Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Carlos Torano Fortress Review

This is a discussion on Carlos Torano Fortress Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Vitola: Double Robusto 5.5 x 56 Origin: Nicaragua Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Rosado Filer: Nicaraguan, Peruvian, and Honduran (not 100% sure) ...

Carlos Torano Fortress Review

Vitola: Double Robusto 5.5 x 56
    Origin: Nicaragua
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Rosado
    Filer: Nicaraguan, Peruvian, and Honduran (not 100% sure)

Pre-light:
    Color: Even, no noticeable defects
    Feel: Very firm, noticed several veins
    Smell: Light barnyard
    Cut: Punch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pre.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	67563
    First Third
    The cigar started off a little harsh, and then became very woody or earthy (have not figured out the difference yet). The draw wasn't easy. It took about two puffs to get a nice build up of smoke. Throughout this third, there was a mild bitter after taste. The burn became uneven after the 1/2 inch mark.

Name:	First.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	67564

Second Third
    Nothing much different then first, tried to even out the burn, but no luck. Also tried to retro hale, choked on what I believe was leather. After I came around, the rest of the third didn't change much until I started getting close to the last third. Got a hint of coffee. Problem, the uneven line just keeps making the cigar bitter.

Name:	second.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	67565

Final Third
    Some other flavors were trying to come through. I am pretty sure there was more to this cigar than the woody or earthy tones, but I never really got to enjoy any of them.
    Carlos Torano Fortress Review-3rd.jpg

Name:	3rd.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	67569
    <Seems that I can't get the third pic to post>

All in all, disappointing. I do have four more left, so I will be letting them settle for a few months before I light another one. I am hoping that it helps bring out the character that I have enjoyed with other Torano cigars. For now, I don't see myself picking these againfrom the first impression that I got.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carlos Torano Fortress Review-firstthird.jpg   Carlos Torano Fortress Review-last.jpg  
    Last edited by CigarGeek; 05-20-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Full grown Puffer Fish birdiemc's Avatar

Re: Carlos Torano Fortress Review

way to jump in there and start reviewing cigars....i've been around for a few months and still havent' taken that plunge. good to know this one needs some rest cuz i have some in the mail right now. if i remember correctly i've been told torano's need over 6 months....

Thanks for the review Al.

Brady is right, if you can rest these for 6 months or more, you will be very surprised at the difference it makes. Had one a few days ago & it was very enjoyable...
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

Way to contribute! Keep it up. Like the review style, too.

I am a Torano whore and have tried to smoke every different Torano. I have to say two things about Torano cigars, they become money with a year or more of age and, to me, they just seem to smoke better at lower RH.

OK, maybe three (or more) things. The Fortress I smoked was about eleven months old and produced bunches of creamy smoke that almost seemed to paint itself on my mouth. The flavor was sweet and woody with only hints of pepper and leather. Started as a solid medium body and near the end bumped in and out of a full body/strength cigar.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Guys - Thanks for the encouragement. I have enjoyed some other Torano sticks before and they have been exceptional, however most have been bought that the local shop. I didnít know that this review wasn't a surprise since it seems like common knowledge that they need a little rest before lighting them up. I will be ageing these and I hope to report back something more positive by the end of the year.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Like Bruce, I am a Torano whore.

However, the Fortress, IMO does not live up to the Torano name.
    It is a decent stick but it lacks the substance that I am accustomed to getting with the Toranos.
    And this is even with prolonged rest (1+ years). I have tried them progressively and they have improved, indeed, but the flavor just is lacking for me. I have a few more left (almost two years old) and I will finish them, though. Maybe they have gotten better. I hope so.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

I was looking through the humidor today and came across this cigar and thought to myself it has been a while since I was on the forum. So I decided to try this after resting for about two months now.
    I have to say that this second one was a lot better then the first one I had. To start off with, it began with some nice spice when I lit it up. The burn was a lot better this go around and stayed pretty even until the halfway mark. I was able to even it out, but it continued to become uneven as I smoked it down to the end. At the second third, the coffee came through better and kept getting the hint of coffee through out the second third. The last third gave me a very nice spice and it finished off pretty good.

A much better experience on the second one and it makes me think that this cigar needs some rest before you can have a good experience with it.

Great review Al. I am not a Torano fan, but hey that's just me. I've given a few of the different Torano blends, what I like to call the $100 test. Like everything cigar, one man's distaste, is another's favorite. It's what makes our community special. Keep it up with the great reviews.
    Last edited by 36Bones; 07-15-2012 at 04:33 PM.