Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Not a Padilla Obsidian

This is a discussion on Not a Padilla Obsidian within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Oh No!! Another dog walking review. What can I say, I like to walk and smoke cigars and the dog ...

Not a Padilla Obsidian

Oh No!! Another dog walking review. What can I say, I like to walk and smoke cigars and the dog loves to get out and burn some energy.

Obsidian Petit Corona rested for about three months and smoked on what was planned as a two mile walk. More on this point later. Besides getting these at about two and a half bucks, I liked the fact they are from PDR.

The first thing noticed was the big honking band. It is almost another wrapper. I remember smoking one ROTT and because they were shipped so wet, the band was almost to tight to remove. Not the case after resting at 63% for awhile. It slipped right off.

The wrapper is a dark almost even color that has an oily sheen to it. The construction is good and there are a few veins. The prelight smell is tobacco, cedar and even a hint of chocolate. After a single cut with the Craftsman Bench V-cutter the draw is on the hard side of perfect but not a problem. This did not supprise me as the cigar is very firmly packed and a small RG.

Upon firing this little cigar, I am amazed at the amount of thick smoke with a sweetness added to a wet forest like smell/taste. The burn is almost straight but not perfect. This could be due to being outside and walking at a brisk pace. It seems to be burning very slow.

Twenty minutes in and I have not turned around because I am enjoying the cigar, the walk and the company I keep. The taste is still creamy, with a pronounced nut and coffee flavor. The almost white ash has held on well cosidering I was walking. I do get some pepper on retrohale, not a lot, but it is there.

Forty minutes in and I have decided to head home by a different maybe more dirrect route. This cigar started as a full on medium smoke but seems to have picked up a little. The coffee has been replaced by a more bitter expresso. Not so bitter as to take anything away from this fine cigar. The sweetness has come to the front.

An hour in and my planned two mile walk has probably doubled. It is now a slightly less than full bodied and strength cigar. Never could identify the sweetness but it has held on. When I could see the motor coach, I stuck my knife in it to get a little nubbin' At an hour and ten minutes, I pitched the nub, wishing I had my pipe to completely destroy any evidence that I actually smoked a Petit Corona for over an hour.

Overall, this was a great dog walker that may be even better as a sit and relax cigar. I will buy another box, maybe in the robusto size, to see how the profile changes.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: Not a Padilla Obsidian

Thanks for the review Bruce. Just as I was asking about these, this review popped up. That may be a sign to try one.
    It's a trap!

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    Thanks for the review Bruce. Just as I was asking about these, this review popped up. That may be a sign to try one.
    Pick up an Obsidian sampler if you can find one. I am looking. I would be willing to bet each size would have different nuances and one or two may be gems in the making with a decent rest. I am hoping these get better with age.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale aroma's Avatar

Thanks for the review.
    Sounds like something I might like.
    I'm not a fan of pepper on the retrohale, but humidor time would probably mellow it.
    puff-o-matic (cigar puff timer)

Really nice review Bruce!
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

Puffer Fish with some spikes Aschecte's Avatar

great review, I can't wait to try one I just picked up a 10'er of the belicoso size.