Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Man O' War Runiation Box Pressed Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Man O' War Runiation Box Pressed Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Cigar: Man O' War Runiation Box Pressed Robusto ( 5.5" x 52 ) I recieved this cigar in the Noob ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Man O' War Runiation Box Pressed Robusto Review

Cigar:
    Man O' War Runiation Box Pressed Robusto ( 5.5" x 52 )
    I recieved this cigar in the Noob PIF from Smoke.One a couple weeks ago. Thanks Sam. Since then it has sat in my cooler at about 62% RH. This is not a normal production vitola as far as I can tell. I have only seen this as part of a box pressed sampler from cigar.com.

Initial Impression and Light:
    This cigar has very impressive construction. Beautiful evenly colored dark brown wrapper with a few medium veins running throughout and a slightly oily sheen. The seems were carefully concealed and the cigar was firm but not hard. The smell was a moderate hay smell. Upon clipping the cap the draw seemed slightly firm and gave off a slightly sweet tobacco taste. The cigar lit pretty easily with my soft flame lighter.

The Smoke:
    Right after lighting, the cigar started off nice and spicy with mostly leather flavors. As things continued, I noticed the draw gave a nice sweet/spicy green pepper flavor and developed into varying ratios of leather and creme with an underlying light spicy pepper on the finish. At some points there were hints of chocolate. Down into the second third the flavors changed drastically to a very rich oak and coffee. Somewhere around this point I noticed that the humidity outside was very high with lightning in the distance. From my experience, this seems to muddle the flavors and affect the burn and this was no exception. This is probably not the best circumstances to review a cigar, but it is what it is. The flavors continued until just about the final third where I decided to put it down. At this point the cigar was very spongy and overhumidified. The nic kick was pretty strong at this point as well. The burn before the humidity started affecting things was great, even, but not razor sharp. The ash held on the for the first third and was a dark color. The total burn time was about an hour and a half but probably could have gone two hours down to the nub.

Final Thoughts:
    This was a very impressive cigar, and not just for the price. I recommend checking this one out if you are a fan of full-flavored, medium to full bodied smokes.

Below is the burn progression

Re: Man O' War Runiation Box Pressed Robusto Review

Thanks for the review of my now favorite cigar! I have not seen the box press but will be on the look out for them now.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Connecticut Puffer

I didnt even know they made a box press on these.

I'm becoming a MoW fan. Great review, Brent. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaysalti's Avatar

Great job on the burn pics! I'm a big fan of this smoke, and agree with the construction notes. I picked up the box-pressed sticks in the CI sampler on the deevil, and was pleased with both price and construction quality of each cigar. I'm not sure if they are offered out-side of that sampler, but it's hard to beat for < $3/stick including an Armada. I'm thinking you are correct in blaming Mother Nature for the burn issue, as I have had none with the several MoW smokes so far.

Review
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Wow, I can't believe that I forgot to mention that even though the pre-light draw seemed tight, once it was lit is was almost perfect, maybe even a little on the loose side. Great easy draw for an easy smoke.

Full grown Puffer Fish Smoke0ne's Avatar

Great review Brent. They get even better with some time on them. That one came from the aforementioned MOW box-pressed sampler that you can find time to time on the devil site. It includes an Armada, which I have yet to try, but multiple reviews on it all say it is great.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Pandyboy's Avatar

Nice review, I've had the robusto and thought it was a nice smoke!