Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Some Thoughts On Cigar Reviews And Describing Cigar Flavors

This is a discussion on Some Thoughts On Cigar Reviews And Describing Cigar Flavors within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Wow very nice great review, I m not good but this is awesome....

Newbie in the ocean

Wow very nice great review, I m not good but this is awesome.

Thumbs up Re: Some Thoughts On Cigar Reviews And Describing Cigar Flavors

Nice wordsmithing H.M.!

I am on that exact same page and I thank you for taking the time to craft such a useful reference tool for us all.

Some of my most memorable smokes have delivered a sweet spice experience that was very present, even when paired with a mexican light style of beer. (Pacifico)

Sadly, they are no longer made. Will you share some gar info of smokes that delivered a sweet spice flavor for you?

Thanks a lot,
    Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Re: Some Thoughts On Cigar Reviews And Describing Cigar Flavors

Nice post, thanks.

What? His ring size is still 10? !!!!

My comments would not fit in the comment box, so here we go;

His well written post will help improve the quality of cigar reviews that members will write and share with the community. Good writing promotes clear thinking. By inducing improved thinking among his community members, the ripple effect improves our society as a whole.

He wrote this over two years ago. While good writing is timeless, the window of opportunity for positive reinforcement is not. Please consider boosting his ring size significantly and immediately. I believe it is long overdue.
    Sincerely, Fiddlegrin

P.S. If you agree, please click on his "improve ring gauge icon".
    It is located under his user name near the bottom of the post.
    Dafiddla

very good review, i have smoked cigars for over 20 years and for maybe the first 5 i didn't know how to really relax and taste what i was smoking, for some people i think it takes practice to really taste whats in there.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader karmaz00's Avatar

good read thanks for sharing

the fiend Davy Jones mrreindeer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlegrin View Post
    Please consider boosting his ring size significantly and immediately. I believe it is long overdue.
    Done & done. It's a great post.

Puffer Fish with some spikes KickU2Sleep's Avatar

I read that a while ago and agree that it's a great article...I try to read the reviews of the cigar that i'm smoking at the time and try to see if I can taste what they reviewer is tasting...Not too much success at it...lol...but I still enjoy they hell outta my cigars.....As for ring guage, i was wondering how you increased your ring gauge, thanks for clearing that up for me....
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently lack the ability

nudge
    Dafiddla

I have been smoking cigars for a few years now. I often enjoy to read reviews of the cigar I am smoking as I am enjoying it. It has been my hope to possibly refine my palate further by trying to experience and define the flavors in the cigar with the words used by these reviewers. It has not only been till recently that I have come to the conclusion that this is a fun, yet almost totally fruitless endeavor. I know what I enjoy in a cigar, but have not been able to fully describe what experience I am looking for in words. Does anyone else ever have this problem? Yet, I am so passionate about this avocation that I want to discuss the experience that I am having. Anyone else suffer from this frustration?

I want to say that I appreciate someone taking the time to try to label these terms..earthy.. woody..etc. It is a breath of fresh air to see that others are struggling with the words, not necassarily the experience.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Ron1369's Avatar

Cool Re: Some Thoughts On Cigar Reviews And Describing Cigar Flavors

Quote Originally Posted by JazzItUp4u View Post
    I have been smoking cigars for a few years now. I often enjoy to read reviews of the cigar I am smoking as I am enjoying it. It has been my hope to possibly refine my palate further by trying to experience and define the flavors in the cigar with the words used by these reviewers. It has not only been till recently that I have come to the conclusion that this is a fun, yet almost totally fruitless endeavor. I know what I enjoy in a cigar, but have not been able to fully describe what experience I am looking for in words. Does anyone else ever have this problem? Yet, I am so passionate about this avocation that I want to discuss the experience that I am having. Anyone else suffer from this frustration?

I want to say that I appreciate someone taking the time to try to label these terms..earthy.. woody..etc. It is a breath of fresh air to see that others are struggling with the words, not necessarily the experience.
    Hey Brother, Don't feel alone in that category, I have been smoking for quite a few years myself and have no idea on how to identify the true flavors I am tasting in the many many cigars I have enjoyed, I wish that there was someone out there that would be kind enough to help out guys like us in explaining just how to determine what flavors are in a cigar.
    I really dislike sounding like a noob when writing a review on a cigar I have just smoked.
    What is a guy like us suppose to do though ?? I know there has to be a way to be able to explain the great flavors one tastes when puffing on a good stick but I am not the man to do it, if there is anyone out there that cares to enlighten us on the ways of the tobacconist I would surely appreciate having him or her share their expertise with us.
    I know there are more than just us two that want to learn how to figure out what exactly the tastes are that we are enjoying in our cigars when smoking them.
    If you are out there and want to share your wisdom's , please get back with either of us and please share your wisdom's, oh great ones of the leaf.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Ron1369's Avatar

Cool Re: Some Thoughts On Cigar Reviews And Describing Cigar Flavors

I have to say thank you to Heavy Metal-cr, for sharing your different descriptions to the many flavors out there, the way you explain it makes a lot of sense to me. I may even be able to find some of the same tastes myself the next cigar I smoke, I will give it a try and see if I am able to figure out the same tastes and flavors in the same way that you do.
    It has to be a lot easier for me now that I have read your message on the subject.
    If not though, please don't make to much fun of my reviews if you every read them. I am still learning, LOL.

Great post ! and I agree with you Docruger that it definately takes some time to reallly start enjoying the smokes... That said I think we will all enjoy cigars differently. Even the same cigar enjoyed by a small local herf, sometimes comes up with different experiences. Even though there is the whole "description" given by the true aficianados on how they are supposed to taste, they rarely match with what we've come up with! thanks again

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

This was a great post! The simple fact is that people have different numbers of fungiform papillae. Here's a great article The Taste Science Laboratory - About taste: people differ... It gets me a little perturbed when someone is either snobbish or haughty about how well they taste. I also get perturbed when people who have fewer of these little fellas think that people who have more are full of it and lying about what they taste.

I've been blessed with what I suspect is the high end of a medium number. Never had it tested though. But I can pick out different flavors many times and some times, I just don't taste what others do.

One thing we can do to develop our palates and build flavor profiles is to isolate the tastes people say they are detecting. Yes this means some strange and quite possibly shocking moments! I saw a wine taster once talk about what he does. He goes and picks up as many of the flavors that people describe and tastes them. He does it on a semi-regular basis to continue the profiles. For example, he bought black currants, red and white grapes, several different spices, pieces of wood, pennies, oranges, bananas, and so on. Then sat down and either bit into each or put each one in his mouth to taste it.

The point of that is this, if you've never tasted 7 year old madagascar vanilla, how in the world do you know if it's a flavor coming through in your cigar/pipe/wine or whatever. Palates are developed. I believe even someone with fewer of the fungiform papillae can still develop their palate this way.

Don't be upset or haughty or snobbish because of the number of taste buds you're DNA says you're to have, though. It's just how you are.
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Maturing Puffer Fish ClearSkiesAndSqualls's Avatar

Great post! Makes sense to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast