Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Habano Toro - Review

This is a discussion on Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Habano Toro - Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

No longer a community member.

Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Habano Toro - Review

Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Habano Toro – Review

Size: 6 x 52
    Wrapper: Brazilian Habano
    Binder: Dominican Criollo ’98
    Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican
    MSRP: $7.50

Background: Small Batch Reserve is a recent release that will only be produced on demand rather than continuously like PDR’s core line. They are a bit unique as they are rolled Entubar style and ship without cellophane (old Cuban style.)

Prelight: This cigar had a thin light brown wrapper with an oily sheen. The construction seemed very good on all three I smoked for this review. They all were well packed, consistent, minimal veins, and had a perfect draw. A cold draw revealed notes of earth and spice.

Burn: The burn on this cigar was very good and no touchups were needed. I even smoked a couple with wrapper damage at the foot and it burned and corrected itself without help or issue. I think that is a testament to how well these are rolled. The ash always held for at least an inch. Total burn time was about an hour and a half.

Taste: Initial flavors after lighting was a heavy blast of black pepper and spice with a little bit of woodiness in the background. After a few puffs the flavor became a full body wood and spice affair. Heading out of the first third a very nice coffee flavor emerged with the wood notes and spice moving into the background. Around the half way point the wood flavors picked up a bit and proved to be a surprisingly good complement to the coffee. The finish became earth with a hint of leather. I also started noticing a respectable nicotine kick. Heading into the last third the coffee faded and the flavor profile changed to a heavy earthy wood and leather with some nice spice in the nose. I would call this cigar medium-full in flavor and full in strength.

Conclusion: I really enjoyed this cigar. I was actually a bit surprised on how much I enjoyed it despite the woodiness (not generally my preference) and being a power bomb. This seems like it would age really well and would make a nice change of pace cigar when you feel like a enjoyable very full strength cigar.

Review Notes: The cigar reviewed was generously given to me by PDR for review. Thank you again Abe and Ekert. It was in my humidor for two weeks cello off at 65% rh. I drank only water while smoking.

Re: Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Habano Toro - Review

I'm finishing another one of these with four months rest on it. It is pretty much the same experience as my review. About the only difference I noticed is it does not seem to be quite as strong as I remembered. Still full body but nothing out of the ordinary nic wise. Pretty decent for a woody cigar.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

those look yummy!

"these will only be produced on demand"

How will that work? Like a freshroll?

Good review JP, and nice pics! You really love your PDR's. I finally tried one a few weeks ago and I really liked it. It was the 1870 something or another?

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Great review as always, JP! Really looks like they were trying to emulate a true Habano with this one. I bet they'll smoke great after a year.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
    "these will only be produced on demand"
    How will that work? Like a freshroll?
    I'm not exactly sure. Abe told me he didn't expect these to sell as fast as his other blends so they will not be part of the regular production cycle. He said he planned on making them in "small batches" according to demand.