Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

DPG Cuban Classic

This is a discussion on DPG Cuban Classic within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I have wanted to start reviewing cigars for some time now, and decided tonight will be the start of it! ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader NoShhhSherlock's Avatar

DPG Cuban Classic

I have wanted to start reviewing cigars for some time now, and decided tonight will be the start of it!

Here we have The Don Pepin Garcia Cuban classic. I had tried a smaller version of this stick on the 4th of July and had issues with it. It had a hard spot in it so the draw was horrible and was a fight to the end. I decided to revisit this cigar. So here is my review.

The Pre-light:
    -Very well constructed
    -triple capped I believe
    -The aroma was of a strong Coffee, or moca
    -This cigar was light in weight which was a surprise for how large the cigar appeared.

Light:
    -Strong taste of toast and Hay
    -Hints of light spice
    -Easy Draw and even burn

First half:
    The first half was nice, You could easily pick up hints of hay toast and Coffee. As it went through the first half the coffee taste got stronger but all and all the same tastes lingered Until about half way through.

About half way through the hay taste and the Toast flavor ceased, and Coffee became the dominant taste. The taste was mostly a mild pleasant.

Getting down to the last part of this cigar, I really cannot say much else as Coffee was the main taste I noticed to the end. It got a little stronger and noticeable but was nothing that popped out at me.

Closing notes on this cigar:
    I have to say it was not the greatest, I was expecting a bit more being one of the DPG lines. But all in all it was an enjoyable stick, I believe this one would have benefited from being at a higher RH. I think if it would have been the flavors would have came out better.

Construction: 10
    Light: 10
    Taste: 7
    Ash: 10
    Aroma:10

I will be trying this stick some time in the future when I can, maybe storing it at a higher Rh.
    (sorry for the blurry pics)

Re: DPG Cuban Classic

Great review, not bad at all for your first try..
    The Krazy Kanuck

Puffer Fish with some spikes

ive had these when they have been fantastic, sometimes pretty good, sometimes average

Elder Puffer Fish Leader ca21455's Avatar

Thanks for the nice review Matt. I've smoked a ton of the robustos and really like them.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Great cigar i smoked the one gifted me by GasDocok i gotta say a great smoke!
    Coffee and ceder where the main impressions i got!
    Thanks for a great review and pictures!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Puffer Fish with some spikes Space Ace's Avatar

Nice review. The CCs have always been of my faves out of the DPG line.

No longer a community member.

My favorite of the DPG line

Newbie in the ocean

Cool Re: DPG Cuban Classic

My favorite after lunch cigar,I like the Figurado 1973 size.!!!!

Maturing Puffer Fish arkiesmoker's Avatar

I've went through many of the robustos and everyone has had perfect or near perfect construction and burn. I haven't really picked up on any hay taste but have detected nuances from coffee to pepper. One of my all time favorites.