Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Gurkha Triple Ligero Toro Review

This is a discussion on Gurkha Triple Ligero Toro Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Details: Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro Filler: Multi-Country Ligero Blend Binder: Size: Cost: 5 for $15 at CI. Prelight: (10)To start this ...

BHS

Thumbs down Gurkha Triple Ligero Toro Review

Details:
    Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro
    Filler: Multi-Country Ligero Blend
    Binder:
    Size:
    Cost: 5 for $15 at CI.

Prelight:(10)To start this cigar looks pretty good while still in the sleeve but then again 3/4 of it is covered up with either cedar band or ribbon and label. It is all tastefully done but it bothers me to not be able to examine a cigar up close before purchasing. Once all the flair was removed I noticed that it was indeed a very well rolled smooth and symmetrical cigar. The wrapper however was actually far from perfect and upon closer inspection had some water spots and few little nicks here and there. The cap was also jacked up to a small degree and could have been applied much better. The aroma was very mild off the wrapper considering that it is a Maduro. The prelight draw was open and the wrapper tasted a little sweet and raisin like. The band while fancy enough was in my opinion way overdone. I even removed the "Triple Ligero" Band prior to firing it up. It was just too much. 8/10

Flavor & Aroma:
    (15) 1st 3rd: Started off a little rough. It was hitting hard and peppery through the first 5 minutes or so. It was pepper up front and pepper on the finish but the smoke had a really nice smooth medium body and the aroma had some nice earth and chocolate. I knew if the pepper settled down I was in for a treat! 12/15
    (15) 2nd 3rd: The pepper settled down but so did most of the other flavors that I thought were going to shine. I was left with a very solid medium bodied tobacco core with a relatively dry and peppery finish. There was a good deal of pepper through the nose. Shortly past the half I get a little spice and the smoke has gotten a little creamier and less dry. There is also a nice sweetness to the aroma and those hints of chocolate were back in the aroma periodically along with the occasional floral. This encounter with complexity was briefly lived though and as excited as I was, it settled right back into it's meaty tobacco core with a medium body and a semi-dry strong pepper finish. 13/15
    (15) Final 3rd: Entering the final 3rd....pepper. More pepper up front and more on the finish. I am finally getting some nice notes of espresso but it is a little too little a lot too late. It isn't terrible but I really wanted a lot more from this cigar. It hinted occasionally at being very good but never took the initiative to go there. 12/15

Construction & Burn:
    (10) 1st 3rd: The burn and draw have been textbook through the 1st 1/3. The ash is mostly white with some lighter grey throughout. There are no issues with construction so far. 10/10

(10) 2nd 3rd: This cigar has performed very well so far. The predominantly white ash is holding to about 2" before dropping with a light tap. The draw remains excellent and the burn although a little hilly at this point has never caused any concern. 9/10

(10) Final 3rd: As I removed the band I was very disappointed to find a nice hole in the wrapper obviously intended to be concealed by the band until removed. The wrapper also started cracking a little bit but was easily repaired and I moved on. The draw remained top notch and the burn was consistent through the final 3rd. This is one I didn't care to nub. 8/10

Thoughts:(15) I am not impressed with this cigar. Not only am I not impressed at $3 a stick I feel much better can be had despite this cigars prelight flashy appearance. Although it wasn't bad it certainly wasn't wonderful. I have one more of these that i will sit for awhile and then see if that one fairs any better. I woul recommend this cigar to anyone looking for a strong medium/full bodied cigar with a lot of pepper. If you like the heat this stick can't be beat! As a side note....I read some other reviews that spoke of bitterness in this cigar. I did no encounter any bitterness or unpleasant attribute other than not being nearly complex enough and too much pepper. 10/15

Final: 82

Disinterested

Re: Gurkha Triple Ligero Toro Review

Congratulations!

You just summed up an entire line of cigars.

Welcome to utter mediocrity.

Another, in a long line of great reviews.

Well done, brother.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Congratulations!

You just summed up an entire line of cigars.

Welcome to utter mediocrity.

That was cold.

You all have me laughing all day today.

Good review, BHS, although from reading through your review in its entirety, your conclusion seemed incongruous. No bother, anyway.

Out of curiosity, I purchased (last week) a single off devil for 1 dollar. I am not expecting a great cigar or anything, but we will see how it performs this summer after a good six months rest.

Thanks.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Dammit, I have lots of Gurkhas coming down under.

Trust BHS, he knows the good stuff.
    A lot of problems in the world can be solved if everyone takes the time to relax and have a cigar.

BHS

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    Good review, BHS, although from reading through your review in its entirety, your conclusion seemed incongruous. No bother, anyway.

Thanks.
    Manny, Thank you for the feedback. You are right. It was incongruent and now that I am reading over it again I see what you mean. I had a hard time placing my words to describe my thoughts on this one. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great but I caution calling it good too. I think Don really called it correct: "utter mediocrity". Yup...that's the wording I was looking for! Thanks again!

Scotch & Cigars

I enjoyed the two that I have had, I have a few more in my humidor, now that I have smoked many different cigars I will revisit this one when it gets warmer.

BHS

I ended up killing off the other one I had over the weekend and actually had a better experience. The pepper wasn't nearly as aggressive as it was in the 1st and this cigar would have probably come in around 85 had I graded that one. That said....still nothing spectacular.

Maturing Puffer Fish gogirlanime's Avatar

Thank you for this extensive review I got this cigar in my first cigar/humidor set I am reviewing all 12 cigars to chose which to smoke first. Very peppery huh? I like the sound of that I love pepper and spicy things. I will let you know how I like this cigar when I try it