Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Originally Posted by rah0785 Thank you for the unexpected tip about Indian Tabac. Am looking to try the Classic, Cameroon, ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    Thank you for the unexpected tip about Indian Tabac. Am looking to try the Classic, Cameroon, and Super Fuerte. I already smoked 5 LTD RESERVES and liked them. For some reason I have never looked to by any again. Just one of those sticks you don't mind smoking that gets lost in the pursuit of new lines.

I like Mark Twain for a mild cigar. As long as the price is right. The M.S.R.P. on most sticks makes me laugh. $6.50 for a Mark Twain, ah, no thanks . It never claimed to be full of flavors. It's like a generic 5 Vegas Gold. Better then the cheapest Connecticut's like Torano Dominico or Victor Sinclair, but falls just short of the average, good Conn. like 5 Vegas Gold or Park Avenue.

New trade bundle coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will have a brand spanking new stick I have yet to torch.

Size on a stick matters. At times a lot. Noticed I liked 5 Vegas Gold Bullion best compared to the rest. And have smoked all sizes, of all five main lines of La Perla Habana. While the Robusto size is a good, quick smoke, the Belicoso seemed to offer the most flavor until I tried the 6x60 in all lines. Awesome cigars. Double the Robusto size and tons more flavor.

To be honest I love the Indian Tabac series. I gave him a few in the past and he liked the (Cameroon Legend by Indian Tabac but it was a 6" x 58 in size). The ones I had before smoking were a pure treat. What really shocked me was the Mauduro as I figured I would not like it. I am still trying to find a better tasting Mauduro for the price. He gifted me a Cameroon Legend series with a few others. I smoked the ones below from a sample pack I ordered in the past:

5 of Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend Super Toro Maduro (6" x 5
    5 of Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Gordo Maduro (6" x 5

Plus you get

5 of Rocky Patel Sun Grown "The Sixty" (6" x 60)
    5 ofRocky Patel Vintage ’92 "The Sixty" (6" x 60)

I think the size of the cigar may have had something to do with it but not sure? These smokes burned so slow and even and I spent around an hour or hour and half on each.

If I could ever find this sampler Rocky Patel 'Big Ring' Mega-Sampler - Cigars International patel smapler again I would buy. I am hoping auction site puts them up in the future but I have not seen them. I will say this was one of the best samplers I have bought in the past before finding out about the sister site. In fact the only sampler that i do not feel bad about paying what CI asked for in price. I encourage if you find this for a good price you will not go wrong or kick yourself in the butt. I cant seem to find the Indian Tabac in this guage size other then the sampler pack. I should not have to introduced the 92's alone in the pack and the sungrowns as they already have a name for themself in the cigar world. The 92's is still one of the best cigars in the evening time that I wish had more of in that particular size. I still have not found a better tasting sungrown yet but that could be becasue of the nice size that RP put in the sampler. Hell I might have to pay full price to get them again but I am waiting to see that deal pop up first. I dont believe in full price but this sampler is sure one of the ones that are close to worth it in my book. Each of those smokes are an hour plus from my experience.

The Mark Twain cigars were not bad but I am like you in the sense of never paying full price for them not worth it. I scored a few for a buck on aution site. I was seeking another choice for a breakfast cigar. They seem to lack flavor compared to the golds for breakfast. They are not bad though for what I paid and sure have tasted worse.

I am also like you on Victor Sinclair. They are not my cup of tea. I have tried almost the whole line up when CI ran a special on the boxes then gave a sampler of 15 pack up grade. I am glad I tried them but I just will not buy again. I was really disappionted with there line up but they did have a few not to bad cigars.

Thanks again for your reviews so far!
    Last edited by gravebelly; 05-15-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Rah or Rich (whichever one you like to go by)

I also have some more cigars coming tomorrow should be here by UPS around 5 or earlier. Anyways I won more for another shipment after this one. This will be my last as my wife has chewed my ass out. I did however try to tell her it was for a friend. I have not lied to her about anything like this for years so I will have to calm down for at least 2 weeks as I do have 20 some sticks coming tomorrow and 72 sticks (so far) coming the following Monday. I ended up just telling her the truth now things are good. She does however realize this is the only thing that does help me with stress. I come home and she realizes I have had a bad day almost everyday due to nature of my job (very high stress job). I am surprised I am not medicated so that is were my cigar smoking comes into play to help me wind down or get me thought the work day.

I also liked the 5 Vegas Classic Bullion size but they are also known as 'The Judge'. They are way better then the smaller classic in in my opinion and burn so well.

Speaking of the Bullion size 5 Vegas. I should not have to tell you that size does matter in the Gold world. I won 20 Bullion Golds yesterday for 43.00 bucks which is not bad. I did not overpay but could have probably got them for 37.00 bucks in the future but did not want to run out of the morning coffee and breakfast cigar ritual.
    5 Vegas Gold Bullion (20) - CigarBid.com

Another thing CI has a make an offer page (located under cigars tab then go to make me an offer and enter in cigar you want) and sometimes they will accept your cheap offer. I got 40 golds (No. 1 series) for 80.00 bucks and totoal price was like 86 bucks and change for shipping. Roughly I paid about 2 bucks a stick that burns for an hour plus and has way more flavor then the short sticks for breakfast. The 5 Vegas No.1 Golds are a huge 7.5 x 54 and burn forever. I only have about 7 left out of that order. I recommend this size as well.
    ASP-5GA7554-105 Vegas Gold Series No. 1 10-Pack
    10 CIGARS (reg.$49.50)4044/15/2011$20.00$80.00

I was in a panic of running out of golds and I ended up going to make me an offer because I thought I would be outbid on the auction site. I only offered 30 bucks for 20 of the No.1 Golds. I hope they refuse or else I am in more trouble lol.

The Bullion does give a lot of flavor. The No. 1 size does to just as a heads up on the golds. It is either the Bullion or No. 1 in the gold line up for me as the smaller ones just dont last as long and the larger ones offer more flavor imo.

Let me know if you find something as flavor as the golds for breakfast. I am not looking something bold in flavor as I have plenty of sticks for the evening that will do that job. I just like a gold taste early in the morning. I am up for any suggestions that is comparable (as good) to a gold for breakfast.
    Last edited by gravebelly; 05-15-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I would like to also suggest the Diesel Unlimited if you have not tried. 5.5 x 5.4 I smoked burned for an hour! I could not believe a cigar of this size burning that long. This is one of the first cigars to be a smaller size to burn very well and for an hour plus. These are hard to score under 3 bucks though. The first light up was almost overwhelming of spice but calmed down enough after 3 to 4 puffs. This is a wonderful cigar in the evening for a good change up of something different. I am not going into detail as the description is dead on in the CI review link posted below.
    Diesel Unlimited - Cigars International Unlimited

I smoked the d.5 size and have only a couple left. I have a few of the d6 (gordo better known as bullion size in vegas terms) d7( 7.0 x 5.8 church hill size), and dx (5.7 x 5.6) on the way soon. I am going to compare if size matters in this series and will let you know. I was very impressed with the flavor of the d.5 and how long it lasted to be a smaller stick. I like all types of flavors in the evening but this one just made my day a few times last week. I was glad to get a smooth spice taste throughout of the cigar that was strong but not overwhelming. I am kind of tired of pepper taste in the evening as I have so many pepper based taste cigars. I highly recommend even if you just smoke one of them. Let it set for aout 2 to 3 days in humidor and you should be good to go. If you do not like spice then stay away from this cigar. I am surprised that this cigar is not more expensive MSRP then again MSRP is a joke.

I scored 5 Graycliff Profesionale Series torepedo that are 90 bucks for 5 of them at CI. I got them for 19 bucks so we will see how that goes as far as tasting rituals

I am afraid though with future cigar legislation on top of the bad economy taxes may eat me up in the future. This is why I am trying as many as possiable and I might just buy up a huge load of cigars to stock before my hobby is more limited.

Quote Originally Posted by gravebelly View Post
    I would like to also suggest the Diesel Unlimited if you have not tried. 5.5 x 5.4 I smoked burned for an hour! I could not believe a cigar of this size burning that long. This is one of the first cigars to be a smaller size to burn very well and for an hour plus. These are hard to score under 3 bucks though. The first light up was almost overwhelming of spice but calmed down enough after 3 to 4 puffs. This is a wonderful cigar in the evening for a good change up of something different. I am not going into detail as the description is dead on in the CI review link posted below.
    Diesel Unlimited - Cigars International Unlimited
    I scored 5 Graycliff Profesionale Series torepedo that are 90 bucks for 5 of them at CI. I got them for 19 bucks so we will see how that goes as far as tasting rituals
    I am afraid though with future cigar legislation on top of the bad economy taxes may eat me up in the future. This is why I am trying as many as possiable and I might just buy up a huge load of cigars to stock before my hobby is more limited.
    Never fear. Retailers will find a way to keep getting sticks to us at good prices. Still, you are very smart to stock up, and let as many sticks as you can score age. Wish I had the same option. And Diesel Unlimited Churchill, 7x58, is bigger then the Beli you listed, and offers excellent bold flavor. Love Unlimited and Unholy Cocktail as well. Graycliff Prof Series is like every other Graycliff I have smoked. A good cigar that is way over priced. I have tried to claim a few of any size at a $15 max bid and failed every single time.

Also have a bid on the Indian Tabac Cameroon's you mentioned. Would be nice if they were at least as good as the LTD RESERVE I liked. I have 16 new singles with new bids on them. Bin on a lot of '2nd time smoking' sticks like Don Lino Africa, Morro Castle, Man O War Virtue, Trinidad, Graycliff Crystal Edi Lim, CAO Black, and some monthly favorites like Diesel Unlimited, Padilla Sig '32, Mark Twain, Torano Fortress, Nub Conn, and Graycliff G2.

Your the one that won the lone BULLION 20 lot. VERY LUCKY. Hope I can win 20 before the week is out at the $2 free-fall price they offered them at last week. Perdomo Champagne is my favorite stick over-all, but 5 Vegas Gold is my daily favorite, or at least one I would not mind smoking often. Still on a sampling thrill ride-

#32 CUBA LIBRE ONE Churchill is another good sized flavorful stick. Enjoyed it very much. At just under $4 I would definitely give it a 2nd smoking.

Same with #33, 5 VEGAS 'A', 5.5x55. Not a bad maduro. Good flavor. Not top shelf, but not to be expected. At less then $3 a great cigar I could smoke daily.

#34 GURKHA MASTERS SELECT Robusto, like the Conn. Reserve, is a good cigar. Offers a solid and noticeable flavor throughout the entire stick. Again, at the right price would be an excellent daily cigar

#35 Quintero Maduro is a smooth, sweet tasting maduro stick. Good taste that seems medium. Down to an inch still wanting more.

LOVE Connecticut's so I may take a break and partake of the last two in my inventory. Perdomo Slow-Aged, not top shelf, but still good enough.

Then rest up a bit before torching this dark horse Santa Rosa Cuba Churchill.

Only have two more 'new' sticks to smoke. Then it's back to Dog Rocket Plus cigars until more enjoyable stock arrives, hopefully soon, from one source or another.

Santa Rosa Maduro, #36 was the 'weakest' of the new sticks I tried. Could get the sucker to stay lit. Let it sit for about 6 hours and tried again. Still had to re-torch 3 or 4 times. Left a full 2.5 inch nub, big for my nubs after I gave up when it fizzled out again. Not a 'bad' maduro, but not worth a about 5 or 6 re lites either. Can't enjoy every stick. I would smoke it again. Maybe let it dry box for a couple months. Will give my local B&M a walk by tomorrow and just maybe take one more plunge. This sampler pack Joe sent was excellent. Will be trading up some sticks with fellow member 'gravebelly' in a week of so. Already stressed I am 'blown out' as far as 'new' sticks go, at least for now. Starting to feel like work.

Some of the usual, economical daily favorites would be perfect.

Actually glad I got this out of my system for now. A mild and mellow break of Gurkha, 5 Vegas, Rocky Patel, Perdomo, and other Connecticut's, or natural sticks, sounds like a welcome change.

emk
    broke but smoke

Rich,
    You should be a monthly cigar program. CI gives 4 a month for $20 or those 4 x 2 = 8 for $30. Mix of new cigars, established names.

Quote Originally Posted by emk View Post
    Rich,
    You should be a monthly cigar program. CI gives 4 a month for $20 or those 4 x 2 = 8 for $30. Mix of new cigars, established names.
    Ya, that would be a good idea. I did look at the add once before. Just don't like entering into monthly deals, even though you can cancel at any time. The one month I did not have the cash in my checking account to cover the sticks would be the month I forget to call and cancel.

My friend Gravebelly is send me an emergency sampler to hold me over until my month Cigar Bid fiasco for May comes to an end. Did however visit one of the declining, smaller walk-in smokes at Giant Eagle. Every since 'Vegas' Bill stopped being the regional supervisor of the Giant Eagle chain stores that had smoke shops that have all regressed noticeably to more generic selection, never having one single sale or special. Can't imagine who still orders the same lines over and over now, with nothing ever new displayed. After I saw them letting the cashiers up front price tag each stick and then re-box them when they were not busy my opinion of the few in this area has sowered. I did find one single new brand on the shelf that worked out very well. Anyone that likes 5 Vegas Gold Bullion, or any other 'big' Connecticut from Gran Habano, Gurkha, Rocky Patel, or Perdomo would like,

#37- BLOOMS 6x60 Connecticut fatty. Produced by Bloom Cigar Co. here in Pittsburgh, I got 5 of the to hold me until Friday for $5 each. Not bad at all off the retailers shelf. Could be re banded as 5 Vegas Gold Bullion probably with no notice to the smoker. Produces the same mildly spiced, creamy clouds of good natural tobacco flavor. Very smooth for over an hour. They sell at Blooms Cigar Store on line or you can visit "Cigar Heaven" and their huge store on the South Side here in Pittsburgh. Can get a bundle of 25 of these biggie's for $75. Not a bad lot to fall back on if my inter net purchases slow down.

Also picked up a Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte, 6.5x48 Barcelona for some good, bolder flavor. Actually had to return a cigar, my first ever, a expected to be perfect' CAO GOLD 7x48 Churchill, after getting into better light, and noticing 5 or 6, inch long thin cracks down the foot of the cigar and one in the middle. For $6.75, despite the fact the stick was solid and soft, I had to get my loot back and buy another BLOOMS, mainly because it was the very last CAO GOLD of any size, beside the empty ITALIA box and a scrappy looking BRAZILA box with maybe 2 or 3. So SAD.

Wonder if V.S.O.P. from Thompson, Connecticut and Maduro are smokeable, or Victor Sinclairs BOHEMIAN 6x60 Connecticut? Smokeable meaning no bitterness or bad after taste. I am sure some or most lack taste, but when compared to other mid level, decent Connecticut mild sticks like 5 Vegas Gold, or Perdomo Slow-Aged, or ESV'91 2nds, Oliva Connecticut Reserve, Rocky Patel Connecticut, or Gurkha Park Avenue, Symphony, or Connecticut Reserve. Not on an even plain with some of these, but comparable as a generic or Alternative.

Every retailer has their own hoard of "Dog Rocket PLUS" brands. Looking to try the PALMA REAL 6x60 PORKY from C.I. as I read it can be considered a 5 Vegas Gold Bullion alternative. Also will look to the VICTOR SINCLAIR Connecticut Churhcill, Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend, Signature Collection Salomon, Brocatus Churchill, and for a little more quality 5 Vegas Gold Maduro, Gurkha Black Dragon, Kinky Friedman, Oliva Serie O, Particulares, Pinar Del Rio Double Oscuro, Rocky Patel Double Maduro, Troya Legacy Napoleon, and a 2nd smoking of an AWESOME stick I just tried, only the TRINIDAD 6.1x58 Belicoso will last much longer, and offer tons more great flavor then the Corona that left me wanting so much more. I need some quick details on any of the sticks I have mentioned fellow smokers. The information would be greatly appreciated.

Other stick's in the Thompson Catalog I need to find info on-
    DON OSVALDO 6.5x52 Conn Torpedo
    DON ELIAS 6.5x53 Natural Torpedo
    EL ARTISTA BAMBINO 6.5x52 Natural Torpedo
    G.A.R., Nicaraguan Puro wrap 6x54 Rico Grande
    DON RAFAEL,6.5x52 Connecticut Torpedo
    ESCUDO CUBANO 4x54 Connecticut Perfecto
    GURKHA EUROPEAN Select,7.5x52 Connecticut Churchill
    ENCORE, 7x50 Connecticut Churchill
    CHAVON GOLD Sumatra 5.5x60 Corona Grande
    SMOKIN' 66, 6x66 Natural
    PINAR DEL RIO VALUE LINE, 6.5x52 Connecticut Torpedo
    BIG DOG 6x60 Connecticut
    NITRO 7x52 Natural Double Corona

Maturing Puffer Fish

Rah,

Hope you enjoyed what I sent. A lot of freebies and some good sticks. I would like to know more about Thompson as well as I do not have a lot of experience with most of their sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by gravebelly View Post
    Rah,

Hope you enjoyed what I sent. A lot of freebies and some good sticks. I would like to know more about Thompson as well as I do not have a lot of experience with most of their sticks.
    I know I will enjoy what you sent. Have yet to smoke a 'bad' cigar gotten at Cigar Bid. and,

I have never ordered from Thompson either. They have a good price on Gran Habano Connecticut factory overruns, and Gurkha European Select Connecticut and Maduro. And countless $1-$2 sticks of all wraps, and like C.I. or JR, have a few that are decent enough to smoke. I need to get a catalog from 'Best Cigar Prices'. Talk about a ton obscure or unpopular lines of cigars. Only other retailer I sampled in detail besides C.I. and JR was Famous Smoke Shop. They did offer Baccarat Sumatra which is a good cigar, priced around $2.10 for the big 8x52 Presidente, that I smoked often. The regular Baccarat line King's, 8.5x52, are also good cigars for $3. Beyond that, I ordered bundle after bundle of cigars that had extra ordinary product write ups, but were simply very bad cigars. I mean bad taste came with ALL brands I smoked, like Famous Nicaraguan, Hondorun, and Dominican, along with brands like Pai Gow, Juan Y Ramon, Maroma Dulce, Isle Del Sol, Caridad Sumatra, Creme De Jamaica, Bayamo, Aspira Corojo, and Don Mateo. Box after bundle of cigars, with not one even offering even a decent mild spice or tobacco taste. All were the contrary with one bad tasting stick after another. Gave up after 15 or so low cost brands like these.

That is why I am so afraid to dump $50 for 40 at Thompson. They do offer some samplers with the sticks I listed. If no Puff forum members offer any info, I will eventually score one or two that has the most of what 'LOOKS' decent. One thing I have liked about C.I. is they do list the obvious Dog Rockets as being such, or at least say, "what do you expect for a buck" on the questionable sticks. Yet some for a buck like Padilla Fumas, Maxim's, and Pioneer Valley are smokeable, and offer some hint of something above nothing, and never anything bad.

NOW GIVE ME THAT SANCHO PANZA EXTRA FUERTE before I hit the bed! Great stick to end the day with. Be back Friday with any 'new' lines 'T' may happen to have sent me. Have a good evening!

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

I have had experience with Thompson. The samplers I have gotten in the past,for me,and I can only speak for myself. Not a bad on in the bunch. Never had a bad experience with Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by mturnmm View Post
    I have had experience with Thompson. The samplers I have gotten in the past,for me,and I can only speak for myself. Not a bad on in the bunch. Never had a bad experience with Thompson.
    GOLDEN CLASS DOMINICANS, 20 Toros for $29.95 has a product write up that represents a good cigar. Heavy notes of Toffee and Cream, and so on. Now I guard against hype like this from being a 'victim' of dozens of similar reviews that held not one true word. And my standard are low, no bitterness or noticeable bad taste give any cigar a 'smokeable' grade.

They have tons of FINE looking cigars for under $2-
    LA CAYA Connecticut Torpedo at $2
    A.O.A. Connecticut Torpedo at $2
    NITRO Natural Double Corona at $2
    V.S.O.P. Natural Double Corona at $2
    COSECHERO Connecticut Churchill at $1.50

If these smoked as good as they look they would gems worth twice as much.
    and 40 good looking Torpedo's for $69 + a 20 stick cherry-wood humidor.

40 good looking Churchills for $65.

Just looking to know which, if any, of the dozens of value line cigars Thompson sells that differ from other retailers can maybe even be considered 'good' beyond just being smokeable. thanks

WON my first 'NEW' sticks for the month,

INDIAN TABAC CAMEROON Legend, 5x52, 5 pack, on a recommendation. Indian Tabac Limited was a good smoke. Like most Cameroons. See if this Eco priced line is decent.

What about BOHIEMAN BAMBOO, 6x60 by Victor Sinclair? Are they decent and smokeable? Looks like a fine Connecticut Mild fatty on the lines of 5 Vegas Gold or Gurkha Park Avenue. I need to know. A purchase of 20 or 40, or any at all depend on what is relayed to me here. Thanks for any details about the cigars quality, or lack of. Rich

Have not had much time to smoke today. Only two so far. Need to catch up tonight.

I owe the next few days of smoking to my friend Terrence "Gravebelly" and the fine 20 sticks sampler he sent to me.

the #38 was my first PIRATES GOLD Big Boys Limited. I think it was a 5x64 Corona Gorda. Good enough to look to the 7.6x62 Diademas. Good mild tobacco flavor with zero bitterness.

and #39 was one I have wanted to smoke for quit a while in the

GURKHA Micro-Batch Liga s-2 Torpedo- Another good Gurkha. Mildly spiced with a creamy tobacco taste provided by the Sumatra wrap. At the right price it is worth a 2nd smoking.

Lots of new sticks to sample,
    Beautiful looking ROMEO Y JULIETA Viejo 6x54 Epicure
    Elegant looking OLIVEROS King Havano 6x54 Monarch
    5 VEGAS GOLD MADURO Torpedo
    CUBA LIBRE Brute
    PERDOMO TIERRA Del SOL Maduro
    PUROS INDIOS Siembra de Oro 7x42 Palma Real
    INDIAN TABAC CAMEROON LEG Robusto Grande
    CASA FUEGO 6.5x52 Toro
    and VICTOR SINCLAIR Vintage Box Pressed.

ALL BRAND NEW, and coming to you, after I enjoy them.

Still need any knowledge about Vic Sinclair's BOHEMIAN Bamboo 6x60 stick?
    Good, Bad, or just a lot of smoke?

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast