Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Capoeira "professor" cigar...yeah baby!

This is a discussion on Capoeira "professor" cigar...yeah baby! within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Capoeira "professor" cigar...yeah baby!

One thing I enjoy about this hobby is to try “new” cigars that come out
    in the market. I was gifted this cigar by a good friend of mine who knows that
    I love to try out new cigars so this is where I begin. The history of this is that it is a
    premium cigar selection made expressly for Famous Smoke Shop by Jesus Fuego.
    Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian art form that combines elements of martial arts, music, and dance.

BRAND- Pronounced "kapu'era," Capoeira Professor

SIZE - Robusto

WRAPPER TYPE - 4-yr-aged Brazilian Mata Fino Maduro
    TIME SPENT IN HUMIDOR - 3 months

TYPE CUTTER - Boston V Cutter

LIGHTER -LGC Soft Flame

BEVERAGE - Amarula

APPEARANCE - I did not see anything that would give this cigar
    any negative hit but by the same token it was like any other cigar that
    looks good.

CONSTRUCTION - No prominent veins or scuffs and appears smooth
    and nicely rolled from head to foot.

FEEL - I rolled this between my fingers for a bit and it was firm with
    no soft spots and it had just the right amount of “give” to it which tells
    me it has been at the right humidity.

TASTE - LIGHT UP - Right out of the gate this cigar gives up some great
    taste-very smooth with light chocolate and coffee..like a rich columbian.

DRAW - Easy draw that gives enough smoke where I didn’t have to work
    very hard for it. I like a cigar that gives you as much as you want to take from
    it.

EVEN BURN - Very impressive sharp burn where not once did I have to
    correct it nor did the ash flake. I don’t like an ash that is weak as that tells
    me that not only is this good tabacco but it was rolled with care.

TASTE 1ST THIRD - Some cigars tend to start slowly and then work
    up to it’s flavor profile…this cigar as I said is ready to enjoy without
    waiting for the flavors to start getting stronger. Complex is one of those
    words that tend to get “over used” at times but this is just the right adjective
    to use for this potent cigar.

2ND THIRD - It remains smooth and the wrapper is perfect for this cigar
    as I am a maduro fan…this cigar delights any maduro person because you
    are going to get a nice even taste of the wrapper and filler. Pepper mixed with
    a light wood and more chocolate keep this cigar very interesting.

LAST THIRD - How can this thing keep getting better? All of the above
    flavors are still easy to spot as you can keep the smoke in your mouth quite
    awhile and taste the great finish. For a full bodied cigar as this is touted
    You never feel as if it is overpowering…one of the better balanced cigars
    I’ve smoked in some time. Not once does it get boring or old as the flavor
    will keep your interest.

OVERALL CHARACTER - Full

RATING 1- 20 I give this an 18.5 STRENGTH 1- 10 Solid 8

COMMENTS - I was very impressed with this cigar as I have smoke Jesus Fuego
    Cigars before but this is a favorite for me now and since I’m one of those who do
    not buy cigars by the box normally…trust me for the price this is a no-brainer.

QUALITY - ISSUES - I can usually find something wrong or negative with cigar
    but the way it lit, smoked, tasted and the ash was so firm I had to knock it off myself
    or this could have gone 3 inches without much of problem. Nice white thick clouds of
    good old fashioned cigar smoke.
    POSITIVES- I’m a fan and smoked it down to ½ inch and if my lips weren’t getting
    so hot I’d have smoked it down to a ¼ inch. These sell for about $116 for a box of 25
    but can be had on the Famous Auction site for almost half and at that price you’re
    stealing them. Once these are discovered the pricing will go up as well which is why
    I am going to buy 2 boxes and have bids on these. Cigars excite me and when they taste
    this good for an amazing price it’s like finding gold. Maduro Fans…get a 5 pak and try
    em out before they are discovered.

Incidentally, they come in a toro size as well ( maduro wrapper) and as luck would have
    it they are the cheaper size than the Robusto. My bids are for both of them and would
    Easily pay up to $70 per box but hope they stay in the $50 range.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Full grown Puffer Fish golfermd's Avatar

Re: Capoeira "professor" cigar...yeah baby!

Thanks for your review...
    Dan - "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, come inside, come inside..." ELP

Full grown Puffer Fish Matt1951's Avatar

Wow, very detailed and professional review!

Addendum...There are 4 sizes to this brand.

Aluno---5 1/2 x 46 Cuban Corona Maduro

Formado---6 1/2 x 52 Torpedo Maduro

Graduado---6 x 50 Toro Maduro

Professor---5 x 50 Robusto Maduro

All can be bought in singles and there are Samplers as well.

Leading Puffer Fish swingerofbirches's Avatar

Great review!
    I've never heard of these before and even though I'm almost strictly sungrown you've got me kicking around the idea of a 5-pack.
    "The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places." - Hemingway

No longer a community member. Nickerson's Avatar

Interesting. Gotta try these.

Couldn't find any on cigarauctioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by swingerofbirches View Post
    Great review!
    I've never heard of these before and even though I'm almost strictly sungrown you've got me kicking around the idea of a 5-pack.
    I really like these...as I said I don't usually buy boxes of anything unless I know they are really good and after smoking a couple of the sticks I'm sold. I love Maduros and Sun Grown as well so the taste of these is as I said in the review. Starts off and finishes even better. Don't buy a box just try the singles they have and maybe put a sampler of your own..they average about $4-$5 a stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerson View Post
    Interesting. Gotta try these.

Couldn't find any on cigarauctioneer.
    They are a Famous brand cigar that Jesus Fuego makes for them under the name of Capoeira’s,,,on the Cigar Auctioneer look under the brand names of cigars...it's there and then you can search as to what auctions are taking place. I just won a bid today on a box of the Graduados for $49...that is half of what they go for on FamousSmokes.com Seriously, I hope they don't get popular as I am going to buy a couple of more boxes of these and let em rest for a few months as that is all they need.

No longer a community member. Nickerson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    They are a Famous brand cigar that Jesus Fuego makes for them under the name of Capoeira’s,,,on the Cigar Auctioneer look under the brand names of cigars...it's there and then you can search as to what auctions are taking place. I just won a bid today on a box of the Graduados for $49...that is half of what they go for on FamousSmokes.com Seriously, I hope they don't get popular as I am going to buy a couple of more boxes of these and let em rest for a few months as that is all they need.
    Ah thanks. Not to familiar with that site.

There is one bundle of 25 robusto's right now with a little over a day left starting at $52.00. Will have to watch them.

Hey Corey...there is a bundle of the Alunos ( 5 1/2 X 46 ) that still have about 6 days on the auction at $45...nobody else is bidding on em because they are still pretty new to everyone. I got my box and nobody else bid on em as well...they started and finished at $49. The Capoeira Professor Maduro still has a couple of days on those with nobody bidding. I'm about to go after them but if you'd like to split those or vice versa let me know. Don't want to get into a bidding war when we can do a split.

Am going to try out another cigar this week that has almost the same profile. La Floridita Toro Maduro cigars are a well-balanced mix of rich Dominican & Nicaraguan tobaccos covered in dark, oily Maduro wrappers. The smoke is very creamy with a medium-bodied, earthy flavor and aroma. Yummmmmmm! Just put in a bid for a 5 pak of those. If I win expect another review.

Great review Gary, I'll have to try them out!

I like the La Floriditas, give 'em a try
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Already zeroing in on that target, Jeff. I've got a BOTL who is like the Devil always sending me cigars to try and then I end up loving them...which adds to the CND here at home ( cigar national debt ). If these La FLoriditas are just as good it appears as if I'll be getting another humidor as well.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes mrsmitty's Avatar

Fantastic review Gary. I seen these in the Famous catalog and just skimmed right past it. I just assumed its another Famous exclusive average cigar. I'm finding myself not being a big maduro lover but I'm going to give these a shot. The Aluno seems to be right down my ally. La Floriditas have been on my want to try list as well, just weary of getting 20 on not liking them.

I hear ya Smitty...I'm one of the biggest Samplers out there. Rarely do I buy a box unless they just bowl me over. 5 paks are my big thing and sometimes I even buy 2 5'rs. I changed over to Maduros years ago for the flavor and while I still smoke naturals I get more flavor from the dark wrapper. Reviews are fun to write and should all come with their own disclaimor which I think most of us know...it's our interpretation of what we though not necessarily what others will find. It's the smart man who will only buy a couple and give it a chance but if they don't like it then obviously move on to your favorite or look for another. It's all about the journey to me.

Newbie in the ocean

I smoked one of these from a sampler...I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a nice, even burn and you could tell the tobacco was quality from the tight ash. The stick was clean tasting and constructed well. The flavor profile is not overly sophisticated...but tasty. I am not going to rush out to buy a box (too many gems in my humi just waiting) but it's worth a shot to smoke one if it's around. The fitness correlation doesn't quite work though...not sure about that! Hard to imagine relaxing with a cigar in the midst of a capoeira session!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Aficionado82's Avatar

Great review Gary

Something to keep an eye out for tomorrow when they do the Monster Mash-up from 6pm to Midnight

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast