Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ROMEO Y JULIETA Viejo, 6x54 Box Pressed Epicure, #40, is an excellent cigar. A very solid combined maduro/caramel as the ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

ROMEO Y JULIETA Viejo, 6x54 Box Pressed Epicure, #40, is an excellent cigar. A very solid combined maduro/caramel as the product write up details. At $6 at C.I. I would buy it now and then for a extra fine cigar. Would buy it like mad at my usual $3 or under budget limit.

and #41, CUBA LIBRE'S, 4.5x60 BRUTE is good as well. A noticeable peppery cigar that combines spice and creamy mild tobacco flavor very well. The 6..2x54 Torpedo would be a nice try for a longer smoke. Definitely worth a 2ND smoking.

and #42, INDIAN TABAC CAMEROON LEGEND, 5x52 Robusto Grande is very good for a $2 cigar. If it cost more is could still claim to be average. More medium spices with a solid Cameroon warp taste. I LIKE IT!! That 6x58 Super Gorilla must be a nice fat smoke. But this maduro has a good taste well. I seem to like Cameroon & Corojo wraps best. That CAO Cameroon look awesome and will fall victim to my sputtering JR jet lighter. And the Camacho Corojo I smoke last week was a piece of work as well. And the La Perla Habana Morado's African Cameroon rates as an excellent smoke as well.

Won so many new sticks this past week. From May 30 on I will be a chain smoking fiend due to the...
    Gurkha Beast-should be good
    Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Torpedo-looks good
    Trinidad Belicoso-excellent cigar
    La Flor Dom Airbender Valiente-better be good for the price
    Kinky Friedman Governor-all the hype has died out at CBid
    Particulares Torpedo (that I have read has to age a while)
    Oliveros Black Night Toro-looks good as well
    Oliva Serie O & Serie O Maduro-always good
    Victor Sinclair Connecticut Churchill-Dog Rocket PLUS?
    Astral Connecticut Figurado-Dog Rocket PLUS?
    Palma Real 6x60 Porky-Dog Rocket PLUS?
    Troya Legacy Napoleon-who knows?
    Brocatus Churchill-Dog Rocket PLUS?
    and ten Double Happiness, 10x48 sticks, Diesel, G2, Achilles, Man O War, Gurkha, 5 Vegas 'A' I can tell from the labels. I would never cut the stick in half.
    Gave winning a Fuente Hemingway Masterpiece, 9x52 by best shot. Claimed the stick at $9 with a max of $13 and lost it at $14. May give $15 a last minute shot if other bids elsewhere fail. Seeing C.I. sells the stick for $12.50, and it only retails for 14.50, I don't want to get to stupid.

Maybe I will give a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro Torpedo a puff in a bit

What is wrong with #43, J. FUEGO CASA FUEGO, 6.5x52 Toro? Nothing at all. C.I. has these priced at $5 a stick. Are they worth that much. Close. Very smooth, creamy flavor that is a combo of mild chocolate, fresh beard, and light spice. I was surprised my the creamy after taste. This gets a 3.5 out of 5, which means I will be getting some next month. If it came in 6x60, I would probably give it a 4 with the extra flavor the bigger sticks often offer. That means most of you should try one of the other 42 sticks I have listed. This cigar is definitely not for you, trust me.

Think I will enjoy the "best looking" stick I have seen in a while, OLIVEROS KING HAVANO MONARCH. Have only smoked the Classic with less the satisfactory results at a 2 rating and the Habana Cuba, which was at least good at 3.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    What is wrong with #43, J. FUEGO CASA FUEGO, 6.5x52 Toro? Nothing at all. C.I. has these priced at $5 a stick. Are they worth that much. Close. Very smooth, creamy flavor that is a combo of mild chocolate, fresh beard, and light spice. I was surprised my the creamy after taste. This gets a 3.5 out of 5, which means I will be getting some next month. If it came in 6x60, I would probably give it a 4 with the extra flavor the bigger sticks often offer. That means most of you should try one of the other 42 sticks I have listed. This cigar is definitely not for you, trust me.

Think I will enjoy the "best looking" stick I have seen in a while, OLIVEROS KING HAVANO MONARCH. Have only smoked the Classic with less the satisfactory results at a 2 rating and the Habana Cuba, which was at least good at 3.

My order of samplers (singles) that I donít remember trying coming Monday but I know I have already smoked a few of these listed. I won some singles then of course a bundle of another cigar that I try to keep in rotation for mornings. Nothing probably impressive but we will see as I always get excited about a new cigar I have never had in the past. I did not get to spend that much this time but hey I cannot complain and will post anything that deserves a shot.

I might break out a King Havano after dinner never tried as far as I can recall. The J. Fuego Casa was a pleasant surprise. The creamy after taste was something I did not expect but sure did enjoy. If the King Havano taste as half as good as it looks then it will be great guess I will test later and see if I would ever order anymore or not. If not maybe I could order some as house decorations kind of like the fake fruit in a bowl I use to see at my grandmothers home growing up.

More psycho bidding at Cigar Bid...
    Carlos Torano Dominoco, 7x48 Churchill are a decent cigar for a buck, fifty. The Quickbuy price is $9.50 a 5 pack. 'Nuff Said. I feel very bad for the fellow that all six five packs at $17 each! WHY? WHY!!!??? A daily $1.50 average price stick, nothing special at all. Not even as good as 5 Vegas Gold or Park Avenue. What makes this EVEN WORSE is a 20 bundle of the same Churchills closes in one hour at $25. And a much better Gurkha Park Avenue Churchill closed at $9 per five pack. This could be the worst over bid for a Dog Rocket PLUS I have ever seen.

and GRAYCIFF Torpedo's,TWO, one 1666 Line and one Prof Blue Series. Average for the 2 sampler is $7, rarely $10. Up to $19 to win. The 1666 PGX Maduro line sell for about $2 to $3 daily. The Professionale Blue Series is a bit higher at about $4 per stick. But $19 for two is simply, well, not something most people would do, EVER!

They would enjoy #44-OLIVEROS KING HAVANO MONARCH. Smokes as good as it look. Nice smooth flavor for under $3 is worth a 2nd smoking.

and #45, 5 VEGAS GOLD MADURO Torpedo. Like smoking a smooth, creamy 5 Vegas Gold Connecticut with a Maduro wrap taste added. Great combo. For $2 it is an excellent smoke.

Finally, #46 PERDOMO TEIRRA DE SOL MADURO is not set apart as much from it Natural line. The Maduro wrap does not stand out enough, actually hardly at all. This would not be good except for the fact that the main line is a decent cigar. Not on my favorite list but easily smokeable.

One to go in Victor Sinclair Vintage Box Pressed. Again, looks nice.

Made a very successful trip to my local B&M scoring 15 sticks for $46. Found a "Diamond in the Ruff" as my idle reviewers at Crap Cigars would say, mad by Camacho no less. The new #47- OUTDOORSMAN, 8.5x52 Presidente. Did not have the 6x60, new favorite size. Very good cigar. Mildly sweet, medium brown Corojo wrapper has a solid creamy tobacco taste that is combined with a espresso or cocoa. The only on line retailer I have seen carry them yet is 'Carey's Smokeshop, 20 bundle of 6x60 for $43. Excellent price for a good cigar. Like Gurkha, don't recall ever smoking a bad Camacho.

Will follow up my first smoking of the magnificent CAMACHO Connecticut. Got a beautiful looking 7x48 Churchill. Down to the last 4 inch's of my OUTDOORSMAN monster and still liking it very much.

Also scored some 6.5x43 FUENTE CURLY HEADS for $2.50 each. One Drew Estates La Viejo Habana Corojo, 7x52 Churchill, one nice looking Cigar Express, Smoker Friendly house brand called DOMICICAN GOLD Series, 7x50 Churchill.

And for proven quality a 4 Robusto pack of two CAO GOLD and CAO GOLD MADURO, which I have yet to try for $14.95. 3.75 for CAO Robusto's is a decent price.

5 new sticks, one already in the bank as a great $2.90 big stick. By days end, or midnight, I hope to have one of each torched under proper smoking conditions, mainly my smoke drenched with a clean, fresh pallet

This CAMACHO Connecticut Churchill is not as good as the 6X60 Figurado. Because you don't get as much tobacco! Otherwise is it perfect.

Another $3 surprise. Last thing I thought is the Cigar Express Smoker Friendly chain of store would off er good, solid mild, medium flavored cigar. Their
    #48---DOMINICAN 'SF' GOLD 7x50 Churchill is one good cigar. Mildly sweet, creamy Tobacco flavor that could stand up to Vegas Gold or Park Avenue any day. For $2.90 it will be on the emergency buy list from now on, along with the better buy CAMACHO OUTDOORSMAN.

Up next, a 'want to try for a long time' CURLY HEAD!

Cant go wrong with #49 CAO GOLD MADURO ROBUSTO if you are looking for a smooth tasting 40 minute smoke. Did not like it as much as CAO GOLD CONN, but aside from
    Perdomo's
    Champagne, I don't like any Connecticut as much as CAO GOLD!!!
    Perdomo
    ESV'91 2
    nds
    come in a close 3rd as far as fine tasting
    Connecticut's
    , with Camacho, La Perla
    Cobre
    rounding out a very debatable top 5.
    Forgot to note number 50, Victor Sinclair 6x44 Vintage Box Pressed is not a bad cigar either. Reaches medium in taste like a dark brown stick should. At the right price a good daily cigar.

As are #51 FUENTE 6.5x43 CURLY HEAD Natural. Solid tasting tobacco I could smoke all day long, one after another. Very good cigar. Could not keep them stocked if they made larger sizes. Not sure why they don't. At 2.50 I can score these in a pinch locally. Cheapest price I could find on line was from
    GOTHAM Cigars, 40 for $79.99. $2 is a great price.

Last is #52 LA VIEVA COROJO 7x50 Churchill was also a good cigar. Would love to try the 60x60
    Gordito
    . A good solid flavor, a lot like the Sinclair Vintage, medium strength. Liked the
    Corojo
    better then the
    Maduro
    . Still have to try the Cameroon and Connecticut's.

Still have two good tasting Camacho OUTDOORSMEN 8.5x52 sticks to
    hold
    me until later today. A
    small
    box from my
    cuz
    in
    Texas
    will have a few I have been aching to try like Joya
    De Nic
    Dark
    Corojo
    . If it is as good as the
    Fuerte
    B and
    Classico
    I will be pleased.

Cant go wrong with #49 CAO GOLD MADURO ROBUSTO if you are looking for a smooth tasting 40 minute smoke. Did not like it as much as CAO GOLD CONN, but aside from Perdomo's Champagne, I don't like any Connecticut as much as CAO GOLD!!! Perdomo ESV'91 2nds come in a close 3rd as far as fine tasting Connecticut's, with Camacho, La Perla Cobre rounding out a very debatable top 5.
    Forgot to note number 50, Victor Sinclair 6x44 Vintage Box Pressed is not a bad cigar either. Reaches medium in taste like a dark brown stick should. At the right price a good daily cigar.

As are #51 FUENTE 6.5x43 CURLY HEAD Natural. Solid tasting tobacco I could smoke all day long, one after another. Very good cigar. Could not keep them stocked if they made larger sizes. Not sure why they don't. At 2.50 I can score these in a pinch locally. Cheapest price I could find on line was from
    GOTHAM Cigars, 40 for $79.99. $2 is a great price.

Last is #52 LA VIEVA COROJO 7x50 Churchill was also a good cigar. Would love to try the 60x60 Gordito. A good solid flavor, a lot like the Sinclair Vintage, medium strength. Liked the Corojo better then the Maduro. Still have to try the Cameroon and Connecticut's.

Still have two good tasting Camacho OUTDOORSMEN 8.5x52 sticks to hold me until later today. A small box from my cuz in Texas will have a few I have been aching to try like Joya De Nic Dark Corojo. If it is as good as the Fuerte B and Classico I will be pleased.

Who gets to smoke a

La Aroma de Cuba Marquis 5.5x48 tubed darkie

or a FAT Padilla Series '68 Black Bear 6x60 or

a Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo 5.5x55

or a Arturo Fuente 7x46 Privada?

I do. I wish you all were too. I'll let you know if they are the expected DOG ROCKETS I think they are.

PADILLA SERIES '68 Black Bear, 6x60 is another good cigar from Padilla. Should be enough to satisfy any smoker weather they prefer full, med, or mild. Good solid flavor throughout with a long slow hour plus burn. As I have two it will definitely be a 2nd smoke. Had to put the 'new' lines on hold to partake of an old favorite, the near perfect HOYO EXCALIBUR. Of all 4 lines I like the Cameroon best. Besides the Excalibur's I have not smoked any other Hoyo's, at least that I can recall.
    Will make it a point to look to the de Monterrey, La Tradicion, Dark Sumatra, and the new Reposado.

# 54 LA AMORA DE CUBA MARQUIS Tubos, 5.5x48 is a good tasting stick from Don Pepin. Sell for 10 for $50 at Best Cigar Prices. If my some miracle cigar bid starts posting them I may get another smoking.

#55 QUORUM 6x50 Toro is not a bad mild smoke. As good as MarkTwains and just a notch below 5 Vegas Gold or Gurkha Park Avenue. Offered a the usual creamy mild taste with lots of smoke. Burns hot and fast though. Enjoyed mine in the car so that had something to do with the not so ideal smoking conditions. At 20 for $30 they are a god value line stick.

Have a few others to try that I got from my local. One I won't be smoking again is # 56 Cuban Castaways. Cigars looks like it would offer some dark brown flavors a Sumatra or corojo wrap would offer. Not much in taste at all. Letting it sit in the humidor would not help this type of stick either. So far 3 of four value line sticks from my local have been very smokeable.
    Last edited by rah0785; 05-24-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: left spell check on. post was mucked up

ANOTHER low cost gem from Cigar Express.

Their HONDURAN GOLD line, #56, offers a creamy, mildly sweet. good tobacco taste. Smoked the big 8x50 size. Excellent cigar at $2.90. Following that one up with a 2nd smoking of a beautiful LA GLORIA CUBANA 7.3x54. Excellent cigar.

#57 JOYE DE NICARAGUA OSCURO, 4.5x52 is a solid tasting bullet. Better then the other Joye De's I have smoked, which were both good. Solid flavor for $3 cannot be beat. Have one more value line stick to try from my local.

Lucked out and scored the VERY LAST bundle of Chamaco's OUTDOORSMAN, 7x48 churchills, 25 for $41. Want to try the FLOR DE OLIVAS, but they are not sold in singles. Why not open one bundle and price them 50 cents more per stick? No imagination. Like most smokers, I want to try a stick before dropping near $50 for a bundle. After my experience with Famous Smoke I will NEVER buy a box/bundle of any stick unless I try a single first. Unless Perdomo comes out with another Champagne line or special edition.

Ask and you shall receive. That all depends on what you are asking for and who you are asking.

Just smoked the Don Pepin stick La Aroma De Cuba Marquis last night. Popped up on Cigar Bid today. Already up to $4 with 4 days to go. Seeing it only sells for $5 don't expect it to clime much higher unless common sense fails.

and #58 Cigar Express DOMINICAN SERIES Chrurchill, like their Dominican Gold series, is another good cigar under $3. My 10% off discount takes away the local 7% tax which would not be bad if I sent any real money their. Will look to Friday for some fresh, new sicks.

So along with QUORUM and the OUTDOORSMAN I have 4 solid sub $3 sticks I can score at my closest dealer.

How about I left the spell check on one post I made yesterday afternoon that posts the words I mucked up in single lines in nice correction colors.
    What a dumb-ass!

JR SELLS SINGLES NOW!!! A very detailed and decent price list!

Combine them with Cigar Bid and you could have endless sampling!

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    PADILLA SERIES '68 Black Bear, 6x60 is another good cigar from Padilla. Should be enough to satisfy any smoker weather they prefer full, med, or mild. Good solid flavor throughout with a long slow hour plus burn. As I have two it will definitely be a 2nd smoke. Had to put the 'new' lines on hold to partake of an old favorite, the near perfect HOYO EXCALIBUR. Of all 4 lines I like the Cameroon best. Besides the Excalibur's I have not smoked any other Hoyo's, at least that I can recall.
    Will make it a point to look to the de Monterrey, La Tradicion, Dark Sumatra, and the new Reposado.
    I justlove that '68 Black Bear!

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast