Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; .....had a wonderful smoking yesterday, finally getting my hands on some of the Thompson exclusive PINAR del RIO 1878 cigar ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

.....had a wonderful smoking yesterday, finally getting my hands on some of the Thompson exclusive PINAR del RIO 1878 cigar lines. It's not hard to see why these got 89 and 90 Ratings from Cigar Aficionado. Started yesterday around 1pm with the,

PINAR del RIO 1878 CUBANO ESPECIAL CONNECTICUT TORO (6" x 52) If you like MAN O WAR VIRTUE, and any smoker who likes Connecticut wrapped cigars should, you will love this PDR 1878 Cubano Especial. Their similarity was the very first thing to pop into my smokey brain. And like the Virtue, these PDR 1878 cigars are very well made, packed rock hard with tobacco, and smoke perfectly, with a decent burn and a perfect draw. Compared to other cigars of it's kind, I would give this one a 88 Rating. The 8 Pack Sampler special of the 4 cigar lines for $19.95 is a great deal. Hopefully, some day, these will be taken over by C.I. and get the attention they deserve. About 4 hours later I torched the,

PINAR del RIO 1878 RESERVA DOMINICANA HABANO TORO (6" x 52) which was an excellent smoke as well. Very smooth for a Habano cigar. Only JUST reaches medium in flavor, but that flavor is very sweet and gingerbread like good. Going to let the 2nd rest naked in my box for at least a two months to see if any additional spice notes come out. Gets Rated 86 for now. Then around 10pm last night I burned the,

PNAR del RIO 1878 RESERVA DOMINICANA OSCURO TORO (6" x 52) and it was a very good smoke as well. Not as bold of flavor offering as the RESERVA LIMITADA. Still a sweet tasting, solid medium darkie that for under $3per is an awesome buy. Again, I will let my 2nd one rest for a while for expected improvements. This OSCURO gets Rated 86 for now. And very early dis' morning I burned the,

PINAR del RIO 1878 CUBANO ESPECIAL MADURO TORO (6" x 52). This one to me, was the best of the four. Some very good, and VERY SMOOTH maduro flavor. I love cigars that burn near perfect and allow you to produce a SOLID WHITE cloud of smoke each puff you take. All 4 lines smoke like this. This maduro reached near full flavor, and like the 1878 Oscuro, differs quit a bit when compared to the other fine tasting PDR darkies I have enjoyed. Gets Rated 88. Will also let my 2nd stick nap for a while with maybe 50 other darkies.

.....and right now I am enjoying a 7x50 ARGANESE CONNECTICUT CHURCHILL, Rated 85, a perfect morning smoke. Love it's sooth, creamy, woody flavor base. Since so many cigar smokers judge cigars buy their price, by throwing this cigars cost out the window, I would put this "Diamond in the Ruff" up against any high-mild Connecticut wrapped cigar.

....HATE! HATE! HATE! Of course I get my monthly Government hand out one day AFTER this sale disappears.

Cigars International

....this should be a punishable offense! Wonder what the morons max bid is? Makes the same buy at C.I. for $39.99 look like the bargain of the year.HA HA HA HA HA
    Double Happiness Sampler (10) (#1233621) - CigarBid.com

.....I have burned dozens of these SAN MIGUEL cigars over the the past year. They just keep getting better. If you have not tried SAN MIGUEL I suggest you do so very soon. And once you like it, and you will, you should buy up as many as you can get you hands on. 10 of the 6x52 Torpedo can be had at CI for $22.50. The line has been cancelled. This 7"x48 Churchill I am enjoying now has a good 7 months of naked aging on it. These smooth out to perfection. Very good fresh as well.
    Solid 90+ Rated flavor every time.

San Miguel Torpedo 10pk - Cigars International
    San Miguel Torpedo (Single) (#1230206) - CigarBid.com
    San Miguel Toro (#123252 - CigarBid.com
    San Miguel Torpedo (#1232891) - CigarBid.com

....here ya go smoke fans. The first posting of the 5 VEGAS HIGH PRIMINGS 6"x54 TORPEDO. 20 go for $90.00 or 5 for $25.00. Let see if the over bidding bug sets in on any bidders.

5 Vegas High Primings Torpedo (Single) (#1234106) - CigarBid.com

.....I am in for one with a $5per max bid. Looking good so far with 3 days to go.
    Last edited by rah0785; 03-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.

.....Searching for some new cigar lines to sample? Here is a pretty detailed world wide brand listing. Found this when I was searching for some details on the CASA de ORO cigar lines that peaked my interest.

Cigars - List of Cigar Brands - Directory

.....smoking another fine Corojo cigar right now. The PERDOMO INMENSO 760 (7" x 60). Like all Corojo cigars I have smoked, these taste better after my mandatory 4 to 6 week naked aging period. This Inmenso, and the Vigilante Corojo have been my two favorite sticks to burn over the past two weeks. Just stole another 5 Pack of the Vigilante 7x50 last night for $7. As usual, when near 600 cigar auctions are closing at Cigar Bid, their are many good deals to be had. Also pinched the following 5 Packs at cut-rate prices.

ARGANESE CONNECTICUT CHURCHILL (7" x 50) It don't get no better when you find a $1.25per cigar you actually LIKE, and look to buy, as opposed to being forced to smoke one because you have no other options. I'll 25 for $32.00 until the cows come home.
    CI LEGENDS SERIES PERDOMO MADURO TORPEDO (5.7" x 54) have only smoked once, and that one had been resting in yellowed cello for nearly 3 years. Lots of spice surrounding a good maduro flavor. Like the other Legends lines should be a very good smoke.
    GURKHA MASTER'S SELECT CHURCHILL (7" x 52) a good smoke fresh. Simply awesome after a few years of aging. $7 score
    GURKHA WIDOW MAKER MADURO CHURCHILL (7" x 52) since the Connecticut was very good had to try the maduro for 15 bucks.
    LA CUNA HABANA BIN NO.85 SALOMON (7.1" x 5 some very good, sweet Habano flavor. Another $7 steal
    PADILLA HYBRID ROBUSTO (5" x 50) one cigar were size does matter. The 6.2x52 Torpedo was an excellent tasting, high mild Connecticut wrapped smoke. The 7x48 Churchill was not nearly as good. Never tried the 5x50. High hopes it takes after the Torpedo size. Worth the try for only 5 bucks.

....and a few 'new' lines I am trying to score in singles are,

CARLOS TORANO VAULT 6"x50 TORO - expect like every other Torano cigar I have smoke this one will be good.
    PADILLA SIGNATURE 1932 'NEW PRODUCTION' 7.5"x42 LANCERO - The 'OLDER PRODUCTION' Lancero was one of the best tasting smokes offered at Cigar Bid. Hard for me to believe this 'NEW' blend will be better.
    ROCKY PATEL RENAISSANCE TORO (6" x 52). will measure this against the 7x50 ALBION CHURCHILL, like I do all new Sumatra wrapped cigars I sample. If you can't out blend a $1.50per cigar you should retire.
    SENCILLO BLACK 6.5"x48 CHURCHILL - 5 tobacco blend thrown together by Camacho & Gods of Fire. Like the regular SENCILLO line should be good as well.
    and finally the new 5 VEGAS HIGH PRIMINGS HABANO TORPEDO (6" x54). A new auction for 5 Packs of the 6"x48 Double Corona opens in 42 minutes. I suggest if you want to try the line, make a one time $18.00 Quickbuy. Listed at CI for $22.50, which will probably be a guide for some bidders who enjoy the fine cigars 5 Vegas makes.
    5 Vegas High Primings Double Corona (#1236865) - CigarBid.com

.....when I start bidding again after April 25th I am going to hoard all the PUEBLO DOMINICANO I can get my hands on. These are just to dam good. Like Oliveros Sungrown, a great tasting, under the radar cigar that can still be pinched for $3per of less.

if you want to sampler Oliveros Sungrown, you can still claim 3 of the 6x50 at $2per under the 3 I already have at $2per. No one deserves to win this smoke for a buck. If no one else wises up and makes the move I will STEAL THEM ALL!
    http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/...n-Toro-Single/

Newbie in the ocean

I actually just tried my first PDR within days of this post .. the Oscuro. Based on its presentation and reviews by others, I was eager to try it. I couldn't get into it, and feel like I must've gotten a dud - had trouble keeping it burning. Taste was average. I haven't gone through all of your posts, but have you gotten into the CAO's yet? I'm still waiting to find one that I can rate less than 'awesome,' but that has yet to occur. By the way, I also recently tried an Ave Maria, and agree that is worthy of being a profile picture. That thing was one of my favorite smokes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb955 View Post
    I actually just tried my first PDR within days of this post .. the Oscuro. Based on its presentation and reviews by others, I was eager to try it. I couldn't get into it, and feel like I must've gotten a dud - had trouble keeping it burning. Taste was average. I haven't gone through all of your posts, but have you gotten into the CAO's yet? I'm still waiting to find one that I can rate less than 'awesome,' but that has yet to occur. By the way, I also recently tried an Ave Maria, and agree that is worthy of being a profile picture. That thing was one of my favorite smokes yet.
    ....I have never had a major burning issue with any if the PDR OSCURO's I have smoked. Yours had to be to moist. As far as CAO goes, since they only offer two regularly at Cigar Bid I don't get to smoke them much except when I score a sampler. I have burned through many excellent tasting CAO AMERICA's, BRAZILIA's & ITALIA's. And when I can get them in my price range, I always snatch up a CAO BLACK or 'VR'. And I agree 100%. I have yet to smoke a CAO cigar that was not VERY GOOD. The CAO SOPRANOS & CAMEROON are two of the best tasting cigars I have every smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    .....when I start bidding again after April 25th I am going to hoard all the PUEBLO DOMINICANO I can get my hands on. These are just to dam good. Like Oliveros Sungrown, a great tasting, under the radar cigar that can still be pinched for $3per of less.

if you want to sampler Oliveros Sungrown, you can still claim 3 of the 6x50 at $2per under the 3 I already have at $2per. No one deserves to win this smoke for a buck. If no one else wises up and makes the move I will STEAL THEM ALL!
    Oliveros Sun Grown Toro (Single) (#1234219) - CigarBid.com
    Yeah...+1 on the Pueblo Dominicanos. Smoked the second one of the box of robustos after a couple weeks of "naked aging" (patent pending)lol.....Very dense, rich and complex. I don't see these being under the radar for long.

.....just smoked my first Don Pepin Garcia TABACOS BAEZ SERIE SF TORO (6" x 50). Very good Habano flavor. Like CAO or OLIVA, Garcia has yet to make a cigar that is not at least a good smoke. A lot of smokers will stay away from this blend simply because the 'SF' stand for SHORT FILLER, 70% long, 30% short according to da Don. Even though any legit cigar maker or smoker will declare tobacco is tobacco. Just leaves more for me. For the price this one is a steal. Rated 88.

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    .....just smoked my first Don Pepin Garcia TABACOS BAEZ SERIE SF TORO (6" x 50). Very good Habano flavor. Like CAO or OLIVA, Garcia has yet to make a cigar that is not at least a good smoke. A lot of smokers will stay away from this blend simply because the 'SF' stand for SHORT FILLER, 70% long, 30% short according to da Don. Even though any legit cigar maker or smoker will declare tobacco is tobacco. Just leaves more for me. For the price this one is a steal. Rated 88.
    Agreed, for a bargain priced stick this is really good. I will also add that I find this stick better with a lower RH and dry boxed prior to lighting up.
    A lot of problems in the world can be solved if everyone takes the time to relax and have a cigar.

.....here is a great opportunity for you to sample the new DIESEL CRUCIBLE & the "NEW" PADILLA MIAMI, along with 4 other great smokes for only $29.95. The COHIBA PURO is also an excellent smoke. I have 3 of the GARO Salomon's coming next month. Bet this deal sells out fast. The 3rd deal for $49.95 look interesting as well. I have wanted to try the PUNCH UPPER-CUT for a while now. The GRAYCLIFF AVELINO LARA is a good $3per cigar, not much more. Just reaches medium in strength. Smoked it once with no desire to smoke again.
    1 x Padilla Miami Robusto - 5.0x50
    1 x Cohiba Puro Dominicana - 6.0x54
    1 x E.P. Carrillo Club 52 - 5.8x52
    1 x Garo Los Lectores Salomon - 7.0x58
    1 x Diesel Crucible - 6.5x52
    1 x Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill - 7.0x48
    Cigar.com - Daily Cigar Deal

.....smoking a kick-ass JOYA de NICARAGUA DARK COROJO EL PODEROSO (6" x 54), Rated 94. This cigar offers some awesome, tangy maduro flavor similar to other Drew Estates flavor bombs. At $4per, they are a STEAL at Cigar Bid.

Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo Sampler - 5 Cigars (#1234691) - CigarBid.com

Indeed, the Darkies are a very good smoke too. Strong but flavourful. You are there are lots of DE similarities in those.
    A lot of problems in the world can be solved if everyone takes the time to relax and have a cigar.

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast