Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Man o' War Side Project: 52-C - Review

This is a discussion on Man o' War Side Project: 52-C - Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Man o' War Side Project: 52-C Size: 5x52 Chisel Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano ligero Filler: Unknown Price: $40 for a 5er ...

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Man o' War Side Project: 52-C - Review

Man o' War Side Project: 52-C

Size: 5x52 Chisel
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano ligero
    Filler: Unknown
    Price: $40 for a 5er or $80 for a box of 12
    Cut: Straight cut with a Palio
    Paired with: Rootbeer

Construction & Pre-light: Like most Man o' War cigars the construction on this one is excellent. This cigar has a very uniform, slightly firm roll, with just a little bit of give, only one or two medium veins, very tidy seams and a well placed and affixed cap even with the chisel tip. The wrapper has a nice oily sheen. I'm not picking up a lot of aroma from the wrapper or foot. What is there is a slightly earthy, natural tobacco. The chisel shaped head cuts very easily to reveal almost perfect draw. Pre-light flavor is a light natural tobacco with a little earthiness and a touch of oak.

1/3: The initial flavors are very spicy, almost like green pepper, but with a touch of sweetness and an eye opening spice on the retro-hale. After it settles a little the smoke becomes almost creamy, with the pepper making itself known on the sides of my tongue and the oak from the pre-light hanging out in the background. The room aroma is a very spicy leather. Probably not an aroma that will be enjoyed by non cigar smokers, but fans of spicy cigars will find it enthralling! 15 minutes in I'm getting some hard to pinpoint vegetal flavors with a leathery finish and the earthiness still in the background, but barely clinging on. The ever present pepper had faded some, but it's still there. The smoke is nice and thick and creamy. 20 minutes in I start picking up a touch of black coffee, but the main flavors are leather and the unknown vegetal. The ash is a beautiful solid white and the burn line, although not dead straight, hasn't wavered much. This stick is advertised as full bodied, but at this point I'd say it's a solid medium.

2/3: The second third picks up right where the first left of, leather, vegetal flavors, and some black coffee, but adds a touch of sweetness. The ash is still holding strong and the burn is still very respectable. 30 minutes in I'm getting an almost corojo-like allspice sweetness on the retro-hale, to go along with the pepper that is now just barely there on the retrohale, but still noticeable on the sides of my tongue. The vegetal flavors have faded somewhat and the leather is more creamy now, with a tiny hint of cocoa. The cocoa doesn't last long and is replaced by the earthiness. The vegetal flavor also comes back a little and the allspice fades. And then the coffee pops back in out of nowhere... The ash finally falls at just over ~1 3/4" and the peppery leather is back. Per my usual practice I give a quick purge at this point and am rewarded with a return of the allspice and green pepper to go with the leather and vegetal (man I wish I could pinpoint that!) flavor. 50 minutes in now and I'm just past the halfway point. This stick is definitely well loaded with tobacco and burns nice and slow. The burn wavered a little more in this third, but not enough to need a touch up before it corrected itself. The body has picked up some now to a medium/full.

3/3: Coming into the final third I realize this stick, at this point, is reminding me of a slightly young Diesel Unholy Cocktail. I'm getting sharp leather with a bitter cocoa now and a touch of black, dark roasted coffee. At this point the flavors aren't changing a whole lot. The allspice tries to peak back in occasionally, but isn't real strong. The biggest change is that the cigar is starting to get a little hot. The burn, if anything, has gotten better and the ash is still holding strong since it's first fall. The body has picked up some more, but I'm still not sure I would call this a full bodied smoke. With a little over an inch left the flavor isn't bad, but it is unchanging so I'll end the review here.

Total Smoking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Overall: This was basically a ROTT smoke, as this stick just came in from CBid 2 weeks ago, but that being considered, this stick performed well. I have to say this was unlike any other Man o' War I have smoked. Not in a bad way, it's a good smoke on it's own merits, just very different from the original MoW and Ruination. I'm looking forward to smoking another one of these in another 2 1/2 months to see how they have progressed and I have a feeling I will be buying more of these once the initial excitement of the release has worn off and the CBid price drops a little.
    Hangin' out with Friends

No longer a community member.

Re: Man o' War Side Project: 52-C - Review

Solid review... would give ya RG but says i have to spread it around!

Quote Originally Posted by tmmedic20 View Post
    Solid review... would give ya RG but says i have to spread it around!
    Thanks, Thom!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Nice review and incredibly comprehensive. I was wondering how these stacked up to the regular MOWs. Definitely sounds like something in my wheelhouse, but I'll wait 'till I can get them a little cheaper on Cbid or one of the daily deals.

Since Thom is unable to give an RG bump, I will do so for him.

Thanks for the feedback, James! And thanks for the bump!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Student of the Stogie Pianoman178's Avatar

Thanks for the review, Josh! Someone bump his RG for me, I have to spread it around
    "It felt like kicking a puppy, but then you felt okay again because the puppy was acting like an asshole." - David_ESM

Quote Originally Posted by Pianoman178 View Post
    Thanks for the review, Josh! Someone bump his RG for me, I have to spread it around
    Thanks for reading, Justin. I hope it was helpful.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Full grown Puffer Fish SystemError's Avatar

Thanks!

Connecticut Puffer

I saw these on CBid a few weeks ago and was wondering how they were, there were no reviews on it then that I could find, so thanks!

Puffer Fish with some spikes jmj_203's Avatar

Great review! I'm glad these are getting positive reviews, I shelled out the 80 bucks for a 12 ct box because I was afraid they were going to sell out quickly & be gone. THe boxes are awesome looking though.

I bought several MoW on cbid last week and am waiting for them to come in. They aren't carried anywhere here that I know of. Anyway, great review! Thanks!
    "I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." RON WHITE

Thanks for the great responses everyone! I plan on reviewing the Phalanx and Little Devil also, once mine have rested enough.
    Hangin' out with Friends