigarBid, you can usually get a box of Legends Series cigars for $30.

& finally, I recommend JR Cuban Alternatives. A lot of people complain about burn problems with these sticks, but I don't usually have problems with them. In particular, the Alt to Excalibur Prensada and the Limitada Edicion Alt to Montocristo Edmundo are pretty serious smokes.

Roly's are pretty good also. I read about them in another thread and ordered some. The No.4 maduro's were about 17.00 for 25. I was VERY pleasantly suprised. Easy draw, lots of smoke with a peppery, floral and then a slightly cocoa taste at the end. Allthough it is mild to medium, pretty good for the price. I gotta say though it is one ugly looking smoke. But in this case "looks don't matter" (This was smoked fresh though)

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RumblePen's Avatar

I can give you some suggestions for great cigars that are cheap if you buy them by the box online:

1. Vegas De Fonseca Sobrino - $52 a box (20) - These are one of my favorites and I'm amazed at how inexpensive they are. I like them better than Don Carlos, the tastes are very similar, only the Vegas is smoother and doesn't give you that nicotine acid reflux feeling.

2. La Aroma De Cuba Anything - You can get the Churchills, Robustos, Coronas, Double Cornas, all at under $4 a stick per box, and they're worth it.

3. Puros Indios Sampler Bundles - CI often put these on special and they're always on Cbid. You get 5 different varieties of PI's at $1.50 a stick (or less incase of Cbid). Usually include 4 Maximas, 4 Cuba Aliados, 4 Cienfugos, 4 Viejo, and 4 Regular ol' Indios in either nat or maduro.

4. Saint Luis Rey Rothchildes - for a little over $2 a stick you get a 50 cab of tasty 5 x 54 Robustos that just get better and better the longer they sit.

5 Maria Mancini - Often specialed at JR's for around $1.50 a stick. Really good smoke for the money.
    "I need a bigger cigar than Zanuck!" Samuel Fuller.

Here in Portugal, (I know this wont make any difference to anyone but just for interest´s sake) cheaper cigars consist of:

Don Sebastian €1.50 ea ( worst cigar I´ve had in my life!!!! )
    Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleurs €2.40 ea - box 25 - €60.00
    Partagas Mille Fleurs €2.40 ea - box 25 - €60.00
    Partagas Aristocrats €2.50 ea - box 25 - €62.00
    Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs...

Quote Originally Posted by craigchilds
    & finally, I recommend JR Cuban Alternatives. A lot of people complain about burn problems with these sticks, but I don't usually have problems with them. In particular, the Alt to Excalibur Prensada and the Limitada Edicion Alt to Montocristo Edmundo are pretty serious smokes.
    I bought a bundle of the JR Limitada Edicon Alt to Montecristo Edmundo a few weeks ago and I'll have to agree that they are a pretty decent smoke. A little too full bodied for my preference, but thats just me. They do not burn as evenly as a premium, but for $1.40 each I can't complain.

JR even threw in a Cigar II lighter, all for about $28!

Full grown Puffer Fish

I have found anything by cusano is good and cheap.

Cusano corojo
    Cusano vintage 97
    Cusano CC
    "Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain."
    Mark Twain

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Alpedhuez55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet
    Roly's are pretty good also. I read about them in another thread and ordered some. The No.4 maduro's were about 17.00 for 25.
    THey are niced for a mixed filler cigar. They burn a little quicker, but Rolando Reyas makes a lot of good cigars.

I also agree with the Cigar Bid Samplers on Puros Indios and Cuba Aliados. Theya re a great buy. I just got my second sampeper with 10 of each brand in Toro size. I also got the Robustos. They were around #20 each, shich works out to a buck a stick. Cannot go wrong for that price!!
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Alpha Puffer Fish

I like the Sancho Panza line. Good cigars at a reasonable price. Almost all are under $4 / stick. I also like CAO. Not too expensive for what you get.

Cheap is relative as to whether you mean single price or price per based on a box or bundle. I just ran the comparison shopper spreadsheet and hit 123 cigars under $2 a stick, 260 in the $2 - $3 range, and a total of 796 under $4! This list is of brands/lines I like a lot and includes;

Arturo Fuente
    Camacho Havana
    El Rey Del Mundo
    Flor de Oliva
    Flor de Oliva 10th Anny
    Flor de Oliva Corojo
    Fonseca
    Fonseca SE
    Fonseca Serie F
    Graycliff Emerald
    H. Upmann
    Hoyo de Monterrey
    Hoyo de Monterrey Factory-Fresh
    Joya de Nic. Antano 1970
    Joya de Nicaragua
    La Aurora
    La Gloria Cubana
    Montesino
    Nestor Reserve Edition
    Occidental Reserve
    Oliva Grand Cameroon
    Oliva Grand Maduro
    Padron
    Perdomo Exclusivo
    Punch
    Punch Gran Puro
    Sancho Panza
    Sancho Panza Dbl Maduro
    Sancho Panza X-Fuerte
    Sun Grown Fac Sel by RP
    Torano - The Brick
    Torano Prensado Nicaragua Selection
    Vegas de Fonseca

I'd say cross-reference top25cigar with the shopper at http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/cigar...ces_cigars.php
    When I walk through the house, I always have someone proceed me with a boom-box playing Darth Vader theme music to lend a weighty and ominous air to my approach.

Reading More Posting Less Cigar Hound's Avatar

As a newbie myself, I appreciate the comments on "use the search function". I've asked a few questions on other forums and gotten this standard reply. Sadly it has kept me from using that forum any more for fear of "offending" the FOG's. It seems to me that some of the FOG's on these other forums have taken to using the forum as their personal blogs or comment spaces and don't appreciate new additions to it. I will continue to stick around here however just because it appears that most of the botl here can still appreciate "newbies". THANKS!

One way that a noobee can avoid getting flamed in the first three replies to a question is to simply state, "I've tried a search, but couldn't find ....".

Yes, this topic has been done everywhere over and over, but timing is critical. What was a good cheap smoke a year ago may not apply today. Using the search is a bit of an art and some will always be better at it then others.

I personally love to answer and then ding about using the search, hoping to provide some playful ribbing and still help the asker.
    When I walk through the house, I always have someone proceed me with a boom-box playing Darth Vader theme music to lend a weighty and ominous air to my approach.

Quote Originally Posted by txmatt

This is a good topic to bring up repeatedly in my opinion. This "use the search" insistance is getting out of hand. Why not just send everyone with a question here to the library with the name of a book since it has been covered before? The advantage to this discussion forum is staying current. If you don't feel like answering a question you did before, don't click the damned thread. If you do click the thread however you might just learn something from a member who wasn't around last time the topic surfaced.
    Amen, my brother. New cigars come out all the time, so a post that's months old may not have all the info newer smokers need.

Oh, and as for cheap smokes that are really good, check into the Private Stock line (used to be Davidoff seconds, but are now something else. Still really good smokes for the money!!).
    "Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer."
    Ted Williams

keeper of the rolodex Ms. Floydp's Avatar

Prices are always changing everyday. I like seeing this thread pop up... even though it does bring out alot of LOL

We've been smoking (right now as a matter of fact) alot of Tampa Sweethearts $28.00 for a bundle of $20 but it also allows you to buy Anejo's and Fuentes for MSRP. Also been smoking alot of Dominico's (Torano) that we got from Cigar Auctioneer for $20 a bundle (25).
    Address Book Protocol:100 posts/60 day membership or participation in NST or Trade. 2 of 3 requirements must be met to request addresses. You can be added immed.

Full grown Puffer Fish CigarHoss's Avatar

TXMatt is the MAN when it comes to good, inexpensive cigar suggestions.
    ---------------------------------

"...one fist of iron...the other of steel...if the right one don't getcha then the left one will..."

RJT
    Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes RJT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by txmatt

This is a good topic to bring up repeatedly in my opinion. This "use the search" insistance is getting out of hand. Why not just send everyone with a question here to the library with the name of a book since it has been covered before? The advantage to this discussion forum is staying current. If you don't feel like answering a question you did before, don't click the damned thread. If you do click the thread however you might just learn something from a member who wasn't around last time the topic surfaced.

Discussing things like this is what made Club Stogie feel like a home to me; it is selfish for us to limit newbies the joy of interacting and discussing the topic again because someone here a year ago already talked about it. Certain topics, ESPECIALLY CIGARS should be discussed repeatedly.

Prices change, availability changes, and new cigars are found. There are cigars that are available now that weren't 6 months and a year ago, some that were available back then no longer are or have increased in price.

My posts in those linked threads are certainly out of date. vl1016, this is a great topic and I am glad you brought it up.. I will come up with some suggestions for you later on today. Right now I need to get some coffee and take a dump..

-Matt-
    I wish the sign said "I'm with the smart guy. I agree toatally with your thoughts on this subject. RJT

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast