Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

.....nice, some new great looking maduro prospects for when I start bidding again in April. Can't wait to try the new to Cigar Bid,

PADILLA LA TERRAZA MADURO (and Habano) "The smoke is rich and dense, offering notes of leather, toasted wood and a touch of chocolate with some peppery-sweet tones on the finish. If you're looking for a solid, everyday handmade from Padilla with the added benefit of being extremely affordable....bid now".
    .....maybe if I call and beg they will stash away a 10 lot just for me. NOT!

.....and for the very first, or at least not since last February, they are offering up what is said to the best of the excellent CI LEGENDS SERIES lines, the NESTOR PLASENCIA MADURO (5.7"x54). "The Nestorís blend for the Legends Series easily ranks among the finest cigars to come out of any of his factories. The outer leaf is dark and oily, a Broadleaf maduro thatís chock full of flavor. Inside, a well-aged mixture of Cuban-seed Nicaraguan long-fillers awaits, ready to release a medium-bodied bouquet. The flavors are rich and deep, with toasty notes of wood and roasted coffee, with ample spice to complete each puff. Smooth down to the nub, the Legends by Nestor Plasencia is top-notch all around".
    .....we shall see if it is all that. Will be hard-pressed to top the awesome DON PEPIN GARCIA Legends blend, or even the Graycliff. Hopefully, by April, these won't be scarce once again.

.....and if you like VICTOR SINCLAIR cigars, the SERIE '55' OSCURO TORO, 6"x50, (blue label), after a good 6 months of naked aging, actually turn into a good smoke. Was only a 75 Rated smoke when I purchased last August, and dipped into my stash over the past 6 months up to last nights smoking. Now a good 80 Rated smoke, and worth a buy at less then $2per if you don't mind waiting. I do, so I won't be buying again. And Victor Sinclair is one of the best good, value line daily cigar makers. All his blends were high mild at best to me. And except for this medium SERIE 55 OSCURO, the only other blend I liked was the BOHEMIAN RED COROJO FIGURADO (6.5"x54). It is offered at Cigar Bid for $2per of less every night. If you enjoy high mild Connecticut wrapped cigars, the Bohemian Red Figurado is a perfect, high mild change of pace smoke.

Connecticut Puffer

Hey man, I picked up that 10pk of Padilla Miami oscuros like we discussed, I was able to light one up this after noon ROTT. It was good, but had major draw issues. I couldnt smoke the damn thing, it was like trying to suck concrete through a straw, it was probably over humidified from the warehouse. It was good from what I was able to get, but the other 9 are off to the freezer (which will also help them dry out) and I'll give these a few months to settle in the humi for the time being.

Thanks for your posts Rich!

I only wish I had Rich'es routines (or budget) for smoking.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

.....made a rare 'mini-run' to my local today, my first since last summer. Boy oh boy, has she given the place a face lift. Did something I would have done years ago had I owned her Smoker Friendly Cigar Express. That being to add some 'on-line' smokes that are as good as any 'mostly local only B&M brands'. Most were Rocky Patel and Gurkha. Close to 100 new blends according to her boast. I did make a few small great tasting scores. Finally decided to give one of the best Connecticut wrapped cigars I have every torched a 2nd smoking. Got an aged yellow cello,

MAXX CONNECTICUT 'CURVE' by Alec Bradley (7" x 60) Like the Perdomo Inmenso, a big fat Torpedo. She has had these sitting since 2009, with only 3 or 4 missing from the 20 box. The 6"x50 Toro I smoked in my Maxx sampler from Cigar Bid was excellent. This fat torpedo was as well. Crisp wood like flavor, creamy clouds of smoke, medium bodied with a perfect burn. It was $7.50 well spent and a 92 Rated cigar. I also got a 2 for one close-out deal on the,

HAMMER & SICKLE TORO (6" x 50). I was told these were a good smoke. I guess every smoker has their own standards as to what qualifies as "GOOD". High mild Connecticut wrapped cigars have always been the easiest for me to determine blend goodness. Unfortunately, like the Private Stock by Davidoff, and the La Princesa de Cuba I have smoked over the past month, this H&S Connecticut is another grassy-ass flavor based Connecticut. I was so disgusted I left a good 3 inches of my 6x50 unsmoked. Green grass flavor simply does not appeal to me. And if I would have paid the full $8.50per for this blend I would have been extremely PISSED as opposed to just disappointed. Could be the worst higher-priced cigar I have smoked and is Rated 69. One of the new budget lines she now offers is from the maker's of Cusano, the

ROLL BACK CONNECTICUT TORO (6" x 52). Much better then Hammer & Sickle. Perfect burn and draw with a mild, creamy, leather flavor base. While not my favorite mild flavor, I can enjoy these when with no effort. Rated 78, which the maduro toro still to smoke.

.....also scored a few quick smoke gems. She had a little basket of Camacho 5.5"x44's at $2.75per. Got the last few Camacho Corojo, Camacho Habano, and Camacho made La Fontana Vintage.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Rich,

It's hard to find a good Conneticut, indeed.

BTW, thanks for the Cuba Libre tip--I actually smoked one ROTT. THEY ARE MONEY. I can sense that they have EXCELLENT aging potential. I am going to try to stock up. They should be a very nice cigar by next summer. They remind me of a CT Serie Jalapa.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Keeper of the Cheaper snagstangl's Avatar

I've found Connecticuts that are decent to good if they Ecuadorian. But i dont prefer things wrapped in them. I suspect you two have palettes that are much more experienced and sensitive then mine.
    Why doesn't everyone think I'm as funny as I do, it must be them.

.....just a few words on some new lines I have smoked recently.

GRAYCLIFF AVELINO LARA 80th TORPEDO (6" x 52) If I paid $12.33 for this cigar I would be seriously P.O.'d!!! Dry, drab, boring cigar. No where near full flavor like the product details say. Give it a try if you like Habanos with no spice or sweetness, but for God sakes don't pay more then $2per. Rated 76.

ALEC BRADLEY PRENSADO ROBUSTO (5" x 50) Another over hyped dud. Unrefined, crisp, burnt Corojo flavor that could be a Padilla Miami knock-off. Not bad for 2 bucks. Rated 83

VIGILANTE COROJO TORPEDO (6.5" x 52) Almost as good as the Prensado. A decent, high medium flavored Corojo smoke that seems like it would smooth out with some humidor time. Again, not close to a Padilla Miami, but also not over-rated or over-priced. Good deal at $2per and Rated 79

ARGANESE CONNECTICUT TORPEDO (6.7" x 52) This one surprised me as much as the previous two disappointed. Crisp, creamy, woody tobacco flavor with a great draw and burn. As good as any ASHTON, RyJ, DIAMOND CROWN, DUNHIILL, or MONTE WHITE I have smoked and paid 7 to 10 times more for. Rated 80

OLIVEROS XL SUNGROWN ROBUSTO (5" x 50) Oliveros makes some great cigars. The XL line was awesome. I am not sure exactly how these tie in with that line. They are listed as "XL Sungrown" at CI, but only "Sungrown" at Cigar Bid. They are nothing like the XL or the new Oliveros Sungrown line. Still a good smoke on it's own. Only medium bodied though and Rated 84.

.....plan of smoking my 5x60 UZI tomorrow. Will report back with a few details.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay106n View Post
    Hey man, I picked up that 10pk of Padilla Miami oscuros like we discussed, I was able to light one up this after noon ROTT. It was good, but had major draw issues. I couldnt smoke the damn thing, it was like trying to suck concrete through a straw, it was probably over humidified from the warehouse. It was good from what I was able to get, but the other 9 are off to the freezer (which will also help them dry out) and I'll give these a few months to settle in the humi for the time being.
    .....I have smoked maybe 20 thus far with no real issues. I also let mine age naked for at least 4 weeks at 70% with maybe 100 other naked darkies. Letting one sit out in low humidity for 3 days to a week is not major obstacle. I do it with every maduro I torch, as some darkies, even after aging for months, are simply to oily.

.....a few more stogie notes,

MY UZI WEIGHS A TON by Drew Estates (5" x 60) Over hyped and way over priced. Never comes close to offering the excellent, semi-sweet, chocolaty flavor offering of the Pinar del Rio Reserva Limitada or Oscuro. Still, for 3 bucks it is a big, fat, herf stick that is worth a try. Rated 84.

GURKHA WIDOW MAKER CHURCHILL (7" x 52) with the Perdomo Champagne becoming scarce at Cigar Bid, I have been forced to search for a new Connecticut wrapped favorite. Thus far, the two leading candidate cigars in both price and high-mild flavor offering, are the Arganese Connecticut Torpedo (6.7" x 52) and the Mark Twain No.2 (7.5" x 52). Both taste great. Smooth, crisp, creamy, woody flavor base. I also enjoyed the Gurkha Beauty and Symphony very much. One cigar type Gurkha has never been short of is good Connecticut wrapped cigars. Add the Widow Maker to that list. Basically tastes like a rebanded Beauty or Symphony, which are both good 86 Rated cigars. So I will give the Widow Maker an 85 Rating.

.....Why a notch below? Because Kaizad Hansotia is a NUT JOB!! I mean how many cigar lines does one single maker need to put out??? Makes Padilla, Perdomo, and Don Pepin look like they are in semi-retirement. Over the past 6 months I have witnessed no less than 20 new lines offered up at C.I. and Cigar Bid alone. Not to mention the retailer exclusives he has at Famous Smoke and Thompson. Why is producing 20 new Cigar lines in 6 months so wacky? Because most of them taste almost exactly like each other or an older blend who's over-priced hype has died out.
    .....To pay $50 for a Gurkha Widow Maker is just care-free and flippant. Don't get me wrong, if you have the cash, and want the cigar, go ahead and pay 10 times more for a cigar that offers nothing more then at least a dozen other lines do priced at $3 to $5per. Smoking a magnificent looking, high priced, high-mild Connecticut wrapped cigar is awesome. Smokers do it every day with Diamond Crown, Davidoff, Dunhill, Ashton, Montecristo, or Macanudo. And keep in mind I am addressing high-mild Connecticut cigars only. Their basic flavor profile, when good, does variety to any MAJOR degree. A creamy Nutty, or Leathery, or Woody, or Buttery flavor offering is the realistic flavor base option for any on one blend (ha ha ha I said 'woody'). Nothing wrong with wanting to say "I smoke $15 high-mild cigars". Ego and Prestige play a part in everything we do in life, especially cigar smoking. Just be smart enough, and humble enough, to know that any veteran cigar smoker knows that aside from spending $15 on a cigar, you are get nothing more out of that cigar flavor wise then the countless number of $3per, high-mild cigar lines have to offer.

.....and to prove my point from my prior post, and in case you have not already noticed, here is a list of the recent Gurkha Cigar lines that have flooded C.I.'s Cigar list, and Cigar Bids auctions.

GURKHA ANCIENT RESERVE TORPEDO (6.5" x 52) 10 for $52.00 (regular price $104.50)
    .....Gurkha Ancient Reserve is a well aged Nicaraguan puro. Yes, a Nicaraguan puro. Then thereís the ancient part....these Nicaraguan tobaccos are superior in every way, including 12 years worth of aging. True? Maybe....and burning one will surely tell the full story. Ancient Reserve is a solid display of bold tobaccos mellowed by time, issuing a velvety-smooth and balanced medium-bodied bouquet with flavors that grow more intense throughout the burn. It all begins with a Nicaraguan Habano wrapper. A dark and oily leaf concealing an expertly blended recipe of Nicaraguan long-fillers grown throughout the countryís fertile valleys. Deep notes of oak and leather smack the palate while softer hints of cocoa bean and espresso linger after each puff. Tasty, and priced oh-so-right....while they last.

GURKHA ARCHIVE TORPEDO (6.5" x 52) 20 for $160.00 (regular price $188. WHAT, NO 300% DISCOUNT)
    .....Hereís to 20 years of success, and many more. Hats off and congratulations to K. Hansotia for 20 years of delectable handmades. Flourishing 20 years in the cigar business is no easy feat, as many great brands have risen to fame, only to witness their own demise shortly thereafter. Distinguishing Gurkha from the rest of the pack has been an undeniable attentiveness to innovation and quality. Introducing the Gurkha Archive, a tribute to many years of deserved success. The Archive took 2 full years and countless blending to finally master. This gorgeous milky-brown cigar comes draped in a silky smooth Connecticut wrapper. Bursting from its core awaits Nicaraguan and Dominican long-fillers accompanied by a genuine Cameroon binder. Expect an eventful, medium to full-bodied bouquet intertwined by notes of spice, coffee, sweet tobacco, and nuts finished by a toasty crescendo. Box-pressed and primed for the ultimate experience, the Archive exemplifies Gurkhaís rich cigar-making history. With only 1,000 boxes put into production, the reasonably priced Archive wonít be around for longÖ.

GURKHA ASSASSIN TORPEDO (6" x 52) 20 for $171.00 (regular price $190.00. Would 19 bucks make a difference?)
    .....Gurkha Assassin is full-flavored, full-bodied, and full of charisma. Thatís the Gurkha Assassin blend. It all begins with a deep, dark, extra-fermented Brazilian wrapper. This thick, oily leaf conceals a bold blend of aged long-fillers from Nicaraguan and Peru inside a Cuban-seed Dominican binder from the Cibao Valley. After extensive post-roll aging, each Assassin issues a rich core of satisfying flavors, including espresso bean, black tobacco, and hearty spices. The finish is long and refined, leaving behind a toasty, almost chewy nuances thatíll keep you coming back for more. Gurkha Assassin, powerful yet soothing.

GURKHA BLACK BEAUTY GRAN ROBUSTO (5.7" x 52) 10 for $69.95 (regular $250, HA HA HA HA HA)
    .....The Black Beauty is a darker, richer version of Gurkhaís mild-bodied work of art. Black Beauty employs the same rare blend of 5-year-old Nicaraguan long-fillers inside a vintage Cuban-seed Dominican binder from the Cibao Valley. However, this blockbuster recipe is then made complete with a dark, extra-fermented Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. Extensively aged, this thick, rich wrapper takes the Beautyís rich and creamy core to bold new heights. A rich, toasty smoke layered with deep roasted flavors, coffee bean, and a long, naturally sweet finish is what to expect. Satisfying, medium-bodied layers of smooth, sophisticated flavors with every last puff. Black Beauty is delicious, and here for a limited time only.

GURKHA BLACK DRAGON FURY TORPEDO (6.5" x 52) 10 for $59.95 (regular price $141.00)
    .....Dressed in a dark and oily Connecticut Broadleaf maduro wrapper, the Black Dragon Fury utilizes two flavorful binders - a spicy Nicaraguan Habano and a rich, sweet Cameroon. On the inside is a bold blend of Nicaraguan and Peruvian long-fillers. The result is a powerful, full-flavored smoke thatís layered with notes of espresso, cedar, pepper, earth and cocoa. Bold, no doubt. And as creator Kaizad Hansotia says, "Please be sitting down when you decide to take on the Fury!" (this was a good cigar)

GURKHA ELEGANCE (6.7" x 50) 20 for $282.00 (regular price 332.00)
    .....Selecting and blending rare tobaccos is a grueling process, a skill desired by many and perfected by few. A true master of such tobaccos is K. Hansotia of Gurkha Cigars. His appetite for crafting the most interesting cigars in the world is not easily satisfied, as he continually produces distinctive small-batch blends. Case in point: the Gurkha Elegance. Utilizing an extremely rare 7-year Connecticut wrapper, the Elegance is limited to a mere 800 boxes per year. Now thatís what I call boutique my friend. This near flawless wrapper houses a balanced core teeming with Dominican long-fillers and Connecticut binder. But donít judge this book by its cover, as this seemingly mild creation delivers a well-rounded medium-bodied bouquet of buttery smooth nuances, highlighted by a creamy finish. From time to time expect a dash of spice to enter the fray, perfectly accentuating the intoxicatingly smooth blend. Highly enjoyable and smooth down to the nub, the Elegance is an ultra-rare indulgence worth partaking in. (will end up at Cigar Bid after not selling for $3per)

GURKHA ESTATE SELECT VINTAGE SHAGGY TORPEDO (6.5" x 54) 10 for $52.50 (regular price $105)
    .....The Estate Selection Vintage is an exquisite handmade utilizing choice, vintage tobaccos from wrapper to filler. The wrapper is a rare 8-year-aged Dominican leaf teeming with flavor and covered with toothy goodness. The long-filler blend is all Dominican cultivated 5+ years ago, inside an equally aged Habano-seed Dominican binder. A truly vintage Dominican puro dishing out rich, creamy flavors from start to finish. Hints of wood mingle with toast, hearty spices, vanilla, and a peppery-sweetness on the finish. Each of these flavors grow more intense during the slow burn, coming to a full-flavored crescendo at the nub. (this was also a VERY GOOD cigar)

GURKHA FUERTE TORPEDO (6" x 52) 10 for $44.95 (regular price $105)
    .....Gurkha Fuerte is a rare treat from maker Kaizad Hansotia. The vintage Costa Rican Maduro leaf is enchanting, a prized Ď96 wrapper thatís dark, toothy and oily. The filler blend is composed of of Cuban-seed Nicaraguan and Honduran long-fillers. Together, these supremely aged, choice tobaccos marry into a luxurious bouquet of powerful yet balanced flavor. Rich, toasty hints of dark chocolate tease the palate, and a long and lingering aftertaste of sweet pepper coats the mouth. The cigarís strength grows in intensity as it burns, completing an eventful and satisfying cigar youíll want to savor again and again. (one of the worst cigars I have ever smoked)
    GURKHA GRAND AGE (7.5" x 54) 10 for $59.95 (regular price $114)
    With each new release under the Gurkha name, cigar aficionados worldwide have the luxury of enjoying a wonderful new smoking experience of the highest caliber. Gurkha cigars continue to push the envelope using ultra-rare tobaccos unattainable for most cigar makers, as Kaizad Hansotia (the maker of Gurkha) never spares any expense for his ultra-premium portfolio of blends. Enter the Grand Age. A beautiful handmade comprised of superior, vintage tobaccos. Hugging an elegant blend of extensively aged Nicaraguan and Peruvian tobaccos is a choice Cameroon leaf cultivated in 1996. Masterfully blended, this impressive cigar smacks the palate with its rich, earthy core supported by pleasant toasty undertones and a touch of sweet pepper. Silky to the touch and buttery smooth, the Grand Age is built specifically for the highest shelf of your humidor. (this came out last summer. Not bad for $3per)
    GURKHA HAVANA LEGEND TORPEDO (6" x 52) 10 for $29.99 (regular price $60.00)
    .....Gurkha Havana Legend is all about value. This complex, medium to full-bodied cigar is exotic, aromatic, and brings rich, hearty flavors in spades. Made with a Habano-seed wrapper grown in Nicaragua, this feisty creation combines Peruvian long-leaf ligeros inside a genuine Cameroon binder. An unconditional recipe, to say the least, but one that serves up a classic Havana flavor from start to finish. A deep, chewy core sets the stage for semi-sweet spices, nuts, and leather....made complete by a long, enjoyable finish with a pleasing twang thatís all too familiar. (a Gurkha priced at $3per?? O.M.G. on my 'to try' list)

GURKHA LEGEND VINTAGE 2001 TORPEDO (6.5" x 53) 10 for $75.00 (regular price $200)
    .....Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 is a savory morsel dressed in a dark, triple-fermented Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. This rich, chewy leaf cultivated in 2001 conceals a bold blend of extensively aged Cuban-seed long-fillers grown in the Dominicanís famed Cibao Valley. After extensive post-roll aging, each Gurkha Legend releases gobs of rich, satisfying flavors. A buttery-smooth bouquet sits heavy on the palate yielding a rich creaminess throughout; a creaminess complemented by notes of dark chocolate, leather, and black espresso bean. The finish is long and memorable, yielding peppery-sweet nuances after each puff. Medium to full in body and complex to the core, Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 is truly a work of cigar-making art. (this also was a very good smoke)
    GURKHA MONOGRAM TORPEDO (6" x 52) 10 for $29.99 (reg $60.00)
    .....Gurkha may be synonymous with high-end and prestigious....but you donít always have to pay top dollar to enjoy the quality cigars boasting the Gurkha name. Gurkha Monogram is a perfect example. This medium-bodied treat hails from the Dominican Republic and combines a classic combination of seamless Connecticut Ecuador wrappers with aged Dominican long-fillers inside a Cuban-seed Dominican binder. The smoke is mellow yet complex, issuing sweet tobacco notes, cedar, and a touch of hearty spices for good measure - just a touch, though. Smooth yet satisfying, Gurkha Monogram combines top-shelf quality with wallet-friendly pricing (on my 'to try' list. Rebanded Sherpa Cafe I bet, which was a good smoke)
    GURKHA NAUTILUS TOPEDO (6" x 52) 10 for $29.99 (reg $60)
    In his never-ending quest to take over the boutique cigar world, Kaizad Hansotia of Gurkha has created another modestly-priced handmade with superior quality and flavor. This blend is Nautilus, a medium-bodied treat made with aged Nicaraguan and Honduran long-fillers inside a dark Habano 2000 wrapper. Each smoke-filled puff releases thick, heavy clouds of smoke and dusts the palate with deep notes of earth and coffee. A zesty sweetness rests on the palate after each puff - a satisfying finish for a tasty, well-blended handmade from Gurkha.
    GURKHA ROYAL CHALLENGE TORPEDO (6.5" x 53) 20 for $120.00 (reg $140)
    .....The real challenge here is trying to resist this cigarís alluring charm. Donít get me wrong, itís not going to flatter you with compliments and ask for your phone number, but its savvy good looks will undoubtedly garner the attention of the room. Introducing the Royal Challenge, a rare and beautiful handmade from the boutique extraordinaire K. Hansotia of Gurkha. The Royal Challenge owes most of its devilishly good looks to a sultry Ecuadorian Connecticut shade wrapper. This silky smooth leaf conceals a Honduran Habano binder, and long-filler blend of Dominican and Nicaraguan tobaccos. The binder and wrapper are harmoniously paired providing an exceedingly flavorful, yet refined bouquet of nuts, leather, cedar, and milky smoothness, while the fillers provide an undeniable level of balance. Complex no doubt, the Royal Challenge provides tiers of flavors as the slow even burn provides cool billows of smoke. What else would you expect from an elusive Gurkha handmade? Do yourself a favor, and take the Royal Challenge. (awesome looking cigar)

oh, their are plenty more, PART II
    GURKHA SPECIAL OPS TORO (6" x 52) 10 for $39.95 (reg $100)
    You might not have seen them comin, but the Gurkha Special Ops have arrived. Special Ops is a name traditionally reserved for the nationís elite soldiers, the cream of the crop. Inspired by our nationís best, Gurkha set out to create a cigar equally elite. Wrapped in an silky and flawless, extensively aged Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper (itís quite stunning, mind you) each Special Ops is primed for optimal enjoyment. A complex core of Nicaraguan and Dominican long-fillers creates a medium-bodied bouquet . Earth and wood dominate, while a rich and chocolaty nuance lingers long on the toasty-sweet finish. From time to time youíll pick up some gentle notes of pepper, adding to yet another flavor to this complex beauty. (this was not bad either)
    GURKHA STATUS CONNECTICUT & MADURO TORPEDO (6.5" x 52) 10 for $74.95 (reg $200)
    .....Gurkha Status is an ultra-premium, mild to medium-bodied offering thatíll rival any top-shelf name you can imagine. A truly luxurious cigar, each Status lives up to its bold name thanks to top-notch aesthetics, delicious flavors, and unrivaled quality. Draped in a magnificent Connecticut shade wrapper, Status looks splendid and delivers a lovely bouquet to match. The underlying Dominican long-leaf core is bound with a heavily fermented Dominican binder, making the Status silky-smooth and buttery throughout. Accompanying the smooth, scrumptious subtleties of cream, cedar, and sweet tobacco is an easy draw and flawless burn. You owe it to yourself to grab a Status most expeditiously. Maduro fan? The Status is also available in an equally succulent maduro variety, dressed in a dark Connecticut Broadleaf. A slight uptick in strength is complemented by rich, sweet nuances throughout, completing the perfect, mellow maduro. (the Connecticut and maduro were both very good)
    GURKHA SIGNATURE 1887 (6" x 56) 48 for $348.95 (reg $40
    Only the highest quality, vintage tobaccos attainable are used to create these tasty treats....tobaccos most brands cannot employ due to sparse quantities and exceedingly high costs. But Gurkha never sacrifices quality for quantity, as evidenced by the brandís slew of choice, 90+ rated blends. Gurkha Signature 1887 is a elegant smoke, to say the least. Surprisingly mild in character, this beautiful handmade booms with bigtime flavor. Toasty, oaky nuances smack the palate from all fronts, leaving behind a dense, but silky aftertaste that lingers long on the finish. A wonderful cigar you could puff on all day long, one that always delivers and satisfies. Thatís Gurkha Signature 1887. (had already been sold at Thompson for a while)
    GURKHA TITAN II TORO (6" x 52) 10 for $89.95 (reg $215)
    .....Gurkha Titan is hands down one of the finest creations beneath the Gurkha umbrella, and ranks among the most in-demand. This big, meaty blend is top-notch all around. Due to demand, Kaizad extended the Titan line and created Titan II, an exclusive, small-batch production made with slightly more powerful tobaccos to cater to those seeking Titan to no avail. Made with a gorgeous Costa Rican maduro wrapper from 1996, each Titan II employs a bold blend of aged ligeros from Honduras, Colombia, and the Dominican - each leaf being aged for a minimum of 5 years prior to rolling. After rolling, each cigar undergoes an extensive, cedar-aging process to tame the long-leaf ligero blend slightly, creating an explosion of toasty, cedary flavors delivered in rich, balanced fashion. Medium to full in body with a flavor profile that builds throughout the burn, Gurkha Titan II is a delicious handmade of the highest order. (hope it is an improvement of the boring TITAN I)
    GURKHA VINTAGE SHAGGY NATURAL & MADURO TORO (6" x 50) 25 for $187 (reg $220)
    .....If you were guessing the Gurkha Shaggy got its name from its shaggy foot, then you are spot on. If you were thinking about Scooby-Doo....we might have a problem. The Gurkha Shaggy is a very distinctive cigar from the creative mind of K. Hansotia. Besides the noticeably exposed foot, the Shaggy utilizes a balanced recipe of vintage tobaccos. Bursting from within awaits 5-year old Dominican long-fillers and binder. Resting atop this aged core is an enticing chocolaty-brown 8-year old Dominican wrapper. Upon toasting the rugged foot, the binder and filler provide an insightful experience as to the taste of a cigar sans its wrapper. (Truly very unique if you have yet to experience it.) As the burn reaches the wrapper, warm smoke swarms the palate engulfing the senses as smooth notes of tobacco, oak, spice, and a hint of vanilla round out this medium-bodied treat. Not your normal Gurkha, heck Ė not your normal cigar, the Shaggy is a must try. (not to be confused with the ESTATE SELECT VINTAGE SHAGGY, oh well)
    GRUKHA GENGHIS KHAN (7.5" x 52) 30 for $239.95 (reg$374)
    .....Genghis Khan is yet another example of Gurkhaís expertise in uniqueness and craftsmanship. The Costa Rican maduro leaf used to complete this cigar is simply gorgeous. Aside from being one of the hardest leaves on the planet to harvest, let alone one of the most expensive, it delivers an assortment of rich, slightly sweet flavors and promotes a super-slow burn. The hearty blend of aged Dominican and Honduran tobaccos combine with rare leaves from India and Africa to create an array of smooth, earthy notes backed by subtle hints of pepper. A medium-bodied delight to be savored, courtesy of one of the finest brands in the business. íThe Khaní is an alluring, 7.5" x 52 Churchill size thatís masterfully blended and guarantees a satisfying and enjoyable smoking experience. Such a masterpiece can only be presented as such. Packaged in a gloriously attractive dome chest that Genghis Khan himself would be proud to own. A big, bulky antique style, humidor quality dome that will sufficiently store 30 nicely proportioned churchills, complete with a lift-out tray that reveals a lower compartment for additional cigar or accessory storage. Once again, the folks behind Gurkha have outdone themselves with this piece. (on my 'to try' list)
    GURKHA CELLAR RESERVE CHURCHILL (7" x 54) 20 for $214.95
    One of Gurkha's finest - 94 rated by Cigar Journal & #8 Cigar of the Year by Cigar Journal. When nothing less than the best will do, aficionados everywhere look to Gurkha. For years Gurkha has been the choice cigar among the most elite from business executives to Royalty. They have been commissioned by some of the biggest names to make the world's finest cigars from the best tobacco. With all of the impressive Gurkha blends out on the market, it's almost unbelievable that this is one of their highest rated blends. Wrapped in a gorgeous, dark Criollo '98 wrapper, this blend shows the age and care that earned it a 94 rating. The fillers are 15 year aged Dominican and balance out the blend. Expect notes of spice, earth, and espresso and one of the finest smoking experiences you can have. (heard some good words about this one)
    GURKHA SEDUCTION CHURCHILL (7" x 55) 20 for $145.00)
    .....K. Hansotia has been alluring cigar lovers for years with his rare and original blends packed inside boxes fit for a king. Although pricey, Gurkha seldom disappoints, as K. Hansotia strives to deliver unheard of experiences. The new Gurkha Seduction embodies that desire to a íT.í Sporting an oily and enticing Ecuadorian Habano wrapper, Seduction is aesthetically tantalizing. Under the hood is a Dominican Olor binder hugging a distinctive bouquet of Columbian Corojo long-fillers. This unique ensemble delivers an unforgettable medium-bodied experience. Unmistakable notes of cedar, spice, and coffee smack the palate as occasional notes of caramel sweetness enter the fray. Complex, and enjoyable to the nub, let go of your inhibitions, and give in to one of Gurkhaís most well-rounded offerings. (sounds great)
    GURKHA WIDOW MAKER CONNECTICUT & MADURO (7" x 52) 10 for $124.95 (reg $500)
    .....The medium to full-bodied Widow Maker is all substance. Available in two formats - Ecuador Connecticut and Connecticut Broadleaf - this ultra-premium is made entirely of extensively aged tobaccos. Rare, vintage tobaccos sorted countless times to obtain only the finest, highest quality leaves. Both varieties are bold and complex, offering soothing layers of robust, satisfying flavors delivered in a methodical, expertly balanced fashion only true vintage tobaccos can provide. Expectations will no doubt be high due to the price point....but a cigar of this caliber has the ability to meet, and also exceed, these expectations.
    Widow Maker Natural
    Wrapper: 10-year-aged Ecuador Connecticut
    Binder: 7-year-aged Dominican Habano
    Long-Filler: 7-year-aged Nicaraguan / 7-year-aged Honduran
    Experience: Exceedingly rich and creamy to the core with zesty spices, rich black tobacco, coffee, earth, and toast. The finish is long and luxurious with an elegant trace of toast and black pepper.
    Widow Maker Maduro
    Wrapper: 10-year-aged Connecticut Broadleaf
    Binder: 8-year-aged genuine Cameroon
    Long-Filler: 8-year-aged Dominican Habano
    Experience: Rich, rich, rich. Rich tobacco, rich espresso, rich cocoa bean, rich oak. Then thereís the sweet, peanut influence and touch of sweet-spices from the Cameroon wrapper, adding yet another layer of complexity. (I think this is telling me the maduro is now a MUST TRY, since they uss my name 7 times to describe this blend. Let them charge $500 for 10. I would gladly drop half of my monthly disbality payment on them!!!)
    .....thank CHRIST that is all. By summer I am sure their will be a few dozen more lines to sample

Rich,

I agree with you on those Connecticuts.

I scored a 5er of Arganese torpedos of devil--guess for how much? $1!! I will try them soon. I have a Diamond Crown maximus resting, but for some reason, I expect to be underwhelmed. Have you smoked Pepin's Vegas Cubanas? They are a good smoke.

Agree with you on the Oliveros....the King Havano's really turn into something special after a year and a half of rest. They are one of my "hush-hush" cigars, but I will let you know as well as the people reading this thread. That cigar stacks up well to some of the best I've smoked. Their eight-zeros are MONEY as well...easily worth WAY more than you'll pay, and really, really improve after a year in the humi. You will be HARD PRESSED to find cigars that are better constructed than the Oliveros.

I really don't know what to make of Gurkha.....my head is starting to hurt thinking about it....
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish rocketmann82's Avatar

Rich,
    Thanks for this thread, I have taken a lot of notes....

Also, rich, how long did you rest those Pinar Del Rio Limitadas?

They are probably going to until summer 2013, but I wanted to know if I can pop them sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    Rich,

I agree with you on those Connecticuts.

I scored a 5er of Arganese torpedos of devil--guess for how much? $1!! I will try them soon. I have a Diamond Crown maximus resting, but for some reason, I expect to be underwhelmed. Have you smoked Pepin's Vegas Cubanas? They are a good smoke.

Agree with you on the Oliveros....the King Havano really turn into something special after a year and a half of rest. They are one of my "hush-hush" cigars, but I will let you know as well as the people reading this thread. That cigar stacks up well to some of the best I've smoked. Their eight-zeros are MONEY as well...easily worth WAY more than you'll pay, and really, really improve after a year in the humi. You will be HARD PRESSED to find cigars that are better constructed than the Oliveros.

I really don't know what to make of Gurkha.....my head is starting to hurt thinking about it....

.....never had a Maximus. The regular Diamond Crown Robusto #3 (7.5x54) I smoked was a good. Got it for a half-off close out price of $7.50. NO better then an Arganese though in any way. Like you said, their price makes them all the much better. Since are a mild smoke, I would say 6 month tops if you keep the cello on. I store mine with both ends of the cello open, keeping the cello jacket covering the stick. Works great with aging as I have to smoke most of my stock within 6 months after they arrive.

.....and ya, the Vegas Cubanas 6x50 was an excellent. Pinched 10 for $2per in a one time singles sweep. Very lucky their. Also stole a 20 box of the 7x50 Oliveros Eight-Zero. Great flavor. The only Oliveros cigars that are not good at all, at least from the 3 of 4 sticks I have tried to smoke from each line are the Classic and Padrino Italiana. Classic has such a awful generic spice taste and that's about it. The Padrino Maduro is just bland and almost flavorless. The new Sungrown grown line is a Full Flavored gem. Had 40 delivered two days ago.

.....as for Gurkha, ha ha, I just say the make make the best filler cigars for $2per in between your better premiums. They have yet to produce a Padilla Miami or Signature 1932, or a Master Blends III or Serie 'V', or a Joya de Nic Dark Corojo or Antano 1970, meaning a cigar line that truly stands out as great. Every line they produce is good, but average. Except for that Fuerte. The first Gurkha I can say I smoked that is just bad. I do know that the Master's Select age like a gem. Smoked two of the 6x50 Toro and their flavor was awesome. After more then 2.5 years it better be.

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast