Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Cohiba Red Dot Review

This is a discussion on Cohiba Red Dot Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Just a warning, I'm a noob and my review reflects that. I have heard a few things about this infamous ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Cohiba Red Dot Review

Just a warning, I'm a noob and my review reflects that. I have heard a few things about this infamous cigar but just had to try it for myself.

Cigar:
    Cohiba Red Dot Robusto ( 5" x 49 )
    I'll call this the CoReDoRo for short. I picked this cigar up as part of a sampler I originally purchased. It was stored for about two months and for the last week has been sitting in my coolidor at about 62% RH. Looking around the net puts this cigar at about $15 but usually gets thrown in the CI and CCom samplers to boost their perceived value.

Initial Impression and Light:
    This cigar had nice even construction with no perceived soft spots. It was spongy but not overly so. The wrapper was a medium color with small veins running throughout. The smell was a very light barnyard smell, barely noticable. After clipping the cap, the draw was fairly tight and almost no flavor in the pre-light draw. I toasted the end with the soft flame lighter seen in the pic and did a pretty horrible job at that.

The Smoke:
    The first thing I noticed about the smoke is that there was not much flavor at all. There were the tiniest hints of earthiness and leather with a very faint woodiness in the retrohale. There was quite a bit of smoke, but that was about it. As I continued through the first third, it was the much of the same. The ash stayed on nice and tight for the first two inches and at this point I noticed a light nicotine buzz. Continuing on to the second third, the flavors stayed true but picked up some hints of nutiness. The flavors did pick up slightly and towards the final third and became more pronounced, but nothing very strong. That was about it. The after the first ash, it was falling every inch. The draw continued to be tight until the final third where it loosened up considerably. The total burn time for this cigar was about an hour and a half.

Final Thoughts:
    The one thing I can say about this cigar is it burned nice and straight. The flavors weren't anything spectacular or complex, but it wasn't horrible either. It just wasn't what I'd expect out of a $15 cigar.

Below is the burn progression

It's a trap!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish REDROMMY's Avatar

Re: Cohiba Red Dot Review

Middle of the road for me as well, you summed it up pretty good. I will say however, i liked the Fauxhiba Black. Much better than the CoReDoRo in my opinion lol
    "Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." óW.C. Fields

Nice review and very good pics.
    Thank you for posting and I'm looking forward to the next!
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Dang no edit. I forgot to add that there was a little bit of pepper on the back of the tongue.
    It's a trap!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish kumanchu's Avatar

that's a shame. i used to smoke these somewhat regularly in the early 2000's. i revisited one that was sent to me by smelvis (dave) that was obviously quite old. brown cello if you will.

the smoke was really nice, nuanced, and flavorful. it sounds like these have gone down hill. that's truly unfortunate.

Nice review Brent. I actually like the CoReDoRo quite a bit. They are frowned on because of the name and retarded MSRP but the flavor is there is you know how to find it. They are a very light bodied stick and I find that most of their flavor is all in the retrohale so a fairly clean palate is necessary. If you can find them under $5 I think they are a solid deal but any more than that is not worth it.

Young Fish

this review is exactly how i would have described the red dot...not bad, but def not a $15 cigar...if anything i was bored with the ones i've smoked

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

*There is an actual "Red Dot" cigar available from JR Cigars that features a lady on the cigar band. The tobacco content is 50% Nicaraguan and 50% Jamaican that is machine-made short filler. It's really very flavorful. I'll keep my 2 Cents to me about General Cigars' red dot Cohiba.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

Young Puffer Fish

Smoked one of these last night, prior to reading the review. This review matches mine exactly. Glad it came with a sampler full of Genesis - The projects, as those are much tastier.

Pale Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaul View Post
    Nice review Brent. I actually like the CoReDoRo quite a bit. They are frowned on because of the name and retarded MSRP but the flavor is there is you know how to find it. They are a very light bodied stick and I find that most of their flavor is all in the retrohale so a fairly clean palate is necessary. If you can find them under $5 I think they are a solid deal but any more than that is not worth it.
    Agreed, but even when I did pick up a few for that price I still found myself reaching for better sub-$5 cigars lol

Another great review Brent!

The CoReDoRo is to mild for my palate profile. As a two buck cigar, I might give it another shot, as a $15 cigar?,,, Some one call Rocky or Kaizad!
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Maturing Puffer Fish

Great review and nice pics. Not a cigar I've had.

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    The CoReDoRo is to mild for my palate profile. As a two buck cigar, I might give it another shot, as a $15 cigar?,,, Some one call Rocky or Kaizad!
    And I find myself quoting Fuzzy yet again... +1 to that!
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain