Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Las Cabrillas Ponce de Leon Review

This is a discussion on Las Cabrillas Ponce de Leon Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I saw these while browsing the Total Wine web site, and decided to pick up a couple on my next ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Las Cabrillas Ponce de Leon Review

I saw these while browsing the Total Wine web site, and decided to pick up a couple on my next visit. They caught my attention largely because of their Mexican filler and binder, which i don't have a lot of experience with.

This is a lonsdale, perhaps a slightly oversize lonsdale, at 6.62 x 44. It is made in Honduras with Mexican filler and binder, and a Connecticut shade wrapper. Prelight it smelled tart, earthy, and barnyard-ish.

It's rather an attractive cigar in a rustic sort of way. The wrapper displays a lot of veins, some of them pretty coarse, and the overall shape is not perfectly cylindrical. In this it reminds me a little bit of a Fuente curlyhead. There was even one fairly significant vein running almost all the way around the circumference of the cigar, which I expected might cause some burn issues. Nevertheless, I lit it, notched it, and drew my first taste - earth and leather with a strong, dry creamy feeling.

Over the course of the smoke, the initial offering of earth and leather receded, giving way to grassy, green tea and occasional floral nuances. The dry creaminess persisted, with an overall mildly sweet flavor profile throughout the burn, except that a little past halfway I gave it a little gentle purge to clear up some harshness. The flavor profile cleared right up and I enjoyed the rest of the cigar.

Contrary to my expectations, there were no burn issues at all - it burned like a true champ all the way.

The only downside to this cigar was an unusually strong, ashy aftertaste when I finished. But a quick rinse with cheap mouthwash cleared that right out, so it wasn't much of an issue.

I paired this cigar with a Dark & Stormy cocktail, and it was a yummy match.

For less than $3.50 per stick at the B&M, this is a very promising addition to the rotation. It nicely fills a niche for milder flavors. I will be picking up a few to rest and see how they mature.

NOTE: It doesn't come with two bands - I photographed bands from my cigar and from one I gave a friend the same day.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Re: Las Cabrillas Ponce de Leon Review

Thanks for the review Mike. I agree with you that this is an attractive looking cigar!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: Las Cabrillas Ponce de Leon Review

When I was in college, the Las Cabrillas robustos (Cortez, maybe?) could be had for $1.80 at one of the shops I frequented. I bought two the first time I saw them. Smoked the first one, and it was absolutely awful. Several months later, I found the second one in the bottom of the humidor and decided to give it another try. That one was surprisingly good, and I smoked quite a few of them (always with a few months rest) when I couldn't afford much else.