Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Quite an interesting thread.......

Full grown Puffer Fish Blowin' Smoke's Avatar

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

Quite an interesting thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Blowin' Smoke View Post
    Quite an interesting thread....
    ....thanks, I am hoping more puffers chime in from time to time and give some details about their own new cigar smoking routines. What catches their eye about a cigar....it's maker, wrapper, band, size, etc. How often they try new cigar lines. And most importantly, what new cigar lines they have tried that ended up being a good smoke. Nothing makes me happier then opening my monthly cigar order, or trade box, and unpacking 10 to 15 new cigar lines to smoke each month.

.....and since I am on a very limited S.S.D. budget every month, it let's me know what smokes are a good fall back option in case my usual favorites are scarce at Cigar Bid. And based on what I spend per stick, which is mostly between $2 to $3per, I have come to see that most cigar lines offered their are failed $4 to $8per smokes. Failed means poor selling, not poor tasting. Like this awesome tasting KINKY FREDMAN LONE-STAR No.6 (6x64) I am smoking now. This cigars wrapper, flavor, and construction all scream $8per at a B&M. 20 for a $49.50 Quickbuy is amazing. But my best score over the past 6 months still remains the 25 box of the 7.5"x42 Padilla Miami Lancero's I won for 67 bucks! Runner up is the 20 box of the 7"x38 Padilla Serie '68 Lancero's for $40.00.

.....no two better concentrated flavor options around. I have found the Lancero is most often the best tasting size of a cigar line. As everyone knows, most of a cigars flavor comes from it's wrapper. While a cigars filler may not be bad, it still serves to 'water-down' the flavor offering of that cigar lines wrapper in more cases then not. Of course their are cigars lines I have smoked where the flavor seems consistent in ever size. The Padilla Cazadores being one. The Serie '68 being another. But the 7.2x57 Miami Salomon does not offer nearly as much smooth Corojo flavor as the Lancero. And of course their are cigars lines I have smoked where the flavor output is opposite to that trend. When the larger size tastes better then the thinner sticks. Padron was like that for me. The five 6.5"x54 #4000 I smoked a few months back tasted much better then the five 6.9"x42 Ambassador's I smoked a month or so later. I will eventually get around to buying five of the Padron 5x50's to see if meeting the sizes in the middle works.

.....have maybe 10 to 12 new cigar lines to smoke later this week in a return trade box from my bud Andrew (Snagstangl). Can't wait!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Smoking a Diamond Crown as we speak.....

My suspicions were correct. I should have traded this and gotten something better.

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid smoke, but I really don't see where the $20 price tag comes in.

I have to get my hands on some more Vegas Cubanas!!!

BTW, I am ordering some of those Twains.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post

My suspicions were correct. I should have traded this and gotten something better.

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid smoke, but I really don't see where the $20 price tag comes in.

FYI

their are two 20 boxes in the Quickies auction right now with about two hours left. Both are at $13. Worth a last minute $16 to maybe $28 last minute win try.
    since they started opening quickies up throughout the day instead, of all at once. dozens are only posted for auction for maybe 8 to 12 hours. Little posting time means less chances to drive up the winning bid amount needed.

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    FYI

their are two 20 boxes in the Quickies auction right now with about two hours left. Both are at $13. Worth a last minute $16 to maybe $28 last minute win try.
    since they started opening quickies up throughout the day instead, of all at once. dozens are only posted for auction for maybe 8 to 12 hours. Little posting time means less chances to drive up the winning bid amount needed.
    WOW, I just checked that $13per not 15 minutes ago. Their are less then 480 Cigar auctions closing tonight. Will be a bad night for bidding. Up to $25 in a flash. Should still close under $40, maybe. They have the perfect smoking monsters 8x54 as a 5 for $10.50 Quickbuy still.

.....as for the Diamond Crown. Ya, as good as any smooth smoking daily Connecticut cigar. The only thing that sets them apart from Arganese Connecticut or Mark Twain if the price tag.

.....smoked a PERDOMO LOT 23 CONNECTICUT GORDITO (4.5" x 60) earlier today, Rated 86. As usual, a great Connecticut smoke from Perdomo. This was my first smoking of the Connecticut line. The regular LOT 23 line was a good smoke as well, just not my cup of tea. And this 4.5x60 was much better then any Oliva Nub I have smoked. The ten 4x64 Nub Torpedos I smoked over the summer lacked even any high mild wood, nut, buttery flavor. Very disappointing.

.....also smoked another MACANUDO TORPEDO (6" x 52)(CI KNOCK-OFF) last night. Amazing a $2per Connecticut knock-off could hold it's own in every way with it's $6 and $7per front-line. Of the 3 CI knock-offs I have smoked (also smoked La Gloria Cubana and Cohiba), which were all good, this Macanudo was the best as far as tasting exactly like the line it is supposed to imitate. Still need to try the Partagas and JR ALT MONTECRISTO NO.2 DR Torpedo (6x52).

.....HE BID'S, HE SCORES!!!! 25 Padilla Cazadores 6"x60 Toro Gordos for $43!!!! Don't get no better!

.....a few other fine victories in my Cigar Bid mini-run,

5 GURKHA LEGEND VINTAGE 2001 DOUBLE ROTHCHILD (6.5" x 5 for $11 (excellent cigar)
    5 PADILLA HYBRID CHURCHILL (7" x 4 for $5 (very good smoke)
    5 PINAR del RIO 2007 CLASICO CHURCHILL (7" x 50) for $4 (very good smoke)
    5 GURKHA ANCIENT RESERVE GRAN ROTHCHILD (6" x 55) for $10 (new)
    5 GURKHA ARCHIVE TORO (6" x 52) for $10 (new)
    5 GURKHA HAVANA LEGEND TORPEDO (6" x 52) for $7 (new)
    5 GURKHA MONOGRAM CHURCHILL (7" x 52) for $9 (new)

and I am done. 4 new Gurkha lines to sample next week and 25 of my daily favorite to enjoy. Can't wait.

.....WOW, we know Diamond Crown is a top-shelf quality Connecticut wrapped cigar, but you need to try the VERDADERO ORGANIC TORPEDO (6" x 52). Solid as a rock, perfect burn, and a decent draw that could be improved with a 24-48hour dry boxing. Smooth, crisp, very creamy, high-mild woody, maybe a hint of nuts and butter at times. A steal for $2. If compared to other 90+ mild Connecticut cigars like Ashton, Macanudo, Fuente, or AVO, it would earn a 90 Rating easy. I will give it a more realistic 86 Rating so not to embarrass the above mentioned brands to much.

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post

.....5 for $18.50 ain't that bad. Snatch up all three 5 packs!!
    Don Pepin Garcia Vegas Cubanas Generosos - CigarBid.com

.....here is an excellent review site. Smokers like myself, scoring deals at Cigar Auctions or from specials. They smoke several from each line they review providing all the basic details needed to tell if the line is worth a sampling. Seem to like everything I have liked from what I have read thus far.

Cigars Compared - Low Cost Hand Made Cigars - Comparing Qualities of Various Smokes

.....5 for $18.50 ain't that bad. Snatch up all three 5 packs!!
    Don Pepin Garcia Vegas Cubanas Generosos - CigarBid.com
    I'm ON IT Rich. Thanks so much.

I am still really upset about that Diamond Crown.....I really should have traded that. Such a non-descript smoke. The flavor just wasn't there. You know what it reminded me of: Flor de Cano (Honduran), but milder. Have you had that cigar, Rich?

I can't understand why people shell out that much money for these sticks. Oh well.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

.....WOW, we know Diamond Crown is a top-shelf quality Connecticut wrapped cigar, but you need to try the VERDADERO ORGANIC TORPEDO (6" x 52). Solid as a rock, perfect burn, and a decent draw that could be improved with a 24-48hour dry boxing. Smooth, crisp, very creamy, high-mild woody, maybe a hint of nuts and butter at times. A steal for $2. If compared to other 90+ mild Connecticut cigars like Ashton, Macanudo, Fuente, or AVO, it would earn a 90 Rating easy. I will give it a more realistic 86 Rating so not to embarrass the above mentioned brands to much.
    LOL.....but I have been meaning to pick up those Verdaderos for a while. I will try to place another bid in soon.

.....NICE, got a SURPRISE cigar bombing from a local BOTL here at Puff, 'vrocco'. Very nice lot with a few of my old favorites like,
    Gurkha Cuban Legacy Churchill-nice medium, semi sweet maduro flavor I am enjoying right now.
    Gurkha Park Avenue Churchill-another good Connecticut option.
    Gurkha Blue Steele Torpedo-had once a while ago. Don't recall much beyond the decent 80 Rating
    Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto-will add to the two I have resting in my box for a panned 6 months.

very nice, thank you Vito!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jurgenph's Avatar

but you need to try the VERDADERO ORGANIC TORPEDO (6" x 52). Solid as a rock, perfect burn, and a decent draw that could be improved with a 24-48hour dry boxing. Smooth, crisp, very creamy, high-mild woody, maybe a hint of nuts and butter at times. A steal for $2. If compared to other 90+ mild Connecticut cigars like Ashton, Macanudo, Fuente, or AVO, it would earn a 90 Rating easy. I will give it a more realistic 86 Rating so not to embarrass the above mentioned brands to much.
    i sampled two of those out of a five pack that i got a few months ago.
    they do have something special about them. i should grab another one this weekend

J.

.....would take an OLIVEROS SUNGROWN over Patel, Fuente, PDR, & Perdomo any day of the week. Love the bold, full flavor. And they age great. Rated 88. Luckily, I pinched 20 of the 7x48's for $43 last month.

.....smoked my last SAINT LUIS REY SERIE 'G' BELICOSO (6.5" x 54). Very good cigar. Still like the regular Saint Luis Rey line better. The real treat will come when I finally smoke my last to Serie 'G' Maduro Belicoso. Smoked one out of the cello and it was good. But I could tell with some humidor time it could develop into something special. Still have 3 months to go for my 6 month naked aging limit.

.....loved the Fonseca Serie 'F' Robusto (5"x52). However, this FONSECA VINTAGE ROBUSTO (5"x50) lacks in basic flavor despite boasting a "Shade grown Connecticut wrapper". While not bad, it is just a bit bland. Still smokes perfectly like all Fonsecas I have enjoyed with an awesome draw. Rated 75.

.....also have 15 of the FONSECA NO.1 'Over-runs' (7.5"x50) coming later this month. Could not find a Fonseca cigar in that size anywhere. Could be any one of a dozen lines coming out of the Quesada factory.

I have been a huge fan of Oliveros for some time now. Don't really know what they don't get respect--have you tried their 1927 Anniversary? Rock solid and good. Yes, they all must rest, but when they are ready, you will get your money's worth--for sure.

I need to get my hands on the Sungrown. Their reputation seems to be spreading as these sticks are commanding way more money then I am accustomed to off devil.

Those Saint Luis Rey G's are very good and another one that does not get the respect it deserves, although I do think the regular line has some consistency issues and construction issues. I used to smoke the regular line a lot, and too many times I encountered a stick that was not rolled properly. Flavorwise, they vary from size to size--to be expected, but some of the differences were STARK--as if they were a different cigar brand. And you are correct, they need humi time.

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast