Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Originally Posted by rah0785 .....as far a good Habano cigars go, AVE MARIA is one of the best being made ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    .....as far a good Habano cigars go, AVE MARIA is one of the best being made today. Smoking the 5.5"x45 Clermont right now. The 7x48 Barbarosa is my favorite of all the sizes. Similar to La Gloria Cubana, only less bold spice, and smoother, more refined medium flavor. Gets a well deserved 91 Rating.
    Thanks for the tip.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    Thanks for the tip.
    ....no problem. That is the idea behind this thread. What cigars are smokeable, and to what degree the are enjoyable, how well the taste out of the cello, and then after 11 months of naked aging. That is what I am smoking right now. Basically the "oldest" stick in my inventory. An 89 Rated, medium, semi-sweet, caramelized Sumatra wrapped 5 VEGAS CLASSIC CHURCHILL (7"x52). These age great.

.....and I probably had my BEST bidding run in a while last night. Scored 155 cigars for $220.00. Just what I needed to get my inventory back up near 500. A few I won were,

45 ARGANESE CONNECTICUT TORPEDO & CHURCHILL for $42.00 - love the crisp, creamy woody flavor it offers. have enough on hand to let them air out properly.
    20 MARK TWIAN NO.3 (8" x 54) for $34.00 - would take these over Ashton, Macanudo, or Diamond Crown any time. Still trying to win 20 more.
    20 RESERVA MAXIMA VINTAGE 2003 MADURO CORONA LARGA (6.5" x 46) for $32.00. Never had the Maduro. The Natural is an excellent, high mild smoke.
    10 GURKHA NAUTILUS TORO (5.5" x 52) for $10.00 - the product description reads just like the Master's Select. That would be great.
    9 PADILLA CAZADORES TORO (6" x 50) for $9.00 - when you can get your favorite daily smoke for a buck you know you had a god night.
    8 FONSECA ARANA ROBUSTO (5" x 52) for $8.00 - these will rest for a while.
    5 CU-AVANA MADURO CHURCHILLS for $8.50 - my bud at the CBid forum says if you let these already aged maduros air out for a few months the taste great. We shall see.

and a few great tasting $2per singles...
    3 GARO VINTAGE SALOMON (7.1" x 57) $3per actually. New line to sample.
    5 GURKHA LEGEND '8-YEAR AGED' TORO (6" x 50) love these. Great natural tobacco flavor.
    5 - 5 VGEAS CASK-STRENGTH TORO (6" x 52) the smoothest smoking Corojo wrapped cigar I have yet smoked.
    5 PADILLA CAZADORES ROBUSTO
    2 PINAR del RIO RESERVA LIMITADA ROBUSTO (5" x 52) one of the BEST maduros I have smoked
    2 LA HERENCIA CUBANA OSCURO FUERTE ROBUSTO (5.5" x 54) It has been a while. Recall these were very good as well.
    1 MORRO CASTLE TORO (6" x 52) love the smooth, medium dark brown habano flavor.
    1 PADILLA SERIE '68 BACK BEAR (6" x 60) again, one of the best maduros I have smoked
    1 KINKY FRIEDMAN BIG RICHARD (6.5" x 54) sadly becoming scarce. Another maduro gem.
    and 1 5 VEGAS MIAMI KNUCKLE (4.5" x 60), another Don Pepin Garcia success.

.....this ALEC BRADLEY BLACK MARKET CHURCHILL (7"x50) that I have had resting naked in my big maduro box for almost 4 months is one awesome tasting cigar. The draw is powerful with thick clouds of smoke. The flavor is full, tangy, and smooth. Unfortunately they are no longer offered at Cigar Bid, and all sizes except for this magnificent 7"x50 Churchill are Back-Ordered at C.I. Would I be disappointed if I had paid $6.81 for this cigar at C.I.? Not in the least. Even the $7.65 MSRP would be a great buy. The 4 bucks I got it for was a steal! Should be Rated 92, and joins the the 95 Rated, 5"x64 ALEC BRADLEY VICE-PRESS and the 5.5"x55 TEMPUS QUADRUM as the best tasting Alec Bradley cigar I have ever smoked.

.....you can sample this excellent cigar, along with the Best of the Show new releases in 2011 in this 14 for $49.95 sampler at Cigar.com. Pueblo Dominicano and the Undercrown are very similar, and great tasting cigars. Read a ton of good reviews on the new La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiale, and I would bet the maduro NUB DUB, ROCKY PATEL VINTAGE CAMEROON, and CAP OSHA SOL ain't bad either. I do this every month. Wish I had not blown all my loot at Cigar Bid, and now I can't score any of these good priced smokes offered elsewhere.
    Samplers

Keeper of the Cheaper snagstangl's Avatar

why is it every time you say "resting naked" I giggle to my self. I guess that describes me for 6 to 8 hours a night. Can you post your padilla cazadores link to the lot you won? I want to check it out?
    Why doesn't everyone think I'm as funny as I do, it must be them.

Quote Originally Posted by snagstangl View Post
    why is it every time you say "resting naked" I giggle to my self. I guess that describes me for 6 to 8 hours a night. Can you post your padilla cazadores link to the lot you won? I want to check it out?
    ....."RESTING NAKED". Now that the humor is out of the way, here ya go. DS from Coraopolis, Pa. As you know, my primary Cigar Bid account is on hold until I purchase my back order from February. Since MAMA lives in the front house, I will have these sent to here for the time being. The Fonseca Arana is also a decent smoke especially for a buck. I am sure the Gurkha Nautilus will be smokeable as well. Worth a try at $1per.
    Padilla Cazadores Toro (Single) (#1226376) - CigarBid.com
    Fonseca Arana Robusto (Single) (#1226337) - CigarBid.com
    Gurkha Nautilus Toro (10) (#1229073) - CigarBid.com

.....smoking my second GURKHA LEGEND VINTAGE 2001 GRAN ROTHCHILD - 6.5" x 58. The first was no 90 Rated fluke. This is one fine tasting cigar. The tobacco flavor Gurkha has blended in these new lines like the Ancient Reserve, Archive, and Grand Age sets them apart from most past Gurkha's I have smoked except maybe the Master's Select. All got a well deserved 90+ Rating from Cigar Aficionado and myself. Give them a try. You won't regret it.

.....also smoked a 5"x54 SWAG LAVISH earlier today. Similar to, but not as good as the KINKY FRIEDMAN LONE-STAR. Still offered some great, 87 Rated Habano flavor. This one had been been aging naked in my Aston box for about 4 months. Like the Lone-Star, after some humidor time, it tasted much smoother then right out of the cello.

Finally got my Mark Twains....popping one tomorrow. My impatience continues lol.

Those Oliveros Sungrowns look gorgeous. Those are going to take a good nap and wake up next spring. So hard to believe the bundle was less than $20.

Those Ashton boxes are so fragrant, aren't they?

I also got some of Kinky Freidmans--how long did you rest those?
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by BKDW View Post
    Finally got my Mark Twain's....popping one tomorrow. My impatience continues lol.
    Those Oliveros Sungrowns look gorgeous. Those are going to take a good nap and wake up next spring. So hard to believe the bundle was less than $20.
    Those Ashton boxes are so fragrant, aren't they?
    I also got some of Kinky Friedman's--how long did you rest those?
    .....You should always try a few of any cigar you buy directly out of the cello. Otherwise, how could you ever judge how much they change from a years aging. Being a mild smoke, Mark Twain don't need no year though. I love them directly out of the cello. And Kinky Friedman's need at least 6 to 8 weeks of naked aging. You will then taste a noticeable difference then directly out of the cello.

.....also had another successful mini-bidding night at Cigar Bid. Scored,

20 Casa de Turrent Sumatra Churchills (6.5" x 50) for $13.00. new A. Turrent value line.
    20 Reserva Maxima Vintage 2003 Presidente - 7.2"x48 - for $34.00. an excellent high-mild smoke.
    10 La Perla Habana Black Pearl Belicoso (6.2" x 52) for $18.00. nice, smooth medium maduro.
    5 Gispert Maduro Belicoso (6" x 52) for $7. expect this to be a decent smoke.
    5 Gurkha Master's Select Perfecto No.1 (6" x 60) for $7. one of Gurkha's best lines ever.
    Last edited by rah0785; 03-17-2012 at 07:56 AM.

.....this 90 Rated PADILLA CAZADORES TORO GORDO (6" x 60) is great the first smoke of the day. Not to overpowering, but still a lot of crisp medium Habano flavor. With Mark Twain set as my favorite daily Connecticut, the Pinar del Rio Reserva Limitada as my favorite maduro, and the 5 Vegas Cask-Strength as my favorite Corojo, I can concentrate on just 4 cigar lines next month and easily steal 40 of each for $2per.

.....some 'new' to Cigar Bid lines I plan to score over the next month for a first sampling are,

FONSECA CUBANO LIMITADA - got my 5 Pack bid of $15 for the Toro smashed with a closing bid of $21. DAM, you can get Padron for that much.
    PUNCH UPPER-CUT - expect this to be a fine smoke like every other Punch I have torched.
    CARLOS TORANO VAULT - expect this to be a fine smoke like every other Torano I have torched.
    PADILLA SIGNATURE 1932 'NEW PRODUCTION' - a 'must try'. Can't improve on perfection. Probably just a marketing ploy to drum up sales.
    PADILLA MIAMI 'NEW PRODUCTION' - a 'must try'. Same as above. I mean the Miami is rated in the TOP 50 Cigars of all time for a good reason.
    GURKHA WIDOW MAKER MADURO - the Connecticut was an excellent high-mild smoke. Expect a smooth, medium maduro.
    J. FUEGO ORIGON - another Corojo flavor bomb? me hopes so.
    LA AURORA 1495 SERIES - expect this to be a fine smoke like every other La Aurora I have torched.
    LA RELOBA HABANO by Don Pepin Garcia - the Mexico was a BOLD spice machine that was good, just not my cup of tea.
    LA RELOBA SUMATRA by D.P.G. - same as above.
    DON PEPIN GARCIA VEGAS CUBANAS - have not had one since last June. Will be like revisiting an old 88 Rated friend.
    NUB DUB MADURO by Oliva - only if I can score for no more then $4. Have yet to smoke a Nub that is worth that price. The Connecticut is flat, like smoking paper, the maduro is good, but very average, and the Cameroon simply did not taste good. The Habano was the only blend I thought was worth the $3per buy. Fact is, since most of a cigars flavor comes from it's wrapper, stuffing a whopping 60-rings worth of filler into a tiny 4 inch wrapper creates nothing special at all. Even the awesome Cain 'F' 5.7x50 Robusto tastes MUCH BETTER then the 4x60 Cain 'F' Nub.
    GRAYCLIFF ESPRESSO SERIES - have my $6per max bid crushed several times.
    MAN O WAR ARMADA - will try to get one in a sampler.
    MAN O WAR SPECIAL EDTION FIGURADO - had my $4per bid beat last month. Will try again.
    ROCKY PATEL RENAISSANCE - expect this to be a fine smoke like every other Rocky Patel I have smoked. Not great, but at least good.
    and I expect a few more blends will pop up over the next month. Still hoping for them to offer up the Perdomo Fresco, that will NEVER sell at CI bring priced at 25 for $65.00. Can get 25 of the very same cigar at Best Cigar Prices for $49.00.

.....I have enjoyed many excellent cigars by Carlos Torano like the CLASS REGENT, FORTRESS, DOMINICO, VIRTUOSO, TRIBUTE 2003, CASA TORANO, EXODUS 1959 GOLD '50 YEARS', LOYAL, and the 90 Rated gem I am enjoying now, the 6"x52 NOVENTA. A medium Nicaraguan puro that offers some fine tangy, crisp, Habano wrapped flavor. Definitely worth a try.

.....also smoked my first 6.5"x52 PADILLA ACHILLES TORO in quit a while. As I recalled the regular line measured up to the Special Edicion Limitada Salomon, that I could enjoy every day and then some. Not having the Salomon around any longer to compare to, the regular line Toro I smoked tasted dam good. Had a nice, mildly spiced Habano flavor, with a very slight buttery, creamy underdone taste. A solid 85 Rated cigar, and on my "TO WIN" list next month.

.....and the Cigar Bid FREE FALL is rocking again with some great tasting cigars that can be gotten at the best on-line prices around. Some of my favorites are,
    Along with the Dark Corojo, the Antano 1970 offers some of the BEST flavor you can find.
    Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 - Consul - 10 Cigars (#1229852) - CigarBid.com

Graycliff 1666 is a solid tasting maduro.
    Graycliff 1666 Pirate (torpedo) - 10 Cigars (#1229853) - CigarBid.com

Alec Bradley's Family Blend is also a very good smoke.
    Alec Bradley Family Blend - VR1 (robusto) - 10 Cigars (#1229857) - CigarBid.com

Padilla Hybrid Robusto is a good Connecticut option. The Torpedo was the best size though. SOLD OUT everywhere.
    Padilla Hybrid Robusto - 20 Cigars (#1230081) - CigarBid.com

Alec Bradley '90' Rated 2nds Robusto I think is the Family Blend.
    Alec Bradley 90+ Rated Seconds Robusto '50' - 10 Cigars (#1229861) - CigarBid.com

Man O War Virtue Salomon is an excellent Connecticut wrapped cigar.
    Man O' War Virtue Salomon - 10 Cigars (#1230071) - CigarBid.com

Pinar del Rio Seleccion Reserva Limitado 2010 Toro is a very good, sweet tasting maduro. Still have a few resting from last year.
    Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserve Limitado '10 Toro - 10 Cigars (#1230072) - CigarBid.com

the 5 Vegas Serie 'A' Apocalypse is a big fat hurf stick that improves with age. Have to try some again. Maybe the smaller sizes this time.
    5 Vegas Series 'A' Apocalypse (6"x5 - 20 Cigars (#1230079) - CigarBid.com

the Graycliff Turbo Torpedo is an excellent medium Habano wrapped smoke. Sadly lost my bid last night on two 5 Packs.
    Graycliff Turbo - 10 Cigars (#123008 - CigarBid.com

Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum is one of the BEST cigars I have ever smoked. The flavor is awesome.
    Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum (box-press) - 10 Cigars (#1230090) - CigarBid.com

Oliva Serie 'G' Torpedo is one I could some daily if it were in my daily price range.
    Oliva Serie 'G' Torpedo (box-press) - 10 Cigars (#1230094) - CigarBid.com

Dropping to $32.66, maybe lower. No better cigar for that amount then Cuba Libre One. Have about 20 Brutes aging naked from last year that keep getting better and better.
    Cuba Libre One 'The Brute' - 20 Cigars (#1230096) - CigarBid.com

I love the Pinar del Rio Obsidian. Also improves with age. I will score this new size sampler sooner or later.
    Obsidian 'The Experiment' Sampler - Box of 10 (#123009 - CigarBid.com

EP Carrillo New Wave Robusto is a good buy for just over $3per. Should be tried by any smoker who enjoys high-mild Connecticut wrapped cigars.
    E.P. Carrillo New Wave Brillantes - 10 Cigars (#1230100) - CigarBid.com

Kinky Friedman's are one of the BEST buys out their as a solid, everyday maduro cigar.
    Kinky Friedman 'Texas Jewboy' (torpedo) - 10 Cigars (#1230106) - CigarBid.com

La Perla Habana Morado Belicoso is the best of all the La Perla Habana cigars. It's 92 Rating is well deserved.
    La Perla Habana Morado Belicoso - 10 Cigars (#1230080) - CigarBid.com

Another great tasting Padilla. No surprise. Would smoke these daily if they offered more up in my price range.
    Padilla Dominus Robusto - 10 Cigars (#1230093) - CigarBid.com

A 20 box of the La Perla Habana Black Pearl Belicoso, like Cuba Libre One, is a great buy for under $40.00.
    La Perla Habana Black Pearl Belicoso - Box of 20 (#1230097) - CigarBid.com

5 Vegas Triple 'A' differs from the Series 'A' but is just as good if not better.
    5 Vegas Triple-A - 10 Cigars (#1230101) - CigarBid.com

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979 Robusto. One I have not smoked yet. Near the top of my "to sample" list.
    Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979 (robusto) - 10 Cigars (#1230105) - CigarBid.com

Smoked through 10 of these Obsidian Belicoso last summer. Loved every one.
    Obsidian Belicoso - 10 Cigars (#1230074) - CigarBid.com

.....and that is it. If I scored one lot of each for the month I would be one happy smoker. Not that I am not a happy smoker right now. Just sayin'.

Good stuff.

I am trying to buy as many of those Cuba Libres as possible. They are going to sit until next year...I want to buy enough so that when they do, I don't kick myself for not buying more when I had the chance. Even one ROTT was not bad--it tasted a lot like the Torano Serie Jalapa...have you had that one, Rich?

Those Fonseca Aranas seem promising. I am not expecting it to be a stellar smoke when they come of age, but they are probably going to be extremely solid.

Have you noticed that the prices of the La Auroras are coming down dramatically? I have been finally able to sample a lot more of their lines.
    The 1495 is pretty good. My intuition tells me that after a year's rest, they are going to be stellar. We talked about this on another thread, but you should get your hands on the Preferidos. I thought that Fuente had summed up the Dominican leaf pretty well with its offerings. But as I am getting more familar with La Aurora, I think they (in general) have a better product than Fuente (not that Fuente is bad).

Also, the Padilla Dominus is not to be played with. That was my greatest cigar of 2011--a true "man's smoke".

They need rest (1 year please) and should be smoked at a lower RH%. I've been able to get the Dominus for $2 a pop off devil.

They taste like a cross between a Joya de Nicaragua Dark Antano and a LFD...

This resident Torano whore has not yet smoked the Vault. People are paying $4 and $5 a stick for them off devil. Gonna have to sneak in to try to get them at $3 a pop.

Full grown Puffer Fish wahoofever's Avatar

"Have you noticed that the prices of the La Auroras are coming down dramatically?"

I have not tried any La Auroras because of the price and not wanting to buy a 5'er + of something I won't like. I finally bit the bullet last night and bought a 5'er of the La Aurora 107 Corona on the Monster for $20 shipped. I'm a sucker for corona's and I hadn't bought anything in a week so I had the itch.

As for the 5 Vegas series A comment Rich, I don't mind the Anomaly but I'm not in love with them either. I have yet to smoke one with more than 5 months rest on it so I'm thinking they will get better but they retain this slightly acrid note on the finish that stops them from being cohesive.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofever View Post
    "Have you noticed that the prices of the La Auroras are coming down dramatically?"

I have not tried any La Auroras because of the price and not wanting to buy a 5'er + of something I won't like. I finally bit the bullet last night and bought a 5'er of the La Aurora 107 Corona on the Monster for $20 shipped. I'm a sucker for corona's and I hadn't bought anything in a week so I had the itch.

As for the 5 Vegas series A comment Rich, I don't mind the Anomaly but I'm not in love with them either. I have yet to smoke one with more than 5 months rest on it so I'm thinking they will get better but they retain this slightly acrid note on the finish that stops them from being cohesive.
    ....It seems like they are posting a lot more of all La Aurora lines. Cigar Bid does that with every cigar brand they offer. When they get a fresh batch in, they flood the boards with that brands lines. That is why it is hard to get consistent prices their. Hell, I recall late last year a box's of Mark Twain's were closing in the $50's. But they have offered tons of them the last few months, and they are back to a $2per cigar all the time. Plus they have added a Quickbuy option to over 50% of the auctions they post. Used to be only a small percent were available as Quickbuys. That has had an effect on prices as well. A lot of bidders use that price to set their max bid for box auctions. Most of the 5 pack Quickbuy prices are set at $3 to $5 per, so they are not much of a bargain.

.....and the Anomaly is the exact size I am going to get when I smoke the Serie 'A' again. The 7x58 was nothing special and did not click with me. Had no real desire to buy again. I have noticed the Corona or Lancero sizes offer much better flavor then the big fat herf sizes for many of the brands I smoke. And the La Aurora 107 Sungrown was an excellent smoke. Hard to get for under $3per, at least when I have tried to win more.

.....the last 3 nights at Cigar Bid have been fast and furious like a hockey game, like saying 'HE BIDS, HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' Picked apart a few more auction last night. Some of my very nice scores were,

Three GRAYCLIFF TOP-SHELF TORPEDOS SAMPLER, 6 cigars total for $9.00. Those smokes being,
    3 - Graycliff 1666 PGX Torpedo (6" x 52)
    3 - Graycliff Profesionale PGX Torpedo (6" x 52)

One NICRAGUAN BOUTIQGE FLIGHT SAMPLER - 12 Cigars for $10.00. Should have bid on more then one. Still won,
    3 - 5 Vegas Limitada 2010 Belicoso (6.25" x 52) great tasting Habano cigar
    3 - La Estrella Cubana Oscuro 'C' (7" x 49) sweet, medium maduro
    3 - Padilla Hybrid Torpedo (6.25" x 52) one of my favorite Connecticut wrapped cigars. The Torpedo size only that is.
    3 - 5 Vegas Series 'A' Atomic (4.5" x 54) will try and let these age for a while.

Five RESERVA MAXIMA VINTAGE 2003 PRESIDNETES (7.2" x 49) for $5.00
    Five CU-AVANA CONNECTICUT CHURCHILLS (7" x 50) for $4.00
    Five GARO VNTAGE TOROS (6" x 52) for $7.00
    Five GRAYCLIFF TURBO TORPEDOS (6" x 60) for $10.00
    Two MAN O WAR SPECIAL EDITION FIGURADO (7.1" x 57) for $8.00
    Two GRAYCLIFF TURBO EDICION LIMITADA SUPER TORO (6" x 60) for $4.00
    Two OLIVEROS BLACK KNIGHT BOX-PRESSED MACE (6" x 60) for $4.00

.....and I have 18 more 5 Packs that are all looking just fine at this point closing tonight.

.....smoking an INDIAN TABAC SUPER FUERTE MADURO (6" x 60) that I have had resting since last Spring. This is a good cigar. Then again, the other 4 were good smokes last Spring. No better now after 10 months of naked aging with 100 or so other maduros. So if you give them a try let them air for for 6 to 8 weeks and enjoy. I would suggest a thinner size though. Offers hints of chocolate, leather, and a sweet wood like background flavor I notice now and then. Rated 82

..... also smoked my 2nd VIGILANTE COROJO CHURCHILL (7" x 50) earlier tonight. The fact is I just love Corojo wrapped cigars. This one is no exception. The flavor is not as smooth and refined as the 5 Vegas Cask-Strength, Padilla Miami, or Alec Bradley Prensado, but it is still in the ball park. What makes them most appealing is the $1.50per price tag you can get them for at Cigar Bid. Near full Corojo flavor for that price is a steal, and definitely worth a try. Rated 84,

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast