Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; TEN, 5.75x50 Cain Maduro's by Oliva for $31.00. Not a bad deal at all. W.R. from Church Point, LA thinks ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

TEN, 5.75x50 Cain Maduro's by Oliva for $31.00. Not a bad deal at all. W.R. from Church Point, LA thinks so. He is currently winning 23 of the 40 lots offered for $31.00. Either a retailer loading up on some inventory or he LOVES THIS STICK. I need to smoke one SOON. I have smoked the Cain Daytona 6x60 Double Toro. A very good cigar.

As is #130, 5 VEGAS SERIES 'A' Apocalypse, 6x58. Deep maduro flavors with just enough spice. Cigar became very smooth toward the end. 5 Vegas's record stay intact. Still 100% in producing winners. Every line they have put out has been at least good. Several like this Series 'A', Miami, 2010 Limitada, are very good. Give this darkie a 4 out of 5, Very Good. Think I will switch to Robusto size this month. Most sticks I score are always 6, 7, 8, by 50, 52, 54, or 60. Worth a try to see if my smoking desires can be satisfied by a 5.5x50 and not have me torch a second directly after. Maybe I will try it on at least a few lots I score and keep the big Connecticut daily I enjoy first most days. We shall see. Have a good day.

WHINING about FREE FALL two posts ago and it ONLY GETS WORSE. Putting 10, 4x64 Connecticut Nub Torpedo's up for bid at $25.00 per 10 lot is just rotten. Those suckers know when I bid each month, and when I have blown my thin wad of cash they always post the sh^t directly afterward.

Well, they don't, but it seems like it. I have determined I like "dark" sticks as much, or equally too that of "lighter" shaded sticks. I determined this like I would expect any cigar smoker would, which is by noticing what sticks I run out of first. Thus far, since June 24th when my first of 3 small orders arrived, until this past Wednesday, when my last small order arrived, I have polished off darker sticks at a much higher rate taking into consideration the amount of that cigar I had in my inventory. Reposado '96 Habano wrapper and Padilla Achilles Salomon Habano wrapper were the first lines to near their end.

From this last small order, the four Habano wrapped Padilla 1948 Edi Lim Robustos are GONE, the four El Mejor Emerald Sumatra's are down to one, and the four 5 Vegas Series 'A' 6x58's are history. Couldn't get enough of the Series 'A', excellent cigar. The only lighter wrapped Connecticut I am close to polishing off is surprisingly is the "Working Man's Excalibur", John Bull 7.2x54 Prime Ministers. An excellent burning cigar that could carry the label of a "Generic" Excalibur easily. Have to grab an Excalibur this week at my local and do an actual quality taste test smoke. Since I love Excalibur, I guess it is not a surprise after all that I would finish off first a stick with similar characteristics.

Found some new sticks I did not know I had. SO LAME. Not like I have hundreds aging. Just put them in the bottom of the cooler when they arrived and forgot.
    EXCELLENT!

Like I said before, Oliveros is making some FINE cigars these days.
    This #131, OLIVEROS KING HAVANO MADURO FUERTE 6.5x54 Torpedo is a magnificent cigar. No stick could look better. The flavor is bold and solid. Dark Espresso flavor and Black Pepper is what the details say. Both are blended perfectly so that neither stands out and controls the flavor output. These Oliveros sticks always go for $2 or $3. Always. I got my 2 at $2 each. Another steal from Cigar Bid that I bet they don't mind.

I have to look to try the Oliveros XL Bold and Double Maduro , Black Knight, and King Havano Claro. Already smoked the excellent Oscuro and Eight-Zero. I gave the Oliveros Classic a 2.5 out of 5 a long while ago. Have to revisit that stick as well . Keep these stogies on the low key to avoid any price jumps, aside from a few buds reading this stuff.

Misrepresentation runs rampant in our society. So many things are never what they seem. Putting aside the "downgraded" GURKHA BEAUTY'S I purchased because they are still a good smoke, I cannot even secure "honest and upfront" tools to purchase my cigars.

I decided to start using a Prepaid Visa so I do not empty out my bank account month after month. On the front is says "RE-LOADABLE"!! Now I assumed that meant I can put MORE cash down on the card when I needed too, which I MAY need to do tonight. Went to Rite Aid were I bought the card and the cashier tried and tried and then called her manager. He cleared up the problem in 6 seconds. This is a "TEMPORARY" card and is NOT RE-LOADBALE!! But the package said plain as day, RELOADABLE. No, it is not re-loadable. What, so the Green Dot Visa LIES to sell their cards??? No, not really. They will SEND you a re-loadable in 7 to 10 business days. But my cigar auction closes tonight at 11:59PM and this card I bought 2 days ago does not have enough on it to cover my debt if I win?? SO!! WHAT YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? Not a DAM thing can be done. Already used the sucker instead of keeping my full original balance on the card because I assumed since the package said RELOADBALE in big letters like this I could put more money on the card. They can take their fine print details, which is where it ACTAULLY says THIS CARD IS NOT RELOADABLE, only the permanent one sent on 10 days is re-loadable. I wonder how many more times I have to be whacked over the head by B.S. before I either do something stupid or start being a nit picking detail freak?

At least my bud "snagstang" got a decent sampler headed my way. Cannot WAIT to open that box!!!

Keeper of the Cheaper snagstangl's Avatar

dont worry they will "hold" your order if there is not enough money on the card. I have been short on cash at some point and they keep sending you emails and phone calls till you do, so it will take care of yourself.
    Why doesn't everyone think I'm as funny as I do, it must be them.

Received an excellent selection of cigar from my bud "snagstang" that will allow me to sample some lines I would have dropped an $8 to $10 spot on for a 5 pack at Cigar Bid. Very nice.

I started with #132, CU-AVANA Connecticut Robusto, 5x50 and gave it a decent 3 out of 5. Just offered enough to reach the average or good level. Not exactly the creamy type Connecticut flavor a 5 Vegas Gold or Rocky Patel Connecticut offers. More of a mild spice/tobacco flavor combo like Perdomo Slow-Aged, Inmenso, Mark Twain, or John Bull. I don't smoked Robusto's often, but this one smoked very well. I'll be more then happy to smoke the 2nd Cu-Avana Robusto I recieved in a day or two.

I am only about one inch through what was the cedar wrapped Pioneer Valley Maduro Torpedo. Good thus far. Also, maybe 10 more sticks to sample form today's delivery, and 5 more from my small Cigar Bid order arriving tomorrow. Excellent!

glad you got them, I hope they were in okay condition, I don't cello everything.

Perfect condition actually. Included some recently tried and liked very much sticks in Morro Castle and 5 Vegas Series 'A'.

The box included #133, PIONEER VALLEY MADURO 6.5x52 Torpedo. I gave the Connecticut a 2.5 out of 5. It JUST MISSED a good or average 3 due to a lack of tobacco flavor. Still smokeable though with no issues. The Maduro makes the average or good mark at3 out of 5. Offers a nice sweet taste with very mild hints of chocolate. Just enough to make you puff stronger in hopes of increasing. I enjoyed the cigar very much. While I am on darkies, I also enjoyed
    #134, LA ESTRELLA CUBANA OSCURO 6x50 Toro. Another stick just making the grade that offers just enough in hints of dark maduro flavor to keep your on a power draw kick. Both burned nice and slow, and are a great deal at their usual price.
    Looking for a box from my Cuz who resides in Texas, and is my partner in cigars. He always takes care of me well beyond what I deserve. And a small box from Cigar Bid with one of my new daily favorites, El Mejor Emerald.
    No issue about quantity or quality this month!!!

Padilla makes some very fine cigars. Signature 1932 and Miami offer awesome flavor.
    #135, PADILLA DOMINUS 7x48 Churchill offers a likeable full flavor as well. To me, the flavor is not as appealing as the other two I mentioned but still very good. It is a solid 4 out of 5 and is worth a try at the right price.

# 136, PADILLA SINGLE-BATCH 6x58 Toro Grande is a lot plainer then the Dominus. The flavor level still reaches good though and deserves a 3 out of 5. It is an excellent cigar for $2.50. Still have yet to smoke a Padilla that is off the mark and on at least a good smoke. With these two I have at least finished off all the current lines offered at Cigar Bid. Still have a few Limitada Edicions to try like Miami. Cigar Bid used to sell the sampler of samplers, 3 Signature 1932 Edi Lim Oscuro's, a perfect cigar, and 3 Miami Edi Lim Salomons. Have to score a Miami Edi Lim Salomon sooner or later

How many decent tasting value lines does one cigar maker need? From what I have seen that is all some make. A few have 2, maybe 3. Gurkha seems to have the lead by far. Add #137, the GURKHA VIPER XO 6x60 to the list of Sherpa, Sherpa Cafe, Cuban Legacy, Park Avenue, Park Avenue Maduro, Evil, Castle Hall, Blue Steel, Regent, G5, Symphony, Connecticut Reserve, and maybe a few I forgot. All good, average cigars that have a decent flavor/taste. However, none rise up to VERY GOOD or EXCELLENT. Gurkha has a few of those as well. And now they have another 3.5 out of 5, or the high side of good in the Viper. An excellent burning cigar with a massive draw that has a nice dark brown flavor. Reminded me a LOT of a 5 Vegas Classic 6x60 Judge only less spicy. For the right price, like the $4 I paid, it is a good smoke. Will I look to buy one for a 2nd smoking? Probably not..

More Gurkha goodness from #138, GURKHA EMPIRE SERIES V - 5.5x52. The product descript on this one is right on the mark. Very smooth, creamy, good tobacco tasting Connecticut cigar. Only comes in the one size and can usually be won for around $3 at Cigar Bid. Gets a 3.5 out of 5 and is as good as any Connecticut I have smoked from Gurkha.

# 139, OLIVEROS XL DOUBLE MADURO - 5x52, Ends the Oliveros streak of very good cigars at 3 in a row sampled. I assume the regular Oliveros XL line is very similar, which would be a cigar that lacks in good tobacco flavor, and is dominated by a generic spice flavor. Oliveros Classic is the same way, bold spice and not much else. So if you fancy a dark spiced up cigar this stick may appeal too you. I need a little more to give any higher then a 2.5 out of 5.

Kinky Friedman cigars burst back onto the scene last year with a lot of hype, at Cigar Bid at least. Once the initial comeback craze was over, it has settled into a good cigar that can be won at $3 or $4 most anytime. The prices at C.I. are still a bit insane but what ya goin' to do.

The Texas Jewboy (torpedo) finally offers a "economically" price line called #140, KINKSTER BUNDLES, the Robusto 5x50 is the size I smoked from my "snagstang" sampler. It is not a bad cigar. Litter on flavor then the $8 Kinky sticks and their now 4 lines, but still good. It is a crisp smoking cigar that is a good buy at $2 or less. Zero bitterness or bad after taste, and just short on enough taste to get better then 2.5 out of 5. I may score some of these at CBid as a filler smoke in between my better ones. 20, 7x50 Churchills always for for less then $30.00.

Next to Perdomo's Reserve Limited Oscuro, which earned a 3 out of 5,
    #141, TIERRA DEL SOL, 7.5x50 Double Corona is probably the worst Perdomo cigar I have smoked. It gets 3 out of 5 as well. meaning it reaches average or good as a daily filler smoke. I think Perdomo's cigars are that good. T. D. SOL offers a decent taste and a massive draw.
    It is the exact type of cigar I would want to keep a 5 pack on hand for a change now and then.

Love this thread, it's given me a lot of good things to seek out in my scouring of the devil site Thanks!

Puffer Fish with some spikes canadacigar's Avatar

come on rich... no more sampler reviews

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast