Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

List of cigars for beginners - Requests of Okierock

This is a discussion on List of cigars for beginners - Requests of Okierock within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Okierock was asking for a list of cigars that would be good for beginners...and he seems to have similar tastes ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish adamh_25_'s Avatar

Lightbulb List of cigars for beginners - Requests of Okierock

Okierock was asking for a list of cigars that would be good for beginners...and he seems to have similar tastes to myself. When I first got here I had a post that asked you all if there were any coffe/chocolaty flavored cigars but any cigar that would be good to try would be fine for the list too. And I have one heck of a list. So I'm gonna post it up and I hope other people get the use out of it that I have.(M is maduro)...(After the dash is just recommended sizes but anything in the line should be just as good as what is listed.)
    Cigars to try:
    1. Carlos Toran Exodus 1959 Cigars - Double Corona
    2. Carlos Torano Exodus Silver (Carameley) - Torpedo Especial
    3. Onyx Reserve - Mini, Toro
    4. Padron - 3000(M)
    5. Padron 1964 Anniversary - Corona (M)
    6. Padron - Panatela
    7. El Rey del Mundo (Hon) - Robusto Larga (M)
    8. Rocky Patel Vintage - 1992 Robusto, 1992 Torpedo
    9. Rocky Patel Sun Grown - Robusto, Torpedo
    10. Ashton Virgin Sun Grown - Tres Mystique, Spellbound, Sorcerer
    11. Partagas Black - Toro (Age)
    12. Trinidad (D.R.) - Toro Maduro
    13. Rocky Patel - Edge
    14. Partagas Black - Maximo
    15. Camacho SLR Maduro Robusto (Rothschild Maduro?)
    16. El Mejor Espresso - Torpedo, Corona, Any
    17. Arturo Fuente Anejo - Reserva No. 50
    18. Casa Tronano
    19. La Gloria Cubana Serie R

Cigars that will kick your butt.....aka BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    1. Camachos
    2. Rocky Patel Edge
    3. Olivia "O" Bold
    4. Joya De Nicaragua Antanos
    5. La Flor Dominicana Ligero Double Ligero Chisel
    6. Bolivar Belicoso Fino
    7. CAO Extreme
    8. Juan Lopez Epicure # 1
    9. El Rey Del Mundo Robusto
    10. Partagas Black Label
    11. Joya De Nicaragua
    12. El Rico Habano
    13. Quinteros
    14. Romeo y Juliet Hermoso #2 IL
    15. Siglo VI
    16. Romeo y Juliet Cazadore
    17. Litto Gomez
    18. H Upmann Corona Major
    19. Cohiba Siglo 2
    20. Partagas Lusitanie ?
    21. Opus X
    22. CAO Brazilia Pirahna
    23. La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5
    Hope you enjoy!
    Adam
    Chuck Norris played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun and won.
    When Chuck Norris pees he clogs the toilet.

Re: List of cigars for beginners - Requests of Okierock

Thats quite a list with a wide variety of prices and cigars. I have actually tried several of these and have several others in my humi. I have not tried anything from the Carlos Torano line or the Oliva line but I will be looking for them. My local store doesn't handle the Oliva's.

Here is a list of cigars I have tried and enjoyed more than most.

1. Partagas Black - Maximo
    2. El Rey Del Mundo - Robusto Larga
    3. Rocky Patel 1992 (M) - Robusto
    4. Rocky Patel Edge (M) - Toro (Didn't like the Natural Edge)
    5. LaGloria Cubana - Gorda (M)

I would appreciate it if some of you Silverbacks would give me some cigars to chase after that might be simular to these.

Puffer Fish with some spikes holdd's Avatar

5 vegas "A" Artisan is a good maduro and is reasonbly priced as well
    chateau fuente or double chateau fuente maduro
    I had a macanudo robust hyde park last nite after dinner very nice smoke kind of mild/medium
    anything in the cao brazilia line Iliked too

Im still pretty new but these are some of the sticks Ive tried.
    'I DON'T know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again.' Bart Simpson,

I have a Double Chateau Fuente in the Humi now as well as one of the petite corona's from the Brazilian line.

I will have to see if I can find one of the 5 vegas A series.

Puffer Fish with some spikes holdd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by okierock
    I have a Double Chateau Fuente in the Humi now as well as one of the petite corona's from the Brazilian line.

I will have to see if I can find one of the 5 vegas A series.
    I picked a 5er of them up for $13 on cbid
    'I DON'T know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again.' Bart Simpson,

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish fitzsmoke's Avatar

Smile Re: List of cigars for beginners - Requests of Okierock

Thanks for the list for us newbies...much appreciated!!

Well I've had a chance to smoke a few more cigars since the last post in this thread and thought I'd give my .

Really liked:

La Flor Dominica Double Ligero Chiselito (M) - Man this is a great cigar I haven't tried the full sized chisel but this cigar is awesome.

Excalibur 1066 - Not sure on the size I had (it was a gift) I'm thinking in the 6x54 range but this was also a very good smoke with a little more time commitment and a little less kick than the Chiselito.

Gran Habano Habano Pyrimid #3 - Very good cigar here too and a decent price

Carlos Torano Casa Torano Corona - This cigar is kind of out of my flavor profile and I probably wouldn't have ever smoked it but it happened to be left in an "empty" cigar box I bought for a buck at my local shop. I am learning that liking a cigar may depend a lot on the situation it was smoked in, almost as much as the cigar itself. I smoked this one while taking the paper off of all the "empty" cigar boxes that I had purchased with my five year old daughter. We are using the wood to line some army surplus ammo boxes and use them as humidors. I had a great time with my daughter and enjoyed the smoke a lot. It is a very mild (to me) cigar and had a nice creamy and nutty flavor.

FYI... the ammo boxes make great humidors when used with the beads.

Liked:

Oliva Ole' 4.75x50 - Medium cigar, not real complex but good and consistant.

CAO Brazilia Piranah - More on the robust side than the Oliva with a little more spice and kick

RP Sun Grown - I smoked the Petite corona in this cigar and enjoyed it, I found it to be very much like the Brazilia in flavor.

La Aroma De Cuba Robusto - this cigar is very close to the really liked list and was a little creamier than the Brazil or the Oliva but did not have the deeper coffee/chocolate flavors that it takes to make the "really liked" list.

Just ok:

K Hansotia X3 - Was disapointed in this cigar, I think I had my hopes too high after doing much reading about it and the fact that it contains the ligero filler which seems to be present in all my fav's. Probably my biggest complaint is burn issues. I bought a box of these and it seems every other one tunnels like a mole on a golf green. The flavor is ok and at less than half the price of the gars I compare it to (Party Black, RP 1992) I guess I shouldn't expect so much.

Onyx Reserve Mini Belicoso - I seem to be in the minority around here but this cigar just didn't do it for me. It burned ok and was made well but just didn't have a good flavor. I may have had a bad one but with so many other gars to try I doubt I'll be back for awhile.

On Deck in the Humi:

-5 Vegas 'A' Torpedo
    -Sosa Pyramid (M)
    -Padron 1964 Torpedo
    -Carlos Torano Exodos 1959 Torpedo

Padrons, Padrons, Padrons!! (2000, 3000 & churchills in particular - all Maduro). These are the cigars that got me hooked on the hobby.
    [SIZE="4"]"If anyone ever figures out the meaning of life it will be while smoking a cigar"[/SIZE] - [SIZE="2"]Smokemifyagotem[/SIZE]

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish LT Rich's Avatar

Cant go wrong with the Hoyo de Monterey line up either. They have some great cigars at very resonable prices. The CAO Criollo is an awesome smoke for around 7 bucks a stick.

LT

Full grown Puffer Fish guinsdan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by okierock
    Well I've had a chance to smoke a few more cigars since the last post in this thread and thought I'd give my .

Really liked:

La Flor Dominica Double Ligero Chiselito (M) - Man this is a great cigar I haven't tried the full sized chisel but this cigar is awesome.

Excalibur 1066 - Not sure on the size I had (it was a gift) I'm thinking in the 6x54 range but this was also a very good smoke with a little more time commitment and a little less kick than the Chiselito.

Gran Habano Habano Pyrimid #3 - Very good cigar here too and a decent price

Carlos Torano Casa Torano Corona - This cigar is kind of out of my flavor profile and I probably wouldn't have ever smoked it but it happened to be left in an "empty" cigar box I bought for a buck at my local shop. I am learning that liking a cigar may depend a lot on the situation it was smoked in, almost as much as the cigar itself. I smoked this one while taking the paper off of all the "empty" cigar boxes that I had purchased with my five year old daughter. We are using the wood to line some army surplus ammo boxes and use them as humidors. I had a great time with my daughter and enjoyed the smoke a lot. It is a very mild (to me) cigar and had a nice creamy and nutty flavor.

FYI... the ammo boxes make great humidors when used with the beads.

Liked:

Oliva Ole' 4.75x50 - Medium cigar, not real complex but good and consistant.

CAO Brazilia Piranah - More on the robust side than the Oliva with a little more spice and kick

RP Sun Grown - I smoked the Petite corona in this cigar and enjoyed it, I found it to be very much like the Brazilia in flavor.

La Aroma De Cuba Robusto - this cigar is very close to the really liked list and was a little creamier than the Brazil or the Oliva but did not have the deeper coffee/chocolate flavors that it takes to make the "really liked" list.

Just ok:

K Hansotia X3 - Was disapointed in this cigar, I think I had my hopes too high after doing much reading about it and the fact that it contains the ligero filler which seems to be present in all my fav's. Probably my biggest complaint is burn issues. I bought a box of these and it seems every other one tunnels like a mole on a golf green. The flavor is ok and at less than half the price of the gars I compare it to (Party Black, RP 1992) I guess I shouldn't expect so much.

Onyx Reserve Mini Belicoso - I seem to be in the minority around here but this cigar just didn't do it for me. It burned ok and was made well but just didn't have a good flavor. I may have had a bad one but with so many other gars to try I doubt I'll be back for awhile.

On Deck in the Humi:

-5 Vegas 'A' Torpedo
    -Sosa Pyramid (M)
    -Padron 1964 Torpedo
    -Carlos Torano Exodos 1959 Torpedo

Nice lineup. I liked the padron, 5vg and the exodus. Never tried the sosa yet (is that from sosa in FL?). The exodus 59 was a shocker..really liked it. padron 64, well, like any padron great and the 5vg was decent considering the price.

BTW...Great beginners list!!!

Must trys......................

Fuente Sungrown
    Padron Maduro (a big one)
    Partagas Black (I prefer the Bravos)
    Rocky Patel Sungrown (Torp)
    Ashton VSG (Enchantment)

Some I find myself comparing oter cigars to, and that I like.......
    Torano Exodus Silver
    La Flor Dominicana 2000 (#2)
    Gran Habano #3
    Gran Habano #5
    [SIZE=0-]Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over.
    Frank Zappa(1940-1993 ) [/SIZE]

Maturing Puffer Fish

Anything Padron,anything Torano,anything C.a.o.,montecristo Afrique,gurkha,most Of All Anything Padron!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Throb's Avatar

Onyx Reserve Mini Belicoso---I loved these in all sizes. Bought several 5 and 10 packs and always kept on in the humi and in rotation. Then, a few month ago I had one and was very disappointed. No flavor, weak smoke output and overall just .

I had one last night and it was just wonderful. Everything I remember about Onyx. Guess you had a bad one like I did. Its the only way I can explain it.
    You want flavored water? Pour some scotch over ice and let it melt. That's your flavored water.

Well I have tried a couple more gars and as if anyone cares I though I'd review.

Really liked:

Torano Exodus 1959 Torpedo - Smoked this and a couple of the cigars to be reviewed here around camp while I was at Turkey camp in Oklahoma. (hope this doesn't damage any cred I may have) Anyway... I had a bunch of the RP 1992's at camp and really love em so lighting this smoke up was pretty much a direct comparison to the 1992. The Torano stands up the the RP with no problem and is somewhat simular in taste profile only slightly smoother and creamier. I actually prefer the Torano.

Arturo Fuente Double Chateu Madduro Corona - This was a big cigar for me, I typically don't pick the longer, large ring guage gars becase of the time commitment but I was camping so I had plenty of time. Quality... AF always delivers and this was no exception. The DC started off with a little bite and smoothed right out. Draw was pretty easy for such a long stick and this gentleman had pletty of flavor that entensified throughout.

Puros Indios torpedo - I'm not real familiar with the PI line but this gar had the normal PI green band and was maybe a 4.5x54 torp. In the mild to medium range it is a smooth smoke you can enjoy anytime. If you read my last review of the Casa Torano you'll see that this is out of my flavor profile but I'm starting to realize there is no reason to limit yourself when it comes to cigars. The PI was comparable to the Casa Torano slightly sweeter and has a slightly more reasonable price tag.

Not my thing:

5 Vegas "A" Torpedo: I have read so many good things about these cigars that I really had some high expectations and I'm beginning to think that maybe I have a fullness limitation that I don't like crossing. Or maybe I need to try smoking these heavier cigars while having a glass of port or Makers as some suggest. I have also heard that placing a little sugar under your tongue when you find a cigar a little on the strong side is helpfull . Anyway this cigar falls in the same category for me as the K Hansotia X3 and the Onyx Res. Mini beli. Not my thing.

On deck:

Padron 1964
    Full Size Double Ligero Chisel - Can't wait to try the big brother of the chiselito I liked so much
    CAO Crillo Torpedo
    Cohiba (Cuba) Robusto
    Punch Champion

Great reviews...thanks! You helped a fellow newbie decide what to look for next!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast