Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ....a heads up on some awesome deals at Cigar Bid right. Dam if any of these will reappear when I ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

....a heads up on some awesome deals at Cigar Bid right. Dam if any of these will reappear when I can bid on the 28th.

MARK TWAIN NO.3 (8" x 54) -Rated 88 - 20 for $33.64 on FREE FALL- My favorite daily Connecticut (replaced by Arganese when scarce). Creamy smooth, high mild flavor that smokes perfect every time. Would take these over an ASHTON, RyJ, FUENTE, or DIAMOND CROWN any day of the week, and I don't mean just because of the price. Fact is it is a better tasting cigar.
    Mark Twain No. 3 - Box of 20 - CigarBid.com

LA PERLA HABANA BLACK PEARL BELICOSO (6.2 x 52) (Rated 85) 20 for $37.50 on FREE FALL - Smooth, medium maduro flavor. A perfect option when you want a break from fuller flavored gems like the PDR Reserva Limitada, PDR Oscuro, or K.F. Big Richard.
    La Perla Habana Black Pearl Belicoso - Box of 20 - CigarBid.com

DIESEL UNHOLY COCKTAIL (5" x 56) (Rated 89) 10 for $26.50 on FREE FALL - Don't need to offer details about these of the Diesel Unlimited as they are two of the best tasting cigars made.
    Diesel Unholy Cocktail (torpedo) - 10 Cigars - CigarBid.com

5 VEGAS CASK-STRENGTH FIRKIN (6" x 60) (Rated 91) 10 for $27.50 on FREE FALL - My favorite Corojo wrapped cigar. Smoother and bolder then the Miami or the Prensado.
    5 Vegas Cask-Strength 6x60 Firkin - 10 Cigars - CigarBid.com

CAO DREAM TEAM SAMPLER - 10 for $29.50, maybe lower. - Have yet to smoke a CAO cigar that was not VERY GOOD. The BRAZILIA, ITALIA, and 'VR' are all legit 90+ Rated cigars. The CAO BLACK and Mx2 are not far behind.
    CAO Dream Team Sampler - 10 Cigars - CigarBid.com

HORN O' PLENTY SAMPLER - 20 for $39.55, maybe lower. Smoked through this sampler a few months back. If you enjoy aged, mellowed, yellow cello'd cigars this is your sampler. First 20 lot I have every purchased in that antique condition. In fact, I just happen to be smoking my last well aged 5 Vegas Relic Perfecto right now which prompted me to post this one. Great 88 rated cigar.
    Horn O' Plenty Super-Premium Sampler - 20 Cigars - CigarBid.com

CUBAO NO.5 by Don Pepin Garcia (6.1" x 50) (Rated 92) 5 for $19.07 - A steal at under $4per. One of, if not these best Don Pepin Garcia blend I have smoked. A sumatra-oscuro wrapper with Cuban-seed long filler that smokes as smooth as silk feels. Says medium, but I would label it full, well refined flavor. The maduro version is awesome as well.
    Cubao No. 5 - 5 Cigars - CigarBid.com

....I wonder if these are smokeable.
    Avocado Limited Reserve Auctions - CigarBid.com

.....I know their is a mouth out their for every cigar made. I accept any flavor profile that provides "ACTUAL" smoking enjoyment. The only thing I fail to understand is with will DOZENS of GOOD tasting blends offered at Cigar Bid for $2per or less, why any regular cigar smoker would settle for less.

.....I mean you have 5 VEGAS CLASSIC, GOLD, SERIE 'A', RELIC, & MIAMI, ARGANESE CONNECTICUT, any CI-KNOCK-OFF, all CI LEGENDS SERIES, CU-AVANA, CUBA LIBRE ONE, DOUBLE HAPPINESS 10x48 or 5x48, EL MEJOR EMERALD, EVELIO, any GRAN HABANO, any KINKY FRIEDMAN, LA HERENCIA CUBANA, any LA PERLA HABANA, NICA LIBRE, any OLIVEROS, PADILLA CAZADORES, ACHILLES, HABANO, & MADURO, PERDOMO CUBAN BULLET CUBAN, CONNECTICUT & MADURO, PERDOMO INMENSO, SLOW-AGED & RESERVE GOLF, any PINAR del RIO, ROCKY PATEL R4, CONNECTICUT, & CARGO, any REPOSADO '96, SAN MIGUEL, SIGNATURE SELECTION CAMEROON, & SOSA VINTAGE, ALL solid tasting blends that would would be priced at $4per, most for more, at any local B&M, that can be gotten at Cigar Bid for $2per, often less, ALL THE TIME. Why settle for a cheaper quality cigar that offers a lack of good flavor, or is just OK. Unless your budget calls for $1per spending it CANNOT BE JUSTIFIED!!! Have a good weekend!

.....the one thing I cannot dispute with you boys is the FACT that aging improving 99% of the cigars we smoke. Some like ASHTON and ROMEO y JULIETA Connecticut's simply don't have it in their mix to get any better, and don't, at least not after 3 years of resting in their own cello jacket.

.....resting naked since last September has done wonders for these PADILLA HYBRID MADURO GORDOS (5" x 56). Fresh out of the cello they are a good, sweet, medium smoke. But after resting naked for a good 5 months has really brought out the MADURO flavor. Notched up a whole level of good. Now Rated 85.

.....also smoked a GURKHA LEGEND VINTAGE 2001 DOUBLE ROTHCHILD, 6.5" x 58, earlier. These do need some naked aging humidor time. This one, just 3 days out of the cello, was not nearly as good as the 91 Rated smoking session I had with the one I let rest for 3 months. Still not bad, but the remaining 4 have been put to sleep until June.

Puffer Fish with many spikes jeepman_su's Avatar

Its great to see a few people from PA on here. I live in State College, but my girlfriend recently took at job in pittsburgh so I am down here quite often. I am in the same phase as you....I have been smoking cigars for about a year but it has only been the last 4-5 months that I have really gotten into it and started trying as much as I possibly could. I have not been to the Puff n Stuff in southside yet, but my girlfriend did pick me up a few sticks from S&S Candy and Cigar in southside and I went to Leaf and Bean in the strip district yesterday. I enjoyed leaf and bean, the owner was very friendly and advised me on a few cigars. The humidor was fairly good sized and prices were not too bad for a b&m. I will have to give puff n stuff a try next time I am down.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman_su View Post
    Its great to see a few people from PA on here. I live in State College, but my girlfriend recently took at job in pittsburgh so I am down here quite often. I am in the same phase as you....I have been smoking cigars for about a year but it has only been the last 4-5 months that I have really gotten into it and started trying as much as I possibly could. I have not been to the Puff n Stuff in southside yet, but my girlfriend did pick me up a few sticks from S&S Candy and Cigar in southside and I went to Leaf and Bean in the strip district yesterday. I enjoyed leaf and bean, the owner was very friendly and advised me on a few cigars. The humidor was fairly good sized and prices were not too bad for a b&m. I will have to give puff n stuff a try next time I am down.
    .....as far as cigars go, Puff n Stuff and Blooms, both on the South Side, have the most to offer at a good price. Used to visit both regularly when I was out and about. And if they don't have it, and you can't find it on line, I would bet one of the two can get it for you, especially Blooms. I went to the Monaca Branch Campus and visited State College maybe a half dozen times. Was only 23 and 24 then and was not into smoking yet. You should be dam close to both C.I. and Famous Smoke Shop. Not sure if Famous has a B&M set-up though, but CI has two mega stores.

.....If you are looking for a very good tasting, 1HR+ hurf, the 7.5"x54 GURKHA GRAND AGE is one fine 91 Rated cigar. Great, burnt, crisp medium, leathery tobacco flavor with a perfect draw. 5 of the beaut's for $11 was another STEAL!!! Tastes like a milder version of the BOLIVAR COFRADIA SUNTUOSO, one of the best cigars I have ever smoked. Will be stocking up on these after the 28th for sure.

.....am I the only one who thinks THOSH.0 on Comedy Central is hilarious? I hope not.

.....and if you like MAN O WAR or MOW RUINATION, you will enjoy the GRAYCLIFF TURBO EDICION LIMITADA TORO (6" x 50). Tastes like a combined blend of the two AJ Fernandez flavor bombs. The Turbo Limitada is a full flavored, dark, thick, Habano wrapped gem that is very smooth, Rated 90, and worth a sampling.

.....has anyone every tried Jesus Fuego's ROYAL NICARAGUAN Oscuro or Sumatra? New lines being offered at Cigar Bid. Bundles only thus far. 20 sell for about $35, a price which has it teetering on the edge with ? marks.

.....also finally figured out what brand my 15 cigar Bundle of the 7.5"x50 FONSECA NO.1. It has to be LEON JIMENES Connecticut No.1. Made in the same factory, and the only Fonseca factory made cigar I found listed as No.1 and 7.5x50. Is Rated 91. Just another good smoking, high mild Connecticut. No complaints here.

.....I am on a Mini-Corojo binge. Started out last night night around 9pm with an 85 Rated PERDOMO INMENSO (6.5" x 56), very smooth, medium Corojo goodness. About 1am, I torched one of my three, 88 Rated ALEC BRADLAY PRENSADO ROBUSTOS (5" x 50). Is it REALLY the 2011 Best Cigar of the Year? Hard to say. If I were to judge that way I would have to smoke the BEST of 2011 over the course of a week so all their great flavor was fresh in my mind. Right now I am enjoying a 92 Rated PADILLA MIAMI LANCERO (7.5" x 42), a awesome, concentrated Corojo masterpiece. The Padilla Double-Corona like Lanceros, including the Signature 1932(7.5"x42), 1948(7"x3, and the next Corojo gem I have liked up, the 90 Rated SERIE '68, 7"x38, are some of the best tasting cigars I have ever smoked. And to cap of my Corojo flavored trip, my very favorite. What I think is the smoothest, most refined tasting Corojo wrapped cigar made, the 6x60, 94 Rated 5 VEGAS CASK-STRENGTH FIRKIN. The 6"x52 Toro is just as good. I would guess a LOT of smokers would never like to admit one of the BEST cigars they smoke is made by 5 VEGAS, owned by Cigars International. No biggie. I may burn one of my decent tasting cheapo Corojo's, a 6"x52 VIGILANTE TORPEDO if I am not all Corojo'd out.

.....a few very good Corojo wrapped cigars that I have enjoyed that are worth mentioning are the,

GRAN HABANO VINTAGE 2002 CHURCHILL (7" x 50)
    GRAN HABANO BLEND #5 ROBUSTO (5" x 50)
    A. TURRENT PURO COROJO ROBUSTO (4.5" x 54)
    ROCKY PATEL R4 DOUBLE CORONA (7.5" x 52)
    PERDOMO HABANO COROJO TORO (5.5" x 54)
    PUNCH RARE COROJO MAGNUM (5.1" x 54)
    EL MEJOR EMERALD CHURCHILL (7" x 50)
    CAMACHO COROJO TORO (6" x 50)
    CAMACHO COROJO 10th ANN. ENICION LIMIDATA 11/18 (6.1" x 54)

.....dam, their are so many good Corojo wrapped cigars I left out a few, like the awesome 5 Vegas Miami 5.5x55 I smoked last month, and on of my daily favorites, the sweet tasting Perdomo Inmenso 6.5x56, and another good one was the 7.2x49 San Cristobal Montumento I smoked last December. Not one of my favorites, but still a very good cigar.

.....and on my "STILL TO SAMPLE" Corojo wrapped cigar list are C & C COROJO, DON TOMAS COROJO, LA AURORA COROJO, J. FUEGO ORIGEN, G.A.R by George Rico, ALEC BRADLEY TRILOGY, and DON PEPIN GARCIA SERIE JJ.
    Last edited by rah0785; 03-16-2012 at 11:12 AM.

.....after airing out naked for only weeks 3 with 50 of my other Corojo gems, this 6x52 VIGILANTE TORPEDO has gotten a lot smoother. Nice medium Corojo flavor. Like a Prensado or Padilla Miami knock-off. For $1.50per it can't be beat. Gets Rated 79. Meaning it is an excellent cheapo to smoke in between your better premiums.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Very good stuff.

I have not heard too many good things about the Patel R4...I found it to be non-descript, myself.
    Let me know about the J. fuego when you get to it. He seems to be a quite gifted blender. I love those Capoeiras. I still feel bad about not acting on them when they were 35 for a bundle. Now they are nearly triple the price, and still worth it, IMO. Have you ever tried them?

I would have to agree about the 5 Vegas--those Miami's are now staples for me. Unfortunately, I have to wait until my batch gets enough rest. I am just going to continue to get them off devil until I get at least a two year supply.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Just finished smoking an Oliveros Sungrown (torpedo)....

This one has a lot of promise....can't wait to try these suckers with a year of rest on them.

Even young, this one is pretty solid. Those wrappers are GORGEOUS!! The ash was nice and white. It has the typical Oliveros good construction.

Good flavors--has that pleasant sungrown burnt taste you talked about. A bundle of 20 is coming to me this week... these should make stellar smokes next year. This is probably going to be the second best Oliveros I've had (after the King Havano).
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    Just finished smoking an Oliveros Sungrown (torpedo)....

This one has a lot of promise....can't wait to try these suckers with a year of rest on them.

Even young, this one is pretty solid. Those wrappers are GORGEOUS!! The ash was nice and white. It has the typical Oliveros good construction.

Good flavors--has that pleasant sungrown burnt taste you talked about. A bundle of 20 is coming to me this week... these should make stellar smokes next year. This is probably going to be the second best Oliveros I've had (after the King Havano).

.....I agree. Some humidor time should bring about a nice, very smooth medium smoke. As far as flavor goes, it is a legit $7per cigar at a local B&M. The Cigarbid price is almost ridiculous. Have had twenty 7x48 Churchills resting naked for about a month. I "PLAN" to let my rest for at least a few more months if all goes well. You have to try the DARK KNIGHT. Talk about a good smoke improving with age. The two I burned a few months back that had been resting naked in the big maduro box since June were simply awesome.

.....so right now I have maybe 35 bids out on 295 cigars right now. If I get lucky, I should end up with at least 200 to help bring my inventory back up near 500. Then, after that, let the aging begin. Have solid bids in on a few 'new' blends, at least to my mouth, like the.....

Fonseca Cubano Limitado Toro (6" x 50) like every other Fonseca I have smoked, should be at least a 'good' smoke.
    Gurkha Nautilus Toro (5.5" x 52) the last 5 new Gurkha blends I have smoked have all been great. With such a lame name this is a BIG '?' mark.
    Garo Vintage Salomon - 7.1" x 58 - since the Garo Double Habano value line is a decent smoke, expect these to be a cut above.
    Fonseca Arana Robusto (5" x 52) smoked one 6x60 last summer. Don't recall much. The suggested plan is to let these age as long as possible.
    La Aurora Corojo Robusto (5" x 50) expect this to be better then the Cameroon.
    G.A.R. Robusto by Gran Habano (5" x 50) high hopes for this Corojo after reading some good reviews.
    Gurkha Empire Series VI Torpedo (6" x 52) Empire Series I to V were all great smokes. Don't expect anything less from this new size from VI.
    C.I. Legends Series Nestor Placencia Toro (5.7" x 54) same with these. Except for Puros Indios, which just lacked in flavor period, ALL the CI Legends Series lines have been very good to excellent cigars. Word of mouth says this N.P. maduro is great as well.
    Felipe Gregorio Fusion Churchill (7" x 50) after liking the Felipe Gregorio Serie 1957, I expect this Habano to be something similar. If it is as good as this 7x50 La Gloria Cubana CI Knock-off I am enjoying right now I will be very happy.
    SWAG Limitada Infamous (6.5" x 54) got a great 90+ Rated review from Cigar Aficionado.
    Cibao Robusto (5" x 50) have no idea what to expect.
    Perdomo Cuban Bullet Maduro Torpedo (5.7" x 54) should be very good like the Cuban & Connecticut blends.

.....and since the Sumatra was so lame, I won't even bother going into the twenty 6x52 Padilla Fumas Connecticut Torpedos I have coming. If the Sumatra is like smoking 'paper', don't see how each of the Connecticut's won't be a waste of 15 seconds of lighter fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    .....I agree. Some humidor time should bring about a nice, very smooth medium smoke. As far as flavor goes, it is a legit $7per cigar at a local B&M. The Cigarbid price is almost ridiculous. Have had twenty 7x48 Churchills resting naked for about a month. I "PLAN" to let my rest for at least a few more months if all goes well. You have to try the DARK KNIGHT. Talk about a good smoke improving with age. The two I burned a few months back that had been resting naked in the big maduro box since June were simply awesome.
    You mean the "black knight" right? For a second I thought you were talking about the Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight lol. That one I haven't had. I bet it's yum yum though. Yup...the devil's prices on those sticks are crazy good....got a bundle of sungrowns for 19 bucks....At a buck a stick, can you go wrong? Do yourself a favor and get the King havano Claro (torpedo or churchill) and give it a good long nap (year or two). They definitely hold their own against some of the better smokes I've had. They make some underrated cigars, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    You mean the "black knight" right? For a second I thought you were talking about the Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight lol. That one I haven't had. I bet it's yum yum though. Yup...the devil's prices on those sticks are crazy good....got a bundle of sungrowns for 19 bucks....At a buck a stick, can you go wrong? Do yourself a favor and get the King havano Claro (torpedo or churchill) and give it a good long nap (year or two). They definitely hold their own against some of the better smokes I've had. They make some underrated cigars, don't they?
    ....HA HA HA, who watched Batman a few weeks back with their nephew. However, if you have not had the Excalibur Dark Knight it is one awesome smoke. And Oliveros make a boat lode of great under the radar cigars. The Black Knight could be the best, especially after 6 months of naked aging. You can sample the Dark Knight if you want to score this awesome Corn-Fed Baker's Dozen Sampler next time it is offered at Cigar Bid for a Max Bid of maybe $28.00. Get a Perdomo Champagne, one of the BEST Connecticut wrapped cigars I have EVER smoked. One of my all time favorites, Partagas Black. The smooth as silk Punch Gran Puro & Gran Habano 3 SLS. Not a weak stick in the bunch.

CI's Corn-Fed Baker's Dozen - Cigars International

.....Smoking my last 85 Rated, 7"x52 Gurkha Monogram Churchills. Very nice. Also down to my last 91 Rated 7.5"x54 Gurkha Grand Age, and 90 Rated, 6x55 Gurkha Ancient Reserve Large Rothchild. Very sad. Still have near dozen of the great tasting, 88 Rated Gurkha Archive Churchills and the 90 Rated, 6.5"x58 Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 Gran Rothchild. The latter four all have some of the best tasting natural tobacco flavor I have smoked. And I am also on the verge of winning ten 5.5"x52 Gurkha Nautilus Toros. Pray that my winning bid price, like the others, does not reflect the quality of this cigar.

.....as far a good Habano cigars go, AVE MARIA is one of the best being made today. Smoking the 5.5"x45 Clermont right now. The 7x48 Barbarosa is my favorite of all the sizes. Similar to La Gloria Cubana, only less bold spice, and smoother, more refined medium flavor. Gets a well deserved 91 Rating.

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast