Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario Toro Review

This is a discussion on Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario Toro Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; It's kind of becoming a well known fact, but I am a bit of a premium Fuente whore. I'll admit ...

Easier without the hat. Bigtotoro's Avatar

Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario Toro Review

It's kind of becoming a well known fact, but I am a bit of a premium Fuente whore. I'll admit it freely. I love me an Opus. I love me an Anejo. I even love me a God of Fire (to a lesser extent). So...after a particular rotten Monday at work, I decide I need a treat. Gifted to me by a VERY generous brother, this one has been sitting for a few months now and is ready to go. For some reason, this particular stick does not get the run the others do. And as a matter of fact, I discovered in another thread that some folks have not even heard of it. Here are the facts as I know them:

1. CONSIDERABLY rarer than the Opus and Anejo with 750 boxes of 10 in each of the 3 sizes.
    2. Rumored to be the same wrapper as the Opus, although this is unconfirmed. It sure looks like an Opus wrapper to my eyes, what do you guys think?

So lets giver her a whirl, shall we?

What a pretty cigar! Any veins you may think you are seeing are just tricks of the light. Construction, balance, and heft are everything you would expect from high line Fuente. For those of you that have not joined that club just yet, flawless.

I take her outside (where it is 60 degrees and cloudless!) and light her up. Stunningly well balanced and complex from very first light. Cedar, leather, pepper, dried fruit (apricots, maybe), and espresso wash over me. I immediately decide I need a beverage to compliment such as occasion and that my pedestrian water will not do. I scurry back into the house for a glass of port. The port is sweet but not cloying and this adds a lovely counterpoint.

Flavors tap me on the shoulder from time to time while others excuse themselves silently. Sometimes a little sweeter, sometimes floral and fragrant, never announcing themselves loudly...always in balance. Contrast this with the Tat brand that I gave up on altogether for a lack of flavor control.

Burning down towards the end and she has not gone soft or hot. Even when moving my finger to the very tip I can feel no uncomfortable heat.

I can think of no good reason why these are not more popular. To my taste, they are clearly the middle brother between the stronger Opus, and the milder Anejo. Some will say that the sticker price scares people away (about $25), but I do not see that stopping folks from buying the Padron Annys, Gods of Fire, and the Opuses (even though I have never seen an Opus on the shelf I know what non-Fuente dealers upcharge for them). Definitely not an everyday smoke, but an excellent special occasion stogie. Right now, it is the current leader for the coveted Christmas 2010 smoke with the father in law (maybe GRANDfather in law by then...*winkwink*) as I have another 2. And I would not hesitate to pay full retail to put another few away as well. Not sure where it ranks with the Opus/Anejo tandem, but for me it deserves to stand on the stage with them, and that makes it pretty damned good. Now, to track down one of the Arturo Funte Gran Anniverxario...

I have no use for RG.

Re: Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario Toro Review

115 views and not a single comment?

I have no use for RG.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtotoro View Post
    115 views and not a single comment?
    Settle down big fella Sometimes reviews get tons of hits and few or no comments. Reasons for this are elusive, but my guess is that a) you did a good review and there's not a lot left to say about it. b) Many consider this stick ridiculously over-priced and stay away.

It's a good smoke. I find the blend somewhere between the standard-issue DC (which I like) and the GoF DC blend (which I do not). The wrapper most definitely resembles Opus, both in terms of hand, as well as flavor.

Your description was pretty spot-on in terms of the flavors you encountered. Nicely done.

I hear you bro, like a car enthusist I am not one to drive a VW Beetle I wanna drive the Ferarri. Same with stoges I want to experience the best out there, in this sometimes expensive hobby of ours.
    Never underestimate the angle of the slope

Dom

Great review bro, these have interested me for awhile.

For the Record, this is my 1st view, and I'm with you on the response discrepency, I think another thread I started there were like 500 views and 50 responses? I know it's been discussed around here, but it is kind of rediculous. <---- Nothing you can do tho, you def did a good review.

I get fussy sometimes. Pay me no mind.

I have no use for RG.

...I can only turn green when I read these reviews.. One, I haven't heard of it, and two, it's highly doubtful I'll ever get to touch one of these or any other of the premium sticks... Turning green doesn't mean that I don't enjoy reading the reviews, though! .... Very good review. It's like looking at the toy catalog when I was a kid. I knew I'd never get to touch the stuff, but there's just something about looking! Thanks!
    What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Erskine View Post
    ...I can only turn green when I read these reviews.. One, I haven't heard of it, and two, it's highly doubtful I'll ever get to touch one of these or any other of the premium sticks... Turning green doesn't mean that I don't enjoy reading the reviews, though! .... Very good review. It's like looking at the toy catalog when I was a kid. I knew I'd never get to touch the stuff, but there's just something about looking! Thanks!
    You oughtn't to say things like that. Santa is always watching;-)

I have no use for RG.

You oughtn't to say things like that. Santa is always watching;-)
    Sorry.... I DON'T turn green when I read these... Although I still enjoy reading these reviews. For me, it's like looking at a DuPont Registry. I'll never have a Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead coupe, but it's still lots of fun to look!..... Is that better?
    What can I say?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaydub13's Avatar

Patrick - GREAT review! Thank you so much! I am a recently converted Fuente whore, and I am still learning my way through the lineup. I have been debating between one of these, and an Opus. You didnt make my mind up, but now, I know I can't really choose wrong! I have a bunch of Hemingways coming my way, along with a GoF(I couldnt resist), but I think my next haul will have to include one of these, and an Opus or 2 to put away to get some age on it.

To wit, great review, very well done, and I appreciate the opportunity to vicariously smoke a rare cigar through the perspective of someone who truly appreciates it. Thanks again.

livin life by the drop ! cigar loco's Avatar

great review patrick! pics say a thousand words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Erskine View Post
    Sorry.... I DON'T turn green when I read these... Although I still enjoy reading these reviews. For me, it's like looking at a DuPont Registry. I'll never have a Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead coupe, but it's still lots of fun to look!..... Is that better?
    You misunderstand. In the past, folks who have spoken up in threads like these have had their mailboxes shredded. I mentioned something similar once upon a time and 2 fine botl(s) hit the everloving bejeezus out of me. I meant no offense.

I have no use for RG.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub13 View Post
    Patrick - GREAT review! Thank you so much! I am a recently converted Fuente whore, and I am still learning my way through the lineup. I have been debating between one of these, and an Opus. You didnt make my mind up, but now, I know I can't really choose wrong! I have a bunch of Hemingways coming my way, along with a GoF(I couldnt resist), but I think my next haul will have to include one of these, and an Opus or 2 to put away to get some age on it.

To wit, great review, very well done, and I appreciate the opportunity to vicariously smoke a rare cigar through the perspective of someone who truly appreciates it. Thanks again.
    For someone who has never had any of them, book yourself a one way ticket to Opustown first.

I have no use for RG.

You misunderstand. In the past, folks who have spoken up in threads like these have had their mailboxes shredded. I mentioned something similar once upon a time and 2 fine botl(s) hit the everloving bejeezus out of me. I meant no offense.
    I knew what you were saying ... I was trying to make a joke. I guess i did a bad job of it, sorry....
    What can I say?

I think we have already established that I am overly sensitive today. Must be on my man period or something...

I have no use for RG.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast