Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ......I thought they killed this thread. Moved to reviews??? I'm not giving any reviews. Just letting smokers know what new ...

Unhappy Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

......I thought they killed this thread. Moved to reviews??? I'm not giving any reviews. Just letting smokers know what new cigars lines I am trying and a line or two as to whether or not they are smokeable. Reviews should detail a little more then that I hope. So lame.

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

.....SAN CRISTOBAL ELEGANCIA IMPERIAL (6" x 52) I would call this a '93' Rated cigar. Along with the Don Pepin Garcia's Vegas Cubanos it could be the best Connecticut wrapped cigar I have smoked. Perfect draw and burn and some great tobacco flavor that reaches medium. You can get these daily at Cigar Bid for about $5per. Definitely worth a try.

.....ALEC BRADLEY BLACK MARKET CHURCHILL (7" x 50) Not as good as the TEMPUS QUADRUM (5.5" x 55) or the VICE PRESS 6T4 (5" x 64), but still a very good cigar. Should be a '90' Rated, tangy flavored bomb. If you love full flavored maduros you will love the Black Market. I scored two of these Churchill's for $4per, and 3 of the 5.2"x52 Robusto for $3per at Cigar Bid. A steal for those prices.

.....SAINT LUIS REY TORO (6" x 50) Loved this cigar. Another perfect burn and draw with a very slow burn. Solid medium flavor that I think will get better after some naked aging. Easily a 90+ Rated cigar. Comparable to PUNCH, OLIVA SERIE 'G', or EP CARRILLO. I'll buy 5 Packs all day long at Cigar Bid for the $11 this one ran me. Have to try the maduro.

.....PUROS INDIOS RESERVA MAXIMA VINTAGE 2003 ROBUSTO (5" x 50) A good value line smoke. Creamy, smooth with tons of smoke. Maybe high mild flavor offering not hindered by tons of spice like other Puros Indios lines. Would be a fine morning smoke. Would give this a good, average '79' Rating.

.....FONSECA SERIE 'F' ROBUSTO (5" x 52) My new high mild daily favorite. Not sure what FONSECA was thinking when they said the 'F' mean fuerte. About as close to a fuerte as we are to the moon. That fact aside, it is an excellent cigar that smokes as good as any with a nice tobacco flavor with a hint of spice. Cigar Bid offers them now and then. I have been scoring mine at Famous Smoke Shop's 'Cigar Auctioneer' for about $2per. If you enjoy this type of cigar it would be a perfect fit for your rotation.
    Should be a very good '88' Rated cigar.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Rich,

You are one hardcore smoker. Keep it up-- I like your assessments.

I will definitely try to get my hands on Pepin's Vegas Cubanos. I have begun to appreciate Pepin more as I the years have passed....
    Saint Luis Rey (regular line) can be inconsistent (taste and construction) but when they are on, they are pretty darn good.

Thanks for the reviews.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Keeper of the Cheaper snagstangl's Avatar

Good to see you back Rich and commenting. Love your concise descriptions. I of course like puros indios and their spice but we agree on many other things so I guess I will let you have that one.
    Why doesn't everyone think I'm as funny as I do, it must be them.

Quote Originally Posted by snagstangl View Post
    Good to see you back Rich and commenting. Love your concise descriptions. I of course like puros indios and their spice but we agree on many other things so I guess I will let you have that one.
    .....hey bud, just so you know, I have at least tried to smoke every PUROS INDIOS you have sent. Don't recall if I finished them, but I at least tried. I do like 3 of their line though, the one I listed above, the RESERVA MAXIMA VINTAGE 2003, an the CUBA ALIADOS MADURO and COROJO. I have had about 60 the 6x53 MADURO's resting in one of my boxes. Always dip in their a few times a month to enjoy one. Just smoked the COROJO line for the first time a few days ago. Like a mild version of GRAN HABANO VINTAGE 2002 COROJO. Love the mounds of smoke it produces. I have to send you my new favorite value line, FONSECA SERIUE 'F'. Have been stealing them for $2per from Cigar Auctioneer. Then I just noticed Cigar Bid started carrying them today, 5 for a $9.50 Quickbuy. AWESOME. Are you going to send a box any time soon? Hope so!

Smoked a few today that were decent,

CAIN DAYTONA CORONA (6" x 46) Similar to OLIVEROS SUNGROWN and KING HAVANO CLARO lines. The Corona was much better then the 6x60 Double Toro I smoked over the summer. Very smooth, high medium flavor offering.
    Deserves a very good 86 Rating.

NESTOR MIRANDA ART DECO ROBUSTO GRANDE (5" x 54) Not a bad cigar if the price is right. Got a bit spicier as the stick progressed. Decent flavor and great draw. While a good cigar, it did not give me any desire to want smoke again. Worth a try to see if you like. Rated 80.

AUGUSTO REYES EPICURO TORPEDO (6.5" x 54) Smoked most of this stick with water. Did not require much of a French Vanilla espresso assist. Decent, crisp mild tobacco flavor. Add this to the list of good, average value line Connecticut's like 5 Vegas Gold, Mark Twain, Rocky Patel, John Bull, La Perla Habana Cobre, and Perdomo Reserve Golf & Slow-Aged. Rated 78

I tried to copy Cigar Aficionado's rating scale. The only category that I left out, and do not consider, is appearance or packaging. I don't have any shallow hang-ups such as that. Don't get me wrong, when a cigar looks beautiful I notice, and like it just as every smoker does. But flavor, taste, construction, which leads to a great draw and acceptable burn are what I look too when judging a cigar. I will take an ugly looking, no band, awesome flavor bomb if it smokes well, over the highest priced, finest packaged, finest looking double banded cigar made if it's flavor offering doesn't measure up. Here is how I keep track of all the cigar lines I sample for future reference when buying,

69 or Less~Not worth a 2nd smoking.
    70 to 74 ~ Smokeable. Offers just enough not to dislike.
    75 to 79 ~ A good cigar. Your better, good/average daily cigars.
    80 to 84 ~ A very good cigar. An above average smoke.
    85 to 89 ~ A near excellent cigar. Great smoke.
    90 to 95 ~ An excellent cigar. A near perfect smoke.
    96 to 100 ~ A classic cigar. One of a kind.

.....the C.I. LEGENDS SERIES has produced some very good cigars. Good flavor with great quality. The only two I have yet to smoke are the LA AURORA and the scarce NESTOR MIRANDA MADURO. Over the past month I have enjoyed the,

LEGENDS SERIES DON PEPIN GARCIA TORO (5.7" x 54) Packed to fine tobacco and smokes great all the time. I have found it needs at least 4 weeks of naked aging (6 to 8 is better) to bring out more of the cigars spices. Out of the cello it produces tons of smoke and has a good, medium flavor. After some humidor time it is easily a high medium to full flavored stick that simply tastes great. Should be Rated 89!

LEGENDS SERIES GRAYCLIFF TORO (5.7" x 54) Offers great natural tobacco flavor, and like the DON PEPIN GARCIA has a powerful draw and great burn. The quality of these cigars is very good and their earthy flavor offering with just enough spice is perfect. Their price makes them all the more appealing. Rated 88!

SIGNATURE COLLECTION CAMEROON CHURCHILL (7" x 50) Unlike the Salomon, this SIGNATURE line was never offered at C.I. Cigar Bid has them posted all the time. They can be won for under $2per daily. I have smoked two thus far. They may be ugly compared to FUENTE or TORANO Cameroon lines, but their flavor will surprise you. It has more flavor then the FUENTE and to me tastes better. Both have smoked fine, only becoming hotter around the last 3 inches. Rated 85 for flavor, appearance, FAIL!

LA GLORIA CUBANA 'KNOCK-OFF' CHURCHILL (7" x 50) 20 for $41.00 at C.I. is a steal. I could smoke these every day, ALL DAY. Great semi-sweet tobacco flavor with a good burn and draw. Smoked my first earlier today. I had a bundle of the 6.5" x 46 Corona a few months back that were not as good as these Churchill's. I found that letting them rest naked for at least 4 weeks brings out some spices that are not their right of the cello. I will be buying a bundle a month from now on. Rated 88. Can't wait to try the COHIBA and MACANUDO 6x52 Torpedo's that I have coming next month.

.....right now I am smoking my first CARLOS TORANO FORTESS since the summer. This 5.5"x56 Double Robusto has some very good high medium flavor, Rated 88. With so many great tasting cigars offered at Cigar Bid and Cigar Auctioneer, I will probably have forgotten about this smoking come April when I bid again. Sad but true. Can't count how many times I have noticed this happen. No biggie. I'll score another next summer and probably type the same thing.

.....MMMM, can't get enough of the creamy smooth CI KNOCK-OFF LA GLORIA CUBANA 7x50's. Can't wait to try the 6x52 Torpedo, or the Partagas, Macanudo, and the next bundle I have coming Friday, the COHIBA TORPEDO (6" x 52), pinched from Cigar Bid for 25 bucks.

.....ALL of my cigars show an improvement after a 4 to 6 weeks naked aging period. If you are going to age your sticks naked be sure you have the right ones sitting next to each other. More then once have had a flavor change of a great tasting cigar into an off the mark, even bad tasting, generic spice smoke. The last occurrence was between the not good at all really GURKHA FUERTE and the excellent KINKY FRIEDMAN LONE-STAR. The LONE-STAR already has it's perfect blend of spices and flavor. The G. FUERTE'S resting on top of my last 3 gave of what ever scrap Gurkha marinates their wrappers in to the LONE-STARS and they tasted horrible. To a degree I save two after letting them dry out in 40% regular air humidity. Connecticut wrapped smokes are even more tricky. Had maybe 10, very smooth and creamy JOHN BULL PRIME MINISTERS ruined from picking up an unappealing, hint of generic spice from a few LA AURORA Double Coronas I had resting in their small 25 count box. Now I separate my blends even more carefully and still leave the cello on but clip off the open end all the way to the sticks beginning, leaving a 46 to 54 ring opening and still protecting them from soaking up any of the adjacent sticks oils.

.....I am now smoking a LA HERENCIA CUBANA TORPEDO (6.5" x 52). Very good tobacco flavor, Rated 86. And is one of the few blends I have found that age great. Two that age horribly are REPOSADO '96 HABANO & PERDOMO2 MILENARIO CAMEROON TORPEDOS, which were a sad smoke from the start, and in no way simply PERDOMO2 'mistakes'. A few that age great (6 months or more) are 5 VEGAS CLASSIC, PUEBLO DOMINICANO, and LA PERLA HABANA MORADO.

.....Some new sticks I have smoked over the past few days were,

EVELIO PYRAMID (7" x 54) goofy looking cigar. The actually ring size is 95% 45 to 50. Only 54 at the very tip of the cigar. That aside, if you enjoy light wrapped cigars, it has a very nice, high mild, crisp wood like flavor offering, not grassy or damp hay flavor that most often ain't that good. It fits the flavor profile of other similar lines I have smoked like AVO 787, PDR CLASICO, 5 VEGAS GOLD, PADILLA HYBRID, DIAMOND CROWN, ROCKY PATEL CONN., OLIVA CONN, DUNHILL, and EXCALIBUR and should be Rated 84. Doubt if I will be smoking these again though unless I can score the 6x52 Torpedo as you have to clip away nearly an inch off if you want at least a 44 draw.

ROCKY PATEL PURO CUBANA (5.5" x 50) actually very similar to the LA HERENCIA. Got 5 of these is a seriously yellow cello's, HORN O' PLENTY sampler from Cigar Bid. Full yellow cello takes anywhere from 3 to 5 years from what I have noticed. If all lines the included, the 5 VEGAS RELIC was the best. The LA GLORIA CUBANA 5x50 were not that good. Lost most of their spice kick that it offers. Was still a decent smoke. I'll give the R.P. PURO CUBANA an 86 Rating.

PARTAGAS CIFUENTES DICIEMBRE (5.5" x 49) Rated 88, One of my favorites. These also age very well. Of the 3 sizes the 6x54 ENERO tasted the best.

BOLIVAR COFRADIA BELICOSO FINO (6.25" x 50) Rated 90. Had a few years on it. Great flavor, very smooth, great draw, a perfect smoking session. 20 can be stolen from JR right now in their Select 10 Sampler sale.

.....I have two small orders on the, one tomorrow and another Friday with a few new treates from Famous Smoke Shop and Cigar Bid.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

I am curious.... what were your thoughts on the CT Fortress?

To be honest, this was one of my least favorite Torano's....I smoked them at 6 months, 9 months and I have a few left that is over a year old.They do not have the usual depth that CT usually provides.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    I am curious.... what were your thoughts on the CT Fortress?

To be honest, this was one of my least favorite Torano's....I smoked them at 6 months, 9 months and I have a few left that is over a year old.They do not have the usual depth that CT usually provides.
    ....I liked the TORANO FORTRESS 5.5"x56 size better then the 6x60. I agree with you though that it is a good once in a while smoke. I like CT NOVENTA and LOYAL, especially the NOVENTA, better, and could smoke them daily.

....smoking a SAINT LUIS REY Toro (6"x50) right now. Love these. Have the SERIE 'G' and SERIE 'G' Maduro coming in later today along with maybe 6 other new blends after some solid bidding success at Cigar Auctioneer. Also have a 9 Cigar Flight Sampler coming next week of the ZEN by little brother Nish Patel I stole for 28 bucks.

Connecticut Puffer

This thread is great, I am working my way through it, but I am only one page 6 right now. I snuck a peak at one of your posts right above this about the Partagas winter enero. I recently had one of those but it was terrible, tastes really sour and I killed it off half way through. Maybe I just had a bad stick. I'm pretty sure I have more of these, so I'll just let them rest longer. I also have a ton of the deciembre, but I have not tried any yet. I can't get myself to light one up after the bad enero.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay106n View Post
    This thread is great, I am working my way through it, but I am only one page 6 right now. I snuck a peak at one of your posts right above this about the Partagas winter enero. I recently had one of those but it was terrible, tastes really sour and I killed it off half way through. Maybe I just had a bad stick. I'm pretty sure I have more of these, so I'll just let them rest longer. I also have a ton of the deciembre, but I have not tried any yet. I can't get myself to light one up after the bad enero.
    .....Honestly. they are not VERY GOOD unless you let them age naked for at least 4 months. The more the better. I also found if they are fresh, the spice the cigar offers does not blend well with the tobacco flavor. Humidor time tones down the bold spice and the cigar tastes much better.

.....but this KINKY FRIEDMAN SPECIAL EDITION 'BIG RICHARD' (6.5" x 54) I am smoking now only needs to air out a week or two and is one of the best maduro smokes out their. Easily a 90+Rated cigar.
    Last edited by rah0785; 02-05-2012 at 02:19 AM.

.....Smoked some very good blends from Famous Smoke Shop.

PERDOMO ALABAO ROBUSTO (5" x 54) Nice caramelized, high medium flavor. Very smooth blend that seems like it would be good in any size. Should be Rated 87. The price makes it an even better daily smoking option I plan to take advantage off.

FAMOUS NICARAGUAN 6000 CHURCHILL (7" x 50) I have been pleasantly surprised at the fine tasting house blends I have found like CI LEGENDS PEPIN, GRAYCLIFF, DREW ESTATES, PATEL, PERDOMO, MATASA, CAMACHO, and FAMOUS NIGARAGUAN 3000, 6000, and SIGNAURE SERIES. This Nicaraguan 6000 reminded a lot of a La Aurora at first then switching to a Bolivar Cofradia Suntuoso. Lots of bold spicy flavor that would probably taste even better after some humidor time. A good full flavored, 85 Rated cigar. I have to give the Connecticut and Maduros a try.

SIGNATURE SERIES ROBUSTO by DON PEPIN GARCIA (5" x 50) Like the blend Don Pepin Garcia kicked in for the Legends Series, this Signature blend is awesome. Smooth, semi-sweet habano flavor, again, that would better with a good 4 to 6 weeks of naked aging. The cigars price is amazing. I will be buying these again for sure, and give it a 88 Rating out of the cello.

ROCKY PATEL CUBAN BLEND TORO (6" x 52) One of Rocky Patels best blends. Another Corojo masterpiece with a flavor offering that can hold it's own with PADILLA MIAMI and 5 VEGAS CASK STRENGTH. Seems as smooth as the MIAMI combined with the spiciness of the GRAN HABANO VINTAGE 2002 Corojo. Rated 90 without any humidor time. Still have to torch the maduro for the first time since summer.

IMPERIAL TORPEDO by GRAN HABANO (6" x 54) If you like LA AURORA you should like this GRAN HABANO value line. VERY SIMILAR. I only like LA AURORA smokes with LOTS of age on them, and even then they are not one of my favorites. This blend is still very smokeable, and with some humidor time should mellow out and may be even better then it's 78 Rating.

SAINT LUIS REY SERIE 'G' NO.6 (6" x 60) The most impressive looking cigar in the 80 lot I received. The maduro looks even more imposing. I hope it is as this big herf stick tasted like a toned version of the regular SAINT LUIS REY line, which itself is very good. Maybe some humidor time will create something in the 3 Belicosos I have left. Still a perfect smoke. Burn and draw where excellent. Flavor was very smooth and just medium. Should be Rated 85, and one you may like if you would prefer a milder version of the regular Saint Luis Rey line.

.....today line looks good as well. DON BARRETO by OLIVA, SIBONEY by ALEC BRADLEY, PATEL CUBAN BLEND MADURO, and the SAINT LUIS REY SERIE 'G' MADURO.

.....If you happen to be a self proclaimed "maduro whore" like my bud Eric, the first three are a MUST try.

SAINT LUIS REY SERIE 'G' MADURO BELICOSO (6.5" x 54) This cigar has massive potential if given some humidor time. I plan to let my last two rest naked for at least 6 months and then give one another smoking. This cigar has a combo flavor offering of two of the best maduro blends I have smoked, CAMACHO TRIPLE MADURO & PNAR del RIO RESERVA LIMITADA. After 48 hours out of the cello it is Rated 88. After some naked aging, who knows.

ROCKY PATEL CUBAN BLEND MADURO TORO (6" x 52) This rare time the fatty offered the better smoking session. I rated the 6"x60 I smoked 4 months back an excellent '92'. Again, like the S.L.R. Serie G Maduro some humidor time may bring this toro up to that level. Still offered awesome, semi-sweet maduro flavor. One of Rocky Patels best blends. The 6"x52 Toro gets Rated 90, with two resting for future enjoyment.

LA FLORIDITDA LIMITED EDITION ROBUSTO (5" x 50) Amazing a cigar priced at $3 can offer as much or close to the best I have smoked. The 5"x60 I smoked over the summer was awesome. This 5"x50 is just as good. Has a full, semi sweet, PADILLA like flavor offering. Thinking similar to the SIGNATURE 1932, or DOMINUS, or CAZADORES. This fine smoke gets Rated 90 easy. Hard to imagine some aging would make it even better.

SIBONEY ROBUSTO (5" x 54) Has some nice flavor. Smokes great. Nothing bad to say. Worth a try to see if this Alec Bradley blend appeals to you. Would I smoke again? Yes. Rated 79. Can't wait to try SIBONEY RESERVE by Don Pepin Garcia.

ARTORIUS GRAND ROBUSTO (5" x 54) Like SIBONEY has some good flavor and smokes great. Need some aging to take the edge off though. If this blend smooths out, it could be a very decent smoke. If I buy happen to by again I will let them rest naked for at least 4 to 6 weeks, the time period that shows a marked improvent in every blend I smoke. Rated 77.

.....HOLLY SHAT! Need a quick laugh? Check out this 'legit' Samplers for sale page. 5 GURKHA CENTURIAN PERFECTO (6" x 60) for $100.00! How do they keep them in stock???? Or the 5 GURKHA CREST TORPEDO (6.5" x 52) for $133.70. I would be all over these, but that 70 cents is the deal breaker! Can't wait to try a $11 OLIVEROS EIGHT-ZERO, or a $7.20 LA PERLA HABANA ROJO. One thing I can say, if they keep this inventory separate from C.I.'s, it has to have some serious age on it. Their is one very good deal I may even buy. See if you can spot this 4.5"x60 flavor bomb for $3.00per. One of the few blends I have NEVER heard a bad word about.

All Samplers - Humidor.com

.....Many larger rings cigars simply do not offer the same level of flavor as the thinner ringed smokes from that blend. The PADILLA MIAMI is a good example. This 7.5"x42 MIAMI LANCERO I am enjoying now offers a much better flavor then the 7.2"x57 MIAMI SALOMON. Same with the 4.5"x50 CAMACHO TRIPLE MADURO ROBUSTO I rated an awesome '97'. It did have nearly 3.5 years on it. The TRIPLE MADURO 6"x60 purchase split I did with my cuz comes no where near the awesome flavor that Robusto offered. While the 6"x60 is still a very good 90 Rated stick, even after 7 months of naked aging, falls way short of the smaller ring version. Same with SAINT LUIS REY SERIE 'G'.

SAINT LUIS REY SERIE 'G' TORPEDO (6.5" x 54) is a much better smoke then the fat 6"x60 size of this same blend. This much thinner stick offered more spice that blended perfectly with the Habano wrapped tobacco flavor. Very smooth with a perfect burn and great draw. I will be trying to steal more of the smaller ring sizes down the road for sure. Rated 88.

DON BARRETO CHURCHILL by OLIVA (7" x 50) Everyone know OLIVA produces some of best cigars made. This value-line blend is no different. Smokes perfectly, and was smooth as silk. Nice medium gingerbread like flavor, that for $2per, is an awesome smoking option in between your higher priced premiums. Rated 84.

LA PRINCESA de CUBA TORPEDO (6" x 52) This cigar burns perfectly with an awesome draw. What a waste as it's flavor offering is far from appealing. Starts of grassy and then changes to hardly no flavor. Mild cigars do not have much room for any flavor shortcomings, even if they give of thick clouds of smoke. Maybe they are to fresh. A You Tube review I watched before buying described a completely different cigar then the few I have smoked in all 3 sizes. I will let my remaining 10 sit for a long while to see in the grassy-ass flavor subsides. Rated 69. As of right now, no need to smoke again with 15 creamy, buttery & nutty tasting, high mild PADILLLA HYBRID TORPEDO's coming later this month.

ps.
    .....anyone who enjoys perfect smoking, grassy tasting cigars email me for a small trade, PLEASE!

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast