Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review

This is a discussion on Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; The Cabaiguan Robusto Extra Size: 5.2 x 50 Wrapper: Ecuadorian grown Conn Binder/Filler: Nicaraguan Price: $9(ish) Another Pepin blended Tatuaje ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaysalti's Avatar

Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review

Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review-photo1.jpg

The Cabaiguan Robusto Extra

Size: 5.2 x 50
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian grown Conn
    Binder/Filler: Nicaraguan
    Price: $9(ish)

Another Pepin blended Tatuaje winner...

This stick sports a nice tan wrapper that is blemish free, has minimal veins, and clean seams. The smell of sweet and floral tobacco is light on the wrapper and dense at the foot. The draw is fairly snug at pre-light and offers a nice tobacco and sweet spice taste.

The smoke opens with a very nice sweet tabacco, light leather and spice. The finish transition is quick and provides a light pepper flavor. Although snug, there is plenty o smoke.

Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review-photo2.jpg

15 minutes in, the sweetness has mellowed out and balanced with a light spice. The finish scales back in intensity as well, and is now a white pepper and earth. The nose has quite a punch for a milder stick, and needs to be respected with a controlled retro-hale. Doing so opens a spicy bouquet with floral hints that is very satisfying.

Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review-photo3.jpg

The ash falls at the conclusion of the first third. Creamy sweet tobacco and deeper spices mark the change and grow in both draw and finish to the halfway point, then maintain the same profile through the rest of the second third.

Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review-photo4.jpg

Again, the ash falls on it's own at the conclusion of the 2nd third. The draw keeps a deeper spice and earth, with hints of wood and pepper coming through. It's very interesting to have such a full, deep flavor from what is billed as a milder cigar, and reminds me of the Elegancia in how it picks up thorugh the final two thirds in intensity and strenght. The mouthfeel becomes slightly oily and coats the palate thoroughly. The nose has dropped the floral notes, and the focus is on those same nice deep spices with hints of wood.

Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review-photo5.jpg
    Final smoke time was 60 enjoyable minutes. It could have gone longer, but I like a very cool smoke.

Conclusion:

4 out of 5 smokes

Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review-photo6.jpg

This was a very enjoyable smoke for me. It offered a lighter character early on, focusing on the sweeter notes, then starts it's move toward a balanced sweet and spice. It's picks up speed and transitions seamlessly into a full deep spice stick, giving the nod to it's Pepin brethren. As I stated, this reminded me of the San Cristobal Elegancia in the way that it transitioned (which is another milder stick I love), and challenges the notion that all light wrapped Conn sticks don't pack a punch. I wouldn't hesitate to nab more of these at the next chance I get and would encourage any other fellow puffers out there to give it a shot. I'd suggest it as an excellent way to start your day or begin your evening, but would suggest a bite to eat first.

Many thanks to Shuckins for his generosity in bombing this newb with such a fine stick.
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

Re: Cabaiguan by Tatuaje Review

Awsome review brother! I too was bombed one of these by shuckins, and it smells soooo good lol. I cant wait to light it up, thanks for the review.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaysalti's Avatar

Thank you! Was def a great way to spend the prevening, and certainly more stick than I was expecting. You won't be disappointed when you decide to snag it out of the humi.
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Max_Power's Avatar

Great review. I've really enjoyed a lot of what the Garcias have done with ct wrappers. Between Cabaiguan, the elegancia, and the limited le bijou ct edition and th JG new England exclusive there are some amazing Connies available that are anything but mild and boring.
    That which is falling, should also be pushed