Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Don Juan Urquijo Half Corona (Philippines) Review

This is a discussion on Don Juan Urquijo Half Corona (Philippines) Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I got this little guy as a gift from Seasick Sailor (Mike), because I wanted to try some Philippine cigars, ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Don Juan Urquijo Half Corona (Philippines) Review

I got this little guy as a gift from Seasick Sailor (Mike), because I wanted to try some Philippine cigars, and he wanted to share some. I definitely got the better end of the deal.

I don't have pictures of the smoking process, but here's a picture of the original bomb. This cigar is one of the two little guys in the photo:

Little guys, indeed - according to the web site, these are 3.75 x 24. Here's a little of the advertising copy from their site:

Don Juan Urquijo is La Flor de La Isabela's newest brand and most premium blend. Filler from the Dominican Republic and Brazil, combined with a Philippine binder and Connecticut wrapper create a medium-mild aroma with a smooth creamy, and sweet taste. This brand has been noted by some connoisseurs as "the perfect morning cigar."
    -- most complex (flavor) in the world because of the different tobaccos used in the cigar - from 5 origins and made perfect by Mr. Alfredo Salinas, a master cigar maker.

OK - that part about "most complex flavor in the world" is probably advertising hype. I will say, however, that this cigar far and away exceeds any other cigarillo I have tried, when it comes to complexity. More on this later.

The filler is a blend of Brazilian, Dominican, and Philippine tobaccos. The binder is listed as "Isabela, Philippines," and the wrapper is Connecticut.

A sniff of the cigar before lighting yielded strong earthy notes. I toasted the foot with my trusty Ronson (Thanks, Gahdzilla - Cliff!), then V-cut the head. First puff confirmed the unlit hints of earth - strong earthy flavor, with a powerfully creamy aftertaste that coated and lingered slightly sweetly in my mouth.

These two were the main flavors throughout the smoke. The earth held fairly steady, while the creaminess increased as I went along. But as I smoked, flirty little hints of pepper and spice and wood and something grassy and almost minty danced in and out of the smoke, making each draw an adventure. I swear to you, I alternated between staring at that little stick in surprise, and examining it as though it would give me a clue as to what was coming next.

The burn was 99% perfect. There was one vein in the wrapper that burned a little bit slowly at one point, but it corrected itself quickly.

Even though I used a cheap V-cutter on this small cigar, the head held together very well, and I didn't get a mouthful of tobacco crumbs. Also, the draw was very nice - easy enough to get plenty of smoke, but not like sucking on an empty straw. Although I'm not an expert, or anything close to an expert, or anything in the ballpark of anything close to an expert, I think this says something positive about the quality of construction.

The second one I have is going into the coolidor for a year. Check back then to see my review of the rested model.

Meanwhile, I think it would be very interesting to try one of the larger vitolas to see how the flavor profile plays out with more tobacco and longer smoking time. They make a panatella ...

I smoked this after lunch - I'm not a morning cigar guy, generally. Great way to take a break from the hectic office.
    Last edited by bazookajoe; 04-07-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: op request
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Re: Don Juan Urquijo Cigarillo (Philippines) Review

OK - my bad. This is not a cigarillo - it's a half corona - 4.00 x 37. Sorry!

Hopefully a nice Mod will fix my title.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Re: Don Juan Urquijo Half Corona (Philippines) Review

Thank you, nice mod - whoever you are!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Stinkdyr's Avatar

Good review. I think it is fun to try stix from unusual places. I have had a couple of Indonesians that I liked. And a Haiti stick.........not so much.

:-)

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkdyr View Post
    Good review. I think it is fun to try stix from unusual places. I have had a couple of Indonesians that I liked. And a Haiti stick.........not so much.

:-)
    I had a Srintil (Indonesian) a while back that really blew me away. I think maybe I have a thing for tobaccos from that side of the world.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader ca21455's Avatar

Thanks for the nice review Mike. I am always looking for a good short smoke.

Full grown Puffer Fish stevodenteufel's Avatar

Good review, gotta still try the one I got. Did you try the Sumatra yet? When I smoked it it felt a bit dry, gonna let the others sit for awhile before I write a review. Really nice of Mike to send them to us

Also to the user that mentioned them, Haitian cigars?! Never heard of them before! How were they?...I always assumed Haiti didnt have any soil that wasn't degraded.

Rodrigo & Panacea Rep amsgpwarrior's Avatar

I smoked a lot of these and some others when I was in the Philippines visiting my family. Unfortunately I don't remember shit about them nor how they tasted, but now I want to revisit them after reading this review.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Haven't tried the Sumatra, yet - looking forward to it, though!

No longer a community member.

You should go for a Real deal Like a Robusto or a Coronas Largas, Churchil, the Don Juan Urquijo will amaze you !

That half Coronas are made by the Lieberman bunching with the scraps of the Premium, choose a real Premium and ENJOY !

Puffer Fish with many spikes Stinkdyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stevodenteufel View Post
    Also to the user that mentioned them, Haitian cigars?! Never heard of them before! How were they?...I always assumed Haiti didnt have any soil that wasn't degraded.
    Haitian cigar was lousy. They probably will eventually make good cigars....but I haven't seen evidence of it yet.

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

The prospect of Haitian tobacco is interesting sounding; it IS right next door to the Dominican Republic after all. And Phillipine tobacco smokes do have a track record dating back awhile, but I presume with not much success (remember Canary Island produced cigars - in that category). Nonetheless, Phillipine cigars have had some nice showings in past years...anybody remember Fighting Cock and Double Happiness? The Fighting Cocks were like just weaker strength Cubans in flavor. The Double Happiness - mostly a cuter novelty. JM2C.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Don Juan Urquijo Half Corona Update

Well, I tried the second stick last night. The creaminess, spice, and grassiness were still there, with a definite cedar undertone. The earthy foundation I noticed in the first one was not present this time. Still a very tasty stick after a year and a half of rest, with a smoother profile than before. I'm really glad I got a chance to try not only one, but two, separated by 18 months of rest.