Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Originally Posted by snagstangl Im glad im not the only one who was impressed by the Yankee. I would find ...

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

Quote Originally Posted by snagstangl View Post
    Im glad im not the only one who was impressed by the Yankee.
    I would find it hard to believe anything negative said about the cigar. Would not be a legit or realistic opinion.

But, #91 VICTOR SINCLAIR TRIPLE COROJO 7x50 Churchill is another story. Nothing 'triple' about this cigar. Smokes well with a creamy, mild taste, and I mean just mild. Lacks the flavor level the Connecticut Yankee & the Vintage offer, which is noticeable and good. Would not have been a complete disaster if I had invested in the 6x60 size, but would not have led to a 2nd purchase. Then again, maybe a 6x60, and more tobacco would raise the flavor level to at least average.

Think I will torch one from top shelf, at least in price anyway, and burn the 10x48 Graycliff Turbo. So far I have smoked two of the 10x48 Double Happiness cigars, the 2nd being the Graycliff G2. Both have been near perfect thus far. No issues at all about length or construction. If you like an hour and half of smoking, these are a perfect option. Looking forward to the 10x48 Diesel and Gurkha Blue Steel.

#92, GRAYCLIFF TURBO, 10x48. Like the Graycliff 1666, an excellent cigar. Talk about a juicy tasting Habano wrap. A bold, dull sweetness throughout all 9 inch's. Sadly had to discard a bot more than an inch. AND I got 5 more of the 6x60 TURBO Torpedo's coming next week. Only thing better would be if I had 10 coming next week. A big Rocky Patel R4 Corojo Dble Corona is in line to disappear before this day is through.

#93, ROCKY PATEL R4 COROJO Double Corona, 7.5x52. A very healthy sized cigar. It offers a flavor as big as it's size. A winner from Rocky Patel. Should send some of his wraps to Vic Sinclair. Cigar humor. The ONLY REASON I still buy from Cigar Bid is because I can get cigar like this R4 for $2. Well worth the pain and suffering of their sad Customer Service and handling and shipping procedures. Guess the have enough $500 a month customers that losing one here and their because of a lack of any quality effort means little. They don't have to say so. Their actions say it for them. SOOOO BAD.
    This Rocky R4 has a solid, sweet, mouth watering flavor that lasts the whole stick. Will add to me daily line up if possible.

The time has come. Cannot recall when I have looked forward to smoking a cigar with such anticipation and expectation. Stand back, and light up a....

Perdomo Reserve Champagne Noir, 6x60 Super Toro. Taking the finest Perdomo makes and adding a thick, triple fermented Maduro wrap to this awesome tasting cigar can only mean one thing. Or at least should, that being a NEW FAVORITE!!!

#94, PERDOMO RESERVE CHAMPAGNE NOIR 6x60 Super Toro.

Took a good hour to down the fat boy. An excellent cigar. Did I enjoy it better then the regular Champagne line? No. Either the Maduro wrap drowns out the unique flavor the Champagne offers, or their is some other difference in the cigar I do not know about. While 5 Vegas Gold Maduro does resemble 5 Vegas Gold to a degree, the Champagne Noir, while smooth and flavorful, does not resemble the Champagne in any way that I noticed. Never the less, an excellent cigar I would be more then glad to smoke any chance I get. I got the Champagne Noir in a sampler from my bud at cigar bid;s forum, Joe, jig+pig. Once again he shocks me with tons of colors from Montecristo Media Noche 7x58 Churchill to Alec Bradley 7x58 Curve MAXX to CUVEE Blanc 7x50 Churchill. Over a dozen beauty's similar to these. Can't get any better.

#95, CUVEE BLANC 7x50 CHURCHILL, Unlike the over priced Diamond Crown and Butera, Cuvee Blanc lives up to it's $7+ price. Very good Connecticut cigar. Unique taste that is not drown out by plain old spice that floods Butera and Diamond Crown. These do not seem to be sold by any major on line retailers. I do believe my local Smoke Shop has them. Would not think twice about grabbing one for a 2nd smoking.

I don't live in a Brick House, but I do own a 6.2x60 Mighty that look mighty good.

Puffer Fish with some spikes canadacigar's Avatar

Wow dude how many smokes do you have per day? I am following your posts and like them very much. Keep er up!
    Looks like you are more of a conn man. Not so much maduro.
    I am looking for a nice conn to buy a box. What do u recommend ???
    U were talking about the vegas gold and perdomo champagne 10th...

Quote Originally Posted by canadacigar View Post
    Wow dude how many smokes do you have per day? I am following your posts and like them very much. Keep er up!
    Looks like you are more of a conn man. Not so much maduro.
    I am looking for a nice conn to buy a box. What do u recommend ???
    U were talking about the vegas gold and perdomo champagne 10th...

DAM! I just typed you a short story sized response, and this computer kicked me out and I lost it. I will just list the groups of Connecticut's and their qualities. Remember too sample any stick before buying a 20 or 25 box. My like of Connecticut cigar is general to a degree, but still may be slightly off the mark for you. These are in close order with the best being 1 on down.

The Best tasting Connecticut cigars I have smoked-
    1-Perdomo Reserve Champagne
    2-CAO GOLD
    3-Camacho Connecticut
    4-CAO Black
    5-Man O War Virtue

The Best Connecticut's that are full flavored with a perfect balance of spices and tobacco flavors are-
    1-Montecristo White
    2-Excalibur
    3-Excalibur 1066
    4-Gran Habano Blend #1
    5-Gurkha Beauty

The Best Connecticut's that offer their own unique, and very good taste, that differs from the sticks I have already listed-
    1-Cuvee Blanc
    2-La Perla Habana Cobre
    3-Sancho Panza
    4-Acid Liquid
    5-Arturo Fuente Curly Heads

The Best every day Connecticut's that have a good taste that is comparable to the best in every way-

1-Perdomo ESV'91 2nds
    2-Oliva Conn Reserve
    3-Rocky Patel Conn
    4-Perdomo Habano Natural
    5-Perdomo Fresco
    6-Nubs
    7-Perdomo Lot 23
    8-5 Vegas Gold Churchill
    9-Gurkha Park Avenue
    10-Gurkha Symphony
    11-Reposado '96 Conn
    12-Gurkha Conn Reserve
    13-Graycliff G2
    14-Perdomo Slow-Aged
    15-Mark Twain

The cigars on this list are not set apart by any major degree of quality difference. All are good smoking Connecticut cigars.

And the Connecticut's that are smokeable, with no bitterness or bad after taste, bust just fall short of GOOD in some way are-

1-Leon Jimenes
    2-Gispert
    3-Carlos Torano Dominico
    4-Pioneer Valley
    5-Victor Sinclair Conn
    6-Astral Conn
    7-Palma Real (6x60 is ok though)
    8-Fonseca
    9-Quorom

I believe any I put on this last list would be enjoyed by anyone who likes Connecticut mild cigars as a regular smoke. As I said, sample the brand first. The more sampling you do only leads to wiser choices, and allows you to weed out the sticks that fall short.

THANKS Rich!

Yes, I really enjoyed the CAO gold. I have only had one, but it was a bit of a "wow-factor" for me when I smoked it. I have been on a bit of a maduro kick or DPG kick I should say. smokin cubao maduro-a sweet ass cigar, spicy and complex. 601 blue label -awesome DPG creation and some Jaime Garcia reserva especial. And CAO maduro and brazilia.... too many maduros lately and wanna walk on the mild side.
    Think I will torch my last CAO gold tonight after dinner. only got 2 in a sampler and tempted to buy a box.
    I thought you love 5 vegas golds from prev. posts... but you didnt put on the top of your list?
    those nickles 5 by 55 look yummy. YOu try all 5 vegas gold sizes? notice a difference?

Do love 5 Vegas Gold. Like I said on the 'good' bunch, not much separates them. All about the same, and all good.

And yes, their is a noticable differance in flavor in the 5 Vegas Gold Churchill. It sits apart from the Torpedo, Fifty-Five, and Bullion. Why? I have no idea. I would take a 7x50 Churchill over any 5 Vegas Gold size. Best deal I have seen on CAO Gold is at C.I. or Famous Smoke, who is closed right now, 10 pack of the 6x60 for $43.50. Would love to torch a 6x60 of that line. Not a bad price at $4.30 per stick. Will some day. CAO Black is just as good as CAO GOLD. Have been scoring a few 5 packs a month at Cigar Bid for about $3 a stick. Had the 6x50 Bengal last month. Excellent cigar. Perdomo ESV'91 2nds are very flavorful as well. Same with the Perdomo Fresco, which I call a generic Champagne. And it is one of the BEST deals I have going right now, being 25-- 6x54 Fresco Torpedo's for $48 at Best Cigar Prices!! They will be mine next month. The Torpedo tastes better then the Churchill when it comes to that stick. Torpedo seems to be the best size I have smoked for EVERY stick. Usually 54 ring worth of flavor being funneled back through a 44 draw makes for more concentrated flavor. Was my opinion until I read it as a fact recently. Logical.

Didn't know cao gold had 6 60. I have had the robusto size think 5 by52

So u think churchill vegas is best eh? They have 20 buillion vegas the 6 60 for only 28 bucks on cbid!! That is sick. Must be bundle. They are cheaper than toro box. I would be will to split with u on ur next purchase

Oh ya, and Perdomo Champagne 6x60 is up at CBid right now for the first time ever, only two 5 pack lots. Have yet to kind the Champagne 6x60 sold anywhere but 24 boxes. Most good Connecticut sticks have a 'monster size. Olive Conn, Rocky Patel, and Camacho Conn 6x60 are all good. Reposado '96 Connecticut is very good as well. A sampling of any would show you what I say is true.

News flash. After a double taste test by two experienced Connecticut cigar smokers, the 5 Vegas Gold 6x60 Bullion and the Palma Real 6x60 Porky are nearly indenticle, the same, no major difference except the price. Shoot me your addy and I will forward you a couple Palma Real Porky's to smoke the same way myself, and gravebelly (member here) did, the Bullion first, and the Porky a few hour's later. You will be hard pressed to say the $2.50-$4 Bullion is really any better then the $1.30 Porky. I sh^t you nit. Used it to replace the Bullion as my Connecticut daily early last month, along with the Reposado '96 Connecticut Figurado. Just like Vegas gold, nice smooth and creamy tobacco taste for a lot less coinage.

And #96, MONTECRISTO MEDIA NOCHE, 7x58 Churchill is another fine cigar from Montecristo. Smooth as silk with mild maduro taste and spice. What a cigar. The C.I. product promo is right on the money this time. If you pay the $10 a pop you won't be disappointed. And speaking of good Connecticut's, the grand Gurkha Beauty, 6.5x56, is on Free Fall dropping to just under $33! A Beauty for $3.30. Amazing!

Anyone ever read the on-line PDF Cigar.com monthly Catalog? Talk about in-depth detail about cigar after cigar, month after month. Went back to June, 2006 to read up on

#97, CAO Cx2, 6x54 Toro. I believe that the 54 ring is the best size to smoke. Not as bulky as a 60 ring and gives you better drawing power 50 ring or less provide. CAO 2xC would be a good smoke in any size. Excellent cigar, perfect actually. Thick, full cigar that offer a double blast of Cameroon. Good solid flavor all the way through. This one I smoked had been in my buds humidor for several years, like most of his sticks. A great smoke. Give this baby a 4 out of 5. Maybe the 7x60 MAXX attack will commence before this day is done.

Scored some 'extra' stick I had been meaning to try, and now will. Four Augusto Reyes 6x58 Gordo cigars, Epicure, Criollo, Nativo, and Grand Cru. Also won El Mejor Emerald 7x50 Churchills and Padilla 1948 Edicion Limitada 5x50 Robusto. I have one more shot today with about $50 to spend. Maybe Perdomo Champagne 6x60 Super Toro, which has been on my radar for month. Or one box win, or maybe 3 mid level 5 packs?? See what is up for the winning.

#98, Alec Bradley's MAXX 7x58 Curve is a winner. Perfect cigar in make and draw. I thought the flavor would be bolder by the look of the stick, but like the Montecristo Noche, was smooth and crisp, even mouth watering with good medium taste. For under $6 at C.I. it would be a decent buy. Looking forward to trying the Connecticut I saw at my local. Soon.

and #99, Leon Jimenez No.1, 7.5x50, is a decent medium cigar as well. First inch is bland with no taste at all. Then a good tobacco flavor kicks in and farther down the stick a mild spice is noticeable. I do not notice many mild-medium Connecticut cigars that actually develop as they are smoked. Most offer one solid take from start to finish. The stick finally added a sweet touch to the last 3 inches. That being said, recall that the cigar starts of with nothing appealing, and shortly their after comes to life with what a decent Connecticut should offer. Strange. Just cut off the first inch and you will have a good smoke from start to finish instead of near start to finish.

and the last and best of the lot is NUMBER 100, Perdomo Gran Cru Connecticut 6x54 Torpedo, is an excellent Connecticut cigar. Great taste from start to finish. Good, crisp tobacco flavor not drown out by over bearing spice. If this this stick was in my daily price range I would be smoking them often. 4 out of 5 easy.

Have a good looking Felipe Gregorio Felipe, 6x58 ready to go next. Don't jump the gun. I smoked the above sticks all before midnight yesterday. Have not been on an all night toking binge. later.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Not hijacking Rahís thread just throwing up a few reviews I tried this week. Did not see a point in starting thread on reviews. If you mind Rah let me know I am sure you dont care though. Nice reviews so far you cigar nut

Ashton Connecticut (Churchill 7.5 x 52). I would consider this borderline top shelf cigar if not top shelf. One of the top Connecticut cigars out there in my opinion. I smoked this in the car for an hour and a half or right at that time length. Was it worth the price of 11.25 at B & M? I do not know but would by again if I could score them cheaper. This cigar was rich in flavor. The flavor never died or had moments of missing flavor. I would consider this mild to medium cigar. This cigar was smooth all the way through the smoking experience with no sign of harshness at all.

Burn: Flawless
    Construction: Flawless on the one I smoked

Flavor: creamy, hint of coffee, hint of cedar, and a sweet taste after each puff. All of these flavors in 1 cigar.

Score: The blend is unique for a Connecticut cigar. While this was mild it was a great mild cigar almost pushing to the next strength of being above mild. The smooth draw and taste throughout that any cigar lover could appreciate. My personal score without misleading anyone would be 90 to 92 easy for a Connecticut cigar.

Wish: If things go well will be picking up more in august (a box). The price may be steep but if deals arise on line I will have some in humidor. The blend is what makes this cigar so surprising for me. I just canít explain why I love it other then what I have mentioned above.

Arturo Fuente Rosado Gran Reserva (6 ľ x 52).

Fact: Not sure how true this is but only available in certain cigar shops. Cigar is limited release. I have to buy more soon and stock up a few for special occasions.

Flavor: When I fired it up got a hint of leather, spice, and sweetness at one time. I experienced a sweet Carmel taste with hint of spice and I mean good spice. On top of that got a little coffee hint of flavor combined. Almost felt like eating the cigar it tasted so good. I picked up a slight vanilla taste but not real noticeable. Canít get over the sweetness with this cigar. It was not the overbearing sweetness just darn good! It was a natural sweetness not a pour some sugar on me sweetness.

Score: My score would be 90 plus due to unique taste and one of the most enjoyable cigars with a unique taste. Would and will buy again at local store. Canít find online if I do find them cheaper I would reserve a box.

Got more to review just throwing these up there on Rahís thread for now. I have the Cargo and 4 others to review.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary (7.0 x 54).

I canít say anything else that has not been said about this cigar. This was a bigger cigar than the Epicure I tried. Out of the 2 sizes I would take either one of them. One of the best Connecticut cigars around. Just a superior cigar with a decent price tag. This cigar should be priced higher but no complaints here as they are not totally cheap. I did pay more at B&R for this beast. The Churchill burns for a good while and I enjoy cream and honey like taste. I noticed though I got hints of slight spice that was amazing with the blend. Once again if you have not tried you donít know what youíre missing. I got one more to burn and that will be today and then they are all gone.

Cargo (By Rocky Patel I did not know this at the time) 6 x 58

The pre-light draw was woody, earthy, and maybe a little fruity. I experienced a good cigar for the price. I would buy again. From what I read it is made of the 1961 and 15th Aniv blend. There is a mystery falvor of slight fruit not sure what it is but good. This is a mild good smoke. Paid 5 bucks at B&R and would not mind scoring a box for price. Taste like a 8 buck cigar.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast