Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Torpedo

This is a discussion on Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Torpedo within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Second cigar this weekend and this Rocky Patel was almost the polar opposite of the Don Pepin JJ Maduro I ...

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Torpedo

Second cigar this weekend and this Rocky Patel was almost the polar opposite of the Don Pepin JJ Maduro I had on Friday. Again this is just a noob's perceptions while he tries to find NC's he likes so take that into consideration .

I like the look of this cigar with a simple band and a dark, oily wrapper. This cigar stood out in my humidor because of the sheen the oily wrapper gave off. I could feel the oil on my fingers while holding this cigar. This did not clip as easy as the Don Pepin nor did it light as easy. Both the draw and the amounts of smoke it gave off where not great until about the half way point and given the flavour profile I am wondering if a) I should have let this rest more after shipping (18 days after 8 days of travel) or b) I should start storing my cigars at 65% RH vs closer to 70% that I am currently storing everything.

The burn on this cigar and the amount of ash it held was great in my opinion. No complaints there.

At the very start the flavour was mostly black coffee with a hint of something bitter (can't put my finger on it). From about a inch in to all the way to a 1/4 left the flavour mellowed out considerably with just a hint of coffee and cream (but really faint). The smoke was very smooth but that might have been more of a factor of not much flavour going on. I found myself rushing through this cigar at times in the hope of picking up more flavour. This only lead to a bitterness entering the picture and forced me to slow down.

Having said all this I found myself enjoying this rather mellow smoke and kept going to a 1/4 left where things really changed. I guess there is a time and place for a mellow smoke.

The flavour got noticebly stronger with what I think was leather with a taste of caremel coming in now and then (this really surprised me). This was the only NC I have actually nubbed which leads me to believe it is worth another try. Part of me still wishes I could find something in between the flavour bomb that was the Don Peppin and the mellowness that was this Rocky Patel. I could see myself reaching for a milder/more mellow cigar down the road. I just wish there was something along these lines that still had a more prevalent flavour to it.

Re: Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Torpedo

The 1992 is one of my favorites. Try one at 65%. It should smoke better and have more flavor. I've never had the Don Peppin so I can't compare the two, but my experience is that the RP 92 is much better at lower RH.
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

Thanks for the suggestion Darrel!

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelMorris View Post
    The 1992 is one of my favorites. Try one at 65%. It should smoke better and have more flavor. I've never had the Don Peppin so I can't compare the two, but my experience is that the RP 92 is much better at lower RH.

I love the 92! It's one of my favorites. I'm at 65%
    Thanks for the review!
    Gazelle intensity!

Thanks for the review. I have to try that RP-I havent had it in a while. I recently had a Don Pepin Cuban Classic that I loved. They're two completely different animals. I keep my humis at 63% to 67%. You may want to give the RP a shot in that range and see how you like them.