Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; This is a sampling of things to come. My bro is smoke gravebelly sent me a MAGNIFICENT lot today. All ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a sampling of things to come. My bro is smoke gravebelly sent me a MAGNIFICENT lot today. All sorts of shapes, sizes, colors, and big names.

#80, Padilla's Achilles 7x58 Salomon is a fine looking cigar. I love Salomons/Figurado's.
    Just scored 20 of these big boys on Free Fall for $40. Can't beat that. The two he sent me are a sampling of what I can expect from my score. Extremely glad I took the plunge. A very good tasting fat tipped stick. Would smoke them every day at $2. I will keep this short. Their are plenty new sticks waiting! AND.....

THE GURKHA TASTER'S CLUB takes effect tomorrow but lasts only two cigars. Oh well, a short smoking of the EVIL & NINJA, brand, new to my pallet, I am sure will be better then no smoking at all. I will suggest next time the taster club has to send at least 4 sticks of each brand us Taster's to get a supper-clear taste routine going if we are going give our HONEST and LEGIT details of the fine looking cigars GURKHA produces. BYE

OH MY, #81 Rocky Patel Connecticut 7x48 Churchill could be the 'sweetest' tasting Connecticut I have smoked that does not have a sweet cap. Very good cigar.

Looking at a beautiful 6x60 Patel Sun Grown. It will not be around come morning. Count on it.

CIgar Bid has been harsh these past 3 days. Would anyone every believe they would place 'ghost' bids on certain lots that have been going for peanuts? Of course they would. If they 'win' their own sticks they just post them again the next day. Do they do it? I, any no one else has any idea if they do. Keeping daily chart of the closing amount of lots is a full time job I do not mind at all. Their has been a MAJOR spike upward in winning bid amounts on all sticks, down to hardly average cigars becoming victims of CRAZY over bidding. Some examples of good, buy very average cigars that closed out this week at INSANE amounts.

Perdomo Slow-Aged 7.5x52 Churchill 5 packs closed at $17. The Quickbuy price is $10.
    Mark Twain No.2---7.5x52 Five packs close at $16. Never thought it could be possible.
    I won a 20 box in April for $31!

Reposado '96 Habana 7x58 Figurado 40 box closes at $91. Maduro closes at $97.
    Quickbuy for both is $85. Two 40 box's were won over the weekend for $64 & $67!

Rocky Patel R4 Corojo 7.5x52 Double Corona 5 packs close at $19!
    Three 20 boxes of various sizes of this same stick all closed under $34 last weekend!

Have about 55 more that closed above the Quickbuy price.
    Stopped counting at 50 for the 'premium' lots like Padilla Sig '32 & Miami or Camacho's and so on that all closed above the Quickbuy price.
    Hell, even a 20 box of 5 Vegas Gold 7x50 Churchills closed at $58! Quickbuy is $42.50. Over bid on a cigar like this??? or a Mark Twain or Slow-Aged???
    It is out of the norm, at least dating back to early May, when I started charting closing bid amounts. Who knows.

Never been a HUGE fan of Rocky Patel cigars. Like them of course but never seem to look to them for smoking pleasure. That said, I finished one of the eight 6x60 cigars from the awesome sampler gravebelly sent to me.

#82, Rocky Patel Sun Grown 6x60 Double Toro is a 3.5 out of 5, and makes for a solid hour of juicy tobacco pleasure. Cigar starts off dry but that changes quickly and you get a solid flavor and naturally sweet tobacco flavor to the nub. Draw was off the mark as stick was to moist, but no major issue. Will let the other 'dry' out a bit before ending it's existence. What to smoke next. A La Perla Habana Cobre 6x60 Perfecto? YES!

#83, Rocky Patel 6x60, Vintage 1992 actually reminds me some of the Sungrown but not as sweet. It seems to have more flavor and the draw is perfect so I can force the flavor out. Hard to believe it was stolen for under $3. I have no idea what to smoke next. I am smoking the GURKHA NINJA Perfecto I received in the mail tomorrow. Until then I will just close my eyes and pick a stick.

#82, GURKHA NINJA, 6x60 Perfecto, was a gift from Gurkha after being selected to be one of the chosen few in the GURKHA TASTERS CLUB. Facebook seems to be the on-line point for cigar delivery updates. Anyway, do you think if I offer up a 'bad' commentary about this dark beauty they would fire me? Don't know for certain. In this case I have no worries, due to the fact that the NINJA is a very good cigar. All the superficial attributes when compared to taste, like construction, burn, and draw, are great, as they have been with all Gurkha cigars I have partaken off thus far.

The NINJA offers what I noticed to be two very good combined flavors that are tamed by a awesome natural sweetness. Tastes of cocoa and coffee with a mild spice blend to offer one solid sweet flavor. The juicy sweet tobacco taste kicks in after only a half inch at most. I let the cigar sit out in 60% humidity for about 24 hours, checking the sticks wrap every few hours to make certain it was not hardening. Wanted to ensure a good draw. I would give the Gurkha Ninja a 4 out of 5. It is definitely worth a try. I am lucky enough to have two, and have no 2ND thoughts when it comes to a 2ND smoking.

#83, INDIAN TABAC MADURO, 6x60 - Talk about a fat flavor bomb. Very sweet tasting Maduro. Would compare to most premium sticks. For $2 it is a marvelous smoke and worth a 2nd, 3rd, even 4th smoking.

Still have a scary GURKHA EVIL Toro to torch. Looking forward to that VERY MUCH!!

Lots of new stick arriving next week. 3 or 4 'dog rockets plus' up for smokeable approval and about a half dozen premium sticks I hope smoke as good as they look.

Have a good weekend!

#84, GURKHA EVIL ROBUSTO, 5x50 - Where do they get these names. Nothing EVIL about this stick. Smoked the 6x50 Toro Saturday, and this Robusto first thing Sunday morning. Great cigar to wake up too. Like the 6.5x53 Torpedo I smoked a few weeks back, these two were very smooth smoking cigars. Sweet maduro taste, about medium strength, great draw and burn as well. The best price I saw on line for these gems was as at Atlantic Cigars. Could be why they are sold-out of most sizes. Cigar Bid, as usual, offers them most times at under $5 a stick. Definitely worth a try.

Looking forward to next Monday. Have more Gurkha's coming. The two blends every other month the Tasters Club sends me is hardly enough to satisfy. Went out and scored

Gurkha Viper Robusto
    Gurkha '8 Year Aged' Legend Box-Pressed Toro
    Gurkha Gold Collector Edition Robusto #4
    and Gurkha Beauty. Cigar International has these at 10 for $49.99. Excellent deal.

Also have an older, every day favorite, Gurkha Cuban Legacy 7.5x50 Churchills, coming that I practically stole at $1.80 per stick. Still need to my hands of a Gurkha Castle Hall 7.1x58 Salomon. This was a good smoke in the 7.5x52 size. All that flavor funneling back from a 58 wide ring into a 43 draw hole can only improve the sticks taste level.
    OH, I almost forgot. I WON a 10x48 Gurkha Blue Steel and a 10x48 Gurkha Red Steel??? OK, must be a one blend shot for the DOUBLE HAPPINESS sampler I had to try. Instead of smoking 2 cigars in a four hour period to start the day I will smoke one single cigar over a four hour period. Sounds good to me. Would never even think about cutting these in half. Perfect as they are. Just be certain the time is set aside to finish the job. My pleasure.

Won't get these 'beauties' until next Monday. Will have plenty other 'new' sticks to sample in the mean time starting Wednesday.

#85, PINAR DEL RIO Seleccion Reserve Limitada, 6x50 Toro, not a bad smoke at all. Spice is not overpowering, but noticeable, to go along with a good Habano wrapper flavor. Great cigar for just over $2 at C.I.. Famous Smoke has a box of 20 going for over $110!
    Not this boy. Then again I have been spoiled by Cigar Bid.

and surprise, surprise, a neat little 5 pack containing 5 awesome looking cigar from by bud 'Convict' at that tough guys forum. One was the good Pinar Del Rio I am enjoying.

Another is a $25, MSRP cigar called GURKHA CREST Torpedo. I love Gurkha cigars. Would I pay $25 for any cigar, no. I will let you know if the Gurkha Crest changes that fact.

Also got a old favorite, Gurkha Park Avenue Churchill and my number one Perdomo Champagne 5x54 Robusto, excellent.

And the very last Padilla I need to have smoked too have sampled the entire Cigar Bid lot, the Obsidian, was also included. Nothing better then unexpectedly getting 5 fine cigars

#86, PADILLA 'OBSIDIAN', 6x54 Belicoso.....Man, Corojo wrapped cigars can be SO good. Just like the Padilla Obsidian. Love this size as well. 54 ring seems to be big enough to get the powerful draw I like. Even better then the 60 ring. Very smooth, creamy, deep flavor. Reminded me of Camacho Corojo. Excellent cigar. 4 out of 5 is VERY GOOD!

The Gurkha Crest Torpedo is almost ready. To moist. Had to put it our actually after 10 puffs. Will give it a 50% Humidity quick-dry, checking it's critical condition on the hour!

#87, GURKHA CREST Torpedo, 6.5x52-- is good like all other Gurkha cigars I have smoked. Had to let this one dry out 24 hours at low humidity. Could have used even more dry time, but the draw was at least good this time. I read it is only a limited release. Good taste that should satisfy any mild, medium, or full strength smoker. As for the price, well, that is each individual buyers business. Unless the Tasters Club gifts me some of these higher priced blends, I will have to stick with the $2.30 Gurkha Park Avenue on Free Fall now. No complaints at all. Sadly lost all 8 of my Gurkha Beauty's to a $6 bidder. I'll survive. Was worth a shot at $5 a stick for sure.

Last week of the month means NEW CIGARS!!!

Anyone smoke any of these;

Rocky Patel R4 Corojo 7.5x52 Double Corona
    Graycliff Turbo 10x48 or 6x60
    Victor Sinclair Bohemian Bamboo 7x50
    Gurkha Blue Steel 10x48
    Man O War 10x48
    Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo 7x50
    Victor Sinclair 10th Anniversario 7x50
    Man O War Ruination 10x48
    Victor Sinclair Connecticut Yankee 7x50
    Gurkha Red Something?? 10x48--Master Selects??? Have to dig deeper.
    Double Happiness Connecticut 10x48
    Victor Sinclair Serie '55'--Corojo 7x50--Oscuro 7x50--Cameroon 7x50--Sun-Grown 7x50
    Victor Sinclair Bohemian Corojo 7x50--Brazilian 7x50--Oscuro 7x50
    Don Elias Churchill 7.5x50
    Hesitant Pirate Chruchill 7x50
    Flor Del Todo No.4--6x44
    Indian Tabac Classic Chief 7.5x52
    John Bull Prime Minister 7.2x54
    Pirate's Gold Big Boy Piramide #1--7.2x62
    Occidental Reserve Churchill 7x50
    San Miguel Toro 6x50
    Kinky Friedman Special Edition 'Big Richard' 6.5x54--My personal stick thank you.
    Gurkha Gold Collector Edition Robusto #4 6x50
    Occidental Havana Sun-Grown Churchill 7x50
    Oliveros Eight-Zero Torpedo 6.7x52
    Gurkha '8 Year Aged' Legend Box-Pressed Toro 6.5x50--boy that is a long time!!
    La Flor Dominicana Air Bender Villano 7.5x38
    Tatuaje Ambos Mundos Robusto #2 5x50
    A.Fernandez Sumatra Salomon 7x58
    Perdomo Reserve Golf Edition Iron 5x54
    Angelenos 2009 Gran Toro 6.5x54
    Oliveros XL Double Corojo '55' 6x55
    Don Lino Africa Kuro 4.5x44
    Cugine by Arganese Torpedo 6.7x52
    La Differencia Cubana Presidente 8x50
    Chateau Real Gran Templar 6x52

Anyone?? Over the next two weeks I will be torching these 41 brand new sticks. Anyone else is welcome to chime in on any new sticks you are trying over that period as well. Can't believe I am the only member who enjoys sampling at least a dozen, or 3 dozen and a half, new lines every month. Did not plan to win any singles this month due to a VERY LEAN budget. So much for 'plans' going out the window, along with the money for the gas, electric, and water payments. dumb ass!!!

Keeper of the Cheaper snagstangl's Avatar

let the pirates gold sit, along with the flor de todo because they are reyes cigars and you will likely be let down if you dont. Connecticut yankee was really awsome, the one I had i have 4 more of course, La differenencia cuba dont taste bad but they have one very light note so dont expect much
    Indian Tabac classic- smoked ROTT tasted bad, revisted a few months later and it was an awsome corojo. John bull was a pretty good mild cigar, i was surprised at the price.
    Why doesn't everyone think I'm as funny as I do, it must be them.

Thanks for the details. I have noticed most bargain sticks have to air out at least a week to take any edge off. Actually some premiums do as well. Best example I have is the Devils Weed line currently sold at C.I.

Out of the wrapper it offers a BAD AFTER taste. Queen Bess and Robusto are both the same and both bad. Even after several weeks still BAD. However, I gave away the last 3 Robusto's of the 5 pack I had too a bud who smokes anything. He smoked two and let the third sit in the top drawer of his desk in the wrapper, in a closed C.I. baggy, for over 5 MONTHS!
    I was running low a month back and he said he had one left I had given him, a Devils Weed. I said "I gave you those stick just after Christmas, 6 months ago!!!" He dropped it off later that day. Cigar was still soft with no cracking or drying, perfect actually, and you know it turned out to me a mild, very smooth smoke. 100% bad taste gone. Still not worth a 6 month wait though, if you get my drift.

Most Victor Sinclair cigars are considered borderline premiums. The Vintage is good actually. The Conn. Yankee mentioned will be smoked within the hour. Just finished off the #88 new brand I have since starting to post, Vic Sinclair Bohemian Bamboo 7x50 Churchill. If you enjoy mild, like 5 Vegas Gold, Gurkha Park Avenue & Symphony, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Mark Twain, Perdomo Slow-Aged, you would like Bohemian Bamboo. Offers a mild tobacco flavor and unlike a lot of 'cheaper' Connecticut's, is not loaded with a heavy spice. I want to try this blend in the 6x60 that C.I. has had on sale for nine months now for $39.99. Not a bad filler cigar at all.
    Same with #89, Double Happiness Connecticut, 10x48 I think by A. Fernandez. Had to try these long dogs at $2.30 a stick, another Cigar Bid steal. This cigar is the Connecticut in the 10 lot other then the Graycliff G2. This 10x48 cigar smokes very well. Perfect actually. This Connecticut blend would satisfy any smoker of the above mentioned lines. Just about as good actually. Nice creamy tobacco flavor with great draw. C.I. has then for $39.99. Well maybe, but 10 for $23 again for sure. Next up another Vic Sinclair MASTERPIECE, the Connecticut Yankee, and per snagstangl, it will be a decent smoke.

#90, VICTOR SINCLAIR CONNECTICUT YANKEE, 7x50 Churchill was a dam good Yankee as was declared. The best of the 4 Vic Sinclair lines I have tried thus far.
    Cigar offers a deep, creamy taste created by the Havana seed Connecticut wrap.
    Very good smoke. Counters the statement I made in my prior post about "border line premium" cigars. Both the Vintage and Connecticut should be considered premium sticks. I want the Vic Sinclair Triple Corojo next, maybe in the early AM. Held off from buying a 20 lot of the 6x60 at Cigar Bid for just under $35. Was it a mistake? I will find out soon.

Keeper of the Cheaper snagstangl's Avatar

Im glad im not the only one who was impressed by the Yankee.
    Why doesn't everyone think I'm as funny as I do, it must be them.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast