Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; .....I love Alec Bradley '90' Rated 2nds. The Tempus is one of the best tasting cigars I have ever smoked. ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

.....I love Alec Bradley '90' Rated 2nds. The Tempus is one of the best tasting cigars I have ever smoked. It's 5.5x55 2nd is just as awesome as the front line of course. I did some size matching from the Cigar Aficionado 90 Rated Alec Bradley cigar lines to help narrow down EXACLTY what blends they could be. And of course you already know Famous Smoke Shop sells all the MAXX 2nds under the 'Supervisor Selection' brand. And no '2nds' sizes match the awesome 92 Rated VICE PRESS. I still may have missed a 90 Rated line or two. Maybe a exclusiv line or house blend that does not have the Alec Bradley label leading the lines name that could have easily received a 90+ Rating. The ALEC BRADLEY 'NEW YORK' sold at Best Cigar Prices is one example. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Petite Corona (4" x 44)
    ???

Corona (5.5" x 42)
    TEMPUS~SELECT CABINET RESERVE

Corona Gorda (5.6" x 46)
    PRENSADO

Robusto-50 (5" x 50)
    PRENSADO~TEMPUS~TEMPUS MADURO~SELECT CABINET RESERVE

Robusto-Extra (5.5" x 50)
    FAMILY BLEND

Robusto-52 (5" x 52)
    ???

Quadrum (5.5" x 55)
    TEMPUS~TEMPUS MADURO

Toro (6" x 52)
    TEMPUS~TEMPUS MADURO

Toro-Extra (6.5" x 52)
    TEMPUS~TEMPUS MADURO

Toro-54 (6" x 54)
    PRENSADO~FAMILY BLEND~NEW YORK

Torpedo (6.1" x 52)
    PRENSADO~TEMPUS~TEMPUS MADURO~SELECT CABINET RESERVE~FAMILY BLEND~NEW YORK

Churchill (7" x 50)
    FAMILY BLEND~NEW YORK

Gordo (6" x 60)
    FAMILY BLEND

...come on fellas. I, and many others, have already posted the Cigar Bid Completed Auction Tracker many times. Bookmark the bitch and use it to bid wisely!!

Cbid Completed Auctions

...dam do I want this sampler. Will win won for sure in maybe 3 weeks. I think it could be the best 25 cigar collection at Cigar Bid. $2per is borderline ridiculous.
    Plumpin' Premiums III Mega-Sampler - 25 Cigars - CigarBid.com

5 - Punch Uppercut Toro (6.6" x 54) already smoked Punch, Gran Puro, and Rare Corojo. Sure this is good as well.
    5 - Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 Double Rothschild (6.5" x 5 excellent cigar.
    5 - Padilla Black Bear (6" x 60) great maduro flavor.
    5 - CAO Italia Ciao (5" x 56) Another 90 Rated CAO.
    5 - Graycliff Turbo Edicion Limitada Super Toro (6" x 60) more great flavor.

.....CAMACHO TRIPLE MADURO is an excellent cigar. Could detail at least 3 different hints of flavor, my favorite being Chocolate, which comes through boldly about half way through. Word on warning though, like so many other blends, the flavor out-put on the fatter sizes is watered down by the more mellow filler. The flavor in these 6"x60's, that I have enjoyed since last July, is not as good as the awesome flavor I got from the 4.5x50 I also smoked last summer. That one could have been the best tasting maduro cigar I have yet smoked. I know I have not smoked one like it since.

....if you have never sampled one of Padilla's best, now is your chance. 25 Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto (5" x 50) for $79.95. Cheaper then Cigar Bid prices.

Lowest Price Online- Padilla Signature 1932 Box BlowOut - Cigar.com

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Surprisingly, I haven't had the Camacho Triple Maduro yet.

I am smoking a Fonseca Arana right now.... it's a little bitter, but I will attribute that to it not having enough rest on it.

It has some good pleasant qualities about it: a little caramel, a little spice, a little leather.... I think when it fully matures, I can become a solid mild/medium smoke.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    Surprisingly, I haven't had the Camacho Triple Maduro yet.

I am smoking a Fonseca Arana right now.... it's a little bitter, but I will attribute that to it not having enough rest on it.

It has some good pleasant qualities about it: a little caramel, a little spice, a little leather.... I think when it fully matures, I can become a solid mild/medium smoke.
    ....I would send you one, but I am down to my last two from a box split purchase that my cuz stored on his credit card last summer. At $8per at Cigar Bid, I probably won't be getting more any time soon.

.....and that is a great idea. Will score 10 to 20 of the Arana, and let them rest naked in their own 20 box at 70% for 12 months and see what happens.

.....smoking my last GURKHA WIDOW MAKER CONNECTICUT CHURCHILL. An excellent Connecticut wrapped cigar.
    .....been enjoying the smokes my trade bud Snagstangl sent me a few days back. A few of the blends he sent that I enjoyed very much were,

FAMOUS NICARAGUAN 6000 ROBUSTO - these really mellow out with some age. Like them fresh or aged.
    FINAL BLEND ROBUSTO by Rocky Patel - After the good Vudu, and the excellent Cuban Blend, this Final Blend is a third Famous Smoke Shop maduro winner.
    MAROMA FUERTE CHURCHILL - very smooth, mildly spice smoke. Reminded me a Fonseca Serie 'F'.
    FAMOUS BUENOS MADURITOS CORONA - great tasting maduro quickie
    LA AURORA PRINCIPES - another great tasting quickie.
    LA FLORIDITA LIMITED EDITION MAGNUM - great flavor. Amazing the price is around $3per.
    FAMOUS VSL HONDURAS ROBUSTO - another good tasting house blend.
    FAMOUS PRIVATE SELECTION NIGARAGUA ROBUSTO - loved this smoke. One of the best if the lot. Again, great buy for $3per.
    EVELIO NO.1 - very smooth, good tasting high mild option. Of the 3 sizes I smoked, the odd looking 7x54 Pyramid tasted the best.
    INDIAN TABAC LIMITED RESERVE BEAR - Another great tasting, high mild Connecticut option.
    and of course the MAN O WAR VIRTUE CHURCHILL, ARTURO FUENTE ANEJO #77 SHARK, PADILLA ARTEMIS TORO, & ROCKY PATEL DECADE TORPEDO were all excellent smokes. This combo offered as good a variety of great flavor as any.

.....have a mini 80 cigar order arrivng tomorrow from Cigar Bid with a nice variety of new blends to sample like the new

PADILLA LA TERRAZA HABANO TORO (6" x 52)
    PADILLA LA TERRAZA MADURO ROBUSTO (5" x 50)
    GURKHA MONOGRAM CHURCHILL (7" x 52)
    GURKHA ARCHIVE CHURCHILL (7.2" x 50)
    GURKHA ANCIENT RESERVE GRAN ROTHCHILD (6" x 54)
    GURKHA LEGEND VINTAGE 2001 ANNIVERSARIO PERFECTO (6" x 60)
    GURKHA HAVANA LEGEND TORPEDO (6" x 52)
    GRAN HABANO 3 SLS GRAN ROBUSTO (6" x 54) (have only smoked one aged Churchill. Never torched one fresh)
    PINAR del RIO 2007 CLASICO CHURCHILL (7" x 50) (have only smoked from the current batch, never from the 2007 batch rolled years ago)

.....and I am counting the days, probably until late next week, when my cuz sends the PINAR del RIO 1878 CUBANA & DOMINICANA 8 TORO SAMPLER, two each from the following lines.

PDR 1878 CUBANO ESPECIAL MADURO (6" x 52)
    PDR 1878 CUBANO ESPECIAL CONNECTICUT (6" x 52)
    PDR 1878 RESERVA DOMINICANA OSCURO (6" x 52)
    PDR 1878 RESERVA DOMINICANA HABANO (6" x 52)

.....will be hard pressed to find a better maduro then the PDR OSCURO or RESERVA LIMITADA.

I have been stocking up on the PDR limitadas and oscuros....

Don't see how I can lose with them, especially at a buck a stick. I am going to just buy a bunch and let them rest till next year.

I already scored 20 of both of them off devil. They smoke well now ROTT, but I would imagine they'll be better next year. BTW Rich, have you tried the sungrowns? I had a couple with 7-8 months rest...they were straight MONEY.

I'm also picking up more of those Fonseca's....as I said before, I think they will make an excellent "casual" smoke--nothing too serious, but something satisfying. Can't go wriong at a buck a pop either.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

I have been stocking up on the PDR limitadas and oscuros....

Don't see how I can lose with them, especially at a buck a stick. I am going to just buy a bunch and let them rest till next year.

I already scored 20 of both of them off devil. They smoke well now ROTT, but I would imagine they'll be better next year. BTW Rich, have you tried the sungrowns? I had a couple with 7-8 months rest...they were straight MONEY.

I'm also picking up more of those Fonseca's....as I said before, I think they will make an excellent "casual" smoke--nothing too serious, but something satisfying. Can't go wriong at a buck a pop either.
    ....that is one of my missions starting March 28th. Score 20 to 30 of each (OSCURO & RESERVA LIMITADA). Would add the KINKY FRIEDMAN BIG RICHARD to them if they offer enough. The 3 best maduro smokes I have had over the past year. The 2010 SELECCION also ages very well. I scored at least a half dozen of the 12 cigar 6.5"x52 Torpedo Sampler's for $19 and $22 over the summer. The only PDR line I did not care for was the 2007 LIMITADA. It was not bad, just very average compared to the other darkies they make.

.....as far as SUNGROWNS go, OLIVEROS SUNGROWN is all I want. Could smoke them daily. Best Sungrown I have yet smoked.

.....smoking my very last KINKY FRIEDMAN KINKSTER'S CHURCHILL (7" x 50). A fine Connecticut wrapped cigar. This one is the last of my 3 bundles I have gone through since the summer. Got the SOLID seal of approval after I did the back to back taste test with the ASHTON 6x50 Monarch Tubos. Torched the KINKSTER'S CHURCHILL directly afterward and did not miss a flavor beat. What can you say when a $10 cigar tastes exactly the same as a $1.50 cigar? Since they were both good, nothing.

Thanks for the tips on the PDRs.

I will try to stock up as much as possible. When I smoked one, I could tell that it has lots of aging potential. Next summer when I start smoking them, I don't want to regret not buying more of them when I had the chance, only to wait another year to enjoy them. My goal is to buy at least 30-40 of those sticks--I already have 20 now.

Hell, what is there to lose on a buck a stick?

BTW, do you have any opinions on the other sticks they make? Sungrowns, etc?

Thanks Rich.

Thanks for the tips on the PDRs.

I will try to stock up as much as possible. When I smoked one, I could tell that it has lots of aging potential. Next summer when I start smoking them, I don't want to regret not buying more of them when I had the chance, only to wait another year to enjoy them. My goal is to buy at least 30-40 of those sticks--I already have 20 now.
    .....the PDR Sungrowns are good. Just reaches medium in flavor though. Smoked one with maybe 7 months on it in January and it was VERY SMOOTH.
    .....also love the CLASICO. Crisp, creamy woody flavor base. Have a 5 Pack of the 2007 batch coming tomorrow. That should be enough aging time.

.....and if you are ever planning to invest in a box of LA CUNA HABANA BIN No.85's be sure to buy this 7.1"x58 Salomon size I am enjoying right now. Great dark brown, semi-sweet habano flavor. All the other sizes are Connecticut wrapped and lack in flavor. They did become smokeable after nearly 6 months of naked aging, to long for a straight-up $2per cigar.

[/QUOTE]

.....this CAIN DAYTONA CORONA (6" x 46) has aged very nicely. Has been resting naked for 6 months in my 25 count, ASHTON Top-Shelf premium box, that is sadly near empty, holding only two Tatuaje El Triunfador 5x48, and one Camacho Corojo 5.5x44. This Cain 'F' is still very smooth, but now has more tangy flavor then directly out of the cello. Rated 91.

.....counting down 5 hours until the Padilla La Terraza Habano Torpedo & the Maduro Robusto arrive. Read some good reviews on both. At $2.50per they are a primary target at Cigar Bid.

.....also will be my second smoking of the excellent GURKHA LEGEND VINTAGE 2001 GRAN ROTHCHILD, 6.5" x 58. This one, along with the ESTATE SELECT VINTAGE SHAGGY could be the two best Gurkha cigars I have smoked. Both are legit 90+ Rated smokes. The Empire Series I to VI are great tasting smokes as well, along with the Centurian, Legend '8-Year Aged, Master's Select Habano & Maduro, Status Connecticut & Maduro, and Triple Ligero. Still waiting for Gurkha to come up with a full flavored bomb like JOYA de NICARAGUA DARK COROJO or ANTANO 1970, PADILLA SIGANTURE 1932, MIAMI, or SERIE '68, MAN O WAR RUINATION, OLIVA SERIE 'V' or MASTERS BLEND III, or a 5 VEGAS CASK-STRENGTH. The Gurkha Archive, Ancient Reserve, and Havana Legend I have arriving today all LOOK/SOUND promising. Also heard/read great reviews on the Gurkha Elegance, Cellar Reserve, and Seduction. The later two finally were finally listed on Cigars International Big Brand List for a few days, then mysteriously were pulled.

.....smoked my first PADILLA LA TERRAZA HABANO TORPEDO (6.2" x 52). Another very good blend by Padilla. Reminded me of my daily favorite, the Cazadores, with a spicier Habano wrapper. Rated 87. When the price hype at Cigar Bid dies down I will snatch a box up.

.....also enjoyed my first GRUKHA MONOGRAM CHURCHILL (7" x 52). An excellent, high mild Connecticut option. Smooth, woody flavor, with a slight hint of butter. Will add this to the list $2per score list anytime they are their for the taking, Rated 85.

.....also smoked the GURKHA ANCIENT RESERVE ROTHCHILD EXTRA (6" x 55) Another great smoke from Gurkha. Although the product description does not the details of the cigar I enjoyed. It tasted like a medium bodied Connecticut wrapped cigar. This is the smoothest and lightest Habano wrapper I have ever seen. Tons of thick smoke. Perfect burn. Creamy smooth that reminded me a lot of some of the best Connecticut wrapped cigars I have smoked like the Perdomo Exhibicion and ESV 2002. Rated 88 and definitely worth a try.

.....and the last 'new' gem I smoked today was the Gurkha 20th Anniversary cigar, the GURKHA ARCHIVE BOX-PRESSED TORO (6" x 50). Reminded me some of a CLASS REGENT without the load of spice. Not exactly chocolate flavor. More like a dull, medium cocoa, coffee combo that was very tasty. Rated 86, and like the Ancient Reserve, worth a try.

Finally was able to get my hands on the Oliveros Sungrowns torpedos.

They smell good, and they don't appear to be 'raw'--perhaps maybe they used aged tobacco? I did not get that ammonia "I'm too young to smoke" smell. It smells like it can be popped now.

I am pretty sure they are good--I have been a fan of Oliveros for a while now. I haven't had anything from them that I considered to be bad (after rest, though). I'll also take your word for it: you have been spot on with your opinions anyway.

I also scored a bundle of 20 robustos under 20 dollars. Love those "buck chucks!!"

I shouldn't be disappointed.

Finally was able to get my hands on the Oliveros Sungrowns torpedos.

They smell good, and they don't appear to be 'raw'--perhaps maybe they used aged tobacco? I did not get that ammonia "I'm too young to smoke" smell. It smells like it can be popped now.
    I am pretty sure they are good--I have been a fan of Oliveros for a while now. I haven't had anything from them that I considered to be bad (after rest, though). I'll also take your word for it: you have been spot on with your opinions anyway.
    I also scored a bundle of 20 robustos under 20 dollars. Love those "buck chucks!!"
    I shouldn't be disappointed.

.....since they are relatively new, I have yet to smoke one that has rested beyond a month. Since I have 22 on hand now that may happen. All that means is I love them fresh. Awesome, crisp, burnt sungrown tobacco flavor. Makes the PDR Sungrown seem like a REAL MILD SMOKE. They are not a really a cheapo, going for $6per at CI, and are mostly back-ordered their I might add. Would I be disappointed if I paid $6per for one? Not at all. Hope you try one soon. Oh, and the only two Oliveros cigars I did not care for were the CLASSIC, which just tasted like 'cheap' cigar, and the EL PADRINO MADURO. Was just a bad cigar. No real appealing flavor. Other then those two, the 14 other OLIVEROS blends I have smoked have been winners.

.....and I can say, like LA HERENCIA CUBANA, 5 VEGAS CLASSIC, & PUEBLO DOMINICANO, the GRAN HABANO 3 SLS ages great. Up to now, I have only smoked 3, all with a year or more age on them. Of course they were all great. So is this 6x54 Gran Robusto I got in yesterday. Love this smooth, creamy, mildly spiced tobacco flavor. Smoking this one fresh tells me this cigars spices need resting time to come out, as the 3 aged jobs I smoked were much spicier. I will be grabbing a box of these, or the Churchills for a $42.50 Quickbuy steal! Rated 88.

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast