Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Carlos Torano Virtuoso Encore Review

This is a discussion on Carlos Torano Virtuoso Encore Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Cigar: Carlos Torano Virtuoso Encore ( 4.7" x 52 ) I was bombed this cigar by aaron72 in a random ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Carlos Torano Virtuoso Encore Review

Cigar:
    Carlos Torano Virtuoso Encore ( 4.7" x 52 )
    I was bombed this cigar by aaron72 in a random bombing just over a month ago. Thanks Aaron. Since then it has sat in my cooler at about 66% RH. Looking online, it looks like you can get these for just over $5 a pop when bought in a box.

Initial Impression and Light:
    This cigar had a classic velvety dark brown maduro wrapper with some lighter shades in areas. There was a small 1/4" hole in the wrapper that was put there pre-roll, otherwise the wrapper had a couple small veins and many tiny veins running throughout. The construction was very firm which was most likely a testament to how much filler this thing had. The smell had a great fresh barnyard smell that most Toranos I've had have. After clipping the cap the pre-light draw was pretty tight and had an interesting flavor from the wrapper that I can only say matched the barnyard smell. I toasted and lit the cigar with my soft flame lighter.

The Smoke:
    Getting started on this one gave some huge blasts of pepper that quickly calmed down after the first few puffs. When things got settled there was a very noticable sweetness to the smoke that left nice creamy coffee flavors that faded with the slightest amount of spice. At some points I got some wonderful nuttiness towards the end of the coffee. This continued on through the second third just past the half-way point. At this point, the initial sweetness of the smoke was replaced by a nice spiciness like you'd get from green chilis. From there the flavors became a deeper espresso that faded to the lighter creamy coffee. Down to the final third I started having some burn problems and tunneling that didn't do the cigar justice. When everything was burning correctly, I got the coffee flavors with hints of almond. When it wasn't burning right, there was almost no flavor or some citrus flavors. The burn was not too bad for the first two thirds, just wavy. Once things started going wrong in the final third, it just stayed pretty bad. The ash held on almost half way at first and dropped a second time after an inch. The total burn time was about an hour twenty minutes.

Final Thoughts:
    I have to say that this was a great cigar. The flavors in the first two thirds were just amazing to me. The final third, well I'll just chalk that up to a poor burn and a fluke. I will say that this was my favorite Torano so far and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great maduro. Sure the price puts this out of budget cigars, but it is still in the mid range and I'm sure they could be found on sale various places online. That concludes my reviews of Torano cigars for now as that's all I have. That said, I'm sure I'll have more in the future. Thanks for reading.

Below is the burn progression

Re: Carlos Torano Virtuoso Encore Review

Nice review Brent, sounds like you had an enjoyable smoke.

I have yet to try a Torano that i didnt like, all good solid smokes, and the Virtuoso's rank up with the Exodus as their best imo.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish aaron72's Avatar

Nice review. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for another great Torano review!

The Torano Whore
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do