Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Originally Posted by BKDW Also, rich, how long did you rest those Pinar Del Rio Limitadas? They are probably going ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    Also, rich, how long did you rest those Pinar Del Rio Limitadas?

They are probably going to until summer 2013, but I wanted to know if I can pop them sooner.
    .....naked for about 4 weeks with other maduro's and then smoke. taste great to me. I could see them getting smoother and more refined over time. But as far as great chocolaty flavor goes, it is their now.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Thanks for the info.

Funny, I do like the Oliveros Classic. No they are not the greatest, but I think they are flavorful and make a good casual smoke. Then again, my stock is over a year and half old, so that might make the difference. They also seem to taste best being stored at high humidity. To me, the King Havano is their best one, by far. They take a while to come around, but once they do, they are straight up MONEY. I like the Claro wrapper. The 1927s eight zeros give you a nice Dominican taste, and I generally don't like Dominican tobacco. But again, they need a MINIMUM of 1 year rest time. Anything less will make you think it's not that good of a cigar. Again, their construction can't be beat.

I need to get my hands on the Sungrowns--i've been meaning to but I haven't. I at least want to pick some up in time for Summer 2013.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    .....naked for about 4 weeks with other maduro's and then smoke. taste great to me. I could see them getting smoother and more refined over time. But as far as great chocolaty flavor goes, it is their now.
    Screw it....I am popping one this afternoon. For whatever reason, I have been impatient this week.

I smoked a Vegas Cubanas ROTT, but it was good--I know there is aged baccy in it anyway and that it smokes best at a low humidity, so I gave it a try. I was impressed. There is much in common with a well rested (16 months) 5 Vegas Miami, but this one has more "pepin spice"...the Miami's are more crreamy and leathery and delicate.

I am trying to get my hands on some mild-medium sticks that are good....I am normally a hardcore maduro and full-bodied kind of guy, but I want to see what's on the other side.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Screw it....I am popping one this afternoon. For whatever reason, I have been impatient this week.

I smoked a Vegas Cubanas ROTT, but it was good--I know there is aged baccy in it anyway and that it smokes best at a low humidity, so I gave it a try. I was impressed. There is much in common with a well rested (16 months) 5 Vegas Miami, but this one has more "pepin spice"...the Miami's are more crreamy and leathery and delicate.

I am trying to get my hands on some mild-medium sticks that are good....I am normally a hardcore maduro and full-bodied kind of guy, but I want to see what's on the other side.
    .....you may want to try my daily favorite, the very smooth, medium Padilla Cazadores. They age very good as well. And you may also want to try this

PERDOMO INMENSO (6" x 56) I am smoking now. Tastes better then the Prensado. Smooth, medium Corojo flavor with perfect Perdomo construction. 10 for a $25 bid is a great bid buy at Cugar Bid. Rated 86

.....also smoked the PADILLA FUMAS SUMATRA TORO (6" x 50), or at least tried to earlier. Measured it against the ALBION SUMATRA CHURCHILL, which offers very good, low-medium flavor. For $1.40per, ALBION is an awesome buy and legit "Diamond in the Ruff". This Padilla Sumatra could not even come close. No flavor at all really. ZERO!! Pitched the scrap stick about half way through. Have 20 of the 6x52 Fumas Connecticut Torpedo coming next month. Will compare them with the good, $1.40per Arganese Connecticut Torpedo. If the Connecticut bombs I won't waste my time with the maduro. Padilla dogs, never thought I would be typing that. Rated 60, unsmokeable.

.....and I finally smoked a Felipe Gregorio cigar that was better then just average. The SERIE 1957 VICTORY (5" x 52) was a nice, medium Habano wrapped smoke. Box press sucked a bit as it was shaped like a flat 5x52 chocolate super wafer, but that aside I could enjoy these daily. Rated 85.

....My bud BKDW mentioned "Pepin spice" earlier. If a shat load of spice is your cup of tea, you need to try LA RELOBA SELECCION MEXICO by Don Pepin Garcia. Smoked the 6.2x52 Toro. To much spice for me that did not seem to blend well with the cigars good tobacco flavor. I would bet this kind of smoke does need to sit until the summer of 2013. Still a good smoke and worth a try, Rated 86.

....and my after dinner smoke was a very good one. The GURKHA '8-YEAR AGED' LEGEND BOX-PRESSED TORO (6" x 50). Had a nice rounded butt end on the box press that lead to an awesome draw. Great natural tobacco flavor. Had a dull maduro like nutty/buttery flavor combo that did not require a drink assist until half way through. I know I like a cigar when I can smoke most of it with a sip of my thick French Vanilla coffee mix. This cigar was a steal for $2. Would be nice if I can steal about 20 next month. Rated 88.

Thanks Rich.

I actually picked up the La Reloba this past Friday. I am going to play it safe and give it a good nap. Will try them this summer.

I had to smoke another Vegas Cubanas...those suckers are very good. I think I have found a good creamy, somewhat spicy true medium bodied smoke to add to my rotation. That smoke has a classic taste. This was just the cigar I was searching for. I love the 5 Vegas Miamis, but my oldest stash is only 4 months old and wont be ready till the Fall...The Vegas Cubanas are ready to roll ROTT. I now have a new medium bodied favorite.

I also smoked the PDR Limitada....it was SOLID, but my senses tell me that they will be even better with some good nap time.

I will most definitely follow up on the Albion.

.....I love 5 Vegas Miami as well. Only had two 5.5x55 in last months order. Will score more next month. Want to try the 4.5x44 Corona. Wish they made a Lancero. The 7.5x42 Padilla Miami Lancero is one of the best flavor bombs I have ever smoked.

....FYI-Stay away from ION Cigars. I warned you. I have tried to smoke the ION CAFE CUBANO TORO and, since I love cinnamon, the ION CAFE CINNAROMA TORO. Won't even rate them. While they are both smokeable, but I would have to seriously question the pallet that finds their bizarre flavors enjoyable.

.....now this 6x52 OLIVA SERIE 'O' MADURO TORPEDO is very nice. My first smoking of the maduro. Says it is a sungrown Nicaraguan habano wrapper. I would add a 20 lot these to my humidor if I could ever get them for $60 or less. According to my reliable Cigar Bid Auction tracker, that has happened only once in the last 2 years, and then only by 2 bucks. Will keep looking to snatch a $3 single here and their. Rated 86.
    Cbid Completed Auctions

.....and if you enjoy high-mild Connecticut wrapped cigars I would suggest you try MARK TWAIN. I would say it is the best out of the dozens of different high-mild Connecticut wrapped cigars I have smoked over the past year except for XEN by Nish Patel, and SAN CRISTOBAL ELEGANCIA. Very noticeable woody, borderline nutty, creamy flavor base. Since they are out of my favorite daily Conn, the Padilla Hybrid Torpedo, I will definitely score more of these next month. Rated 88.

.....also smoked a PIRATE'S GOLD BIG BOY TORO (6" x 52) Bland and flavorless. Has no bad after taste and was not bitter. Just could not find any notes of identifiable flavor. Will let the last 4 age mostly naked for a few months to see if anything develops. Rated 69 for now. One more cheapo to go, La Diferencia Cubana Torpedo and then I can enjoy some Reserva Limitada, Serie '68, Cazadores, and more Twains. These sub$2 cigars are worth the one time smoking effort. Would never have discovered ALBION(good cigar), ARGANESE CONNECTICUT(good cigar) or NICARAGUAN(smokeable cigar), GARO DOUBLE HABANO(smokeable cigar), CI KNOCK-OFF LA GLORIA CUBANA, COHIBA & MACANUDO, all good cigars.

.....a few blends I saw at my local that I would LOVE to try were Room 101 Connecticut by Camacho, C&C Connecticut & LRMD, Thunder by Nimish Desai, MC by Cusano, Macanudo Robust, Diamond Crown Maximus, Fonseca Cubano Limitado, Rocky Patel Renaissance, and La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiale. The biggest laugh I got from some of the outrageous prices was from an $8.00per price sticker on PUROS INDIOS SPECIAL-AGED PIRAMIDE (6.7"x64). Can be scored daily at Cigar Bid for $2per, and under no circunastace's is close to being an $8.00 cigar. Even at CI it sells for only $3per. WTF! ha ha ha ha

Those Oliva Os will completely change character if you rest them long enough (6 months+). Solid stick.

The Pirate Gold's will improve and become a good stick--nothing I would go out of my way for, but still a good stick.

When I say a cigar is "good", I mean a cigar that I would not really offer to an experienced smoker, but one that can help you pass the time casually and have a decent flavor. "Solid" sticks are my cutoffs to give an experienced smoker. In order: Dog Rocket, Average, Good, Solid, Very Good, Great.

The Special Aged PIs aren't worth the money, even at 2 bucks a pop...I have a couple left that are two years old. A couple I had tasted like a Fuente (I was shocked), but the rest were mediocre. There's no real quality control with those cigars.

Will try Mark Twain...I am still raving about that Vegas Cubanas. I am going to pop another one in a few minutes. I have to order more!!

Keeper of the Cheaper snagstangl's Avatar

Rah, was that a Pirates gold I sent you? I have to agree you need to age them out and they turn into a decent stick.
    Why doesn't everyone think I'm as funny as I do, it must be them.

Quote Originally Posted by snagstangl View Post
    Rah, was that a Pirates gold I sent you? I have to agree you need to age them out and they turn into a decent stick.
    ....no, it was from a 5 Pack I won for 7 bucks. Will let the other 4 rest for a while. Every stick you sent me was history within a month, maybe two after they arrived. Wait until you get a toke on those 40minute gems I sent you, the PADILLA MIAMI & SERIE '68 LANCERO. Awesome flavor.

.....and this OBSIDIAN 4.5"x44 mini corona has some nice flavor as well. Will try to score a 20 box of these next month.

.....Ten 5x56 Diesel Torpedo for $27.50 is a great deal if any is interested. They may sell out like the Diesel Corona did a week back before they day is done.
    http://www.cigar.com/DailyDeal/ccCigarDeals.asp

Those Oliva Os will completely change character if you rest them long enough (6 months+). Solid stick.

The Pirate Gold's will improve and become a good stick--nothing I would go out of my way for, but still a good stick.
    When I say a cigar is "good", I mean a cigar that I would not really offer to an experienced smoker, but one that can help you pass the time casually and have a decent flavor. "Solid" sticks are my cutoffs to give an experienced smoker. In order: Dog Rocket, Average, Good, Solid, Very Good, Great.
    The Special Aged PIs aren't worth the money, even at 2 bucks a pop...I have a couple left that are two years old. A couple I had tasted like a Fuente (I was shocked), but the rest were mediocre. There's no real quality control with those cigars.
    Will try Mark Twain...I am still raving about that Vegas Cubanas. I am going to pop another one in a few minutes. I have to order more!!
    .....I have to try and win a few of the Vegas Cubanas again. Have not had one since last summer.

.....and I do understand what you mean by a "good" cigar. Basically means you get out of it what you should. You can tell an inexperienced smoker when he chimes in and knocks a high-mild Connecticut smoke for lacking flavor and compares them to an Undercrown or Tempus the day before. Liking a cigars flavor is what really matters, not how much flavor it offers. I would NEVER compare a Perdomo Reserve Champagne to an Undercrown or AB Tempus. That would be stupid to put it mildly. I do judge a cigars flavor output when it comes to price though. That is why I will never buy a Connecticut Fuente or Ashton again when I can get the same level of good flavor from a Mark Twain or Arganese Connecticut. Same can't be said for habano or maduro's, where you expect more flavor. I consider myself lucky in a way that I do enjoy and smoke every type of cigar. And ya, like you always say, I know it would great if I could let the smokes I buy sit for 12 to 24 months in their cello and to age properly. Maybe some day.

I agree that flavor matters...why pay $12 for a cigar when you can find a $3 smoke that does the same thing?

Sure, you might have to wait a year or so of humi time for that to happen, but it's not about the here and now.

Yes, "good" cigars do what they are supposed to do, but no more than that....the better ones give you more than that.
    I keep "good" cigars around for occasions where people I know might want to smoke, but I really don't want to give them my top-notch stuff because I am afraid they won't be able to handle it. I also might want a casual smoke, hence the Oliveros Classicos. Give them another try--they will give you a nice sweet, toasty smoke. Don't smoke them on the dry side, though. They will not taste their best. Keep them on the wet side.

Well, off to smoke another Vegas Cubanas. I might pop the Arganese too.

Just finished smoking an Arganese Torpedo Connecticut.

Good call, Rich. You were spot on.

Do try to get your hands on the Vegas Cubanas....I did an experiment: I put one in the humidor at around 65 and left one out...the drier one smoked WAY BETTER. The wetter one was just a blob of pepper with its nuances masked.

It is a Pepin, afterall.

.....Padilla lovers dream sampler. The La Terraza Habano & Maduro, the 'new' Miami. the 'new' Signature 1932, plus the Artemis, Cazadores, and Dominus. All for $25!

Cigars International

......I can see why Gurkha named their new Connecticut, The Widow Maker'. I can see a smoker dropping dead after they smoke one, after paying $30per and get nothing more then a $2per Arganese or Mark twain Connecticut. So the Gurkha Widow Maker Churchill (7" x 52) is basically as good as any Gurkha Beauty, Park Avenue, Symphony, Sherpa Cafe, Ashton, Diamond Crown, Dunhill, Rocky Patel Conn, Oliva Conn Reserve, Perdomo Reserve, 5 Vegas Gold, AVO, AVO 787, La Perla Habana Cobre, Man O War Virtue, Macanudo, Excalibur, Graycliff G2, Cusano, Montecristo, Cu-Avana, Arganese Conn, Mark Twain, or CI KNOCK-OFF Macanudo, which I might add was a very good smoke. Whichever you can get for 2 bucks should satisfy your high-mild Connecticut craving. Rated 84.

.....and I LOVE Tatuajes AMBOS MUNDOS HABANO TORO (6" x 50). Great habano flavor. Cigar burns a little fast but the flavor is great. Definitely worth a try. Rated 90

.....also smoked a 5 VEGAS CASK-STRENGTH FIRKIN (6" x 60) earlier. Smooth, full flavored Corojo goodness. I take this Cask-Strength or a Padilla Miami over a Prensado any day of the week. Rated 92.

Funny....the Ambos Mundos never really appealed to me, even with prolonged rest. But a lot of people like those sticks. Would have given you the rest I had, but I gave them away a couple months ago.

Just smoked the PDR Reserva Limitada...it was sweet, but not much else going on. Still a good smoke, but I would imagine they'll have more to offer next year after I rest them (I hope.)

We appreciate your "high-mild Connecticut report"...you have saved people a lot of money here, that's for sure. Thanks for taking one for the team. I really have not been a fan of Connecticuts, and for the life of me, I still can't understand why people out there would pay $20 for a Davidoff or these other brands that just don't have the substance to back them up. I am not insulting Davidoff, but please $20????

Check your mailbox within the next few weeks, Rich.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast