Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I remember not too long ago seeing a very good deal on those Perdomo 10th Anni either on cigarmonster or ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes canadacigar's Avatar

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

I remember not too long ago seeing a very good deal on those Perdomo 10th Anni either on cigarmonster or maybe it was on a monthly mayham deal at famous, but the box was very cheap. I had never seen them or heard of them before and wondered why they were such a great deal for what looked like a good cigar. I wish I pulled the trigger on them. Seems like you really like that cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    Started Saturday with number 4, PADILLA SERIES '68, 6x60 GOLDEN BEAR. After smoking that MIAMI ROBUSTO, I have raised my standard bar, unintentionally of course, for new Padillas and found this GOLDEN BEAR only average. Like the SINGLE BATCH #17, it got better as it went along but never came close to SIG '32 or MIAMI. Actually liked the SINGE BATCH big toro better. Still a decent cigar, just won't be high on the list if I have a choice.

Number 5 was NUB 466 Habano. Like the Cameroon, a good cigar but I still look to NUB 460 Connecticut as the best shorty I have smoked. The Habano could have been a a little smoother but still had a decent taste. For the awesome price of $3 I would buy again. $5 or $6, actually no NUB as far as I all I have smoked thus far. Become spoiled by placing low winning bid at Cigar Bid. I found a good deal for my new obsession stick, PER RES 10th ANN CHAMPAGNE. Famous Smoke has five Robusto, 5x54 stick for $17.95. A great deal at $3.57 a stick. Also saw they had CAO GOLD 6x60 PERFECTO, 10 for $43.95. Good prices on two solid worth a 2nd smoking cigars. Also found a great deal on the PERDOMO FRESCO Churchill I tried a few days back, 25 for $45.00. Great price for a decent cigar.

CAIN DAYTONA ROBUSTO is in the wings. Have to check out Puff's to 25 as muddy did to see if it is a 'realistic' list as far as my wallet goes. later!

Are these your regular smoking habits??? Or are you just smoking tons this month to sample?? How many do you, or have you been smoking per day?
    I like your mini reviews btw.

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    13. GURKHA ANCIENT WARRIOR Churchill. Another decent Gurkha. Taste improved as the I smoked. Box of 20 goes for about $100 at Best Cigar Prices.com. That would be THE MOST I would pay. It retails for $7.50 and like most Gurkha's I see around local B&M's here is over priced.

The La Gloria Cubano Artesanos Churchill looks very good. Will torch that later today as another first try stick. Have to flip a coin after that between a Graycliff 1666 Toro or an OLIVA Sreie V, which I have tried. Now this Graycliff goes for about $5 more then the Oliva V, which is an awesome cigar. See if it is priced right, or over priced. It has a tall order ahead of it.

In the mean time, a major urge for a fat 5 Vegas Gold 6x60 Bullion will get my attention. So creamy and smooth with French vanilla Espresso so EARLY IN THE MORNING! Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by FWTX View Post
    hey - you skipped the Perdomo limited Resevse Oscuro "E"

Now that you mention it I am not surprised.

14. Perdomo Lim Res OSCURO 'E', cost me $2 and that is all I would pay for it. An uneventful, even boring generic maduro. Not unsmokeable mind you, buy the old saying 'their are countless like it out their'. When I smoke a El Mejor Espresso or Aganese Maduro I know what to expect. Unless Perdomo was simply looking to put a low priced maduro on the market not sure why they made it. Now the M.S.R.P. for this stick is $7. That is a SHAME! Got my Reserve Champagne for less and it was a perfect cigar. If you get it for $2, and just want to smoke a Maduro then you should be OK with the stick. If you are looking for anything 'extra' you will be disappointed.

15. If you want to smoke a very good cigar try LA GLORIA ARTESANOS Churchills. Very smooth stick with a good flavor to it. Down to under two inches, and don't want to put it out!!!

I have made the decision and will burn the new GRAYCLIFF 1666 Toro. Now if I was at my local B&M and slapped a $20 down on the counter, plus tax, would this nice looking Graycliff match up. Or would it even match up to the C.I. price of $11 a stick? I will tell you soon!

Down to 3 new sticks until months end. How depressing. Will visit my local smoke maybe if I get the shakes and see if their is anything that I am not afraid to spend $5+ on.

Does anyone consider size a big enough factor to consider that cigar a 'new' stick? One example I recall very well is with my old favorite, the La Perla Habana Cobre. I have smoked the stick in every size. I actually did not like the Robusto or 6x60 as much as the Belicoso or Toro. Same with the La Perla Rojo. Loved the Beli and Toro but not the 6x60 as much. The La Perla Classic seemed as good in all sizes as did the Morado. Same thing with the Perdomo Slow-Aged. I thought the 5 Churchills I smoked two month ago were excellent. Got the Toro sized Glroisoso and was looking forward to more of the same but I did not seem to enjoy the taste nearly as much. Recall I smoked all 5 churchills in a row, meaning no other sticks in between them(chain smoke 5 Churchills, maybe the right stick). Tried my 2nd Toro only to see why the first seemed lacking. Still offered no real want for another.

After the Graycliff 1666 will be,

Paratagas Black Label
    Padilla Hybrid Maduro
    and JR Ultimate Maduro as my next victims!

rich, how many smokes a day dude??

Quote Originally Posted by canadacigar View Post
    rich, how many smokes a day dude??

Well, ah, my Cardiologist said to stop completely for now. Ya right! Legs started swelling about 4 weeks ago or so. Went for new tests and they all came back the same as they have they past 3 years, damaged, but no worse. I was smoking about one stick every 4 hours. What else you going to do if your not working??? I did drop to two a day around April 20th or so, and stayed their until my until I got my Cigar Bid order on the 29th. But these new sticks have to be tried. I know he could not have also meant the 10 days following the receipt of my monthly order. Just my daily routine under 'normal' circumstances. I don't think it is normal to have 22 new sticks you have never smoked sitting around for weeks??? That would be crazy. Only have 4 to go anyway. After that I will ween my self back down to two. Now if more testing next week shows I am still stable then this 2 a day crap is OVER BABY!!!!

Cool Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

Forgot to mention from earlier....

16. GRAYCLIFF 1666 Toro (6x50) on sale now at C.I. And that would be the only time I smoke it again. Not worth $20 and not worth $11. It is a very good maduro though. Great taste that comes close to Oliva Serie V or Padilla Sig '32 but not better. Got mine for a very god $2.60. I'll smoke 'em all at $2.60 a stick.

and 17. PARTAGAS BLACK LABEL Magnificio, (6x54) is not as good as the 1666, but is only priced at a fraction of the price. This is an excellent maduro and for $4 or so is a great priced stick. Thompson has 20 of the 6x54's on sale now for $70. If I had $70 in the cookie jar, well, by tomorrow their would be plenty of room for cookies. The Padilla Hybrid and JR Ultimate look just as good. I will save those for tomorrow.

One single single left to try tonight. JR Ultimate Maduro. I have smoked maybe 6 JR Alternatives with little to no success. Their Montecristo ALT. is nothing like a Montecristo. Same with their Ashtons. And Montesino's. Gave up after that. Actually they all tasted pretty much the same. This Ultimate is a few bucks more and does not claim to represent another cigar.

Tomorrow MORRO CASTLE and FONSECA ARANA arrive early afternoon. By evening they will be history and known to be worth a 2nd smoking or two sticks I will forget like so many others.

18. PADILLA HYBRID MADURO Robusto is a good maduro. Not great by any measure, but smokeable with average maduro tastes. Just medium compared to last nights Partagas Black Label.

Already making up a list that will be acted on starting May18th. Will search the 'Dog Rocket Plus' brands more this month. Am looking to score the following sub $2 sticks.....
    ASTRIAL CONNECTICUT
    CU-AVANA
    DON ELIAS
    ERIN GO BAUGH
    INDIAN TABAC CLASSIC
    LA DIFERENCIA CUBANA
    PILOTO CUBANO
    PIRATES GOLD BIG BOY, will just get the 6.5x56, as the 10X60 stick can't be smokeable???
    PUROS INDIOS
    PUROS INDIOS RESERVE MAXIMA
    LA VIEJA CONNECTICUT by DREW ESTATES
    SEMPER Fi by CAMACHO
    SIGNATURE COLLECTION SP EDI SALOMON
    VICTOR SINCLAIR CONNECTICUT

Never fear. I have some 'expected decent cigar' ideas. When I finish that list I will share it as well. No one else is looking into trying any new sticks this month??? Maybe I will reach a point when it is no longer a 'point' to seek out cigars worth a 2nd smoking. Anyone try these 'long shots' I have listed above? If you could head me off at the pass and note if any one is SO BAD you wouldn't even have recommended it to BIN LADEN let me know please. Poor Osama 'IS' actually food for the fishes. Sitting up their in the kingdom on the wrong side of the gulf/river looking over at all the non-terrorists children, peaceful and content in the bosom of Abraham, being crushed by more remorse and regret that anyone can imagine now that he can see the whole picture, and how his mistakes while alive made his existence here on the earth 100% worthless. Could have at least mailed his blood stained turban home to MAMA Bin Laden.

I'm not bidding on all those sh^t sticks I listed in my last post. Maybe one or two like last month. Get carried away with the thought one of those $1.50 sticks comes close to a Gurkha Park Avenue or Symphony. Maybe some day I will find one. If anyone has smoked any and can say they are decent please let me know SOON! thanks

Stick #19 was a surprise. JR ULTIMATE Double Corona Oscuro is a good maduro cigar. Not in the same row as PAD Sig '32 or Sig.32 OSCURO, but would make a solid every day smoke. Had a noticeable chocolate under tone and burned line a finely constructed stick with a near solid white ash. Twice as good as their alternatives. Would like to try the natural or Connecticut. All seemed to be priced just under $4 per stick.

Speaking of the PADILLA SIG 1932, had my first in January. Have been SIG'32LESS since and finally scored a nice Churchill single I am toking now. So good!!! Scored a 5 pack last month for $27, about $15 above my personal max bid on any stick. Had to give them away to cover a 'favor' from by cuz who I am trading with. Very SAD!!

Will polish this off over the next hour and then torch the Morro Castle Belicoso and Fonseca Arana Churchill later today.

Number 20 MORRO CASTLE Torpedo was the surprise of the day. Does everyone know it's a good tasting cigar? It is, like maybe a 5 Vegas Classic with at least 50% more flavor. I can see why it got a '92' that retailers are sure to let you know. This stick is worth a box purchase.

Now number 21, FONSECA ARANA Churchill is priced way less the Morro Castle. If Maduro's are your top choice and your are looking for a 'filler' stick to smoke in between the Graycliff 1666 and Partagas Black Labels, for $2 the Arana would be great. Sweet, medium maybe maduro taste. Not dull at all. I like all cigars, and wouldn't mind smoking this one again.

Found a few legitimate looking 'Diamonds in the Ruff', as they say at 'crap cigars'. Never ordered from 'Best Cigar Prices', until this month that is. Discovered the PERDOMO FRESCO Churchill or Torpedo. 25 for $48. Excellent deal. Best compared to Perdomo Slow-aged Gurkha Symphony. Also want to try PERDOMO'S NICK'S STICKS, and a few other long shots called SANTA ROSA, BCP #12, Hemingway Alternatives. And NUB alternatives called 'SNUBS'. Say the name several times to yourself. The 4x60 is 50 for $110.

If you are smoking a cigar for the first time and want to share your first views please make a quick posting. It is always good to hear what smokers have to say about new sticks they try offering ideas or leads or warnings for other members who make it a point to try new lines as much as possible. thanks

Puffer Fish with many spikes Stinkdyr's Avatar

Crikey rah, you are certainly taking some hits for the team!

I will have to try one of those Morro Shacks..........my expectations are safely low.

:-)

Maturing Puffer Fish

Rah,

Keep this post alive and posting what you have tried. I have an order coming Monday with 58 different sticks. Some of them I have tried but most I have not tried. The auction site as stated before is a devil site. For a long time I had smoked cigars but had never tried so many different ones until lately. I will post up some of the reviews of the ones I have tried this year and the ones I will try soon. I told myself I would not order anymore but i already have 12 more sticks that I may win. Shipping was not that bad on my last order as I worried about the price of shipping. I paid right at 15 bucks for 58 sticks and a 20 count humidor (really did not need it but loved the art on the box).

I think this is the best way to sample as I keep the bands of the cigars I have smoked into two different containers. I put the ones I like in one container and the ones I did not like in another container. Happy Smoking

Maturing Puffer Fish

Here are some of the ones I will be trying while some on the list I have already tried in the past. I enjoy trying different cigars I think that is what makes it fun as there is so many different ones to try. Some of these sticks will not be an everyday smoke but then again there are not many sticks that are. I do love mellow/mild in the morning and a stronger cigar in the evening. I already have had most of these sticks waiting at least a week to a 2 months in humidor listed below. I find letting them set for a week does wonders but there are times a new shipment will come in and I just light it up.

Acid Blonde
    Oliveros King Havano Oscuro Monarch
    5 Vegas Limitada ’10 Belicoso
    Padilla 1948
    Arturo Fuente Hemingway signature
    God of Fire 2007 Carlito Double Robusto
    Pardon Serie 1926 40th Anniversary Maduro (I might save this for special occasion costly cigar but probably will light them up).
    Tatuaja Havana VI Artistas
    Tatuaje Miami Tainos
    Man O’ War (several different stick to try)
    Aurturo Fuente Sun-Grown Double Chateau
    La Aurora Cetro
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    St. Luis Rey Prequenos
    Gurkha Micro Batch S-2
    5 Vegas Classic “The Judge”
    Oliveros Eight Zero Perferdio
    Mark Twain No.2 and No.3
    5 Vegas Miami ‘M5’
    Diesel Unlimited d.5
    Tierra Del Sol
    Pirate’s Gold #3
    Puros Indios Siembra de Oro Palma Real Maduro

Full grown Puffer Fish Barefoot's Avatar

Just a side note. The Partagas Cifuentes is one that I revisited after they had been resting for close to a year. I beleive that they are Noviembre of Febrero. Just a great stick; with raisin, cream, and buttered burnt toast notes. I enjoy revisiting the sticks I have moved on from, sometimes you find a gem.

emk
    broke but smoke

Thanks for quick reviews.
    W/ my CI locker I get 4 cigars a month. Did not know about any of them. Had them in my car for a long selling trip but did not take the trip because Check Engine light on of my beast of a car. Too many times got in trouble ignoring warnings so went to garage.
    Waiting for the diagnosis on the bane of my life, I lit up Morro Castle Torpedo, chosen because of this thread.
    Very flavorful. Liked it. My mouth did get all dried up, maybe from the cigar, maybe from worrying that I don't have $ for serious repair etc.
    Started laughing by myself, at myself, thinking that maybe my cigars would get me through a time of no car etc., when the mechanic comes to tell me that he had found nothing wrong except the usual screwed up wiring (from previous owner who had installed a carphone[[remember them? car is a '94)).
    Mechanic said he liked the aroma of the cigar--told him I would bring some gars over to him and he told me NO CHARGE for looking at the car.

Quote Originally Posted by gravebelly View Post
    Rah,

Keep this post alive and posting what you have tried. I have an order coming Monday with 58 different sticks. Some of them I have tried but most I have not tried. The auction site as stated before is a devil site. For a long time I had smoked cigars but had never tried so many different ones until lately. I will post up some of the reviews of the ones I have tried this year and the ones I will try soon. I told myself I would not order anymore but i already have 12 more sticks that I may win. Shipping was not that bad on my last order as I worried about the price of shipping. I paid right at 15 bucks for 58 sticks and a 20 count humidor (really did not need it but loved the art on the box).

I think this is the best way to sample as I keep the bands of the cigars I have smoked into two different containers. I put the ones I like in one container and the ones I did not like in another container. Happy Smoking

At 50 new sticks a month, you will have all Cigar Bids singles that go for less then $10 smoked by years end. Sounds excellent. And yes, Cigar Bid is the only reason I have been able to experience so many new sticks. Have yet to find any retailer that offers 5 packs or singles at even the same price the sticks goes for in a 20 box.

Although I don't think the Devil is involved in anything as 'good' as cigars, the site itself can cause anxiety in several different ways to many bidders, myself included. Seeing a cigar you love, or would love to try, up for bid over and over at often crazy low prices, can lead you down a path that lacks self control and discipline. It also bothers me at times seeing so many of my favorites being auctioned off to God knows who, and I can't bid for whatever reason. Tonight was worse then most. Saw some sticks I have smoked and liked, and some I have not, go for sickening low prices, one lot for a BUCK. I have yet to try ASTRIAL Connecticut. Seems just like a Dog Rocket PLUS, meaning no bad taste, and lacks even average mild flavor, but is still smokeable. Five Churchills were won for $1. GOOD NIGHT!

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast