Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Obsidian Cigar Review -- Not to be confused with Padilla

This is a discussion on Obsidian Cigar Review -- Not to be confused with Padilla within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; A week or two back I noticed an oddball cigar on Joe's Jambalaya that I had never seen before. Some ...

Full grown Puffer Fish zenbamboo's Avatar

Thumbs up Obsidian Cigar Review -- Not to be confused with Padilla

A week or two back I noticed an oddball cigar on Joe's Jambalaya that I had never seen before. Some quick Google searches (and on Puff) only turned up reviews for the Padilla Obsidian. From the pictures below you can see that this is something entirely different. I suspect it is a CI boutique cigar. So I sprung on the two five packs and figured I didn't have much to lose.

Let me preface this by saying that my mind this has been a horrible week and I have several cigar reviews that need to be posted, but I am currently dealing with the death of my infant nephew, my daughter's grandmother had a massive heart attack and is in a drug induced coma and I just received word today that my mother has a week to live. I had the cigar on the way home from work and enjoyed it despite being fairly fresh and I have a few minutes of down time, so consider this my way of dealing with all of my grief at the moment.

From Cigars International:

"In a word, Obsidian is memorable. Memorable packaging, memorable sizes, memorable in appearance, and a memorable level of flavor and power, skillfully married to produce one enchanting handmade. Carefully crafted by hand in the Dominican, Obsidian employs a dark and oily Habano ligero wrapper from Brazil and a Cuban-seed blend of long-fillers from the Dominican and Nicaragua. The end result: dense layers of powerful, rich flavors delivered in smooth, balanced, and methodical fashion that builds intensity throughout the burn. Each Obsidian tests the palate with deep notes of espresso, pepper, earth, black tobacco, and toast....complementing the meaty core perfectly. Complex and satisfying, Obsidian is a helluva cigar."

My thoughts on it were the band is freaking huge. It isn't gawdy because it is basically black with some very light writing on it, but this appears to be a 5x60 jaw breaker and the band covered 80% of it. However, my one and only fear of getting it off without damaging the wrapper was alleviated when it simply slid off. It had a very earthy smell of leather and coffee.

Lighting it was a little tough, but the moisture content was probably still too high. It had a great aroma to the smoke though. It smelled like a freshly ground dark roast, just a rich deep smell that had a hint of sweetness like molasses or raisins. The burn wandered quite a bit, but it stayed lit and all it needed were a few touch ups. The flavor was amazing for a cigar with such little rest. This is a full bodied cigar. I didn't feel a nicotine kick, but then I had my mind on driving and all of my family issues. However, the aroma and flavor were enough to provide some minor comfort under the circumstances. I probably won't smoke another of these for several months, but I will be keeping my eye out for them. I know this review isn't up to par with many of the great reviews you guys post so maybe I will smoke one more in another week or two to give it a proper review. I found it enjoyable and plan to buy more. I give it a 8.5/10 and expect great things out of it after a year of rest.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. -- President Ronald Reagan

Elder Puffer Fish Leader ca21455's Avatar

Re: Obsidian Cigar Review -- Not to be confused with Padilla

Nice review, have not tried one of these yet but they sound interesting.

Thanks for the review. Got one in a Pinar del Rio freebie sampler, waiting for it to rest to give it a try.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Casey Jones's Avatar

You can pick up 10 of these guys for $37.50 on cbid right now too

LOB Underwater Director Danfish98's Avatar

Thanks for the review! I've had my eye on these recently but wanted to wait for a review before I took the plunge. Very sorry to hear about your awful week as well, hope things improve for you soon.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader NoShhhSherlock's Avatar

Great review! I have seen this one around, and Hope to try it some day. Sorry for your cruddy week As well, I hope things get better for you

Picked up a 10 pack this week for $30 bucks.
    What a great cigar at a value price.
    Wrapper is super oily and perfect roll.
    No issues with the long and slow burn this cigar provides.
    I would say that these have mellowed with age in the CI humidor and call them a mild full-bodied cigar, or a full bodied medium, you get my point.
    Great tasting cigar. Look for these on CI or the devil site.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

I have been through one of two boxes of the petit corona and really like them at the price point. They do get a lot better with some rest and seem to smoke better at below 65%

I have had one where the band caused some damage to the wrapper when removed but I have a feeling the cigar was just to young and maybe a tiny bit on the wet side.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

The Gordo is on Cigar.com for $17.50 a fiver today.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

I paid $30 for a 10 pack of robustos, keep your eyes peeled.
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Newbie in the ocean

Based on your review I picked up a 20 pack mazo and opted for the "free" clipper. Seemed like a pretty good deal at $49.95. I'm not a wealthy guy so to speak so I like to find deals and load up the humidor. I've been ordering pretty regularly from CI. It's their deal of the week for anyone interested.
    Last edited by PCP777; 03-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.

No longer a community member.

I'd like to score some coronas. I think they would be a great smoke to go along with a BLACK cup of coffee.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by canney View Post
    I paid $30 for a 10 pack of robustos, keep your eyes peeled.
    Did you like them?

I guess I might have bumped an old thread. My apologies.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    Did you like them?

I guess I might have bumped an old thread. My apologies.
    $30 for a 10 pack is expensive.

Watch and you can snag these for around $2.00

A while back you could buy a box for about $50 I think.

TJB

Sorry about your week man. Hope things look up for you soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast