Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

REVIEW: Opus X BBMF Natural

This is a discussion on REVIEW: Opus X BBMF Natural within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; What better day than today to smoke a rare cigar? Free time and Ursula is in town so we headed ...

Smile REVIEW: Opus X BBMF Natural

What better day than today to smoke a rare cigar? Free time and Ursula is in town so we headed to JRs for what would hopefully be a great smoke!

The BBMF that I smoked was gifted very generously to me by Dave (Smelvis). After sitting in the humi for a few days or so, I decided to light it up and enjoy the experience.

2/7/2011
    OPUS X BBMF (Natural)
    Vitola: 6 x 54 (with a large pigtail)
    Wrapper: Rosado Wrapper with maduro cover at the head and foot
    Smoke Time: 1.5 hours
    Drink: Diet Coke

I usually will start smoking and then eat during the smoke. But, because of the cigar's reputation, I decided to eat first so I would enjoy the smoke afterwards.

Contruction:

Well constructed cigar, as are most opus I have come across. No soft spots or bums anywhere on the cigar. The cigar has a firm yet slight give to it. Sometimes, the pigtails on cigars are very fragile, but this wasn't the case with this one. Holding the Opus X BBMF in my hand, I noticed there was a 55/45 balance to it. Another words, the place at which I held the cigar was off center. This makes sense since the foot side is slightly larger and almost shaped like a figurado.

Appearance:

The Opus X BBMF has a beautiful Rosado wrapper. It has a nice medium brown wrapper color. The foot of the Opus is a gorgeous dark maduro wrapper and the Pigtail compliments the cigar just as much. The Pigtail fans out with it very well wrapped and made. As usual, the Opus X band brings all the attention to it, yet somehow, worked very well with the rest of the BBMF.

Burn:

The initial light of the Opus X BBMF went smooth. It accepted the flame from the lighter very easily. The smoke was on the lighter side of what I am used to but it was probably because the cut on the head was very small. Once I made another cut to the head, the draw became very smooth and the smoke increased to a medium strength. The burn line was very impressive throughout the cigar and the ash had a greyish appearance.

Flavor:

Prelight smell reminded me of cedar and aged tobacco. The Opus X BBMF definitely had a sweet aroma to it. Within the first half inch or so, my tongue was bombarded with peppery sensations. However, this soon transitioned to a leathery/peppery mixture which I found very soothing and smooth. On a small retrohale, all I felt was a strong presence of pepper with a slight hint of molasses.

The second third becomes even more smooth, still tasting tons of leather and perhaps even some brown sugar. It was a sweetness that I don't believe I had much experience with before, except maybe on an Opus X Shark. As I approached the last third, the pepper notes take on more of a dominant role with the leather playing in the background.

When I removed the band, which incidentally, came off easily, it took a piece of the rosado wrapper off the Opus X BBMF. I thought it may create some burn issues, but surprisingly, nothing I couldn't handle with a well placed flame.

Value: In this situation, you are definitely paying for rarity and not for value. Unfortunately, because of it's rarity and craftsmanship, the price for the Opus X BBMF isn't what you consider a "great buy".

Rating: 88

Overall:

If you can get your hands on one of these at a reasonable price or within msrp, I suggest you do so and try it at least for the experience. There will many other cigars that will be a better buy for the money but I don't that's why we smoke cigars like these. As for the part of living up to the expectations, I don't believe that it did. Came close, but I think sometimes we expect a cigar that cost 4x as much as a ten dollar cigar to be possibly 4x as good. That being said, I'm glad that I smoked this vitola and look forward to smoking the other rare sizes, whether or not they meet my expectations.

Maduro Foot

Opus X BBMF

I hope you enjoyed the review!
    Last edited by Batista30; 02-07-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Re: REVIEW: Opus X BBMF Natural

Now that is a bad M-er F-er. Beautiful cigar, I'm so jealous! Thanks for the review Veeral!

Well written, always nice to hear about a rare cigar. I sometimes wonder if it's possible for some cigars to live up to the build up we give them in our own imagination. But, then again, I have had some that have surpassed any build up I could have given them. Anyway, thanks for the read as always Veeral.

Great Review Veeral!!

I have a couple waiting for the right time!
    I got 'em So I smoke 'em

Great review, Veeral.

It won't be a BBMF, but I really have to get my hands on an Opus to finally smoke with the Anejos I've been buying. I need to know what I've been missing!

Scotch & Cigars

Very nice review that is a great looking Opus!

CCCC

Great review of a good looking cigar. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by dmgizzo View Post
    Well written, always nice to hear about a rare cigar. I sometimes wonder if it's possible for some cigars to live up to the build up we give them in our own imagination. But, then again, I have had some that have surpassed any build up I could have given them. Anyway, thanks for the read as always Veeral.
    Always an issue when smoking rare cigars...do they/will they live up to expectations....it was a unique experience

Full grown Puffer Fish Domino68's Avatar

Nice job with the review Veeral. I do agree that they are not "bargain" by any means, but a great smoke nonetheless.

Would you buy one? At full price that is.

Full grown Puffer Fish Domino68's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zfog View Post
    Good question!

Quote Originally Posted by Zfog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino68 View Post
    Good question!
    If I never smoked one before, yes. After smoking this one, would I purchase more of these special sizes? Your question will be answered later this week.....

I don't have one so I would have been content with a strong NO.
    Haha thats why I love you Veeral.

"The Cigar & Pipe Kid" donovanrichardson's Avatar

Great review Veeral, very descriptive and awesome pictures!

Crap though...now I've got ANOTHER cigar to try some day haha!

In your opinion, how does this Vitola stack up to other Opus vitoltas in the line? Just curious on your thoughts.

You're on top of it with the HTF cigar reviews, Veeral!
    As was said by Saul (Pineapple Express) regarding the smoking of something rare: "It's like killing a unicorn."

I hereby dub thee "The Unicorn Slayer".

Nice review, bro!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast