Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Man O War Ruination review

This is a discussion on Man O War Ruination review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Today we'll be reviewing the Man O War RuinNation cigar. This is a popular stick that's part of the infamous ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Smoke0ne's Avatar

Man O War Ruination review

Today we'll be reviewing the Man O War RuinNation cigar. This is a popular stick that's part of the infamous Man O War line (Commonly abbreviated MOW), created by A.J. Fernandez. This particular cigar was bombed to me by the one and only, Pinhead. Thanks for the kick ass cigar Pete!

Appearance: This is the "No.1" vitola, which is a 5.5"x54 size, putting it right in my comfort zone. A.J chose a very oily Habano Ecuador ligero wrapper for the Ruination, in addition to an ornate black and brown band featuring a spartan helmet, reminscient of "300". The wrapper has only one small vein that runs almost the entire length of the cigar, and very minimal tooth, if any. There are no rolling defects to be found and a squish of the foot reveals that this cigar is packed to the hilt with tobacco.

I decided to cut with my crappy guillotine cutter and light with an Xikar single flame. The first few puffs reveal a very spicy tingle on the tip of my tongue with a note of red pepper. The draw is EXCELLENT!

The smoke is taking a very dry character to it progressing through the first 1/3. The flavor is very hard to categorize by this point; it has a spice profile that lingers in your mouth with a nice rich finish that, at times, can almost get sweet. It's not peppery, except on the retrohale. The burn is very consistent, almost razor sharp. The ash is a nice charcoal-grey color.

The ash falls right around the 2/3 point. The flavor hasn't changed a whole lot; it's gotten a bit smoother and the sweetness on the finish is more prevalent then before. Really thrilled with the draw and the burn, they are both still perfect. The ash didn't seem to hold very well, and if you aren't careful, will end up with it on your lap such as I did.

In the final third, the flavors start to really change. There comes a sweet cedar that has overtaken the previous spice character that held true through the first 2/3's and it's really smoothed out by now. This was, by far, my favorite part of the cigar. The smoke is VERY thick and the wrapper is notably oily.

Right as I progress to the nub, the sweet cedar that was mentioned earlier has intensified. It's great! The retrohale is extremely rewarding. I'm loving every second of it and don't want it to stop.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the tooth-picked nub. But I smoked it all the way until there was nothing to smoke. The final third was an absolute treat; I didn't expect such a drastic change in flavor. Overall I was very impressed with the Ruination, the burn and draw never wandered, both were fantastic the whole way through. Total smoke time lasted right around a staggering 1 hour and 45 minutes. Pete, thanks man, this was a great one. From what I remember this stick has about a year+ of age on it which I'm betting greatly contributed to the melding of flavors.

Re: Man O War Ruination review

Great review on a phenomenal stick! +1
    You might find that smoke blown out clears your mind of shadows within.

Student of the Stogie Pianoman178's Avatar

Great review. Love the pics and MoWs!
    "It felt like kicking a puppy, but then you felt okay again because the puppy was acting like an asshole." - David_ESM

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Nice review. This is one of the sticks it seems like everyone has had. I'm sure I'll be trying it in the future.

I love this cigar! I picked up two ten packs at CI for $39.95 each last week. That is a steal for such a good cigar.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

That review is dead-on from my experiences with the cigar...right down to almost always dropping ash on myself, haha.
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

Great review, thanks! I've got some in the humi waiting for me.
    "I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." RON WHITE

The MOW Ruination is one of the cigars that I go to when I want a guaranteed great smoking experience. I have not been let down by this line once and I'm glad you had a great experience with it.

Awesome, I finally got one from a buddy up in CO. Can't wait to smoke it having read your review.
    Disciplina praesidium civitatis VTL

Connecticut Puffer

This is a great smoke, one of my favs. Your review is spot on, thanks!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Excellent review, nice pics!

This is my favorite "go to" cigar. I remember smoking one, for the first time, ROTT and it turned me GREEN! I loved every minute of it. It is a power house! Thanks for the great review.
    Gazelle intensity!

Great review! I love me a Ruination. (See avatar for evidence)

Nice review. It is one of my favorites as well.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Pj201's Avatar

Very nice review. Smoking one right now, only been burning for 5 min. It's a salmon so I think I'm in for a nice long treat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast