Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Maduro Robusto - Review

This is a discussion on Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Maduro Robusto - Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Maduro Robusto - Review

Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Maduro Robusto – Review

Size: 5 x 52
    Wrapper: Brazilian Habano Maduro
    Binder: Dominican Criollo ’98
    Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican
    MSRP: $7.08

Background: Small Batch Reserve is a recent release that will only be produced on demand rather than continuously like PDR’s core line. They are a bit unique as they are rolled Entubar style and ship without cellophane (old Cuban style.)

Prelight: This cigar had an attractive dark brown wrapper with an oily sheen. The construction was very good on all three I smoked for this review. They were all well packed, consistent, had minimal veins, triple cap, and a perfect draw. A cold draw revealed notes of earth and spice.

Burn: The burn on this cigar was very good and no touchups were needed. I even smoked a couple with wrapper damage at the foot and it burned and corrected itself without help or issue. I think that is a testament to how well these are rolled. The ash held for well over an inch with a tight brilliant white ash. Total burn time was about an hour and a half.

Taste: Initial flavors after lighting was a heavy blast of black pepper and spice with a little bit of woodiness in the background. After a few puffs the flavor became a full body wood and spice affair with hint of sweetness in the background. Heading out of the first third the wood became a bit stronger, the spiced became a bit muted, and I picked up hints of espresso. Around the half way point the finish became an earthy leather. I also started noticing a respectable nicotine kick. The last third was pretty much a heavy earthy wood and leather with strong but muted spice. I would call this cigar medium-full in flavor and full in strength.

Conclusion: I think this was a decent cigar but it was a bit of a letdown compared to the Habano. The maduro added very little sweetness to the mix but muted the spice and coffee flavors that I enjoyed the most out of the blend. That being said these seemed to be smoking a bit young and I think they might become quite good with a bit more time.

Review Notes: The cigar reviewed was generously given to me by PDR for review. Thank you again Abe and Ekert. It was in my humidor for two weeks cello off at 65% rh. For the review I smoked one drinking only water, water and coffee, and water and scotch. The water and scotch pair very well, the coffee not so much.

Re: Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Maduro Robusto - Review

another great review and stellar pics JP. It's always good to know what PDR has coming down the pike and how they are from a reliable and credible reviewer. Cheers mate!!
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Targets locked on... Phil from Chicago's Avatar

very nice review.. Now I need to find one in my area as the guys around here are not they buying type..

Quote Originally Posted by Phil from Chicago View Post
    very nice review.. Now I need to find one in my area as the guys around here are not they buying type..
    They are just now hitting the stores so you might just want to go online if you are wanting to try them. I recommend Atlantic... Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Cubra Robusto Maduro | Atlantic Cigar Company

Puffer Fish with many spikes

nice review as always, JP!

Targets locked on... Phil from Chicago's Avatar

Thanks JP!!!!

Heading there to check now

REVIEW UPDATE...

I'm finishing another one of these with four months rest on it. The extended rest has made big improvements to the flavor. It has become sweeter, richer, and the flavors a bit more distinct. There is a bit of bitterness that I suspect will go away with a bit more time. With the extended rest I think the maduro is better than the habano. At this point I would say this one is a must try for fans of Brazilian wrappers.

Man, I don't know if Abe can top the 1878 Capa Oscuro, but I sure want to be there when he does!
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Young Fish

Good review, thanks! Do you have experience with the 1878 Maduro? If so, any comparison's you'd remember?