Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Gurkha European Selection; Connecticut Review

This is a discussion on Gurkha European Selection; Connecticut Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Good Morning Everyone!! This mornings review is a Thompson Exclusive by Gurkha. Its the European Selection; Connecticut. Brand: Gurkha Size: ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Mr_Black's Avatar

Thumbs up Gurkha European Selection; Connecticut Review

Good Morning Everyone!!

This mornings review is a Thompson Exclusive by Gurkha. Its the European Selection; Connecticut.

Brand: Gurkha

Size: Churchill 7" x 52

Wrapper: Connecticut

Filler: Dominican

Price: Just over $2 a stick

Upon Initial Punching I realized that the wrapper and Binder was very very thick. Thicker than I am used to seeing at least.

Upon first light I noticed a strong leathery taste and it was very very smooth. I am normally a maduro smoker so I am used to more of spicy start, so this is a nice change for my morning.

The draw on this stick is awesome. I think that it is partly due to the thickness of the wrapper and binder. Though first ash ended up on the ground unintentionally it was ok.

Through the 1 / 3 of this stick the burn has been very consistent and the flavor is still very leathery. I am waiting for a possible twist in flavor, but I don't think its going to happen.

I just realized half way through the 2/3 of this cigar that Gurkha double banded this stick. I wonder what the story behind this is..

Now entering the final 3/3 the flavors haven't changed one bit but the burn has been smooth and consistent all the way through. On another note too, I am smoking this on an empty stomach, well except for coffee, and I havent gotten a nicotine buzz at all!

Coming in the the finish of the cigar I ended up pulling the top band off still experienced no change in flavor, but the burn has been nice and smooth with a light draw.

All in all, I liked this cigar, it was a great start to my Sunday morning. I would certainly add this to my recommended cigars especially for someone who is newer to smoking for its mild flavor, smooth and consistent burn. It was a very pleasant hour of my morning.

On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being trash and 10 being a cigar that I would go out of my way to get, I would give this an 8.

I hope that you get the chance to try it out!
    Cheers!

Re: Gurkha European Selection; Connecticut Review

I haven't tried the CT version yet, but now I want to!
    Here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Corona Chris View Post
    I haven't tried the CT version yet, but now I want to!
    I was my favorite out of the 3. I found the Habano, and Maduro to be very bland, and also I had issues with they burn on both of those as well.
    Cheers!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader ca21455's Avatar

Thanks for the nice review. Sounds like a good cigar for the money.

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for the review. I got a few from "Santa" and am waiting to try them. Being I am from Connecticut it is a little cold to sit out so my options are limited. Thanks again for the play by play.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinblueline74 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I got a few from "Santa" and am waiting to try them. Being I am from Connecticut it is a little cold to sit out so my options are limited. Thanks again for the play by play.

Thanks! Let us know what you think!!
    Cheers!

Newbie in the ocean

A couple of years late to the party, but hey, I just had a reason to look up this review since I got this in a sampler.

I'm a Gurkha fan, my all time fav stick being the Legend Maduro. I prefer Toro or Robusto, but this one came as a Churchill and off I went.

As usual, this Gurkha had great construction and build. It only required a relight when I left it on my porch for a few minutes on a cool rainy San Diego day. After that, there were no problems and the burn was quite consistent and sharp.

I'm still finding my way around identifying tastes and all, but I did find some spice and leather in this stick. I prefer a medium to strong body cigar, but like the OR, I enjoyed this smoke for it's consistency, burn quality and mild change of pace. It was WAAAAY better than the Montecristo White label I tried several days ago.

All in all, for the price, this is a great stick and I'd agree with an 8/10 rating.