Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Originally Posted by Stinkdyr Crikey rah, you are certainly taking some hits for the team! I will have to try ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkdyr View Post
    Crikey rah, you are certainly taking some hits for the team!

I will have to try one of those Morro Shacks..........my expectations are safely low.

:-)

No fear. At the very least you will notice one solid flavor throughout the stick. AS good as any mid-level Padilla like the HYBRID, HABANO, or SERIES '68 and as good as most GURKHA'S I have smoked. Will add this one to my daily routine later this month, as a filler stick, in between the 'new' or 'very good' sticks I chain smoke over the two weeks following my monthly delivery. No discipline to smoke just one very good stick a day, then turn to decent favorites. Have to smoke all the new or best cigars first, then smoke the mass quantity sticks until my next delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by gravebelly View Post
    Here are some of the ones I will be trying while some on the list I have already tried in the past. I enjoy trying different cigars I think that is what makes it fun as there is so many different ones to try. Some of these sticks will not be an everyday smoke but then again there are not many sticks that are. I do love mellow/mild in the morning and a stronger cigar in the evening. I already have had most of these sticks waiting at least a week to a 2 months in humidor listed below. I find letting them set for a week does wonders but there are times a new shipment will come in and I just light it up.

Acid Blonde
    Oliveros King Havano Oscuro Monarch
    5 Vegas Limitada ’10 Belicoso
    Padilla 1948
    Arturo Fuente Hemingway signature
    God of Fire 2007 Carlito Double Robusto
    Pardon Serie 1926 40th Anniversary Maduro (I might save this for special occasion costly cigar but probably will light them up).
    Tatuaja Havana VI Artistas
    Tatuaje Miami Tainos
    Man O’ War (several different stick to try)
    Aurturo Fuente Sun-Grown Double Chateau
    La Aurora Cetro
    5 Vegas Gold Maduro
    St. Luis Rey Prequenos
    Gurkha Micro Batch S-2
    5 Vegas Classic “The Judge”
    Oliveros Eight Zero Perferdio
    Mark Twain No.2 and No.3
    5 Vegas Miami ‘M5’
    Diesel Unlimited d.5
    Tierra Del Sol
    Pirate’s Gold #3
    Puros Indios Siembra de Oro Palma Real Maduro

I let certain sticks air out as well. Recall LA ESTRELLA OSCURO smelling like kerosene and was unsmokeable out of the wrapper. Tried another about a week later and the ordure was gone, and it had at least an average maduro taste. Same with my La Perla Habana's. Smoked a Cobre and Rojo the day I got them, and then one of each now that they have sat for 11 days, and can see the difference. Also noticed the Padilla Fumas I had resting for 7 days were a lot darker when I went to add the rest that were still wrapped and in plastic bags. Have yet to try another to see if the taste is any different. Smoked that Morro Castle right out of the wrapper with good results. Same with the Fonseca Arana. Also, I smoked a Gurkha Sherpa's out of the wrapper two weeks ago and did not like the stick at all. My cuz sent me one he had sitting for almost a year. The almost bitter spice taste in the fresh one I had tried to smoke was gone, and the first taste that popped into my head when I torched it was butter, that changed to a mildly sweet rye, or some type of bread taste. Big Difference.

I have tried most of the sticks on your list and liked most. If I can't score enough 5 Vegas Gold or Gurkha Park Avenues, I use Mark Twains as my fall back mild. Have yet to score any Hemingways, Gods of Fire, Padron ser'26, or Pirates Gold. As the first 3 will probably take $10+ bids to win, I won't look to them until all lower priced sticks have been sampled. Still looking for a dirt cheap stick that can at least be compared to 5 Vegas Gold, Park Avenue, Symphony, Mark Twain's, or Rocky Patel Connecticut's. CU-AVANA and ASTRIAL Connecticut's are two options I have eyed to try lately.

Puffer Fish with some spikes canadacigar's Avatar

I thought the RP american market conn. tasted like AIR

Quote Originally Posted by canadacigar View Post
    I thought the RP american market conn. tasted like AIR
    You can use this post to avoid the sticks I mention because you would not like any other mild/medium Connecticuts.

Ya, the Rocky Patel Connecticut has nothing to set it apart from the mid level or just good mild sticks. Hope you weren't expecting boatloads of different flavors in a Connecticut mild cigar? It is as good as Gurkha Park Avenue & Symphony, Graycliff G2, 5 Vegas Gold, Mark Twain, Perdomo Fresco and Slow-Aged, Reposado '96 Connecticut, even Gurkha Beauty(it sold for $2 a stick at CBids last night)and Man O War Virtue. All have a good, creamy tobacco taste with mild spice, but that's it.

Actually, it is exactly what a Connecticut mild-med should offer. Their is a reason every stick I mentioned tastes as it does. I laugh my ashe off when I see reviews from members who bash Connecticut sticks because they lacked flavor and were one dimensional. Ah, that's what was advertised, crisp, creamy woody, or fresh bread, or grassy tobacco flavor? See it all the time. Would love to ask some if they had any idea what they were about to smoke, or do the just compare every stick to Padilla Sig.1932?. The only two Connecticut sticks that I have smoked that are labeled mild-medium, like these, that offered more were the Camacho Connecticut and my favorite stick, Perdomo Res 10th Ann Champagne, that stood apart from these every day, decent mild cigars. Especially Champagne. The taste of Fresh bread mixed with some nut, I have said Cashews, would seem to fit the noticeable flavor it offers. Just smoked my first a few weeks back. Hopefully, some day like Gurkha Beauty, it losses it's moderately high price tag.

I have experienced noticeable periods of dejection now that I have no new cigars to try. I would welcome even an expected Dog Rocket if it were my first. Lack of discipline is the root of these restless negative stretches that fortunately don't last long, thank God. I had gotten an ample supply of 'new' sticks to smoke on April 29th. If I would have set them aside and sampled just one per day, I would have been left with only a week to wait until my May order arrived. But I had to smoke them one after another over the past 8 days, ignoring the 120+ other decent sticks that I ordered. They all had been good enough for me to order again. Even now, when I finish off the last of a five pack, and have no additional sticks from that line, I experience the same thoughts. Sound's like a 'drug habit', minus the physical withdraw symptoms. 19 days until my next order arrives seems like an eternity! I have a few bucks coming in this week. Instead of wasting it on food and utilities, I can claim a dozen of so singles from Cigar Bid and be stable again by the 11th. SO PATHETIC!!!

AH HA! Found a new stick to try. Muddy little fellow called Joya De Nicaragua Fuerte. Just finishing off Graycliff 1666 Toro, so good! This Joya picked my spirits up a bit. Over the past two days I have smoked my last 5 Vegas Gold 6x60 Bullion, Gurkha Park Avenue, and Reposado '96. Also am down to my last my last 6x60 La Perla Habana 6x60 Cobre. Great flavor. Some good looking ideas have come my way. Will look into mostly dark 'firsts' this month.
    Maybe like,
    Don Lino Africa
    Cu-Avana Intenso
    Padilla Cazadores
    Padilla Black Bear
    Particulares
    La Flor Dom Airbender
    La Flor Dom Double Ligero
    Cain 'F' Nub 460
    Cain 6x60 Double Toro
    Angelenos 2009

Any SUGGESTIONS about other singles on Cigar Bid that can be won for under $8 please let me know. I will miss out on some of these and always look to extend my list with members smoking experiences.

It seems like it has been years, as opposed to days, since I have had a 'new' cigar. Have a bud from the hard core forum at CBid sending me a sampler soon. Maybe something fresh to my mouth will be enclosed.

#22 cigar was Joya De Nicaragua Fuerte, 4.5x52 is a cool little stick. Good sweet maduro flavor. Also checked out Dark Corojo. At least one has my name on it. On the Puff 1 to 10 rate system I give the Joya De Nic a '7' and definitely worth a 2nd try. Hope to post soon. Means I have SCORED a BRAND NEW CIGAR! Nothing better.

Maturing Puffer Fish

5 Vegas M5
    By Jose ’Don Pepin’ Garcia
    First off this cigar really surprised me. I lighted up a M5 today after dinner. I did not expect the spicy taste at the beginning. The spice last a few puffs about ½ inch into the cigar. Pepper, pepper and more pepper taste on the next phase. I also got a slight bread taste which was very enjoyable. Pepper kept churning through my nose as I enjoyed every moment of this cigar. I then started to notice that after every puff I got a slight spice at the end of the puff. The smell of this cigar is what a cigar should smell like in my opinion. The taste stayed consistent pepper, bread, and slight of spice taste. You could taste a little earth or least I could. This cigar is a true treat and I plan to stock more. I would consider this cigar full bodied but not overwhelming. The cigar I smoke burned perfect! This is rare but it did happen. This cigar may not be for everyone but it is for me. Happy Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by gravebelly View Post
    5 Vegas M5
    By Jose ’Don Pepin’ Garcia
    First off this cigar really surprised me. I lighted up a M5 today after dinner. I did not expect the spicy taste at the beginning. The spice last a few puffs about ½ inch into the cigar. Pepper, pepper and more pepper taste on the next phase. I also got a slight bread taste which was very enjoyable. Pepper kept churning through my nose as I enjoyed every moment of this cigar. I then started to notice that after every puff I got a slight spice at the end of the puff. The smell of this cigar is what a cigar should smell like in my opinion. The taste stayed consistent pepper, bread, and slight of spice taste. You could taste a little earth or least I could. This cigar is a true treat and I plan to stock more. I would consider this cigar full bodied but not overwhelming. The cigar I smoke burned perfect! This is rare but it did happen. This cigar may not be for everyone but it is for me. Happy Smoking!
    #23-SURPRISE! 5 VEGAS MIAMI M5 or the KNUCKLE, which is even bigger and offers more good flavor. The cigar reminded me of Carlos Torano Fortress a bit.

#24-BUTERA Royal Vintage Churchill, 7.5x48 on the other hand cost me $7 and sells at Cigar Hut, 20 box for $170. YA, ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY DOLLARS!!! HA HA HA HA Are you CRAZY!
    Now I like Full as much as Medium or Mild. Any Cigar absent of bitterness or bad taste is at least OK or smokeable to me. Some mild sticks I have never mind smoking regularly are Gurkha Park Avenue, 5 Vegas Gold, Mark Twain, Rocky Patel Conn or the best Connecticuts like Camacho, Oliva, or Perdomo Champagne. For this stick to be any where near the price of a Champagne is OVER PRICE RAPE!!! You know what they have done. They have gotten bundles of Arganese Connecticut's, relabeled them, and stuck them in a 'ROYAL' wooden box. Just smoked a five pack of Arganese Connecticut's in March. Just rated below the 'good' mild sticks I mentioned above. Very mild tobacco taste with a spicy undertone. What I call a Dog Rocket PLUS. Not bad , but certainly not good. DON'T PAY $7 FOR A BUTERA ROYAL VINTAGE! Get a 5 pack of Arganese Conn at Cigar Bid for the same amount.
    Now I bet the TRINIDAD Connecticut, 5x44 I got here will offer much more. I hope so. This smaller stick cast me $5, so a 7x50 would be about what the Butera goes for. I'll be back with the results!

I read retailers will not be permitted to mail tobacco products to Maryland residents???. That is incomprehensible. Any Puff members in that situation, in need of a link for their on line purchase, let me know. Would be glad to have your order sent here and then use my return addy when forwarding to you. Got some really warped legislatures in office down there.

Enough ridiculous BULL. #25 TRINIDAD Corona, 5x44 is a great little cigar. Good, sold flavor and lasts a while. Did not see any larger Trinidad's on line for less then $5 a stick. But for an occasional Top Shelf Natural smoke, it would be worth the $7 or so for a bigger, more flavor offering stick.

Still trying to forget I 'wasted' $7.20 on that Argansese Connect, er, I mean Butera Royal Vintage Churchill. Could have bought a 6x60 Champagne super toro and been in cigar heaven for a good hour.

Maturing Puffer Fish

[QUOTE=rah0785;3232603]#23-SURPRISE! 5 VEGAS MIAMI M5 or the KNUCKLE, which is even bigger and offers more good flavor. The cigar reminded me of Carlos Torano Fortress a bit.QUOTE]

For some reason the M5 arrived perfect. It was like it was in a humidor for a while. I only put it in for a couple of days in my own humidor. I got so many more to sample. I just tried the Mark Twainn No.3 cigar i believe. It was ok as I was looking for another breakfast cigar but nothing great. I am letting the other one set for a while to see if this changes. I am still loving the 5 vegas golds for breakfast. I like the taste with a good cup of coffee before I start my work day. I got another order coming in Monday to add to my tasting habits. I still have not got through the last order yet but trust me I will get through them as I smoke at least 2 sticks a day sometimes more.

I have an older buddy who is now ordering cigars since i gave him a few. He is around 70 years old. He came yesterday and brought me 5 cigars to sample Indian Tabacc (already tried just did not want to tell him but hey they are good cigars.). I got to work all day and I had promised to ship off an order to the troops today but it may have to wait until Monday.

Thank you for the unexpected tip about Indian Tabac. Am looking to try the Classic, Cameroon, and Super Fuerte. I already smoked 5 LTD RESERVES and liked them. For some reason I have never looked to by any again. Just one of those sticks you don't mind smoking that gets lost in the pursuit of new lines.

I like Mark Twain for a mild cigar. As long as the price is right. The M.S.R.P. on most sticks makes me laugh. $6.50 for a Mark Twain, ah, no thanks . It never claimed to be full of flavors. It's like a generic 5 Vegas Gold. Better then the cheapest Connecticut's like Torano Dominico or Victor Sinclair, but falls just short of the average, good Conn. like 5 Vegas Gold or Park Avenue.

New trade bundle coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will have a brand spanking new stick I have yet to torch.

Size on a stick matters. At times a lot. Noticed I liked 5 Vegas Gold Bullion best compared to the rest. And have smoked all sizes, of all five main lines of La Perla Habana. While the Robusto size is a good, quick smoke, the Belicoso seemed to offer the most flavor until I tried the 6x60 in all lines. Awesome cigars. Double the Robusto size and tons more flavor.

I sent my bud 'jig+pig' from Cugar Bid Forum a lame little sampler two weeks ago. At least lame compared to what was in the box he sent me that I got today. He slapped me back with 17 BEAUTY'S. All, but the fine tasting NUB 358, are basically new to my mouth.

#26 AUGUSTO REYES EPICURE Toro, 6.5x54. AGING is the key. I am finding that letting all sticks you smoke taste better after sitting, at least a few weeks. I actually did smoke one of these right out of the wrapper about a year and a half ago. Except for the 6.5 out of 10 I gave it I recall nothing. Now this stick Joe sent with some aging on it tastes VERY different. Out of the wrapper the Epicure is mainly a mild white pepper stick with no hint of good tobacco taste. Time has brought out a good flavor that combines with the mild spice to make a good cigar I enjoyed very much. Easy bump up to 7.5 from 'average' to 'good'.

I have to torch this CAO Sopranos next. Price has kept this cigar out of my mouth, until now that is. Hope it is as good as the price is high. I am also tempted to finish of this GRAYCLIFF Crystal Series Torpedo. At $22 M.S.R.P. and $15 at C.I., it also has a major price tag to live up too. Hopefully I'll be back with some elated comments!

That Augusto Reyes Epicur has been sitting for over a year in his humidor. Easily explains the vast improvement. C.I. has the 4 pack sampler of CAO Sopranos for $33. May be cheaper elsewhere, but if you have not tried the line it would be well worth the one time price bump.

#27 CAO Sopranos 5x52 Robusto or Associate is a bold flavored little stick. Amount of flavor offered is as good as any premium stick I have yet to smoke. The 6.5x60 Tony would be a smoking event.

#28 Graycliff Crystal Edicion Limitado 6x50 Torpedo is an equally excellent cigar. Sopranos flavor seemed bolder but the Crystal hold it own. $15 a stick is a bit much for me, actually WAY out of my range, but if I had a fat wallet I wouldn't mind a 2nd smoking.

#29 Cusano Corojo '97 is also a good cigar. I smoked it in between those two flavor monsters which was an error on my part. These are sold-out in all sizes at C.I. If I found them at another retailer for $3 a stick I would not mind another sampling.

Think I will wake up to a Camacho Limited Corojo Torpedo. Looks like the perfect partner for French Vanilla Flavored Espresso!

#30 CAMACHO LIMITED COROJO is just another Camacho. Nothing special when compared to other Camacho's because the 4 others I have smoked have all been very good cigars. This stick screams the same. Heavy draw and excellent flavor.

As does,
    #31 BABALU 6.5x54 Tropicana is a huge surprise. Can only wonder why Holt's cigars has the monopoly on these sticks. 20 for $45 is an awesome deal. Now these were aged about a year, so out of the wrap they may just be a 'good' cigar. Honestly could stand up to a premium stick any day. Should win the best $2 stick award easily. Guess the Ricky Ricardo hitch scares some smokers away. Glad by bid Joe likes trying Hollywood sticks.

Quintero Maduro and Cuba Libre One booth look excellent as well. Hope they are!

Trying to score my 'old' number one, Montecristo White. Cigar Bid has them up rarely. Big 40, 5 pack special. My bid is already pushing $19 a pack with 3.5 days to go. Does not look good at this point. Will for some bidding wisdom and a little luck!

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast