Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pride Of Panama Cigars Reviews

This is a discussion on Pride Of Panama Cigars Reviews within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Okay so I'm going to start off this thread by saying that Dave from Pride Of Panama is a very ...

Pride Of Panama Cigars Reviews

Okay so I'm going to start off this thread by saying that Dave from Pride Of Panama is a very generous BOTL. I had contacted him with an interest in getting my hands on a couple of those 7X70's he posted here. He told me that he actually grew up right by me and would be local to me in a couple of weeks and that he could deliver them personally. He also said he would give me a couple of extras. Well like I said, Dave(Puros del Istmo de Panama) is a very generous man. I only requested the 4 7X70's. The rest were given to me try. So, having said all that I am going to do my best at honestly reviewing these sticks. I am new and do not have an educated palette, but I think this should be a good experience for all of us. Feedback much appreciated.

"If I went all in, would you call me..?"

Re: Pride Of Panama Cigars Reviews

So here goes review #1.
    This first stick is an Oro De Panama, it's a toro vitola, and it was rolled just over two weeks ago. I would have waited awhile before smoking but Dave suggested I smoke one now. I believe it is a Panama puro and it appears to have a maduro wrapper. Dave please correct me if I'm wrong. This is my first ever review so bare with me, I typed it out as I smoked.

Starts off with a ton of smoke and an equally large amount of flavor. It did however go out after about ten draws. After the first inch the flavor changed some and mellowed out a little bit. I'm going to say that I tasted spice enough to enjoy both in flavor and retrohale. Right about the end of the first third I believe I got a taste of chocolate and the intensity of the spice increased. As I got into the second third the spice mellowed out and the smoke became very creamy. I'm still very new to this hobby so trying to identify flavors is dificult for me, please bare with me. About half way through the second third and I think I've gotten some nutty and citrus flavors, and the spice has started to come back. Throughout, this continues to be a very smooth medium to full bodied smoke. The burn on this cigar has not been perfect but decent. I have had to make minor corrections, but I borderline obsess over burn lines and have done that with opus x and padron 1926 as well. I believe that it is a personal problem. lol Getting to the end of the second third and the spice has mellowed out again and the creaminess has picked back up. Still having dificulty identifying the flavors that I'm enjoying, but I am enjoying them. Starting into the final third the cigar has smoothed out to a solid medium bodied smoke, though the spice seems to be coming back ever so slightly and now I am tasting somewhat of a nutty chocolate. As I typed that last sentence the cigar went out for the second time. Ash knocked off and re-lit, blew out the first puffs and I seem to have lost the nutty chocolate. At least I believe that's what it was. A ways in to the final third and the spice has crept back a little more. I think I'm getting an earthy leathery taste though not sure that's what it is. I very willingly nubbed this cigar as it never became bitter. Overall my opinion of this stick is that is definitely a medium to full bodied premium cigar. The ash held tight and only got tipped off twice before I let it go. Enough flavor complexity to keep me paying attention and I'm sure with some age it will only improve. If I had a 1-10 rating scale this is around a 7-8 modestly.

Nice review! Those two sticks are HUGE!!! I honestly don't know if I would ever try one or not. Is there a reason for making them so big? I really have no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by E Dogg View Post
    Nice review! Those two sticks are HUGE!!! I honestly don't know if I would ever try one or not. Is there a reason for making them so big? I really have no clue...
    Thanks.
    As for the 7x70. I'm not sure yet. They were $5 each. In conneticut and Sumatra wrappers. I think I might feel more manly after smoking one. Lol. I will be reviewing those and the rest from Pride Of Panama here in this thread. I hope they are all equally enjoyable. Thanks again

That's it? You promise to review the batch of cigars you showed us and 14 months later you haven't reviewed even one more? Were they that bad or that good that you got sidelined? Or are you giving them more time to age in your humi? So they're that green? Bet you just forgot. So they're that forgettable? Just wondering. I've got one and wanted fair warning, but it's not the one you reviewed.

Larry
    West Palm

Larry, I guess, from your profile, you guys both have a memory problem. Alex for not posting a follow-up andyou for, well,,, only posting five times in over five years!
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by ljlemer View Post
    That's it? You promise to review the batch of cigars you showed us and 14 months later you haven't reviewed even one more? Were they that bad or that good that you got sidelined? Or are you giving them more time to age in your humi? So they're that green? Bet you just forgot. So they're that forgettable? Just wondering. I've got one and wanted fair warning, but it's not the one you reviewed.

Larry
    West Palm
    Alex hasn't logged on here for several months.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by socalocmatt View Post
    Alex hasn't logged on here for several months.
    Darn i was going to ask him what that second to last one was. looks like a candy bar!

Pride of Panama Torpedo Sumatra: A low 3 1/2 stars out of 5. This is a barely better than average "budget Dominican" type mildish cigar, although Panamanian. No complexity but pleasant flavor if you like this type of smoke. The construction is good enough. It looked like it was going to tunnel right off the bat but changed course. If you can get it cheap it's worth a try. Otherwise I'd pass on it.