Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Obsidian Belicoso (by Pinar Del Rio) - Review

This is a discussion on Obsidian Belicoso (by Pinar Del Rio) - Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Obsidian Belicoso (by Pinar Del Rio) - Review

Obsidian Belicoso (by Pinar Del Rio) – Review

Size: 6.5” x 52
    Wrapper: Brazilian Habano ligero
    Binder: Dominican Criollo 98
    Filler: Dominican Nicaraguan blend
    MSRP: $65 for a box of 20

Background: This cigar is marketed as “Obsidian” without a manufactures name attached to it. This Obsidian is made by Pinar Del Rio and should not be confused with a cigar of the same name by Padilla. To the best of my knowledge this is an exclusive blend to Cigars International and its web sites (cigarsinternational.com, cigar.com, and cigarbid.com)

Prelight: The majority of this cigar was hidden behind a massive three and a half inch band. Although I think this band is stupid, I have never had any problems sliding one off. After sliding off the band I found a fairly well constructed cigar. It was firm with a couple medium sized veins and an oily mottled chocolate brown wrapper. There was a few blemishes but they are a lot more noticeable in my pictures than when I was looking at them. The appearance of these is a bit rustic compared to PDR’s other offering, but covering most of the cigar under a band is completely unnecessary. After clipping the slightly skewed belicoso cap I found a very free draw.

Burn: This cigar lit easy and burned without any problems. The ash held for over an inch and a half, the burn line was reasonably straight, and it had a good volume of smoke. The only issue I could find was a somewhat flakey ash. Total burn time was about an hour and a half.

Taste: Initial flavors after lighting was a rich coffee with tones of earth and leather. A retrohale brought in some spicy pepper in the nose. There was a small amount of a creamy sweetness that showed up in the background for the first third. Second third continued the nice coffee and leather and the spice in the nose came and went a few times. In the last third the coffee toned down and the leather became the main flavor with the spicy pepper stronger than it was previously. By the end of the smoke the leather was leaving a very nice long finish. I would say the majority of the cigar was a medium body and it built up to a full body.

Conclusion: I have smoked a half dozen of these and I have enjoyed every one. These are just a simple one dimensional smoke totally lacking in nuance, but that one flavor is really good especially paired with coffee. For their low cost I think these are great bargain cigar that smokes much better than its price point.

Review Notes: The cigar reviewed was in my coolidore for three months at 67% rh. I drank water and coffee while smoking. And I just want to say again the gigantic band is stupid.

Re: Obsidian Belicoso (by Pinar Del Rio) - Review

I love the review John. The first picture is very nicely done! I didn't realize that the label was in fact a label until you mentioned it, probably to keep the beetles from running away. So you paired the cigar with coffee and you tasted coffee, imagine pairing a cigar with coke and...never mind. LOL.

Thanks for the review, John. Have not tried the Belicoso, yet. I have burned through 3/4 box of the Robusto and a full box of the mini Corona.

Seemed to like the mini the best, maybe the ratio of filler to wrapper, but I do not know.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Another great review of an exceptionally valued and under the radar great smoke. I, once again, have to concur with everything expressed in the above review; down to the assessment of the ridiculous band. I'm sitting on a few hoping some time will be very good to this blend.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Aschecte's Avatar

great review John I just picked up a box of this same vitola and I can't wait to try it out. About that band is there an upside to it such as it protecting the wrapper from tear while in your coolidor ? I agree it is huge and probabaly no more than a marketing reason they put it on but I'd like to think it's for protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
    great review John I just picked up a box of this same vitola and I can't wait to try it out. About that band is there an upside to it such as it protecting the wrapper from tear while in your coolidor ? I agree it is huge and probabaly no more than a marketing reason they put it on but I'd like to think it's for protection.
    Thanks. My guess is that the oversized band is just marketing and I don''t see where it would really add any protection that the cello is not already providing. It could serve the function of hiding an ugly wrapper but none of the ones I have smoked looked bad so it was not needed for that. Whatever the reason I have not had any problems sliding them off so they are just a minor annoyance.

Lurker come out to play tatubom1's Avatar

Great review there i would have to agree with you that the only bad thing i can say about this cigar is the band. it is quickly becoming my go-to daily smoke.

Great review John. The oversized band screams *cough* Gurkha for over the top hype marketing. I have a couple of these in Box-pressed Toro. They still have at least, a month's more of rest to go. I'm looking forward to smoking one. I wonder how they compare to a Pinar Del Rio Seleccion 2010 or a Pinar del Rio Reserva Limitada?
    Last edited by 36Bones; 07-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 36Bones View Post
    Great review John. The oversized band screams *cough* Gurkha for over the top hype marketing. I have a couple of these in Box-pressed Toro. They still have at least, a month's more of rest to go. I'm looking forward to smoking one. I wonder how they compare to a Pinar Del Rio Seleccion 2010 or a Pinar del Rio Reserva Limitada?
    I would agree with the Gurkha except that oversized band looks a bit "cheap" even for a Gurkha. Personally I think the Seleccion 2010 is a better smoke (bit more complexity and a little nicer flavors) and the Reserva Limitada is not worth buying (I have had a box for quite a while hoping they would get better, they haven't improved much) That reminds me I need to get around to reviewing that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaul View Post
    I would agree with the Gurkha except that oversized band looks a bit "cheap" even for a Gurkha. Personally I think the Seleccion 2010 is a better smoke (bit more complexity and a little nicer flavors) and the Reserva Limitada is not worth buying (I have had a box for quite a while hoping they would get better, they haven't improved much) That reminds me I need to get around to reviewing that one.
    Thanks for the comparison, John. I haven't tried any of the PDR's yet. I'll pass on the Reserva. I did put up a bid for a PDR Torpedo Flight Sampler on the Devil. The Reserva isn't included in that pack. I'll try of the BP Toro's I have next weekend.