Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Carlos Torano Casa Torano Review

This is a discussion on Carlos Torano Casa Torano Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Quick personal note before the review: I haven't been smoking cigars very long, and this is my first week on ...

Full grown Puffer Fish jobes2007's Avatar

Carlos Torano Casa Torano Review

Quick personal note before the review:

I haven't been smoking cigars very long, and this is my first week on this site. As an exercise for myself this summer, I'm trying to do reviews of different cigars that I smoke. I think that forcing myself to think about what I've smoked will help me realize what I like and dislike more. What this means for you reading this is that these reviews are coming from a very new smoker, who has not tried a lot of different cigars, and who does not have the most refined taste. If no one wants to hear my opinion, I respect that, and I'll keep these reviews to myself for my own notekeeping purposes. However, I'm hoping I can offer either a fresh or different perspective, or maybe just a review for someone who is also new. Any comments/criticisms/suggestions will be taken happily, as long as they're not too harsh, haha. I'm trying to grow as a smoker here and, hopefully, this will be the start of my journey. Okay, on to the review!

The "Stick" Facts:

The Casa Toranos I smoked were of the Robusto size, 4 3/4 x 52. They come in a few other standard sizes, and also in a Maduro variety. The strength is listed as mild. The cigar has a Connecticut wrapper, with Nicaraguan bindings, and a blend of Central and South American tobaccos making up the filler.

The Conditions:

The cigars were smoked indoors, so there was no wind interference or anything like that, while watching TV. As far as beverages go: normally while smoking the Casa Torano I was drinking a light iced tea, which I felt complimented it very well. If not tea, then water. The cigars were lit with wooden matches, and touched up, if needed, with my Zippo (I personally don't taste anything different from using it for touch ups as I try to get the best fluid for my lighter). I cut each one with a standard two blade, nothing fancy.

The Burn/Smoke/Ash:

The Casa Torano lit very well for me, and I believe one burned a little more unevenly than I prefer, but after a small touch up it was fine. The ash did not flake onto my clothes or anything, which I always appreciate, and held on for a good 1.5 - 2 inches. The draw from this was incredibly easy, each puff giving me a ton of cool, white smoke. This was one of the easiest burning cigars I have tried, and that definitely contributed to my liking it.

The Flavor:

The cigar had a very earthy, woodsy smell to it. The best way I could describe the smell would be that this seems like a cigar I would take camping with me, if that makes any sense.

First Third:
    The first few draws of the Casa Torano were incredibly smooth and creamy, with just a little tiny bit of sweet hints. After a few more puffs it began to switch back and forth from a creamy smoke to a slightly peppery one and, while a little more pepper wouldn't have hurt it, the beginning of this cigar was very enjoyable. More pepper was detected through the nose, but I don't retrohale very often, only a few times each third.

Second Third: Moving into the middle of this stick the pepper was much more present, but not more pronounced. It is absolutely a mild cigar, which is fine with me. The creaminess was also switched out for more of a woody/nutty flavoring, which again was really enjoyable. Really, this third made the (what I take to be a) farm background on the band make a lot of sense, and again, the idea of taking this cigar with when I go camping came to mind.

Final Third: I was kind of hoping the creaminess from the beginning of the smoke would come back towards the end, and there were hints of it, but it was not as present. The pepper took a complimentary background to a more natural tobacco taste, and right before it was over there was just the smallest kick of pepper to remind you it was there.

The Final Thoughts:

This is a cigar I would not mind having in my humidor at all, but which I wouldn't rush out to replace if I ran out. It again went very well with the iced tea, and I think it would be a great cigar to sit outside and relax with. Ideal times for this cigar, in my opinion: sitting outside relaxing after work, or possibly with a morning coffee (although I cannot completely attest to that, and I would recommend a very light/sweet cup of coffee to go with it so that the mildness of the Casa Torano isn't overpowered).

Overall, this was a great introduction to Torano cigars for me, and I will certainly be checking out more. I will probably order a five pack, or two, of this in the future, likely in the Robusto or Toro.

I give the Carlos Torano Casa Torano a solid 8/10.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: Carlos Torano Casa Torano Review

Very nice review Joey. Even though you say differently, it looks like you could have been doing this for a while.

The Casa Torano is one of the Toranos that I haven't tried, but I've loved most everything else I've tried from Torano. This sounds like a good one.

That is a very good review for anyone and even better coming from a Noob! Being the Torano whore that I am, I always look to see how others describe them. Though a little mild for me, the casa is a fine cigar as are all the other cigars from the Torano Family. hope to read more of your Torano reviews.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Full grown Puffer Fish jobes2007's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    That is a very good review for anyone and even better coming from a Noob! Being the Torano whore that I am, I always look to see how others describe them. Though a little mild for me, the casa is a fine cigar as are all the other cigars from the Torano Family. hope to read more of your Torano reviews.
    Well, I'm glad to have such good feedback! I've done numerous other reviews of different products, and I'm a bit of a review/criticism whore as it's something I've always considered as a career possibility (I'm an English/Creative Writing major currently). I have a Fortress sitting in my humidor right now, but besides that, I have no more Toranos. Any recommendations on what to try next from them? I don't know if Puff has one of those "guides" on their cigars they sometimes do, but I love those things.