Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Belicoso Maduro Torpedo Review

This is a discussion on Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Belicoso Maduro Torpedo Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; This is my first Don Pepin cigar and I'm still pretty much a noob so take that into consideration when ...

Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Belicoso Maduro Torpedo Review

This is my first Don Pepin cigar and I'm still pretty much a noob so take that into consideration when reading this review.

I had an equally stressful/rewarding week so I was looking forward to sitting on my balcony and having a cigar this afternoon. I picked up this Don Pepin which looked beautiful with a dark brown wrapper and sharp looking band. It clipped very easily and lighting it was a breeze. I was hit by a huge blast of pepper from the start that left the tip of my tongue tingling. This amount of pepper was new to me in a cigar and it was almost too much to be honest. After about half an inch the pepper subsided (but was still strong) and I could taste a background of sweet chocolate. I was impressed by the amount of flavour this cigar had and the volumes amounts of smoke coming from the almost perfect draw. I did have a number of burn issues that had to be touched up during smoking this cigar.

About halfway through this cigar a spiciness entered the mix and the pepper was replaced by what I think may be what people call a leather flavour. This may sound strange but this cigar made me almost feel full and I had to almost push myself to keep smoking it. Even though I appreciate the amount of flavour this cigar had it was a bit too much for me and I had to stop smoking it with about a third left.

I don't think this cigar is for me but I could see someone who likes this kind of flavour profile (pepper) loving this cigar a great deal. I'm curious if all the Don Peppin's are like this because I liked how flavourful this was but not the profile itself.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Belicoso Maduro Torpedo Review

Very nice review Robert. Just a question, have you had many NCs? I've found that some of the Maduros (the Undercrown especially) are very heavy flavored and can leave you feeling full. Usually having a smaller vitola can help with that.

Hey Brent, thanks. I have not had a lot of NC's. I've only started to get into NCs because CC's are very pricy here in Canada. Thanks for the tip about the undercrown. I have some undercrown robustos on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    Very nice review Robert. Just a question, have you had many NCs? I've found that some of the Maduros (the Undercrown especially) are very heavy flavored and can leave you feeling full. Usually having a smaller vitola can help with that.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

If you are more used to CC's, you may want to check out some of the cigars usually labeled as "medium bodied" online. Generally anything in a little lighter shade wrapper will be lighter bodied or lighter flavored. I'd say check out Tatuaje, but they are usually known for having pepper. I'm sure other people could chime in with good suggestions (if that is what you were looking for).

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Nice review! From what I understand, most DPGs tend to be on the peppery side.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I don't know, I've had the smaller vitola of these, I think the selectos? I didn't find them spicy at all but very sweet.
    My palate sux lol
    Veni Vidi Vici

Lou, I wouldn't say that! Everyone's taste are different.

Quote Originally Posted by loulax07 View Post
    I don't know, I've had the smaller vitola of these, I think the selectos? I didn't find them spicy at all but very sweet.
    My palate sux lol

Brent I think you're on the money with the lighter shade wrappers. I think I want to like maduros after reading about it but the more of them I try the more I realize they might not be for me. I'm going to give some more a try but I think I'm too used to (and love) the CC taste of a lighter wrapper. But hey, that's part of the fun of this hobby right? Trying new stuff and seeing where your tastes take you.

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    If you are more used to CC's, you may want to check out some of the cigars usually labeled as "medium bodied" online. Generally anything in a little lighter shade wrapper will be lighter bodied or lighter flavored. I'd say check out Tatuaje, but they are usually known for having pepper. I'm sure other people could chime in with good suggestions (if that is what you were looking for).

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
    I think I want to like maduros after reading about it but the more of them I try the more I realize they might not be for me. I'm going to give some more a try but I think I'm too used to (and love) the CC taste of a lighter wrapper. But hey, that's part of the fun of this hobby right? Trying new stuff and seeing where your tastes take you.
    Well done review! It's your impression of the cigar, which is one that I've wondered about for a while now. I personally like a maduro every so often, but I try to space them out a bit because they can be a bit too rich for me, kind of like eating a really rich brownie!

I feel the same way about the experience of trying new cigars. It's a great feeling when you find a cigar that really works for you, but there are plenty of very average cigars along the way. I don't think you'll find anything that quite compares to the taste of CCs, but there are some great NCs out there nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!