Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Jamison Declaration

This is a discussion on Jamison Declaration within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Jamison Declaration Total smoking time: 1hr, 39 min. Time in humi: 11 months at 64% Total Age: Unknown, but was ...

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Jamison Declaration

Jamison Declaration

Total smoking time: 1hr, 39 min.

Time in humi:
    11 months at 64%

Total Age:
    Unknown, but was fresh when received via a PIF from Kapathy last July.

Prelight:
    Firm cigar, very firm. Slightly toothy wrapper, beautiful deep brown leather appearance. Label is very modern, you'd see a guy at a UFC fight wearing this on his tshirt. Prelight draw is tight, but not too tight.

First third:
    Begins nicely, baking chocolate and baking spices, both fairly mild Notes of wood and a bit of leather. So far not a premium stick, but decent. At this point my nose is dry, but a bit stuffy, might be allergies, so my palate might not be as sensitive as normal. Burn is initially a bit wavy. As the first third progresses, the flavors are medium in body, wood at the forefront. Good flavors, but not well balanced, I'm very muchwishing the balance was a tipped in favor of the chocolate and spice and that the wood would take a backseat. Leather fades in as the wood dials down a bit. Balance is better now, but I still would prefer more. About an inch and half in, suddenly the balance is right. Cocoa is more prominent and the wood finally takes a backseat. Still a bit oaky for my taste, but much better. Also a bit of pepper on the retrohale adds character. Ash still hasn't fallen and seems quite firm.

Second third:
    As I'm typing about the ash, it falls unceremoniously all over my lap and reading. Simultaneously, the pleasantness wears off a bit. The balance of flavors remain, but there's a slightly harsh edge to it. After a 45 second break, I find the cigar requires a relight. The dry wood is back again, but green (ie fresh, uncured) hardwood this time. Not sappy, exactly, or pine-y at all, just... green. Maybe like dandelion almost. Its an herbal bitterness, perhaps. Though it's not strong, it's not great, and I'm missing the cocoa. The retrohale gives a bit of the richness back, but not enough to counteract the green wood flavor. Burn line remains decent, not a single touch-up -excluding the relight- has been necessarily so far, though I sense I can't leave it alone for long if I want to avoid another relight. Draw remains tight, but not overwhelmingly so. As I hit the halfway mark, the flavors take on a slightly harsh tone again. A purge helps, but doesn't entirely fix the problem. That "green" tint continues to detract from otherwise decent balance of bakers chocolate and leather.

Final third:
    The chocolate is back to more of a cocoa, the leather and wood remain, and the three take turns taking the lead, but always with that "green" tint. Retrohaling helps the richness play a larger part, and the harshness has faded considerably. The draw is fairly right, and it dies again with about two inches left. I leave it out.

Conclusion:
    Probably not a cigar I would try again. While it seemed to have potential, I think it simply can't compare to the quality of flavor, or balance of flavors
    I'm used to, even in budget cigars.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Re: Jamison Declaration

well thats unfortunate..... i never had one that was so harsh. i havent had one since prob around the time i sent that one so I cant really recall the profile but i do know that this used to be one of my go-to sticks so thats a little upsetting that the one I sent behaved so poorly.
    you should see a dr for erections lasting longer than 4 hours, does that apply to e-peens as well?

Plenty of rest that's for sure. Enjoyed the review, Derek. I dig the band.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kapathy View Post
    well thats unfortunate..... i never had one that was so harsh. i havent had one since prob around the time i sent that one so I cant really recall the profile but i do know that this used to be one of my go-to sticks so thats a little upsetting that the one I sent behaved so poorly.
    I may have worded it too strongly. Both the slight harshness that crept in at points, and the "green wood" flavors were very, very subtle, just tinting the flavor, not overwhelming it. I wonder if I may have mishandled the cigar at some point as well... I know it sat in my travel humi for a week when I first got it, and it's possible it dried out a little too much during that time and lost something? At any rate, it certainly wasn't a bad cigar by any means, but it certainly surprised me that I enjoyed the Southbound more! Might just be my personal flavor preferences?
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    I may have worded it too strongly. Both the slight harshness that crept in at points, and the "green wood" flavors were very, very subtle, just tinting the flavor, not overwhelming it. I wonder if I may have mishandled the cigar at some point as well... I know it sat in my travel humi for a week when I first got it, and it's possible it dried out a little too much during that time and lost something? At any rate, it certainly wasn't a bad cigar by any means, but it certainly surprised me that I enjoyed the Southbound more! Might just be my personal flavor preferences?
    Yeah Im not sure I havent had any in my humi for a while, just because I've been chasing other boxes, but I for sure will be ordering a box in the future and will gladly send you another sample to try.... perhaps this is one that doesnt like to sit to long... I dunno. I never had one that was over a year, I smoked through my box starting after 3-4 months rest and finished them around 10 months.
    you should see a dr for erections lasting longer than 4 hours, does that apply to e-peens as well?