Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Arturo Fuente Anejo No. 77 (Shark) Review

This is a discussion on Arturo Fuente Anejo No. 77 (Shark) Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Tonight was the first night without 20mph winds to ruin a smoking experience in just about a week, so I ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Arturo Fuente Anejo No. 77 (Shark) Review

Tonight was the first night without 20mph winds to ruin a smoking experience in just about a week, so I decided to try something highly rated. An AF Anejo seemed to fit the bill perfectly, so that's what I chose.

Cigar:
    Arturo Fuente Anejo No. 77 (Shark) ( 5.8" x 54 )
    I was traded this cigar in the NST by Protekk a few months ago. Thanks Mike. Since then it has sat in my cooler at about 62-65% RH. On the cello was written 2011, so it was probably just about 6 months old.

Initial Impression and Light:
    This cigar has a very unique shape in that it is boxy towards the foot and round towards the cap and tapers down the same way. The wraper was a beautiful dark color with a smooth slightly oily sheen. The wapper had minimal veins and just a little tooth not very even throughout. The smell was very light with tobacco and cognac. Upon clipping the cap the draw was slightly tight but not too bad. I lit the cigar with my soft flame lighter.

The Smoke:
    The cigar started off with a moderate woodiness with light cognac after taste and cedar in the retrohale. About a half-inch I noticed the smoke started getting very oily and coated my mouth. After that point, it made it hard to taste anything. I kept going hoping for a change but that didn't happen. I started noticing the nic kick right around the half way point and it kept getting stronger to the end. The burn was decent, keeping relatively straight but I did need to touch it up one time. The total burn time, down to about an inch left, took about an hour and a half.

Final Thoughts:
    In all my readings on the Anejos, I haven't heard of anyone having the same experience that I had. I'd be intereted in hearing if anyone has had a similar experience or if anyone has any ideas on why things went the way they went.

Below is the burn progression

Re: Arturo Fuente Anejo No. 77 (Shark) Review

thanks for the review.... IMO, anejos smoke best ROTT, and after about a year's rest.
    "Donít congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either Ė your choices are half chance, so are everybody elseís"- Mary Schmich

Now that I think about this more, I'm kind of wondering if there was some foreign matter inside the cigar that gave off that oilyness.

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    Now that I think about this more, I'm kind of wondering if there was some foreign matter inside the cigar that gave off that oilyness.
    Sounds more like over humidification Brent but a very good honest review.

This is what reviews should be. An honest account of YOUR journey through a cigar, not what you think it should be. I applaud honesty on the boards.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

I too applaud the honesty of this review. I think, especially with very highly rated cigars, there is a tendency to follow the hype when at the end of the day all that matters is what you thought about the cigar and whether you liked it.

There are some sites where every single review states the cigar they are smoking is great. How can you trust anything coming from such a site?

Puffer Fish with some spikes RWalleyTX's Avatar

Did that cutter work on this?
    "Smoke less, but smoke the best"

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Good solid review!
    I don't recall getting that oilyness from an anejo before but that's just me. I have smoked them in the B&M before (so fairly fresh) and they were okay but mostly I buy them and squirrel them away.

Quote Originally Posted by RWalleyTX View Post
    Did that cutter work on this?
    The cutter works but it takes a few cuts. I really should get a new one.

I contacted Fuente Cigars and they offered to send me a new one. I'll be sure to update this whenever I smoke the next one.