Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; .....JR's closeout page has two of the best blends going at the lowest prices ever. The BOLIVAR COFRADIA SUNTUOSO is ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

.....JR's closeout page has two of the best blends going at the lowest prices ever. The BOLIVAR COFRADIA SUNTUOSO is an awesome, full flavored cigar marked down from $6per to around $3.50per. 10 glass tubos would be a great investment. As would 20 of the smoke I am savoring now, the regular BOLIVAR COFADIA line. Smoking the 5"x54 Robusto. This one has smoothed out quit a bit having a good 3+years on it. Easily a 90+ Rated cigar, and at JR they have Select 10 Samplers giving you 2 of each size in the 10 lot for $39.95 and add the 2nd Select 10 Sampler for only 10 bucks. Have a few other great smokes in the same deal like EXCALIBUR, HOYA de MONTERREY, PUNCH, and one of my all time favorites SANCHO PANZA, along with another 6 or 7 great deals. One of those deals has my interest but I need some first hand Puffer input.

.....Has anyone smoked the FONSECA 1907 line? Connecticut wrapped cigar, Mexican binder, with Dominican filler. They are 'giving' away 50 for $65.00 at JR. Now this either means they have TONS on hand, or this is a maybe first FONSECA unsmokeable cigar. Everyone knows the basic flavor offering that light shaded Connecticut wrapped cigars offer. Some kick up creamy mild buttery, or nutty, or a woody flavor base. Examples being PERDOMO CHAMPAGNE, PADILLA HYBRID, 5 VEGAS GOLD, ROCKY PATEL CONN, LA PERLA HABANA COBRE, CU-AVANA and so on. Or does it taste like smoking GRASS or PAPER? Don't want to waste $70 and have 50 sticks on hand. Their are no reviews here at Puff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by rah0785; 02-07-2012 at 04:34 AM.

.....after smoking the 'top-shelf priced' DIAMOND CROWN & DUNHILL AGED, I concluded the flavor difference between high mild Connecticut wrapped cigars does not justify a $15.00 price tag. But what is with these grassy-ass Connecticut blends? I have run into two over the past month, one being LA PRINCESA de CUBA, and now this PRIVATE STOCK #14 (6.5"x50) by DAVIDOFF. While the #14 is better tasting then the La Princesa, and they both smoke perfectly with a nice burn and awesome draw, the #14 teeters on the edge of no flavor with mild grass undertones. PRIVATE STOCK should be Rated 70, and is smokeable if you have no other options, and it did get better at the half-way mark. Thank Christ I still have a few FONSECA SERIE 'F' ROBUSTO's on hand. And two Connecticut prospects, that I have high hopes for, arriving tomorrow, XEN by Nish Patel Flight Sampler, and DON TOMAS SPECIAL EDITION CONNECTICUT TORO (6" x 52), that will hold me until I get my favorite in at month end, the high mild, nutty tasting PADILLA HYDRID, and another 'maybe over-priced' line, the GURKHA WIDOW MAKER CHURCHILL (7" x 52).

.....I consider myself truly blessed to have a pallet that LOVES every type of cigar made. I do go on Connecticut, Maduro, and Habano binges though where I will smoke that type of cigar, for the most part, over the course a week or so. But beyond that I mainly look to smoke a vast variety of different wrapped cigars daily. And finding an awesome Connecticut blend makes me happier then any other. I have found that good, unique mild cigars have been harder to come across. Add the....

XEN TORO (6" x 52) to the Connecticut wrapped cigar list for providing an excellent session. I have not looked into how many blends Nish Patel has produced. I do know this is his first Connecticut wrapped cigar. XEN offers up some great creamy & crisp woody, nutty tobacco flavor with tons of smoke and a near perfect burn. I would think the XEN TORO should be Rated 93 when compared to other cigars of this type. It is also a beautiful cigar to behold, which does not mean much if the cigars taste is off the mark.

.....the 8 Cigar Sampler sells at Famous Smoke Shop for $48.99. That is WAY out of my purchasing price range. I pinched mine from Cigar Auctioneer for 28 bucks. At $3per it is a steal and worth a try for any smoker who enjoys high mild Connecticut wrapped stogies. Also have the DON TOMAS SPECIAL EDITION CONNECTICUT TORO to sample later. It also is a fine looking cigar. Hope it smokes as good as it looks.

......I love it when cigars do not sell at Cigars International. Their only destination after 6 months of sitting is to Cigar Bid auction postings. One of THE BEST non-selling C.I. brands is KINKY FRIEDAN. Their price per stick of $5 or $6 is easy a few bucks less then what they sell for at a local B&M. And with Cigar Bid going from a mainly cigar auction site, to an EQUAL auction/cigar purchase retailer, some brands like KINKY FRIEDMAN can be scored at will for $2per. The BIG RICHARD is one of the best maduro's being offered right now. The regular KINKY is pretty good as well. An for $2per, the KINKY FRIEDMAN LONE-STAR NO.6 (6" x 54) is a steal. A thick, zesty Habano-Criollo wrapped, full flavored gem. Hope they have a few pallets full aging to keep me supplied for years.

.....until today I have only smoked one Don Tomas cigar, the Sungrown, and was a decent smoke. Been looking to try the Corojo at Cigar Bid for while.

DON TOMAS SPECIAL EDITION CONNECTICUT TORO (6" x 52) reminded me of a smooth, creamy Perdomo Connecticut from start to finish. The cigar had a good burn and draw and very good natural tobacco flavor with a mild buttery flavor offering. Very appealing and consistent. The $2per discounted price I can get them for makes a 2nd buy a fact. This very good Connecticut wrapped cigar should be Rated 86.

.....a few juicy looking maduros now await my attention.

.....deals on Acid sticks at Cigar Bid are non exsistent aside from FREE FALL. I have only smoked to today only 4 ACID cigars. The BLONDE BELICOSO (5"x54) was just average, lacked flavor. The ATOM was a bust. The LIQUID was actually a good, high mild Connecticut, and this.....

ACID OPULENCE ROBUSTO (5" x 54) is a decent smoke. This had been sitting in my Cuz's humidor since the summer, when he scored at 10 Lot on Free Fall for $35.00. That may have been to long a resting period from what I have read. It all depends on the cigar I guess. It still has a goofy smell of course, and has been on the verge of offering PADILLA SIG '32 like flavor most of the cigar, but never reaching that fine flavor level. It got a little bitter at the half way point. Still a good buy for $3.50per. Would I buy these? No. They don't offer enough to ignore the smell or store separately. Sill a good Rated 83 cigar.

.....the only 'BAD" Perdomo cigars I have ever smoked were the 'misrepresented' PERDOMO2 MILENARIO CAMEROON and MADURO TORPEDOS. Despite what is said in the cigar details, they are NOT exactly like the regular PERDOMO2 LIMITED EDITION. Not even close. Even after 8 months of aging, for the $2per price, their are 100 better FAR tasting options to chose from at Cigar Bid those two bland value line smokes. Those two lemons aside, I have yet to smoke a BAD Perdomo cigar. I just finished smoking the,

PERDOMO RESERVE LIMITED OSCURO TORO (6" x 50). If you like Oscuro's like the PDR OSCURO and PADILLA MIAMI EDICION LIMITADA OSCURO, two of the best being offered right now, you would probably enjoy this Perdomo Limited. It is only medium at best though. No were near the solid chocolaty flavor offered in the other two I mentioned. But for a lighter tasting darkie, the Perdomo Limited is a good, 82 Rated cigar.

.....also, being on a very limited budget, most of the cigars I purchase get torched a few months after buying. I do get to let maybe 100 sit for a decent period of naked aging. At least 6 months to get the smoother version of that line. Last night I smoked a
    CUBA LIBRE ONE CHURCHILL (7"x52), that had been resting since last August, and it was magnificent. They age to perfection. Talk about some nice smooth full flavor. Awesome cigar. Rated 89.

I have smoked most o the Padillas and they are pretty good for the big discounts. The Dominus seems to be the star out of your bunch. Personally I like the Padilla Habanos myself. The new 8&11 are pretty tasty but around $10 a piece. I heard the Nica Libres are like cheaper Padrons, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Rawls View Post
    I have smoked most o the Padillas and they are pretty good for the big discounts. The Dominus seems to be the star out of your bunch. Personally I like the Padilla Habanos myself. The new 8&11 are pretty tasty but around $10 a piece. I heard the Nica Libres are like cheaper Padrons, but I'm not sure.
    .....the DOMINUS is an excellent cigar. I have only smoked maybe a half dozen as they are harder to score with my $2.50per limited. The PADILLA HABANO TORPEDO is on FREE FALL right now, 20 for only $42.60. I have only smoked it twice and did not care for it, BUT it seemed like a blend that needed a few months of naked aging to smooth out. Some day I will do just that.
    Padilla Habano Torpedo - Box of 20 - CigarBid.com

.....NICA LIBRE is a very good maduro smoke. Ages great. You can call it a PADRON MADURO KNOCK-OFF, but each smoker is different. Over all, the larger ring PADRON MADURO's are better to me then NICA LIBRE. However, I smoked five of the 6.5"x42 PADRON MADARO and it was not as good as NICA LIBRE. Lacked the good flavor the larger ring sticks from that line offer. If you like the PADRON MADURO line NICA LIBRE is worth a try. The Flight Sampler can be scored any night samplers close at Cigar Bid for $2per or less. Get some CUBA LIBRE ONE's while you are at it. They are an excellent smoke and also priced to sell.
    Cuba Libre One Belicoso (Single) - CigarBid.com
    Nica Libre Flight Sampler - 10 Cigars - CigarBid.com

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Rich,

I'll say it again, you are one HARDCORE smoker....keep the reviews coming.

Indeed, the Nica Libre ages EXTREMELY well. They are a very good cigar....I don't understand the Padron comparisons people make--they are a pretty darn good stick in their own right. A year or so ago, I wish I had purchased more as I smoked my last one this past summer. A year REALLY makes a difference with this stick.

I haven't yet had a Cuba Libre, though. That's a Placencia stick, so I can't imagine they'll be bad. I am a sucker for the Maria Mancini, another one of his creations. They age like a charm...try them Rich. I really, really like them at the 1 to 1.5 year mark...I have some 12 year old Mancini's as well... they have smoothed out tremendously, but they still have that Mancini taste and some kick.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    Rich,

I'll say it again, you are one HARDCORE smoker....keep the reviews coming.

Indeed, the Nica Libre ages EXTREMELY well. They are a very good cigar....I don't understand the Padron comparisons people make--they are a pretty darn good stick in their own right. A year or so ago, I wish I had purchased more as I smoked my last one this past summer. A year REALLY makes a difference with this stick.

I haven't yet had a Cuba Libre, though. That's a Placencia stick, so I can't imagine they'll be bad. I am a sucker for the Maria Mancini, another one of his creations. They age like a charm...try them Rich. I really, really like them at the 1 to 1.5 year mark...I have some 12 year old Mancini's as well... they have smoothed out tremendously, but they still have that Mancini taste and some kick.
    .....thanks for the kind words. It does not take much motivation to keep me smoking. My goal is simple. To establish that whatever cigar I am smoking and writing about is "smokeable". Everyone will not end up liking some of them, as their are blends that do not appeal to me. But that does not mean they are not still good cigars. And not wishing to make any Puffers jealous, but being able to torch any cigar I own 24/7 when I get the urge is as good as it gets.

....that is CUBA LIBRE ONE, completely different then CUBA LIBRE. Cuba Libre is good but can touch the ONE! And if I ever get around to scoring a bundle of the JR ALT. DR MONTECTRISTO 6x52 Torpedo I will add Maria Mancini to my list. Can't wait a year but 4 to 8 weeks of naked aging should cause some improvements.

.....don't know if I already noted SAINT LUIS REY SERIE 'G' yet. Smoking the 6.5"x54 Belicoso right now and it is awesome. The maduro version was equally as good. Easily a Rated 88 cigar.

.....and in 7 days I have smoked through ALL FIVE of my DON TOMAS SPECIAL EDITION CONNECTICUT TORO's (6"x52) and five of my six XEN by Nish Patel sampler smokes. As far as high mild Connecticut wrapped cigars go, those two are up their with the best.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    .....thanks for the kind words. It does not take much motivation to keep me smoking. My goal is simple. To establish that whatever cigar I am smoking and writing about is "smokeable". Everyone will not end up liking some of them, as their are blends that do not appeal to me. But that does not mean they are not still good cigars. And not wishing to make any Puffers jealous, but being able to torch any cigar I own 24/7 when I get the urge is as good as it gets.

....that is CUBA LIBRE ONE, completely different then CUBA LIBRE. Cuba Libre is good but can touch the ONE! And if I ever get around to scoring a bundle of the JR ALT. DR MONTECTRISTO 6x52 Torpedo I will add Maria Mancini to my list. Can't wait a year but 4 to 8 weeks of naked aging should cause some improvements.

.....don't know if I already noted SAINT LUIS REY SERIE 'G' yet. Smoking the 6.5"x54 Belicoso right now and it is awesome. The maduro version was equally as good. Easily a Rated 88 cigar.

.....and in 7 days I have smoked through ALL FIVE of my DON TOMAS SPECIAL EDITION CONNECTICUT TORO's (6"x52) and five of my six XEN by Nish Patel sampler smokes. As far as high mild Connecticut wrapped cigars go, those two are up their with the best.
    No problem Rich.

I know about the difference....I am in the process of obtaining a few of the ones right now. They look good and have a very interesting blend of tobaccos. If they are as good as they appear to be, I will try to keep this on the "hush hush" and buy a couple boxes before word catches on. Nestor Plasencia makes some underrated sticks...

As for the Mancini's, they need rest. Let me take that back.... they are very decent, assuming that you AT LEAST let them come up to the proper humidity (IMO 70 to 72%). They have the best flavor at that humidity. If you smoke them under 67% (again IMO), they will taste very ordinary and nothing special.

I really have to reexamine the Don Tomas... it has been YEARS since I've lit one up, and I don't remember it impressing me at the time. I will try to buy some and give them my usual 1 year rest. They'll be good for 2013!
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

.....I have read more then once that high-mild Connecticut wrapped cigar do not need to age beyond the 4 to 8 weeks settling period. Reason given was being a mild cigar their ain't much in their blend to "develop". The 4 to 8 weeks should cut away any bitterness, but if they are bitter to start they are not worth the wait. I found this out when I smoked a ROMEO y JULIETA Churchill with 2years on it, along with an aged ASHTON Churchill, neither of which tasted any different or better from the KINKY FRIEDMAN KINKSTER'S Churchill I smoked between them. The DON TOMAS CONNECTICUT has ZERO bitterness. Of course, smoke one when they arrive and judge for yourself. The,

ALEC BRADLEY TEMPUS MADURO BELICOSO (6.2"x52) is a good maduro smoke, Rated 85. It falls WAY SHORT of the Habano-seed wrapped regular line. Demonstrates once again most cigars get their awesome flavor from their wrapper, and the TEMPUS HABANO is a great tasting cigar, Rated 93.

LA ESTRELLA CUBANA OSCURO TORO (6"x50) is a semi-sweet, low-medium maduro smoke. Rated 80. If you are looking for a value line maduro beyond the LA PERLA HABANA BLACK PEARL or any GURKHA or OLIVEROS MADURO (except the PADRINO ITALIANA which is not to good), La Estrella is a great buy at $1.50per at Cigar Bid.

.....I saw GURKHA has a new value line cigar offered exclusively at Famous Smoke Shop. And is exclusively a fatty 60 ring line called the TEMPLAR. It should hit Cigar Auctioneer sooner or later for a sampling. I don't prefer the 60 ring size, but will try anything once.

.....When April rolls around, and I resume bidding at Cigar Bid, their is a small host of new GURKHA's on my to try list. Not expecting any 90 Rated gems of course. But as always, Gurkha makes some of the best, good tasting daily smokes to burn in between my PADILLA CAZADORES and MIAMI smokes. Starting with the Connecticut wrapped GURKHA MONOGRAM, then the GURKHA ANCIENT RESERVE, GURKHA ARCHIVE, GURKHA ASSASSIN, GURKHA BLACK BEAUTY, GURKHA HAVANA LEGENDS, GURKHA ROYAL BRIGADE, GURKHA NAUTILUS, and GURKHA WIDOW MAKER MADURO. I already have a 5 pack of the WIDOW MAKER CONNECTICUT CHURCHILLS coming this month I scored for $15.

.....It can be won for a $3per bid most nights at Cigar Bid. You would be hard pressed to find BETTER FLAVOR in a $3per smoke then the 7.5"x42 PADILLA MIAMI LANCERO. The 5 VEGAS CASK-STRENGTH has a VERY SIMILAR, just as full flavor base, but is less refined, something that may disappear with some aging. Never had enough on hand to find out, until next month that is. Pinched a 20 box of the 6"x60 Firkin for $43 a few weeks ago I will purchase on March 25th.

.....if you like full flavored maduro cigars who definitely want to give CAPOEIRA MADURO a try. Smoking the 6"x50 Graduado right now and it is great. Awesome char like, chocolaty flavor offering as good any I have smoked. Easily a 91 Rated Cigar.

.....My idea of a good value-line cigar is a blend that sells as C.I. for around $4 to $6per, that can be had at Cigar Bid for $3per of less. Their are dozens and dozens of them. No need to settle for the actual cheaper value line cigar that lacks in quality and most importantly, good flavor. Here are a few value lines that fall way short of the dozens of great tasting $3per or less options you can steal from Cigar Bid or Cigar Auctioneer.

PERDOMO MILENARIO CAMEROON TORPEDO (6.5" x 55) Gave away 20 to my bud that was strapped financially a few months back. I "TRIED" to smoke 4 prior the one I "TRIED" to smoke earlier, which had been aging for about 6 months, and was simply bad. No real appealing flavor what so ever. Bland, and for $2per, takes a back seat to way to many very good blends that can be had for the same price. The maduro is a tad better, but with the PERDOMO LIMITED EDITION OSCURO, GURKHA CUBAN LEGACY or DOBLE MADURO, or SIGNATURE COLLECTION CAMEROON available daily for $2per or less, no need to settle for these.

BROCATUS TORPEDO (6.5" x 52) "BROCATUS is simply magnificent" or something like that in the C.I. catalog. Depend on how low you set you standards. I wouldn't pay a buck for this smoke again. Lacks filler with no notable appealing flavor. As my buds at Crap Cigars would say, a "real turd".

BLUE LABEL 'B2' DOUBLE TORO (6" x 60) I had higher hopes for this smoke since the regular Gran Habano BLUE LABEL line is a good, spicy smoke. Had this aging from the summer. Also lacks any real appealing flavor. A touch of any kind of sweetness would have made it smokeable. Not as bad as Brocatus though. Since the regular BLUE LABEL line can be gotten for $2per all the time at Cigar Bid, no need to smoke these under any circumstances.

FLOR de OLIVA LANCERO - 7" x 38 - this is not an unsmokable blend. This size is simply not good. The 50ring sizes are not bad at all. This size falls way short of the other sizes in flavor offering. A rare Lancero fail compared to the fatter ring sizes, who's flavor is mellowed out by more filler.

C.I. KNOCK-OFF LA GLORIA CUBANA CHURCHILL (7" x 50) this also is a smokeable blend. This Churchill is not a bad cigar either, but when compared to the 6.5"x42 Corona, their is not contest. The Corona ages much better, with way more defined, semi sweet, mildly spiced flavor. Again, this Churchill is not really bad, but if you plan to try this line, buy the Corona, let them sit naked for at least 4 weeks at 70%, and enjoy.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast