Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

New cigar sampling routine/habits

This is a discussion on New cigar sampling routine/habits within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; In February, I began making it a point to sample at least 10 new brands or lines of cigars each ...

New cigar sampling routine/habits

In February, I began making it a point to sample at least 10 new brands or lines of cigars each month. Started a week early in April, using my B-Day last Saturday as a personally valid excuse. I can't recall a week like this past one when I had sampled so many good sticks. Saturday I made a B-Day trip to my local B&M and purchased an OLIVA CONNECTICUT RESERVE 6x60 Double Toro, which was a very good mild cigar. Followed that with a OLIVA SERIE O Torpedo. Good smoke. Not as good as Serie V. Also got a four Toro pack of EXCALIBURS. New in that samplers was the CAMEROON, the best taste of the weekend, AWESOME. Also very good from that lot was the DARK KNIGHT. Excellent maduro.

Paid them another visit Monday and sampled CAMACHO CONNECTICUT 6.2x58 Figurado. To that point the best Connecticut wrapped cigar I have smoked. Yesterday I got the urge once again, only this time I did some driving to the South Side here in Pittsburgh to Puff N Stuff, biggest walk-in humidor in the area. First stick smoked from their was PERDOMO RES 10th ANN CHAMPAGNE Robusto. Better then CAMACHO CONN. Offered more flavor then any Connecticut I have smoked. Directly followed that with the obscure PERDOMO FRESCO Churchill. Cost half as much as Champagne, but was still very good. Late last night I tried 601 BLACK Natural. Not bad. Nothing special. Won't smoke again. Today I started with TATUAJE AMBOS MUNDOS HABANO Grande #1. Talk about a great tasting cigar. Smoked it down to one inch. A few hours later I tried WARLOCK Toro. Again, not bad. Got better the 2nd half. For near $7 won't smoke again. Last excellent stick I smoked late this afternoon was EL BATON Toro. Reminded me of Carlos Torano Fortress a bit but better.

That is the end of my paying $6 and $7 a cigar for quit a while. Tomorrow afternoon I start my 2nd weekl with my Cigar Bid order delivery. New sticks I will be smoking over the coming weeks that hopefully will have some "worth a 2nd try" cigars are-

Padilla Miami Robusto
    Padilla Dominus Perla
    Padilla 1948 Lancero
    Padilla Series '68 Golden Bear
    Padilla Fumas Torpedo
    Padilla Single Batch #17 Toro
    Padilla Habano Torpedo
    Graycliff 1666 PGX Toro
    Gurkha Park Avenue Maduro Churchill
    Gurkha Castle Hall Churchill
    Gurkha Symphony Robusto
    Indian Tabac Maduro Teepee
    Perdomo ESV'91 2nd Prestigo
    Perdomo Reserve Limited Oscuro 'E'
    Cain Daytona Torpedo
    Nica Libre Pontencia Double Robusto
    Nub 466 Habano
    Gran Habino Cabinet Select Robusto
    Partagas Cifuentes Winter Blend Febrero
    and two in my continued search for the best 'Dog Rocket Plus', FRANK'S WAY BELICOSO and 1876 RESERVE TORPEDO.

Also have coming some excellent favorites from over the past 5 month that were worth 'continued sampling' like-

Oliva Serie V Churchill Extra, 7x52
    Diesel Unholy Cocktail, 5x56
    Diesel Unlimited, 7x58
    Padilla Signature 1932 Torpedo

Looking forward to the next 3 weeks. Does everyone look to try new sticks on a consistent basis? How often and what sticks? Like myself, do you like 'all' types of cigars, Full, Medium, Mild, and Maduro's and Naturals. Were do you get them, just local, on line from one retailer or many retailers? Nothing better then sampling new cigars!

Re: New cigar sampling routine/habits

i liked everything on your list except the Padilla Fumas, single batch and the habano, i haven't tried the park ave maduro but the park ave natural sucks, I've been working on the top 25 of 2010 i'm about a third done with list and found some i liked and a couple i wonder how they made the list happy smoking

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale aroma's Avatar

I've been into cigars for about a year now, and sampling is pretty much all I've done, 68 different blends so far. I think of my first couple of years as building "cigar literacy."

Quote Originally Posted by aroma View Post
    I've been into cigars for about a year now, and sampling is pretty much all I've done, 68 different blends so far. I think of my first couple of years as building "cigar literacy."
    I know what you are saying. To be honest, despite the fact of smoking for 11 years, I only became "literate" over the last 2 years. Literate is far from expert, especially in case. I never used to pay attention to I smoked, meaning to look to improve my selections. I only started noticing 'other' cigars after I was laid-up in February 2008 and could no longer work. At first to find the cheapest smokeable stick made. Then, after my S.S.D. kicked in,I started ordering on line and seeing everything available right in my face, and not just a 20 second glance at the local smoke shop. Sorry to BABLE.

I got my Cigar Bid monthly order today. Maybe 20 'new' lines to try. Started when I opened the package and torched FRANK'S WAY Belicoso. Now I liked Frank, and his mouth, and most stuff that came OUT of it. Their is no way in ^ell the man would ever put one of these IN his mouth. Would probably have Felipe Gregorio sleeping with da fishes after one smoking. No bitterness or bad taste at all. No real good, average, or much of any taste at all. Naming a 'dog rocket' after the most famous singer in our history is just sad. At least the 1876 RESERVE Torpedo I smoked afterward offered a VERY mild tobacco taste. Nothing else though, but would at least be a 'docket rocket PLUS'.

1. PADILLA MIAMI Robusto is an excellent tasting cigar. You HAVE to find out for yourself. Torched this a few hours ago, and it was an instant 'worth a 2nd try' cigar.
    2. PADILLA DOMINUS Perla, only 4x44. Not a good cigar. Missing the smooth but bold flavor most other Padilla's offer, like the Miami. While not a 'bad' smoke, it offered nothing appealing to want it a second time around.

Will keep a consistent rate of sampling over the next few days until I get the 'kid with a new toy' feeling out of my system. Lastly, I still can't get the PERDOMO RES 10th ANN Champagne Robusto I smoked a few days agp out of my head. The cigar surprised me that much, expecting a 'good' full flavored, mild cigar, and getting an 'excellent' tasting eye opener. I found some decent prices at Famous Smoke. Look to get the 6x60 Super Toro, more tobacco, more flavor! Anyway, I'll be back. Have a good weekend! Hope some new sticks are in your plans.

Cigar chain smoking is not a trend I often follow. Once a month actually for about 3 or 4 days. One reason why is the.....

3. PADILLA SINGLE BATCH #17 TORO GRANDE, 6x58- Not the best Padilla I have smoked. Miami, Sis.1932, Sig. 1932 Oscuro are tops. This cigar seemed to get as the stick progressed. Close to the Miami in taste but not nearly as noticeable. Think I have had enough 'flavor' for one day. If I get the urge to light up again I torch a milder favorite like Perdomo Slow-Aged or 5 Vegas Gold. Tomorrow I have to taste the big bad Padilla Series '68 Golden Bear, maybe follow it with Cain Daytona, and if I am still alive I should look to Nub 466 Habano. Good night!

Started Saturday with number 4, PADILLA SERIES '68, 6x60 GOLDEN BEAR. After smoking that MIAMI ROBUSTO, I have raised my standard bar, unintentionally of course, for new Padillas and found this GOLDEN BEAR only average. Like the SINGLE BATCH #17, it got better as it went along but never came close to SIG '32 or MIAMI. Actually liked the SINGE BATCH big toro better. Still a decent cigar, just won't be high on the list if I have a choice.

Number 5 was NUB 466 Habano. Like the Cameroon, a good cigar but I still look to NUB 460 Connecticut as the best shorty I have smoked. The Habano could have been a a little smoother but still had a decent taste. For the awesome price of $3 I would buy again. $5 or $6, actually no NUB as far as I all I have smoked thus far. Become spoiled by placing low winning bid at Cigar Bid. I found a good deal for my new obsession stick, PER RES 10th ANN CHAMPAGNE. Famous Smoke has five Robusto, 5x54 stick for $17.95. A great deal at $3.57 a stick. Also saw they had CAO GOLD 6x60 PERFECTO, 10 for $43.95. Good prices on two solid worth a 2nd smoking cigars. Also found a great deal on the PERDOMO FRESCO Churchill I tried a few days back, 25 for $45.00. Great price for a decent cigar.

CAIN DAYTONA ROBUSTO is in the wings. Have to check out Puff's to 25 as muddy did to see if it is a 'realistic' list as far as my wallet goes. later!

HA HA HA HA.... More INSANE bidding at CIGAR BID. GRAYCLIFF 1666 Double Espresso, 4.5x60 stick. Fellow is from AP???? I won 5, 6x50 Toros of the exact same stick for $13 last week. C.I. has a 15 box going for $124.95.

He don't care.

6. CAIN DAYTONA ROBUSTO--- Another good cigar. Nice flavor. At $3, a definite 'worth a 2nd smoking' stick.

Also, sent a friend I owed some sticks said the COHIBA I sent was a fake. Label has one less row on 'dots' above the brand name and not squares. Guy I bought it from has had that same box in his store for about 4 years now. I'll be paying him a visit with the documented proof and see if the fraud is of his own doing, or even he got suckered.

Will be introducing myself to a.....
    GURKHA CASTLE HALL and GURKHA SYMPHONY before the night is through.

Quote Originally Posted by rah0785 View Post
    Started Saturday with number 4, PADILLA SERIES '68, 6x60 GOLDEN BEAR. After smoking that MIAMI ROBUSTO, I have raised my standard bar, unintentionally of course, for new Padillas and found this GOLDEN BEAR only average. Like the SINGLE BATCH #17, it got better as it went along but never came close to SIG '32 or MIAMI. Actually liked the SINGE BATCH big toro better. Still a decent cigar, just won't be high on the list if I have a choice.

Number 5 was NUB 466 Habano. Like the Cameroon, a good cigar but I still look to NUB 460 Connecticut as the best shorty I have smoked. The Habano could have been a a little smoother but still had a decent taste. For the awesome price of $3 I would buy again. $5 or $6, actually no NUB as far as I all I have smoked thus far. Become spoiled by placing low winning bid at Cigar Bid. I found a good deal for my new obsession stick, PER RES 10th ANN CHAMPAGNE. Famous Smoke has five Robusto, 5x54 stick for $17.95. A great deal at $3.57 a stick. Also saw they had CAO GOLD 6x60 PERFECTO, 10 for $43.95. Good prices on two solid worth a 2nd smoking cigars. Also found a great deal on the PERDOMO FRESCO Churchill I tried a few days back, 25 for $45.00. Great price for a decent cigar.

CAIN DAYTONA ROBUSTO is in the wings. Have to check out Puff's to 25 as muddy did to see if it is a 'realistic' list as far as my wallet goes. later!
    yea the cigars over $10 are going to be the hard ones, i go to the B&M for singles and the Illusione Epernay was my first over $10 cigar and i wanted to ask for my money back, i know unless i win the lottery i wont pay for the Pardon Fam Rev at $25.00. I'm starting my Sunday off with a Miami, happy smoking

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    yea the cigars over $10 are going to be the hard ones, i go to the B&M for singles and the Illusione Epernay was my first over $10 cigar and i wanted to ask for my money back, i know unless i win the lottery i wont pay for the Pardon Fam Rev at $25.00. I'm starting my Sunday off with a Miami, happy smoking

Plenty of $5-$10 M.S.R.P. sticks up for grabs on line for around $3. My outlet of choice right now being Cigar Bid, but every retailer seems to have a decent special not and then. Wish I had Another Miami. Next month I will look to score a few more. Great taste. Two late night sticks I experienced were

7. GURKHA SYMPHONY ROBUSTO- Another smooth mild cigar to add to the list. One dimensional, but a good, creamy tobacco taste. .

8. GURKHA CASTLE HALL CHURCHILL was not bad either. Not a boat load of flavors. One decent medium taste throughout the entire stick. It is only promoted as a GURKHA CHEAPY and is a decent stick for under $3.

Smoking a long thin PADILLA 1948 Lancero right now. Want to finish this before final judgement. Not bad so far.

More Padilla madness. Two good value grade smokes, worth a 2nd smoking if the price is right.

9. PADILLA 1948 Lancero--Long and too thin. Did not last long. Taste is OK. Like I said, for the right price it's not pad

10. PADILLA HABANO ROBUSTO seemed to have a better, more noticeable flavor. Another value line Padilla to go with the Achilles, Single Batch, and Fumas.

11. PERDOMO ESV '91 2nds Prestigo. Now I can see why bidders send these up to the max bid more often then not, which happens to be the C.I. selling price. Very good mild stick with medium flavor. Very smooth all the way to the last inch. A burning finger nub. Perdomo seems to make the most number of good tasting sticks. The only one I did not consider worth a 2nd try this far is the Gran Cru line. Still have the Limited Oscuro to smoke later tonight. Saving the dark maduro for last.

Going Broke!

i thoroughly enjoy sampling different cigars. I hope it takes me 10 plus years to find what I like. To me, sampling is very enjoyable. anyway, Im interested in what you think about the Nubs.

Quote Originally Posted by pao444life View Post
    i thoroughly enjoy sampling different cigars. I hope it takes me 10 plus years to find what I like. To me, sampling is very enjoyable. anyway, Im interested in what you think about the Nubs.
    NUBS! NUBS!! NUBS!!! WHAT THE FA...

Nubs are good cigars. I like the Connecticut 460 the best of all I have smoked. The Cameroon and Habano are also good at the right price. Just sampled the Habano 466 yesterday. Very good taste. Can score them consistently on Cigar Bid for $3 or less. Also, I have stopped buying any Robsuto size sticks unless it is a new stick to sample and look to Nubs now if I am not up to a Churchill of Figurado.

I guess after a while most smokers don't look to sample on a regular basis. Like I said, for the first 10 years I smoked I probably only tried maybe 10 or 12 brands. But my smoking situation has changed so dramatically meaning smoking has become my favorite pastime. That, along with Cigar Bid having so many different sticks at my normal buying limit of $4-$6 tops per stick.
    Heck, I was not making it a point to try new cigars regularly I may never have found my new favorite stick, PERDOMO RES 10th ANN Champagne. The only stick I enjoyed more was Padilla Sig 1932 Edi Lim Oscuro, which costs about $25 now on line and was a gift of course.

PERDOMO day. After trying the very good ESV'91 2NDS, I enjoyed,

12. PERDOMO 10th ANN. MADURO Churchill. Not as good as the Champagne of course but still a very smooth, sweet tasting Maduro. A Gurkha Ancient Warrior is in the works at some time over the next 24 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by pao444life View Post
    I kinda hope i never find what will stop me from trying new cigars, I have a problem paying for the little Nub

13. GURKHA ANCIENT WARRIOR Churchill. Another decent Gurkha. Taste improved as the I smoked. Box of 20 goes for about $100 at Best Cigar Prices.com. That would be THE MOST I would pay. It retails for $7.50 and like most Gurkha's I see around local B&M's here is over priced.

The La Gloria Cubano Artesanos Churchill looks very good. Will torch that later today as another first try stick. Have to flip a coin after that between a Graycliff 1666 Toro or an OLIVA Sreie V, which I have tried. Now this Graycliff goes for about $5 more then the Oliva V, which is an awesome cigar. See if it is priced right, or over priced. It has a tall order ahead of it.

In the mean time, a major urge for a fat 5 Vegas Gold 6x60 Bullion will get my attention. So creamy and smooth with French vanilla Espresso so EARLY IN THE MORNING! Have a good day.

Alpha Puffer Fish

hey - you skipped the Perdomo limited Resevse Oscuro "E"

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast